FedEx / UPS Vacation Hold?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rgs92

FedEx / UPS Vacation Hold?

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am

Has anyone ever used FedEx or UPS Vacation Hold where, on your online account, you block out a few weeks on your calendar and they hold all deliveries for you until the hold ends?
Does this really work?
Thanks.

Pajamas

Re: FedEx / UPS Vacation Hold?

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I have done it with USPS and it was difficult actually getting the mail on returning. Eventually went down to the post office and they couldn't find it. The held mail showed up all at once a week or so later. So I would be very hesitant about doing this if there were other options available such as having someone else accept the packages.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 pm
I have done it with USPS and it was difficult actually getting the mail on returning. Eventually went down to the post office and they couldn't find it. The held mail showed up all at once a week or so later. So I would be very hesitant about doing this if there were other options available such as having someone else accept the packages.
It’s my experience that the USPS is grossly incompetent. I’ve had good luck with FedEx doing these sorts of things. Not a lot of experience with UPS.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Never a issue with USPS. I have used the hold service and redirect service once each with UPS, again no issue.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 pm

We use USPS hold all the time. Never an issue. But never tried it with UPS or FedEx. I just make sure we don't order anything that might be delivered while we are gone.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:03 pm

We've used USPS hold service regularly and find it works with glitches. So much depends upon the individual PO and especially the individual letter carrier.

No experience with FedEx even though we have an account with them and get notices when packages are shipped/due.

I'm interested in hearing more actual experiences with the UPS hold service. We have a complimentary MyChoice account with them, Whenever we've tried to get them to hold something or forward it to a different address, I recall it's always had a fee ($5 ??) associated with each package or the need to sign up for the paid version of MyChoice. Reading here, https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/s ... -hold.page, it looks like only a limited hold is available and redirect depends upon address. It's not clear if you have to pickup or they deliver at end of hold.

discman017

Post by discman017 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:31 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am
Has anyone ever used FedEx or UPS Vacation Hold where, on your online account, you block out a few weeks on your calendar and they hold all deliveries for you until the hold ends?
Does this really work?
Sure, it works. In my experience UPS reliably delivers the packages on the stated date (first business day after the end of the hold). FedEx sometimes takes a day or two more for some reason. But everything gets delivered, and I don't have packages sitting at my door while I'm gone.

With FedEx, you can set a vacation hold for free. To set a hold with UPS, I believe UPS requires a MyChoice Premium account ($40 a year, although discount codes are frequently available).

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 am

I use the USPS hold service approximately 10 times a year for the past four years. I have NEVER had a problem. I choose to receive the mail on the first postal delivery day I am back and it arrives. Should I get home a couple days early, I run down and pick it up from the post office which takes about five minutes.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks discman017 for that.
I appreciate all the comments, but I was specifically asking about UPS/FedEx deliveries.

Of course I have had my mail held from the post office all my life and it's a normal thing that seems to have always worked, but I have actually never heard of anyone who has ever used this for UPS/Fedex. And it seems like a big deal, because you are asking them to perform a storage function for what could theoretically be a lot of big boxes.

I was actually thinking of using this for moving, shipping a bunch of boxes I don't want to give to a mover and having UPS/Fedex hold them until I got to to where I was going to pick them up (or have them delivered as normal).

I don't see any limit on the number of boxes you can do this with.

It seems like a free way getting short term storage.

Again, I am not asking about post office mail-holding. But thanks for those who are trying to help anyway. I appreciate it.

discman017

Post by discman017 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 am
Of course I have had my mail held from the post office all my life and it's a normal thing that seems to have always worked, but I have actually never heard of anyone who has ever used this for UPS/Fedex. And it seems like a big deal, because you are asking them to perform a storage function for what could theoretically be a lot of big boxes.

I was actually thinking of using this for moving, shipping a bunch of boxes I don't want to give to a mover and having UPS/Fedex hold them until I got to to where I was going to pick them up (or have them delivered as normal).

I'm not aware of a limit on the number of boxes either. There's a limit on the duration of the vacation hold, which is right around two weeks with both FedEx and UPS. Assuming that's long enough for you, I don't see a problem with your plan.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm

discman017 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm
rgs92 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 am

I'm not aware of a limit on the number of boxes either. There's a limit on the duration of the vacation hold, which is right around two weeks with both FedEx and UPS. Assuming that's long enough for you, I don't see a problem with your plan.
Do you have a reference for the two week duration you mention?

See my link above from UPS that says "Yes, we can hold your eligible packages at The UPS Store, a UPS customer center, a UPS Access Point™ location, or at one of our partner retail locations.

If you are a UPS My Choice® member, The UPS Store and other UPS Access Point locations can hold your package for up to seven calendar days at no additional charge. Customer centers can hold your package for up to five business days.
"

discman017

Post by discman017 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm
Do you have a reference for the two week duration you mention?
In June, I set vacation holds for both FedEx and UPS. Both limited me to 14 days. My vacation was a bit longer than two weeks, so I started the hold a couple days into my vacation. Both held my packages for 14 days and delivered when I returned.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Personally, I would be uncomfortable telling any organization that I will be away. One just doesn't know who has access to that information. If possible, I prefer to have a neighbor get my mail when I'm away.