are mccormick gourmet spices better

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
blackwhisker

are mccormick gourmet spices better

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm

hello,

are mccormick gourmet spices better than the regular mccormick spices? how about compare with simply organic? or 365 brand?

i enjoy finding good spices to cook. but i am also curious why mccormick stock has gone up so much recently.

thanks.

Dottie57

Re: are mccormick gourmet spices better

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm
hello,

are mccormick gourmet spices better than the regular mccormick spices? how about compare with simply organic? or 365 brand?

i enjoy finding good spices to cook. but i am also curious why mccormick stock has gone up so much recently.

thanks.
Order online . Search for Penzy’s Spices. Wonderful stuff and I have a store within 7 miles of me.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:00 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
blackwhisker,

Talk to your Indian friends and ask them where they get their spices.

KlangFool

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

thank you thank you Dottie57! it looks good. there is a store about 15 minutes from me. i will go soon. thanks for the valuable info!

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:11 pm

KlangFool,
thanks for the great suggestion! yes i will try! i read some indian people grind their own fresh spices with a coffee bean grinder. that sounds really good.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 pm
...Search for Penzy’s Spices...
+1. We get everything there. Except the giant cinnamon at Costco.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 pm

thanks daveydoo. i will try the giant cinnamon from Costco next time.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
...Search for Penzy’s Spices...
+1. We get everything there. Except the giant cinnamon at Costco.
Try the Vietnamese cinnamon sometime. I really like it.

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 pm

thanks for the suggestion Dottie57! i will definitely try it. i just bought 365 organic korintje cinnamon this week. i was not too impressed. i am sure pensey's has better cinnamon.

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Dottie57,
i think i mis-understood your message. did you mean the cinnamon from costco is good? if so, i will try it

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:39 pm

btw, i bought the giant bottle of california garlic powder from costco. it is good. but my giant bottle of costco black pepper doesn't seem that good. is it because my taste buds are getting too old?

Bogle7

Best spices

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 am

Savory Spice Shoppe
https://www.savoryspiceshop.com
I buy and have bought all my spices from store #1 for 10+ years.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 am

In most cases whole spices are vastly superior in taste than preground, and they keep longer.

The best ‘spice grinder’ I have found is a $25 magic bullet. Use it for all kind of spice mixes and individual spices. Cumin seed to ground cumin, incredibly fragrant. Then lightly toast it, even better.

I’m sure some spices are better than others, but freshness and using whole spices when available will up your game even more. The rule of thumb is to throw out any ground spice over six months old (I don’t always follow that, but I think whole spices last up to a year).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:40 am

I buy all my herbs and spices in 1-pound packages on Amazon. I select organic versions, with many reviews and mostly positive reviews; I read selected reviews to understand the nuances. The Amazon prices for the things I buy range from $11 to $25 per pound, which is far less expensive than buying spices in small containers in stores. I bought my own containers and labeled them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:26 am

Another recommendation for Penzey's: https://www.penzeys.com

More generally, the best spices are whole spices that you grind yourself when needed. I keep a set of jars for spices purchased whole in quantities I can go through in a year or so.

No clue what's up at McCormick, except that quality of a particular product line and the kinds of financial success that drive stock appreciation are not necessarily linked.

Ok, a quick Google suggests that their recent spike may be related to exceeding estimated for Q2 sales and profitability, especially in their "flavor solutions" business, which is not consumer-facing and so is neither their regular nor gourmet product lines. They also recently increased their dividend.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:29 am

And another person surprised to find there is a Penzeys retail storefront 7 miles from my house.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 am

I find Penzy's over priced. Some of the mixes are interesting, but I buy from local ethnic markets. The price differences are astonishing.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am

McCormick's just has a stranglehold on the grocery shelves, great for convenience, but are no better than any others imho. In the Chicago area and when travelling we will wander into oriental, middle eastern and Indian markets (Patel Bros) and get some of the best spices, almost always at a lower price.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am

Tdubs wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 am
I find Penzy's over priced. Some of the mixes are interesting, but I buy from local ethnic markets. The price differences are astonishing.
This is fair and accurate.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 am

I find McCormick spices to be very overpriced and never buy them. As another poster pointed out, they seem to get (aka buy) premium shelf space in many major supermarkets.

I cook with a lot of spices. I have never found there to be much of a difference in quality unless they are old (it's not like they're adding dirt in there to save money). I buy them at the local Indian market, Mexican Market or order them from Amazon (tends to be bigger quantities to make it worth it). Sometimes I buy them at Sam's or Costco, but they don't have every spice I use. Very basic spices I can buy cheap at Aldi or the dollar store.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 am

I don't think that McCormick gourmet is noticeably better than their regular brand. I notice that their Rosemary might look greener and not have as many broken pieces, but the taste is the same. I prefer to buy my spices at a local Italian store or Costco, and grind them in a mortar with a pestle. I get the exact grind I want.

I have a few blends from Penzeys. I was just in the shop a few days ago for their big giveaway. A lot of the blends smell awful to me, especially the steak seasonings. I brought our exchange student with me in hopes that she would find something she liked to take home with her. She didn't want anything because she didn't like the smell of the blends, either. I could walk around with a bag full of Sunny Paris under my nose all day, though. Their roasted garlic powder is excellent, too.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am

I agree with shopping for spices at ethnic markets. It seems Americans have an odd fear of spices with any significant amount of flavor and/or we just can't tell the difference. So we wind up with low quality pre-ground supermarket products in small bottles at outrageous prices.
Semper Augustus

danielrhall

Post by danielrhall » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:36 am

I'm yet another advocate for spice shopping in ethnic markets. The price difference compared to those small supermarket bottles is not subtle, and in some cases, it's astounding. Most whole spices will remain viable for a very long time on your shelf, so buying bulk is not an issue.

For those spices I cannot get in my local Asian and Indian markets, my online vendor of choice is My Spice Sage. Great selection, prices, free shipping, and a free sample with each order.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am

I can recommend Whole Spice in Napa, Calif. They sell online as well as at a retail store there.
https://wholespice.com/

Ethnic grocery stores are also a good option, and I'll add my +1 to the Costco cinnamon recommendation, too.

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
I just go to an Indian store, buy in bulk, and keep in sealed Mason jars. Doubt the brand name stuff is any better.

ALDI has some really cheap spices too but only a limited selection. It's like $1.20 or something for a bigger bottle than the McCormick stuff.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Ha ha, I always see some interesting jar of spice and buy it on impulse, then I try it once and it sits on my shelf for 10 years until I finally resign myself to tossing it almost full.

(Somehow I think most jars of spices have this fate.)

I just use the ready made sea salt and pepper they sell in little grinders, along with cinnamon, regularly. Maybe some paprika is good, but paprika get awfully bitter if you leave it sit for a month or so.
(Does anybody know a good brand of Paprika? Thanks.)

Hot sauce is good too.

None of the jar spices taste anything like the fresh herbs and maybe fresh ground or pan-roasted stuff you might get in a good restaurant, so it's always disappointing. But I'm way too lazy to do that kind of thing at home.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 pm

+1 penzey's

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
Penzey's. They have some stores, but their online shopping is painless. Great spices and fantastic selection and freshness. I use them up before they go bad, which I can't say for most others. I got hooked on fresher spices living in Europe and when I came back to the US I found only Penzeys could match it.

I do shop ethnic sometimes (and did all the time before we moved), but usually they aren't very fresh and sold in way too big of quantities.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
but i am also curious why mccormick stock has gone up so much recently.
Looks like they had a successful acquisition of some brands a year or so ago and have been reporting good earnings growth recently. A long term chart shows fairly steady growth since the 2008-2009 financial crisis and brief research doesn't reveal any definite reasons for that but it looks like it is probably due to their astute acquisitions globally and their impressive line-up of brands, many of which I use myself but wasn't aware that they were owned by McCormick.

http://www.mccormickcorporation.com/Our-Company/History

McCormick products are probably pantry staples for most Americans as well as people in other countries and I remember some of them even from when I was a child, such as the small sets of liquid food coloring, bottles of flavorings and extracts, and taco spice packets. I will say that I tried one of their more recent products, a "Breakfast Topper" spice mix intended for avocado toast, and wasn't impressed.

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 pm

thank you thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! i can't wait to try them all. and thanks for the explanation about mccormick stock information.

rgs92,
about paprika, i bought simply organic smoked paprika. it tastes okay to me. but i am not a paprika connoisseur. i only use it in my jambalaya.

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Strummer wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am
I can recommend Whole Spice in Napa, Calif. They sell online as well as at a retail store there.
https://wholespice.com/
i just looked at the wholespice.com web site. the best sellers section looks so good! thanks!

blackwhisker

Re: Best spices

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 am
Savory Spice Shoppe
I buy and have bought all my spices from store #1 fo 10+ years.
thanks for the recommendation! i just looked at the site. can't believe they ground in weekly batches. wish there was one store in my area. i might have to order online

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon is so good it will blow your wig off.

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am

I agree with others that if you have ethnic/international markets, get your spices there. Fragrant and cheap.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 pm

If you don't use a lot of paprika buy small amounts and keep in refrigerator. Do the same with cayenne.

Why wouldn't some spice lots be better than other spice lots of the same spice. They are natural products and vary in quality. It would be interesting to see a spice market at the place where the spice is grown.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Tdubs wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 am
Agreed.

Also, of you give Penzey's your e-mail address, you will get political messages on a quarterly basis. Whether I agree with Bill Penzey's politics, he should not be using my e-mail that I granted for business purposes to be used for politics.

I buy a lot of my spices from Sprouts or Winco Foods. Their spices are always fresh.

For high-end spices, I buy at The Spice House by mail order, Their owner is a phenomenal resource on spices.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 pm
Dottie57,
i think i mis-understood your message. did you mean the cinnamon from costco is good? if so, i will try it
All spices are good. They also have varieties of some spices (Vietnamese cinnamon is really good).

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:42 pm

McCormick spices are grossly overpriced. In my area we have a gourmet chain of supermarkets called Fairway that carry an excellent selection of reasonably priced house brand spices. They have a terrific house brand Dijon mustard that's ridiculously cheap, too

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Another vote for Penzeys. I initially thought the blends were silly. I mean, I already have a well-stocked spice cabinet, so what's the point? I am a complete convert. I love most of the blends and use them all the time.

I happen to love their emails, and along with the emails, you will get coupons for free stuff all the time. I live near a store so it works out perfectly.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:49 pm

For those recommending Penzey's spices, could you list your top 3-4 favorites from there?

I see Vietnamese cinnamon in a few comments; looking for more.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
Order online . Search for Penzy’s Spices. Wonderful stuff and I have a store within 7 miles of me.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
I love Penzey's - fresher and cheaper than McCormicks. The store near me is less than 5 miles drive. :happy

They also frequently reduce or eliminate the minimum for free shipping and offer crazy deals on free stuff. But if there is a store near you, I recommend visiting, because you can smell the spice mixes and talk to someone about the differences in the 4 types of cinnamon, the many chili powder mixes, etc....

namartima

Post by namartima » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Use the Indian spice brands. They are available at Indian stores. Bay Area consumers can find them in Safeway also.

The common brands are MDH, Sanjeev Kapoor, Shan (Pakistani brand) or Haldiram's. The quality is good.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:49 pm
For those recommending Penzey's spices, could you list your top 3-4 favorites from there?

I see Vietnamese cinnamon in a few comments; looking for more.
For baking, I like their vanilla extract, vanilla sugar, and cinnamon sugar. For cooking, my favorites spices are roasted garlic, smoked paprika, dried shallots, and chipotle pepper flakes (as a substitute for crushed red pepper). My favorite blend by far is their shallot pepper (great on eggs and veggies), but I also like some of their salt free blends.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:08 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:
hello,

thanks.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
I love Penzey's - fresher and cheaper than McCormicks. The store near me is less than 5 miles drive. :happy

They also frequently reduce or eliminate the minimum for free shipping and offer crazy deals on free stuff. But if there is a store near you, I recommend visiting, because you can smell the spice mixes and talk to someone about the differences in the 4 types of cinnamon, the many chili powder mixes, etc....
I have Penzy’s close by. Within 15 min. Love the different vanilla beans. Types of curry and chili powders. And all else.
I’ll be going there soon.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am
It seems Americans have an odd fear of spices with any significant amount of flavor and/or we just can't tell the difference.
False.

Shackleton

Re: Best spices

Post by Shackleton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:42 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm
Bogle7 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 am
Savory Spice Shoppe
I buy and have bought all my spices from store #1 fo 10+ years.
thanks for the recommendation! i just looked at the site. can't believe they ground in weekly batches. wish there was one store in my area. i might have to order online
After one too many ranting emails from Bill Penzey, I switched to the Savory Spice Shop and have been very pleased with everything I’ve purchased from them. They also handled a misdirected shipment (not their fault) very quickly and resent it to me at no additional cost.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Since we're plugging places we like to buy spices from I've been starting to buy from here https://www.thespicehouse.com/ Long time penzeys customer but these seem a bit less expensive and the quality is just a good.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:59 pm

People who use lots of cinnamon should just be aware that Vietnamese (Saigon) cinnamon has on average a 2250% higher concentration of Coumarin than the common Cassia cinnamon and a 40,000% higher concentration of Coumarin than Ceylon cinnamon.

Coumarin in high enough concentration/quantity can be moderately toxic to the liver and kidneys. Not intending to violate forum policy with any specific advice, just something to be aware of and maybe research if you use large quantities.

blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you! I just looked up it turns out korintje cinnamon is also toxic

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Wow. Never knew that about cinnamon. Thanks. I thought it was supposed to be healthy.