Anyone been to Molokai lately?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
doneat53

Anyone been to Molokai lately?

Post by doneat53 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey Folks,

We've traveled to Hawaii for years, most recently Kauai but are looking for a new venue. I've been to Molokai once as a kid but as I read about it the Sheratin where we stayed is dilapidated and apparently the mule trips to the former leper colony are no more because of some legal dispute. Can anyone comment on whether it is worth the trip and what they liked about it? We like eating out even if it is a little hole in the wall place with good fresh seafood and cooking fresh fish in a condo or airBB setting. Mtn biking would be fun, hiking, and of course some beach, waves, body surfing. Would love to hear experiences good and bad from recent trips.

doneat

fasteddie911

Re: Anyone been to Molokai lately?

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

I've had a few connections to Molokai over the years and have gone periodically myself, most recently nearly a decade ago. Molokai probably hasn't changed much since you've been there and it's one of the last unspoiled parts of Hawaii, and locals try to keep it that way, from both tourism and development in general. I'd look elsewhere in general, but especially with what you're looking for you'd be better served on another island..

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:39 pm

The last time I went to Molokai was about 8 years ago. People are friendly, lots of tasty comfort food. We stayed at a VRBO condo for a reasonable price—4 of us. We were there for a health fair. The people seemed grateful for the health services we offered for free. We listened to music and had a drink in the evening.

Horton

Post by Horton » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Three years ago, we spent over a week in Maui and took a day trip over to Molokai. We flew on a small plane to visit Kalaupapa National Historic Park. I would highly recommend it, although you do need to plan your trip in advance.

For those who are not familiar with this part of the island, it was (and still is) a leper colony (pardon me if that's not the politically correct term). Even though a cure for leprosy was discovered a long time ago, some of those forcibly sent there still remain and are allowed to do so for the rest of their lives (at least that is my understanding).

My father in law has long wanted to visit the island because he has a devotion to Fr. Damien who ministered to those with leprosy who were forcibly relocated. I was very glad we made the trip. The history of the site is amazing and it is a very tranquil place.

I wouldn't advocate visiting solely for this reason, but there aren't many places in Hawaii where you will have so much space to yourself.

I have not visited the rest of the island though, so I can't speak to that.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm

My wife and I spent nearly a week in Moloka’i 2 years ago. There’s a limited availability of hotel rooms on island and mainly in the main town of Kaunakakai. Your best bet for lodging is through Airbnb. We stayed in an Airbnb in an old resort on the west side of the island. The best beaches are located on the west side...and if I recall correctly, there’s a beach that stretches for something like 3 miles...and you’ll probably not see anyone when you walk that beach.

We hiked mainly around where we stayed but there’s a hike on the east side of the island where you can pay a guide to take you to a waterfall. Apparently, the hike traverses private land and you’re “supposedly” paying a guide for access.

The beauty of Moloka’i, in my opinion, is in its preservation of old Hawai’i. I heard it called the most “Hawai’i” of all the islands due to the lack of commercial development. They still don’t have any street lights and not even a MacDonald’s or any other national chain restaurant.

We went to Moloka’i for some tranquility and to escape the hustle and bustle of Oahu...and that’s exactly what we got. We absolutely loved our brief stay there...from the hot bread from Kanemitsu’s Bakery to the fresh produce straight from Kumu farms...just got to be careful not to hit those spotted deer (gifts to King Kamehameha back in the 1860s) driving west at night.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm

We went to Molokai in April of last year, and I know they were still doing the mule trips back then. We flew over, and did a tour of Kalaupapa when we were there. We were only there for a day trip. I'd not heard anything about legal issues or things stopping, but I guess I haven't paid attention.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Have you considered Lanai?
DW and I stayed at the Koele Lodge and it was wonderful. Played both golf courses. The island is unique.
That was awhile ago before the major renovations. Not sure of the status now.

Molokai is similar to where I grew up in old country Hawaii. No stoplights. No McDonalds. More cows than people.

aloha
j

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:54 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm
Have you considered Lanai?
DW and I stayed at the Koele Lodge and it was wonderful. Played both golf courses. The island is unique.
That was awhile ago before the major renovations. Not sure of the status now.

Molokai is similar to where I grew up in old country Hawaii. No stoplights. No McDonalds. More cows than people.

aloha
j
For remote HI I too would recommend Lanai.

doneat53

Post by doneat53 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the responses, I thought this post was overlooked and was happy to see all the comments.