Masterbath Remodel - Tub or No Tub ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
soccerrules

Masterbath Remodel - Tub or No Tub ?

Post by soccerrules » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am

We are looking into a Master Bath Remodel and would appreciate input to a question.
Pertinant information:
30 year old home-- plan is to remove everything in master bath basically down to drywall/studs. New shower, tub(?), flooring, vanity, sinks, lighting, wall covering, fixtures and wall switches.
2 story home
1st story Master Bath (separate shower and tub) and 1/2 bath (sink/toilet)
2nd story - 2 full baths -- 1 with tub/shower combo, 1 with shower only
House will be paid for in 5 years.
Might consider selling and downsizing in 5-6 years, but are not sure yet.

We are considering removing the tub in the master to allow for larger "walk-in" shower setting. We have not used the tub in 10 years. (kids baths).

Please provide opinions on the following
1) Would you remodel and get rid of tub in YOUR current master bath - why ? why not?
2) If you were looking at buying a home -- thoughts on NOT having a tub in the master ? Would that be a big reason for you to not buy the house?
3) if you are a real estate agent -- feedback on experiences showing/selling house without tubs in master bath
Last edited by soccerrules on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

Rupert

Re: Masterbath Remodel - Tub or No Tub ?

Post by Rupert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

I did a similar remodel last year and removed my useless garden tub, which had been used only to store the laundry hamper for the last 10 years. I put in a new tiled shower where the tub had been and converted the old walk-in shower space into a new closet that was desperately needed for storage. In my opinion and in the opinion of my contractor, removing a tub does not negatively impact home value so long as there is at least one tub in the house. My contractor also said that removing the tub from the master bath to make room for a larger shower is the #1 remodel he's doing these days. If there is no tub in the house, you are eliminating most families with small children as potential buyers. That said, it is my strong personal belief that you should design your house to suit your lifestyle, not some hypothetical future buyer. If you would enjoy a big luxurious shower, then do the shower.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am

I would get rid of the tub for the following reasons.

1) You don't use it.
2) Getting rid of it gives you exactly what you want with a more luxurious shower.
2) You plan to live here 5-6 more years and maybe even longer so enjoy your house the way you want it.
3) You have another tub upstairs which could be used for small children should a family buy it.

Cheers

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:07 am

I redid my MB last fall. Removed whirlpool tub and went back with a soaker tub and standalone filler with hand wand. Tub in front of 5ft window so selling point of tub with nature view came into play. Hung an crystal chandelier over tub. Shower was redone and new valve with diverter so I have rain head and hand wand. Love it. Bought my plumbing from Build.com
Plumbing supply quality at a discount. No plastic like Lowes and HD sell.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:08 am

We bought a house a year ago that has a walk in shower in the master, no tub. We love the walk in shower and have never missed having a tub. We do have a tub in the kids' bathroom though.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 am

It's all about whether not having a bath in the master will hurt resale - or whether the buyer will worry about their own ability to sell to the next guy.

If there's a view, then there's a good argument to keep it. If not, go with the more useful shower. Of course, there's no reason to not enjoy the view from the shower.....

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Two years ago we completely remodeled our master bath similar to what you want to do......removed entire fixtures, etc including tub. Replaced all with a walk-in shower, floor and wall tile, cabinets, lighting, fan, expanded outlets, fixtures, etc. it is beautiful and functional.
There is another reason for a first floor master suite and bath remodel with a walk-in shower. If you ever have a household member who is disabled, temporary or permanent, from age or an accident, such a bath is very helpful and comforting. You may wish to consider, if you have room, to have a larger bathroom door also, to allow easier entry for that person on crutches or wheelchair.. You may never need it, but it is there if you do. And these things do not reduce esthetics in my opinion.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Get rid of the tub. Hardly anybody uses them and a big shower is awesome. Luckily the previous owner put both in their master bath reno on my house...

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 pm

I would definitely get rid of the tub. We paid for a jacuzzi with jets 10 years ago. And in total we have used is 4 times.

Instead of a tub, use that space to build a nice bench in the shower. Very convenient when you can easily bend down to thoroughly clean your feet :)

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm

If you are going to go down to the studs then plan for grab bars in the shower and around the toilet. You don't have to put them in now but put in the blocking to support them and take photos and measurements of their location. I would also think about putting a bench in the shower if you are making it larger. Useful now and even more so as you age.

Our small master had been (badly) converted to a shower only before we bought but the lack of a bath in the master didn't bother us. There was a bath in another bath for the few times that we used it. We remodelled the master to a nicer standard and with better quality but still didn't put a bath back in. It didn't hinder our sale earlier this year.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bampf

Post by bampf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:37 pm

We put in a tub because we had a lot of space, it was relatively cost effective and added a nice artsy decor feeling to the remodel. Its huge (the bathroom) and we didn't know what else to do with that space. I doubt we will ever use it and I think it cost about $1K in total.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 pm

soccerrules wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am
1) Would you remodel and get rid of tub in YOUR current master bath - why ? why not?
2) If you were looking at buying a home -- thoughts on NOT having a tub in the master ? Would that be a big reason for you to not buy the house?
3) if you are a real estate agent -- feedback on experiences showing/selling house without tubs in master bath
1 -- We kept the bath when we remodeled --but the cost of changing it would have prohibitive (multiple reasons). We would have removed it if we could have justified it.

2 -- We bought a house in January with no bath in the Master, wasn't a concern for us.

When we really thought about it, we only used the bath in the prior house a handful (literally) of times in 20 years.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm

In our first house, we opted for a large shower and no tub for MB. Builder told us it was a huge mistake. Had to sell less than 2 years later. Sold very quickly and buyer said that was their favorite feature.

After 2 houses with unused garden tubs, we built our current home with a huge shower and no tub. Absolutely love it. Do not miss dusting out an unused tub every week!

I think it is especially a good option on a first floor master, because a large shower is a better choice for age-in-place.

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Wow, I'm the only Boglehead who likes to take baths? :shock:

I re-did my bathroom last year and put in a nice modern tub in addition to replacing everything else. I love it. In the winter, I take a bath at least once a week.

Having said that, as long as the house has at least one tub, I wouldn't worry about the re-sale value. If I didn't have a tub in my bathroom, I'd just use the one in the guest bathroom (shower/tub).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Never heard of a "garden tub" before this.
Had to look it up.

Okay, when we gut remodeled about 10 years ago, replacing *ancient* master and family bathrooms, we agonized over this.

We almost took out part of a walk-in master closet, to add a separate shower instead of a tub/shower combo.

Instead, given that we usually shower, and we were keeping a tub in the family bathroom, just a step out the master bedroom door, we instead used the entire full tub space for a double shower, with 3 shower heads (one on each end, and a rain showerhead in the middle), and on two separate thermostats.

We opted for a very deep soaking tub in the family bathroom.
We worried that some buyer/family with children might fret because of the depth because we never expected to stay here this long.

But here were still are, and we still love both of the no-longer-brand-new bathrooms.
We splurged a bit, and have been *very* happy that we did.

You can't plan for "the next owner", as long as you don't do something too, too outlandish.
(We saw one home with what was an exquisitely done full tiled design in the shower, almost like a mosaic. Problem was... it was of a human sized nude woman. The house didn't sell then. Two years later, back on the market, "all newly renovated bathrooms!!" :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Just as a point of reference: My development has over 100 homes. The builder included a shower and a jetted tub in all the master baths. The second bath has a conventional tub with shower.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Most jetted tubs just collect spiders and dust. Sometimes potted plants. Complete waste of space for most people.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Personal preference is a large shower and a standalone tub to replace the garden tub. But I have always enjoyed a good soak.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Generally the rule of thumb is that you should have one tub so that parents can bathe their kids in it. After that it rarely matters. Probably ends up like my question to a realtor about fireplace or wood stove? I currently have a fireplace. The agent said pretty much it is a 50/50 thing so don't waste money on converting it unless it is something you want.

I enjoy watching House Hunters International, mostly to see houses in different countries and what you get for the money. It is amusing to see how the rest of the world survives with things that American parents can't (at least the ones shown on the show). Can't survive w/o a tub for the kids, the steps are too steep for the kids, the balcony is too dangerous, kids might get burned by the fireplace/wood stove, etc. It makes you wonder at what point the pampering began.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you all for the replies, keep them coming.

If you have input on nice additions or things to avoid - please feel free to include those as well.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 pm

+ almost every one else: get rid of the tub in the MB bath unless you personally prefer tub baths.

When we remodeled our master bath I removed the tub and was able to get at least a little more capacious walk in shower; the entire bathroom is only 5x7 (ah the joys of living in a vintage 1950 ranch). Love it, have never missed a bathtub in there as we do have a tub/shower combination in the hall bathroom.

In our vacation house one of the very few things I don't like in our master bathroom is the tub/shower combination there. I really notice the tight quarters and look forward to eventually converting to only a walk in shower.

Go for it!

freckles01

Post by freckles01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Most modern bathrooms are designed for the convenience of the builder/plumber.

I'm sure I've posted about this in another bathroom thread but if you're doing a complete remodel DO consider a Japanese bathroom design and Alexander Kira- The Bathroom.

Toilet is kept in a separate enclosed room, consider a small wash basin or a door that swings open/closed

Shower is a separate enclosed "wet" room and often includes a small deep soaking tub that is used ( by the whole family and for laundry) after showering.

The shower is taken while sitting, handles and shower head or bucket/ladle is low, saves water and is done at a leisurely pace because water is not left running and much safer-less chance of slipping or falling.

Sink is outside or between the shower and toilet rooms and won't be held up by anyone using the toilet or shower.

clcarter

Post by clcarter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Any comments on experience with "walk-in tubs"?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 pm

clcarter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Don't buy one unless you really need one for medical reasons. You have to sit inside a walk-in tub while it fills with water, and you have to remain inside a walk-in tub until all the water drains out of it (and they hold a lot of water). For some reason, people don't think about that before buying them.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 pm

clcarter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm
I've wondered about those.
Obviously, at a certain point, getting in and out of a regular tub could be difficult or impossible.

But all the "walk-in tubs" I've seen (and I have NOT "gone looking at what is available") show someone sitting up with a fair amount of the upper body out of the water.
That wouldn't be the "nice warm soak" I'd want.

There are some devices of various sorts to help one get into and out of a tub, and some hotels actually offer them (that was a surprise!). So that could be something to think about, too.

RM

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Get rid of the tub and make sure when you remodel to eliminate the shower entry lip. This reduces your chances of tripping and falling into or out of the shower. Also put in grab bars for the shower and toilet. They are easy safety features if you are already remodeling. I have been planning to remove my garden tub/shower and replace it with a expanded shower with a flat floor for years. Now it is a priority for us. See below.

I have a garden sunken tub and shower combined in my home. In January of this year I tripped and fell on the entry lip into the sunken tub in the dark at night. No nightlight. Duh. Stupid me. :oops: :oops: I broke two vertebrae in my back. I am still recovering and have issues that may never go away. So be aware of lips and trip hazards by showers and tubs and toilets.

Good Luck.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm

First off, do what you want. If you're planning to stay for at least a few years, resale impact should be rather minor consideration. A tub in master is rarely a deal breaker for prospective buyers. With that said, I'm guessing this site skews towards an older audience, i.e. don't have small children. So you're definitely hearing a lot of the tear out the tub, it has no use. Our master bath has a separate tub and shower. We remodeled it last year and decided to keep the same arrangement, although did extend the shower out further for more elbow space in there. Really glad we kept the tub as that's where we now bathe our 6 month old. We do have another full bath on second floor with the tub/shower combo but so much easier to bathe her in our master bath as there is so much more room and we're already in there anyhow. The other bathroom is a much tighter configuration with toilet right next to tub/shower so not great for bathing small children.

Anyhow, besides small children, pretty minimal use for tubs, so if you're past that stage in your life and don't have interest in soaking in tub, tear it out and enjoy the additional space.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm surprised so few people like having tubs. Not having one would be a deal breaker for me on a home purchase. Especially on a cold day, a hot soak is a wonderful everyday luxury.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

If you have space, make the shower large enough so that it is barrier-free. Just had my mother's tub removed and had a large shower built (stole space from an adjacent bedroom). You do not need to have a seat installed now, but tell the builder that you would like the walls reinforced to that it can be added later, if needed. I don't think you need to install the grab bars now, as those go up fairly easily.

I wouldn't hesitate to remove the tub. I built my master more than 20 years ago w/o a tub as I have two others in the house.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

soccerrules wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am
Please provide opinions on the following
a/ we did this last year, same thing you are doing, tore original 60's master bath down to studs, rebuilt with larger shower stall w/ no tub
2nd bathroom in home has a tub shower still, for kids, or in case we sell and someone buys with kids, you have 1 tub in house
b/ we are doing this now, in contract, huge master bath is a shower stall, but I guess it does have a jacuzzi tub next to it. I doubt I will ever use it. Other two full baths in the house do have tub showers.
c/ Not a RE agent, but I would say that as long as the house has 1 other shower in the house with a tub, you are fine. Using the tub in the master or any other bath is irrelevant IMO. Although I guess watching HGTV you do see dozens of wives wanting soaker tubs for stressful nights. Guess that is YMMV, I would build it how you want it and move on.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I vote for no tub.

In our case, we recently built a ground up custom home. We did a walk in shower in the master, and a shower over platform recessed mount soaking tub in the hall bath. DW showers in the master bath and soaks in hall bath. DD showers in the hall bath. I mostly shower in the master or at the gym. We used Corian counters, floated the cabinets (ie wall hung w/ 18" gap between floor and cabinet), and installed under counter LED lights for a bit of drama and flair.

As long as the design, flooring, cabinets, lighting, finish-work, and fixtures are all nice, whatever you do will resell easily.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 pm

I used a linear drain in my shower. Love it. Placed it on same wall as shower valve. No drain in center of shower floor for my problem feet to stand on. I have metatarsal bone protruding / no pad issues.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm

We did the same as Rupert. Got rid of the master bath's soaking tub which was used for storing laundry hamper all these years, and replaced it with a walk-in shower with shower heads on both sides. Got a new closet in where the old stand-in shower used to be. Retained the tub in the other bathroom.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Our master bath:

Love the large shower with a large seat area (seats two). It has a regular shower head, four jets, and a rain head as well. In addition it has a hand-held shower head installed near the seat so you can sit and shower any one particular area. We have a 5/8" tempered glass shower door which is almost air-tight, and steam shower built in as well. The floor is a pebble tile sort, so it's nice on the soles of the feet. Because it's air-tight, we have a second exhaust in the shower itself. Corner shelves on the walls (two in each of the corners on each side of the shower controls, across from the bench). The lower shelves are at normal height for easy reach for soap and shampoo. The higher shelves are for less commonly used stuff.

While the shower is in one corner of the bathroom, two walls of the shower are solid, the third is mostly the glass door. The fourth wall (the one with the seat) is tile half way up, with the upper half having a large window to let it some light from the rest of the bathroom so it's not too dark.

We usually use the regular shower head, but use each of the other head several times a year, so it's all worth it for us.

Should have had two sets of switches for the shower light and exhaust, one inside and one outside. We only have the outside one. Sometimes it would be nice to turn the exhaust on in the middle to get rid of steam. :-)

Wife wanted a bidet and electronic toilet (one of those amazing Japanese models). Didn't get it, and she still misses it. While the toilet is in the bathroom, it has it's own door/exhaust/light (door only accessible from the bathroom). So if I'm shaving, DW can use the toilet comfortably.

Idea of putting extra studs in the walls so that we could install support rails in the future sounds like a fantastic idea.

Wife uses the tub a couple times a year. Almost useless. Kids don't use it but love the steam shower (the rare times we let them use it!). The kids have their own shower/tub combo things.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm
Most jetted tubs just collect spiders and dust. Sometimes potted plants. Complete waste of space for most people.
This is our current situation. We put one in years ago--probably close to 15. Loved it then and used it often. Now, our kids are teens/20s and it never gets used. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I could easily go without a tub in our home. We would have one, but it would be in the bathroom in our lower level walkout basement.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 pm

We did what we wanted. We didn't think about resale value.

We're both retired, getting on in years, and somewhat concerned about falls, and guilty about the water and energy usage of a tub. What we wanted was a nice big shower with a comfortable seat and grab bars, so that's what we got.

Our house is livable, but not any showpiece. I doubt that the resale value was reduced by replacing the shabby old tub with a pretty nice new shower, and the chances that we would be able to guess exactly what the next buyer wants are pretty low, anyway.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

I am in the advanced stages of remodeling the whole 50 yr old house inherited from parents. I had both tub/showers removed and replaced with larger walk in showers. I was going to keep one so that I could wash tents, scatter rugs etc. and dry on clothes rack inside the tub. Contractor talked me out of this and into above arrangement. Also put in new laundry tub which at least so far seems large enough for the washing I will do.

I also vote with the others that say forget the resale value unless you are going to sell immediately. It may take some people out of consideration but why care - pretty much any piece of real estate will take some people out for some reason. For what it is worth my remodel is for myself - I live alone and enjoy that life style. I may sell but doubt it unless I have to for medical reasons. I am totally unconcerned what price it might bring or what design features might enhance or detract from a hypothetical future situation.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm

In my VHCOL inner suburb area: Realtors say its OK to get rid of the master tub in favor of a spa-like walk in shower BUT ONLY IF there is a tub in the hall/kids/guest bath.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 pm

A couple of years ago I had my acrylic shower/tub unit (original when house was new) taken out and replaced with a porcelain tiled, walk-in shower. My master bath is very tiny, not very masterful at all. No room to expand the footprint of the original tub unit, but the extra few internal inches now that the "bump outs" from the molded unit are gone, make the shower feel much more spacious. Only a small shower in the downstairs bathroom, so no tubs in this house.

Note that you can find attractive grab bars that don't look at all institutional. I had one (from Home Depot) installed horizontally on the short wall opposite the shower head. It can easily hold the weight of a sturdy contractor ... but looks like a fat towel bar.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Put a tub in the shower.

Perfect for the kids who love to splash everywhere plus can be used by adults.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:18 pm

I have tendonitis in my knees and arthritis in my hips. I love a nice long hot soak. So, I would keep the tub. But you are not me. For you, I vote for getting the shower (assuming there is another bathroom with a tub for the kids) since you’d enjoy that much more than a tub.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:06 am

stan1 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
In my VHCOL inner suburb area: Realtors say its OK to get rid of the master tub in favor of a spa-like walk in shower BUT ONLY IF there is a tub in the hall/kids/guest bath.
We converted our master with a tub to a shower. The main bath still has a tub. I think that people with infants still want a tub and some older people. If you have at least one tub in the house no problem, if you have no tub it could be a problem for some buyers.
If I am stupid I will pay.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks again for the additional feedback. We are more confident in the NO TUB decision for our master bath.

One additional comment -- we have a very high ceiling in master bath so the shower would not be enclosed on top.

For those that put in walk-in showers / wet areas. Are there any must have's, nice conveniences that you included or wish you would have added ?

Linear Drain
Multiple Shower heads
Bench
Shelves
Mirror (Shaving)
Size of tile, flooring, grout considerations
Lighting

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am

soccerrules wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks again for the additional feedback. We are more confident in the NO TUB decision for our master bath.

One additional comment -- we have a very high ceiling in master bath so the shower would not be enclosed on top.

For those that put in walk-in showers / wet areas. Are there any must have's, nice conveniences that you included or wish you would have added ?

Linear Drain
Multiple Shower heads
Bench
Shelves
Mirror (Shaving)
Size of tile, flooring, grout considerations
Lighting
We put in a bench, grab bar (not needed by us now, but needed by elderly mother who visits often), and hand shower. The hand shower is a necessity, as it makes cleaning the shower much easier and also can be used by elderly mother who sits on the bench to bathe. Make sure you put the valve/handle that controls the water flow near the entrance to the shower, rather than under the shower head on the far wall, so you can reach your hand in to turn on the water (so that it warms up) without getting wet. It made the plumbing slightly more complicated, but our contractor strongly recommended it. He was right.

Edited to add: We also have a nice recess in the tiled wall of our new shower for storing soap, etc. Also a necessity.
Last edited by Rupert on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaPilot

Post by AlphaPilot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am

Linear drains cost more but if the floor is sloped properly it is not needed and more of a pretty. All they do is go to your 1.5 or 2" PVC drain line anyway. It's definitely eye candy in my opinion.

Multiple shower heads - I never understood more than 1 or 2. I'm modest, and I actually don't know if I want water on all angles of my body especially when using soap, since it'd rinse off before scrubbing. :mrgreen:

Bench - Yes, definitely. Either built in or made out of natural wood (teak) or a cheaper alternative is plastic (not pretty)

Shelves - Build them in if you have small space. Otherwise corner shelves work nice and can self drain/clean if you have a water softener and slope the shelves.

Mirror - Never seen this in showers I have been around, not a bad idea though?

Size of tile - Walls, go with large tile. Easier to clean off with a towel or squeegee. The less grout lines the better. Grout ALWAYS gets dirty even if it's sealed. Plus grout is the maintenance part of tile - less grout, less upkeep.
Floor tile typically is smaller for the ability to slope easier. Big tiles are hard to slope to the center. If you slope to one end, they work okay. Smaller tiles on mesh are pretty but a ton of grout, and for the floor that seems like a bad idea.

Lighting - you mention high ceiling, this limits you to overhead light especially if you insist on a rainhead. You'd be tempted to have hanging lights or a window. If you have glass doors, lights in the bathroom may help out too.

Just my two cents, I prefer function over luxury.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am

kaudrey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm
Wow, I'm the only Boglehead who likes to take baths? :shock:
No. I wouldn't buy a house that didn't have a nice big bathtub.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

AlphaPilot wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am
Linear drains cost more but if the floor is sloped properly it is not needed and more of a pretty. All they do is go to your 1.5 or 2" PVC drain line anyway. It's definitely eye candy in my opinion.

Multiple shower heads - I never understood more than 1 or 2. I'm modest, and I actually don't know if I want water on all angles of my body especially when using soap, since it'd rinse off before scrubbing. :mrgreen:

Bench - Yes, definitely. Either built in or made out of natural wood (teak) or a cheaper alternative is plastic (not pretty)

Shelves - Build them in if you have small space. Otherwise corner shelves work nice and can self drain/clean if you have a water softener and slope the shelves.

Mirror - Never seen this in showers I have been around, not a bad idea though?

Size of tile - Walls, go with large tile. Easier to clean off with a towel or squeegee. The less grout lines the better. Grout ALWAYS gets dirty even if it's sealed. Plus grout is the maintenance part of tile - less grout, less upkeep.
Floor tile typically is smaller for the ability to slope easier. Big tiles are hard to slope to the center. If you slope to one end, they work okay. Smaller tiles on mesh are pretty but a ton of grout, and for the floor that seems like a bad idea.

Lighting - you mention high ceiling, this limits you to overhead light especially if you insist on a rainhead. You'd be tempted to have hanging lights or a window. If you have glass doors, lights in the bathroom may help out too.

Just my two cents, I prefer function over luxury.
Smaller tiles on the floor are also for *safety*. Large tiles get slippery.

We didn't want "pebbly", so we went with 2x2" sllghtly tumbled, but otherwise matching the other tile in the shower and half way up the wall, and also on the floor.

We added a bit of decorative design work in a line across the wall (inside and outside shower), and an outline on the floor with 2x6" pieces of the same tile.

RM

AlphaPilot

Post by AlphaPilot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

There are plenty of large tiles designed specifically for shower floors. They have nonslip textures. Tumbled texture is available in all sizes and you are getting more anti-slip from grout likely. What have you had to do for your grout lines? Or have you had the tile that long? Curious what the maintenance process is every few years? Once a year? Never?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am

AlphaPilot wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

There are plenty of large tiles designed specifically for shower floors. They have nonslip textures. Tumbled texture is available in all sizes and you are getting more anti-slip from grout likely. What have you had to do for your grout lines? Or have you had the tile that long? Curious what the maintenance process is every few years? Once a year? Never?
We chose 1" marble hex tiles for our shower floor with dark gray grout. The grout acts as an anti-slip surface and shows no dirt. I don't do anything special to clean the floor. I do avoid spraying bleach on the tiles, just because they're marble and will etch. It looks great. I wouldn't use white or any other light-colored grout on a shower floor.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am
I would get rid of the tub for the following reasons.

1) You don't use it.
2) Getting rid of it gives you exactly what you want with a more luxurious shower.
2) You plan to live here 5-6 more years and maybe even longer so enjoy your house the way you want it.
3) You have another tub upstairs which could be used for small children should a family buy it.

Cheers

+1