Suggestions for the Minneapolis Area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
boater07

Suggestions for the Minneapolis Area

Post by boater07 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:54 pm

We will be visiting our grandaughter at Carleton college this fall. Don't know that part of the country and wonder if there are suggestions
what to visit. Willing to drive a couple of hundred miles.

capsaicinguy

Re: Suggestions for the Minneapolis Area

Post by capsaicinguy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I live in Minneapolis now. What do you like to do/see? For outdoor stuff or state parks: If you want to check out something close you could visit Minnehaha falls and go for a walk around any of the lakes nearby (Harriet/Nokomis/Calhoun). Otherwise a trip up to Duluth is within range (about 2.5 hours and 150ish miles one way). You can see the lift bridge and lake superior on the lakewalk or visit the Glensheen mansion. I always recommend a trip up the north shore north of Duluth. Tettegouche state park and/or Gooseberry falls is about at your limit if your trying to stay under 200 miles. Visiting Redwing, MN or Stillwater, MN could be fun if you like visiting smaller towns with character and B&B's. Just tossing out a few ideas to get you started. :sharebeer

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Not a local, but in the middle of a trip in that area right now actually. It all depends on what you're looking for.

3.45 hrs- Apostle Islands in Bayfield, WI.

2ish hrs Duluth, MN.

Lots of lakes along route 35 on the way to Duluth from Minneapolis.

Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis, MI.

Mill City Museum in Minneapolis, MI.

Como Park in St. Paul, MN

Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Museums

MIA -particularly Asian collection
Walker - modern art
Museum of Russian Art
Bakken
Mill City
Minnesota Historical Society
MN State Capitol - recent spectacular renovation

Restaurants

Bellecour
Travail
Meritage
Bar LA Grassa
Spoon and Stable
The Bachelor Farmer
Al's Breakfast

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am

capsaicinguy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 pm
I always recommend a trip up the north shore north of Duluth. Tettegouche state park and/or Gooseberry falls is about at your limit if your trying to stay under 200 miles.
+1 This is a classic trip with beautiful scenery. Make sure to hit up Betty's Pies along the way.

https://bettyspies.com/

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

capsaicinguy wrote:
I live in Minneapolis now. What do you like to do/see? For outdoor stuff or state parks: If you want to check out something close you could visit Minnehaha falls and go for a walk around any of the lakes nearby (Harriet/Nokomis/Calhoun). Otherwise a trip up to Duluth is within range (about 2.5 hours and 150ish miles one way). You can see the lift bridge and lake superior on the lakewalk or visit the Glensheen mansion. I always recommend a trip up the north shore north of Duluth. Tettegouche state park and/or Gooseberry falls is about at your limit if your trying to stay under 200 miles. Visiting Redwing, MN or Stillwater, MN could be fun if you like visiting smaller towns with character and B&B's. Just tossing out a few ideas to get you started. :sharebeer
Good suggestions.

The Minnesota Arboretum is lovely.
Going for a walk along the Mississippi River St Paul side is lovely too.
Redwing has a lovely state park 10 miles or so outside of it called Frontenac. It is on the river bluffs of lake pepin.
In Downtown Minneapolis there is the Mill City museum.
If you like craft beer, northeastern Minneapolis has small breweries with samples of the beer available.
Minneapolis Institute of Art is fun as is the Minnesota History Center in St Paul.

You should find something you like here.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boater07

Post by boater07 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank you all for some great suggestions. I realize that I didn't give much detail but have received good info.
Visiting granddaughter starting college is main reason for the trip but want to get a feel for the area never
having been close.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:51 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am
capsaicinguy wrote:
I always recommend a trip up the north shore north of Duluth. Tettegouche state park and/or Gooseberry falls is about at your limit if your trying to stay under 200 miles.
+1 This is a classic trip with beautiful scenery. Make sure to hit up Betty's Pies along the way.

https://bettyspies.com/
I love going up the North Shore in the dog days of summer. I went up last week and enjoyed hiking on the Superior Hiking Trail with temps in the upper 60's. That night it dropped down to a brisk 46 degrees, while just 3 hours south back in the Twin Cities it was 98 that day.