are mccormick gourmet spices better

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

Re: are mccormick gourmet spices better

Post by sksbog » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:00 pm
blackwhisker wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm
hello,

are mccormick gourmet spices better than the regular mccormick spices? how about compare with simply organic? or 365 brand?

i enjoy finding good spices to cook. but i am also curious why mccormick stock has gone up so much recently.

thanks.
blackwhisker,

Talk to your Indian friends and ask them where they get their spices.

KlangFool

Find an Indian grocery store in your city and pay a visit.
Ask for Shaan chicken grill tandoori spice.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm
Wow. Never knew that about cinnamon. Thanks. I thought it was supposed to be healthy.
Cinnamon is healthy. It is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, etc...v My post was not intended to discourage anyone from including it in their diet.

It was just a caution for people using large quantities of certain kinds of cinnamon. I tend to put a rounded teaspoon on my oatmeal every day. Most people do not use anywhere near as much.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 pm
Ha ha, I always see some interesting jar of spice and buy it on impulse, then I try it once and it sits on my shelf for 10 years until I finally resign myself to tossing it almost full.

(Somehow I think most jars of spices have this fate.)

I just use the ready made sea salt and pepper they sell in little grinders, along with cinnamon, regularly. Maybe some paprika is good, but paprika get awfully bitter if you leave it sit for a month or so.
(Does anybody know a good brand of Paprika? Thanks.)

Hot sauce is good too.

None of the jar spices taste anything like the fresh herbs and maybe fresh ground or pan-roasted stuff you might get in a good restaurant, so it's always disappointing. But I'm way too lazy to do that kind of thing at home.
Keep paprika in the fridge. Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks SpiritRider. Yep, that's a lot of cinnamon. I don't think I could handle that much at once.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:40 am
I buy all my herbs and spices in 1-pound packages on Amazon. I select organic versions, with many reviews and mostly positive reviews; I read selected reviews to understand the nuances. The Amazon prices for the things I buy range from $11 to $25 per pound, which is far less expensive than buying spices in small containers in stores. I bought my own containers and labeled them.
Other than crushed red pepper--which my wife goes through about a pound of a month--I can't imagine being able to actually use a pound of most spices before they went bad (meaning have lost much of their flavor and aroma). In many cases I don't even finish the little bottles before I have to throw them out. So this seems like a false economy to me. Or do you use exclusively whole spices?

That said, I do buy the larger containers of some spices at Costco/Sam's--who have thankfully re-sized most of their containers in the past couple of years from ginormous to merely quite large--because in most cases they cost less than the tiny-ass bottles at the grocery store. But freshness still becomes an issue over time.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 am

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 pm
...Search for Penzy’s Spices...
+1. We get everything there. Except the giant cinnamon at Costco.
+2 - Pennzy's is a great spice vendor, we do buy the giant paprika at Costco. For cinnamon I order whole sticks of Ceylon direct from overseas organic supplier and grind my own as we need it. A lot of cinnamon produced out of Vietnam and china is not actual cinnamon but a close relative.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 am

blackwhisker wrote:

are mccormick gourmet spices better than the regular mccormick spices? how about compare with simply organic? or 365 brand?
I would love the answer to this question too, because I have been buying the more expensive green capped bottles, and I have no idea if there is a real difference other than the "organic" label.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am

Dottie57 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

i enjoy finding good spices to cook. but i am also curious why mccormick stock has gone up so much recently.

thanks.
Order online . Search for Penzy’s Spices. Wonderful stuff and I have a store within 7 miles of me.
Am I missing something? Even something as simple as chili powder seems to cost ~3x more than alternatives:

7.5oz chili powder, $14 and penzeys, $6 on amazon (365)

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... /p-55/pd-s
https://smile.amazon.com/365-Everyday-V ... B074MGQ1R4

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 am

My favorites from Penzeys are:
Sunny Paris
Sweet Curry
Tsardust
Aleppo Pepper
Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning
Dried shallots
Smoked Paprika

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 am

For those who are not particularly into cooking, Dollar General has a full line of spices.
Tim

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 am
For those who are not particularly into cooking, Dollar General has a full line of spices.
I do very little real "cooking", but enjoy quality herbs, spices and seasonings on my food. I am all for saving money, but there is being economical, frugal and miserly. Which do you think I believe this to be.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

bh7785 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am
Dottie57 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
Order online . Search for Penzy’s Spices. Wonderful stuff and I have a store within 7 miles of me.
Am I missing something? Even something as simple as chili powder seems to cost ~3x more than alternatives:

Yes, They are expensive. But some spices are really good. Different items are important to people.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 pm
rgs92 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm
Wow. Never knew that about cinnamon. Thanks. I thought it was supposed to be healthy.
Cinnamon is healthy. It is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, etc...v My post was not intended to discourage anyone from including it in their diet.

It was just a caution for people using large quantities of certain kinds of cinnamon. I tend to put a rounded teaspoon on my oatmeal every day. Most people do not use anywhere near as much.
I use the Vietnamese cinnamon on oatmeal too. It is slightly sweet to my taste.

Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

The Spice House and Penzey's are owned by members of the same family, FYI. Many of their blends are similar/identical but with different names. I have found The Spice House to be cheaper for most things but the quality from both is excellent.

My entire pantry is from these two places (except giant cumin/peppercorns/garlic powder/cinnamon from Costco) and from The Spice House I HIGHLY recommend:
Back of Yard's Butcher Rub (steak)
Pullman Pork (pork chops)
Milwaukee Iron (chicken/veg/pork/fish/shrimp)
Gateway to the North Maple Garlic (pork, fish - often do 50% this + 50% Milwaukee Iron on cedar planked salmon and is amazing)
Vulcan Fire Salt (AMAZING on hard boiled eggs)
Aleppo Pepper (pizza)

I am sure there are more I am forgetting but you get the drift. Well worth the money.

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Jamieson22 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

Vulcan Fire Salt (AMAZING on hard boiled eggs)
+1 on that Vulcan Salt. I find it works real well with grilled meats as well as fried eggs.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm

I've been very impressed with Trader Joe's spices, especially the crushed red pepper. It is actually very spicy.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 pm

bh7785 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am
Dottie57 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.

I suggest there is nothing simple about a high quality chile powder. Penzy's chile powder is quite good and worth it for my taste. But if the less expensive chile powder tastes fine to you than mucho gusto!

jbjeannine

Post by jbjeannine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm

The owner of Penzey's and the owner of The Spice House are brother and sister. Both have great products, but, because of the political rants of Bill Penzey I will no longer give them my business. The Spice House has the same products without the rants, so that's where I now purchase herbs and spices. One of my favorites is chili con carne - I use it whenever I would typically use chili powder.

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 pm

I love Penzey's spices, and Bill Penzey's sincere and heartfelt emails.

I kind of despise his Spice House sibling, who deliberately courts conservative media and bloggers with the message that their spices have "no politics." Clever marketing move, but pretty cynical compared to her brother.