Costco Membership

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
remomnyc

Costco Membership

Post by remomnyc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 pm

My son just lost/broke his 4th pair of glasses this year. (Other has lost one pair this year, but he shattered his phone, so he's not much better.) I did a search on glasses here and Costco came up. I can't buy in bulk because I don't have enough storage (refrigerated or otherwise). I don't have a car, so I don't need gas. Would it be worth a Costco membership simply to replace eye glasses?

Edit: My sons haven't found frames they like that they find comfortable at Warby Parker.

bottlecap

Re: Costco Membership

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm

I don’t know. Why not try it?

Costco isn’t just for people who buy in bulk, you know.

JT

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:14 pm

How about going to lenscrafters and buying the protection plan? Last time I was there which was a few years ago it covers breakage. The employee flat out told me that I could get it and just before it expires *air quotes* accidentally break them and get new ones. It does not cover loss though.

I thought I read somewhere that you dont need a membership to buy coscto optometry products but maybe that was the pharmacy?

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:21 pm

zennioptical.com especially if he breaks them a lot, they are cheap and give you good deals like 50 percent off if you buy 2 at a time
remomnyc wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 pm
My son just lost/broke his 4th pair of glasses this year.
Last edited by denovo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:14 pm
How about going to lenscrafters and buying the protection plan? Last time I was there which was a few years ago it covers breakage. The employee flat out told me that I could get it and just before it expires *air quotes* accidentally break them and get new ones. It does not cover loss though.

I thought I read somewhere that you dont need a membership to buy coscto optometry products but maybe that was the pharmacy?
My local Costco requires membership. Lenscrafters is so expensive ($290 to replace lens), that they're not in the running. Between the kids, 2 pairs broken and 3 lost so far this year.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm

I'd try Zenni first as well. I used them for my last glasses and had no problems. I've heard good things about Costco as well, but Zenni is likely to be a lot cheaper and has a good selection. As for not finding frames he liked, I'd say that wouldn't be a consideration for me after the second pair got broken.(Comfort, yes, but not style) By the 4th pair, I think BCGs would be a good option for at least a few months.(They would at least encourage more careful handling)

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm

denovo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:21 pm
zennioptical.com especially if he breaks them a lot, they are cheap and give you good deals like 50 percent off if you buy 2 at a time
This is great. I love zenni. They used to have $9 glasses. I'm sure the prices are a bit higher now. Go take a look.

also I "think" the Costco optical is a contractor. So I don't think you need a membership to go there.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm
denovo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:21 pm
This is great. I love zenni. They used to have $9 glasses. I'm sure the prices are a bit higher now. Go take a look.

also I "think" the Costco optical is a contractor. So I don't think you need a membership to go there.
The optometrist who does the exams is the contractor. You need a membership to order glasses from the Optical Dept.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

We have a local optometrist office that offers “free” repairs for kids glasses for the life of them - they cost like double but they keep their word. Maybe you have a local office where you live that caters to children’s eyeglasses.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I love Costco, and I strongly dislike Walmart. That said, last time I checked, Walmart has a better warranty on kid's glasses than Costco does.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm

There are many places to get heavily discounted glasses without paying membership fees. Zenni optical is one, eyebuydirect is another.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm

This seems like a pretty simply calculation. Would you save more than $65 (or whatever their current rate is) at Costco compared to competitors each year?

If so, do it. If no, don't do it.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Have a Costco member give you a gift card for a purchase, reimburse them and go without a membership. I believe this is allowed based on just making a Google search.

Tim

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Would highly recommend both Costco and Zenni. I have glasses from both. Zenni is a bit cheaper but without the personal service.
Gill

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

So I looked at the Zenni site about ordering prescription reading glasses and it says this:
Prescription Reading Glasses

It is easy to reconfigure an Rx with an NV-ADD. It just involves a little grade-school arithmetic.

You simply take the NV-ADD number on your Rx and add it to the numbers in your Sphere (SPH) category for each eye. Then lower your distance PD by 3 millimeters if it's the single PD, by 1.5 millimeters for each eye if it's the dual PD. That gives you an Rx for single-vision reading glasses!

That seems complicated. I guess it is not possible to MAIL them a copy of my reading glasses Rx?

mecht3ach

Post by mecht3ach » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Target also has a good protection plan for their glasses. My son is a chronic glasses-smasher, and we use both the Target guarantee and extra pairs from Zenni.

Socrates28

Get a free one day trial and check it out

Post by Socrates28 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 pm

its not so much a bulk warehouse anymore....

also if you sign up for a business executive membership, you get cash back when you spend at the warehouse which essentially make your membership free

you can buy a single bottle of wine there, books, DVDs, suitcases, birthday cakes, tennis rackets, chips, socks, towels

they also have a great pharmacy. I bought garden lights, lights for my pergola and a really nice fountain earlier this year

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm

I buy clothes at CostCo sometimes and also shoes. I get many supplements there. Books.
Shampoo, lotions, pet foods - many things.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 pm

remomnyc wrote:
My son just lost/broke his 4th pair of glasses this year. (Other has lost one pair this year, but he shattered his phone, so he's not much better.) I did a search on glasses here and Costco came up. I can't buy in bulk because I don't have enough storage (refrigerated or otherwise). I don't have a car, so I don't need gas. Would it be worth a Costco membership simply to replace eye glasses?

Edit: My sons haven't found frames they like that they find comfortable at Warby Parker.
What will you do when they keep crashing cars? You can't buy those in bulk, and AFAIK there isn't a Kids Edition car yet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94SBEY/

As far as eyeglasses, Costco and Walmart are about the only major retail alternatives to the big industry monopoly. If you have a Walmart nearby, they don't require membership. I wouldn't join Costco only for eyeglasses, but go online instead as some others have suggested.

Adam Ruins Everything - The Conspiracy Behind Your Glasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAeHuDcy_bY

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/does- ... -industry/

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm
Have a Costco member give you a gift card for a purchase, reimburse them and go without a membership. I believe this is allowed based on just making a Google search.

Tim
Shhhhhh! Greatest life hack I know of. Not supposed to talk about this in a public forum!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:22 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm
Nowizard wrote:

Tim
Shhhhhh! Greatest life hack I know of. Not supposed to talk about this in a public forum!
It's a hack. But it's not a great hack. Most of us gladly spend $65/year for the convenience of coming to Costco and Costco.com with our own card whenever we wish, and not depending on the intermediaries.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm

+1 for the gift card hack. I go to Costco only 1-2 times a year and this is the best way for me. Sam’s club is at a more convenient location for me and hence that is where I stay as a member.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm

We dropped our Costco membership after the 1 year promo as we weren't getting our money's worth and they are all out in the boondocks here. I'd just use zenni, they are super cheap. My perscription sunglasses were less than $40, and I like them better than my fancy Ray Ban regular glasses.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Using a Cash Card is not hack, it is in the printed terms of the Cash Card, which are visible on the back of the card. No need to spend $65 or more on a membership, regardless if you shop at Costco rarely or every week.

However, you need to buy your first cash card online, or have an existing member purchase one for you.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm

I don't believe you can order glasses without a membership.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 pm

I wouldn't relocate anywhere without a Costco nearby.

21&lewis

Post by 21&lewis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Costco is great IF they're nearby. If you have to drive out of your way, membership may or may not be worth it (I'm not much for the inconvenience of driving anywhere out of the way). We love it, but go on weeknights or "odd" hours (eg; not primetime weekends). Outside of glasses, they have a lot of other great benefits. I love to smoke meat on the weekends and get relatively cheap, reliable product @ Costco.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Don't get a Costco membership just for a one-time order of glasses. If you have a friend or family member who has a membership, see if they are OK taking you.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm
I love Costco, and I strongly dislike Walmart. That said, last time I checked, Walmart has a better warranty on kid's glasses than Costco does.
DS had glasses from Walmart which were replaced when he broke them. I can't recall their exact guarantee, but it might be worth checking.

pierremonfrere

Post by pierremonfrere » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Nowizard wrote:

Tim
I got rid of my Costco membership and routinely do this. The cashiers sometimes seem slightly annoyed, but it's essentially a free membership.

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm
Using a Cash Card is not hack, it is in the printed terms of the Cash Card, which are visible on the back of the card. No need to spend $65 or more on a membership, regardless if you shop at Costco rarely or every week.

However, you need to buy your first cash card online, or have an existing member purchase one for you.
Does this mean you can go buy more cash cards for yourself if you already have one? I seem to remember distinctly that one needs membership to buy a cash card, unless others have tried and succeeded.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am

steadyhand wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am
criticalmass wrote:

Does this mean you can go buy more cash cards for yourself if you already have one? I seem to remember distinctly that one needs membership to buy a cash card, unless others have tried and succeeded.
It depends on the manager. But you can buy discounted gift cards including Costco cash cards online which is better.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am
steadyhand wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

It depends on the manager. But you can buy discounted gift cards including Costco cash cards online which is better.
I thought you had to have a membership to sign on online. You can get a friend/relative member to buy card for you. Anyone try to buy 2 new Cash Cards using a Cash Card (and added cash or check or credit charge)?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:37 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm
criticalmass wrote:
steadyhand wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

I thought you had to have a membership to sign on online. You can get a friend/relative member to buy card for you. Anyone try to buy 2 new Cash Cards using a Cash Card (and added cash or check or credit charge)?
There are lots of places to buy gift cards/cash cards from many stores. No membership required.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 pm

inbox788 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
steadyhand wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

You pay a 5% surcharge online for purchases made with Costco Cash cards without a membership.

The Cash cards are good for people that shop in the store on occasion. I would buy a friend/family member a Costco cash card if they asked, but if they started doing it monthly I'd get annoyed. Another thing to consider is both Sam's and Costco have allowed me to add a family member that doesn't live with me so we shared the membership. If you always go with your spouse or are single, this is a way to save money splitting it (or giving someone a nice freebie).

I am unsure if you can use the Costco Cash cards for gas without a membership and wondered on that.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:48 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:37 pm
There are lots of places to buy gift cards/cash cards from many stores. No membership required.
I was thinking along the lines of "my third wish is I wish I had 3 more wishes", using the Costco Card to parlay it into more Costco Cards. But now that you mention it, I might have seen Costco Gift Cards in the gift card aisle at drug stores or other retail stores, so you could just get them there. Does make me wonder why I'm paying an annual fee now.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 pm
inbox788 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
steadyhand wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

You pay a 5% surcharge online for purchases made with Costco Cash cards without a membership.

The Cash cards are good for people that shop in the store on occasion. I would buy a friend/family member a Costco cash card if they asked, but if they started doing it monthly I'd get annoyed. Another thing to consider is both Sam's and Costco have allowed me to add a family member that doesn't live with me so we shared the membership. If you always go with your spouse or are single, this is a way to save money splitting it (or giving someone a nice freebie).

I am unsure if you can use the Costco Cash cards for gas without a membership and wondered on that.
Where did you encounter a 5% surcharge on items purchased in store with a cash card? That isn’t the cash card policy and is not my experience. Gas purchases with a cash card also have no surcharge. Swipe the cash card when membership is requested.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 am

VictoriaF wrote:
It's a hack. But it's not a great hack. Most of us gladly spend $65/year for the convenience of coming to Costco and Costco.com with our own card whenever we wish, and not depending on the intermediaries.

Victoria
Agreed.

See also: viewtopic.php?t=253830

To the OP - we have been very pleased with the optical department at Costco.

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:32 am

I am very happy with Costco executive membership. This gives 2% back on purchase and for me covers the cost of membership. A quick search shows ways to make best of Costco without membership https://clark.com/shopping-retail/wareh ... embership/
BTW everyone i know, who has used Costco is happy with its membership.
Enjoy,
Amit

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 pm
inbox788 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
steadyhand wrote:

Where did you encounter a 5% surcharge on items purchased in store with a cash card? That isn’t the cash card policy and is not my experience. Gas purchases with a cash card also have no surcharge. Swipe the cash card when membership is requested.
That's not what I said.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am

We've been happy with Sam's club. Maybe some of the items aren't as extravagant, but we don't do wine and cheese. I think Sam's has optometrist, you can try that, or maybe stoop down and try the optometrist at Wally's.

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 am

remomnyc wrote:

Have a friend (Costco member) to get you some Costco gift cards and you are good to go. No need to be a member to use them. Great for these one-time shopping needs.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am

Broke 4 pairs of glasses this year. That sounds like your problem. You might not need a Costco membership if you approach the problem at the source.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am
Broke 4 pairs of glasses this year. That sounds like your problem. You might not need a Costco membership if you approach the problem at the source.
+1, but not what OP asked.

Perhaps even consider contact lenses, depending upon how the glasses are breaking.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:42 am

You can buy Costco gift cards on ebay. For a slight premium, no membership is needed to use it. Like $28.60 for $25. There are higher denominations too, like $200 and up. They all say you can use them w/o a membership.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Costco-Gif ... 0#viTabs_0

I wonder what happens if you have no membership and try to buy something that costs more than the gift card and have to make up the difference with cash/credit card...

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm happy with my membership, but I was not happy with our optical department. You might want to go there and look at the selection before you get a gift card or membership. Their selection, especially for kids, was extremely limited when I went. I also did not like the optometrist, but I highly doubt you would get the same one. :happy

Does your current optometrist offer any sort of warranties? My family has had glasses replaced thanks to warranties before when coating wear out and "unbreakable" frames break. I doubt they would do anything for lost glasses, but they might give a discount if you buy more than one pair. They should also guide you as to which frames are more durable. Do you think they are breaking and losing them because they don't like them? You might want to set some ground rules. My daughter insisted on getting a pair that was much than I wanted to pay. I told her that if she lost these, not only would the replacements would come out of her savings account, but I would be picking out the cheapest pair and make her wear an eyeglass strap 24/7. She has been extra careful with them so far.

jhawktx

Post by jhawktx » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:22 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm
Nowizard wrote:

Tim

Victoria
Replace the word most with some. I doubt a majority (of nearly any group) has a Costco membership.