Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:40 pm

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra that has 53k miles on it. About 4 months ago the condenser went out and cost me $1600 to replace, then this morning the compressor went out and is going to cost another 1k to replace. I told the dealer to just take it down off the rack without fixing it, I'm so frustrated since this isn't an old vehicle and doesn't have many miles. Should I contact GMC concerning these issues or am I wasting my time?

sport
Posts: 7174
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by sport » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm

If it is out of warranty, they probably will not do anything for you. However, it cannot hurt to try. If they do not help, an independent mechanic can probably make the repairs for a lower cost than the dealer.

Nate79
Posts: 3324
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm

GM may offer you some discount on the repair as this is so unusual. Your truck is practically brand new. It's possible that the first issue was misdiagnosed or misrepaired and it caused the second issue. You may want to get a second opinion from an experienced and highly reputable independent shop.

nhdean
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by nhdean » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Since it has only been 4 months I would take it back to the dealer. I am not certain, but since it was a very short time since the repair the part should have its own warranty. Ask to speak with the service manager. I bet they will do something.

bob60014
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm


maroon
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by maroon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 pm

If you've taken your truck to the dealer for regular maintenance services, perhaps the dealer might offer a goodwill repair?
If not, then yes, do contact GMC.

I once contacted Subaru of America about a quoted $900 repair (a sunroof rattle) and SOA arranged to fix it for free. My car was just out of warranty at ~40K miles. The next repair was at ~103K miles when my car needed new control arm bushings. I paid for that repair myself.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Your truck is practically brand new.
The truck is almost 5 model years old. Not exactly "practically brand new."

killjoy2012
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 pm

While the vehicle may be out of warranty, the replacement condenser purchased and installed at the dealer surely comes with some level of parts warranty. Go there and talk to the Service Mgr.

Bacchus01
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm

We have a 2014 Acadia Denali. Also Hs a bad condenser.

Worst vehicle ever. Will never buy a GMC again.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 8560
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 pm
While the vehicle may be out of warranty, the replacement condenser purchased and installed at the dealer surely comes with some level of parts warranty. Go there and talk to the Service Mgr.
It was the compressor that failed the second time. There would be no replacement part warranty to apply.

GM has an out of warranty repair program that will at least partially compensate vehicle owners, but service managers are reluctant to ask GM for the money. This is a perfect case with two very expensive repairs on the same subsystem only months apart. I would contact GM directly to complain and ask for compensation.

bigdav160
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by bigdav160 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 am

What was wrong with the condenser? It's really a simple part that rarely has issues with normal use.

The condenser gets rid of the heat removed from inside of the vehicle. It could be argued that if it malfunctioned the increased pressures (or in case a leak - oil loss) could have caused the compressor to go bad.

A little anecdotal story. I knew a man that bought a new Suburban. A couple years later and still under warranty the A/C goes south and the dealer technician diagnose a bad compressor. The next summer the compressor goes out again but this time out of warranty. I looked at it and found a very large mouse nest between the condenser and radiator. It blocked of half of the air flow.

So the original tech missed the root cause diagnosis which probably should not have been a warranty repair.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 am

sport wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm
If it is out of warranty, they probably will not do anything for you. However, it cannot hurt to try. If they do not help, an independent mechanic can probably make the repairs for a lower cost than the dealer.
I'm going to call to get a price for the compressor from an auto parts store then call an independent mechanic this morning to compare prices.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 am

nhdean wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Since it has only been 4 months I would take it back to the dealer. I am not certain, but since it was a very short time since the repair the part should have its own warranty. Ask to speak with the service manager. I bet they will do something.
Yeah I have a 12 month/12k mile warranty for the condenser but since it's the compressor this time there is no coverage. I put a call in yesterday to GM to see if there is anything that can be done.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 am

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

They already know about it!
This is the first I've heard about this lawsuit. I wonder if they will compensate anyone who has had to replace these parts? Maybe I should call the lawyers office and see how I can join the suit against GM.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm
We have a 2014 Acadia Denali. Also Hs a bad condenser.

Worst vehicle ever. Will never buy a GMC again.
Same here, if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle. Looks like I'll be getting a tundra next time.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am

bigdav160 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 am
What was wrong with the condenser? It's really a simple part that rarely has issues with normal use.

The condenser gets rid of the heat removed from inside of the vehicle. It could be argued that if it malfunctioned the increased pressures (or in case a leak - oil loss) could have caused the compressor to go bad.

A little anecdotal story. I knew a man that bought a new Suburban. A couple years later and still under warranty the A/C goes south and the dealer technician diagnose a bad compressor. The next summer the compressor goes out again but this time out of warranty. I looked at it and found a very large mouse nest between the condenser and radiator. It blocked of half of the air flow.

So the original tech missed the root cause diagnosis which probably should not have been a warranty repair.
I'm not really sure. They just told me the condenser was bad and needed to be replaced along with several hoses, well 4 months and 1600 dollars later I'm without air again.

NHRATA01
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: New York City area

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by NHRATA01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm
We have a 2014 Acadia Denali. Also Hs a bad condenser.

Worst vehicle ever. Will never buy a GMC again.
Yeah we had a '10 Traverse that lost the A/C (and now a '17). Unfortunately those cars (Acadia/Traverse/Enclave) are plagued with A/C issues more than any other vehicle I've ever seen. The newer '18+ models seem to be good so far.

TheAccountant
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by TheAccountant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Did they replace the evaporator? Sounds like there was moisture in the system and/or they didn't put the right amount of oil in. That's wayyyy too early for a compressor to fail, especially with AC work already performed on it.

AZAttorney11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

The mistake you made was buying an initial year model following a major redesign. Don't do that again, especially for cars / trucks manufactured by GM or Ford. Let the suckers rush to buy the all-new redesigned model at inflated prices and allow a million or two models to be sold and driven for two to three years so the manufacturer can work out the defects. I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I'm guessing the 2018 Sierra / Silverado will be substantially more reliable than the 2014 Sierra / Silverado since GM / Chevy have four years of data to review prior to producing the 2018 models (all-new redesign for 2019... stay away).

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am
...if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle.
I learned my lesson many years ago. Why do people keep buying these unreliable cars when they could buy a Honda, Toyota or Subaru? I don't get it at all. You get what you deserve for not doing your homework. :confused

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am
...if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle.
I learned my lesson many years ago. Why do people keep buying these unreliable cars when they could buy a Honda, Toyota or Subaru? I don't get it at all. You get what you deserve for not doing your homework. :confused
You might find your answer over in the oil dilution thread. But in this case neither Honda or Subaru produce a vehicle in the same category; we don't know what model the OP has so Toyota might or might not.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm

When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM

neilpilot
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 am

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Tell that to CRV owners with gas diluted oil.

Bacchus01
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:54 am

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am
...if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle.
I learned my lesson many years ago. Why do people keep buying these unreliable cars when they could buy a Honda, Toyota or Subaru? I don't get it at all. You get what you deserve for not doing your homework. :confused
Which of those made a seven passenger SUV in 2014?

smitcat
Posts: 1753
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
My co-worker has a Subaru sitting in their garage with a siezed engine due to huge oil loss - waiting till they can afford a new engine.
Cousin has the CRV that is diluting oil - adding oil and changing oil every other week now.

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
I believe all vehicles are much higher quality than they were years ago, and there is less difference now between brands, so it's inaccurate to say anybody is "light years ahead" of anybody else. But since you mentioned it specifically Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
They are taking a hit in certain circles...the informed people who read a lot and research a vehicle before buying it. They lost a sale of a new CR*V to me, for example. However, the population at large is oblivious to this, just as they are with financial planning and social security claiming age. Unless this hits the mainstream media in a big way, I don't think it will hurt them too badly.

I wish I could believe that GM's quality/reliability was anywhere close to the Japanese, but just look at the resale values and (look at Consumer Reports) which tell the story. I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking). The thing about GM...when they have a chronic problem, they seem to just keep manufacturing cars with the same problem, model year after model year; just get through the warranty period and charge the customer. Switched to Hondas and I have almost no problems; in my experience, the difference is dramatic. I do agree this oil-dilution problem is troubling and I hope they come out with a fix.

itsgot8
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm
The mistake you made was buying an initial year model following a major redesign. Don't do that again, especially for cars / trucks manufactured by GM or Ford. Let the suckers rush to buy the all-new redesigned model at inflated prices and allow a million or two models to be sold and driven for two to three years so the manufacturer can work out the defects. I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I'm guessing the 2018 Sierra / Silverado will be substantially more reliable than the 2014 Sierra / Silverado since GM / Chevy have four years of data to review prior to producing the 2018 models (all-new redesign for 2019... stay away).
Thankfully, vehicles come with warranties to cover first/second year problems.

I don't disagree with your assertion though! :sharebeer

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am

smitcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
My co-worker has a Subaru sitting in their garage with a siezed engine due to huge oil loss.
Any engine will fail if the oil level is not maintained.

itsgot8
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking).
And how long ago were those eras? Every OEM has their issues. GM/Ford made big strides in quality over the last 10-15 years. In my experience, most peoples' perceptions of domestic OEM quality stems from their products in the 80's and early 90's, which were junk. A lot has changed since then.

Your anecdotal evidence can't be broadly applied to an entire OEM. There are lots of people who have bought vehicles from XYZ OEM and not had issue.

smitcat
Posts: 1753
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
My co-worker has a Subaru sitting in their garage with a siezed engine due to huge oil loss.
Any engine will fail if the oil level is not maintained.
There are known probelms with certain Subaru engines consuming huge amounts of oil in certian situations - of course thsi did not shwo up untill after the warrantee was just a slight bit passed. Oil was high usage before that but did not show up untill they did their first 'long' trip of 150 miles each way. Oil down more than 2 qts between trip start and end with no warning light on at any time - again just out of warrantee.
No help from Subaru - sounds like the AC issue with GM times 10. And it is pretty well known if you do some extensive research on it.
So much for Honda , Subaru and Toyota not having any problems.
FWIW - i have 2 Honda's and my family has two more that I work on , are they good cars? Yes. Are they are aprecitbly better than my GM products - No.
More important to research each vehicle now and stay away from 1st year new designs than go by makers name.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am

itsgot8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am
munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking).
And how long ago were those eras? Every OEM has their issues. GM/Ford made big strides in quality over the last 10-15 years. In my experience, most peoples' perceptions of domestic OEM quality stems from their products in the 80's and early 90's, which were junk. A lot has changed since then.

Your anecdotal evidence can't be broadly applied to an entire OEM. There are lots of people who have bought vehicles from XYZ OEM and not had issue.
Do you think the resale values (i.e. depreciation rates) reflect the quality/reliability/durability of the vehicle?

itsgot8
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:42 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am
itsgot8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am
munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking).
And how long ago were those eras? Every OEM has their issues. GM/Ford made big strides in quality over the last 10-15 years. In my experience, most peoples' perceptions of domestic OEM quality stems from their products in the 80's and early 90's, which were junk. A lot has changed since then.

Your anecdotal evidence can't be broadly applied to an entire OEM. There are lots of people who have bought vehicles from XYZ OEM and not had issue.
Do you think the resale values (i.e. depreciation rates) reflect the quality/reliability/durability of the vehicle?
No, I don't think resale value and depreciation are absolute indicators of those metrics.

AZAttorney11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm
We have a 2014 Acadia Denali. Also Hs a bad condenser.

Worst vehicle ever. Will never buy a GMC again.
Same here, if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle. Looks like I'll be getting a tundra next time.
Careful on the Tundra. It scores poorly in all of the major reviews and it has the worst MPG of any truck in its class by a wide margin (if I remember correctly, it is 13/18 for the V8 2WD whereas the Silverado / Sierra is 16/22). Toyota figured out the Tacoma, but the Tundra is quite lacking compared to the Silverado, F-150, and Ram.

Turbo29
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Turbo29 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 am
bob60014 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

They already know about it!
This is the first I've heard about this lawsuit. I wonder if they will compensate anyone who has had to replace these parts? Maybe I should call the lawyers office and see how I can join the suit against GM.
I owned a couple of VWs and am friends with a VW enthusiast. Almost every one of VW's cars has some sort of problem, which they refuse to acknowledge as their fault. Then after a time (lawsuits?) they quietly extend the warranty on the item in question and offer to compensate those who have already paid for repairs. Happened to both of my VW's (I never had the problem but got the extended warranty info in the mail) as well as different models owned by friends.

Point is, GM my have some sort of quiet warranty. Go on online GMC forums and ask around.

NHRATA01
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: New York City area

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by NHRATA01 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am

munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 am
...if GMC would step up to the plate and fix the parts I might consider another GM vehicle.
I learned my lesson many years ago. Why do people keep buying these unreliable cars when they could buy a Honda, Toyota or Subaru? I don't get it at all. You get what you deserve for not doing your homework. :confused
Because Honda, Toyota, and of the 3 particularly Subaru, all have their own reliability issues too, and to suggest otherwise is to be willfully blind.

I come from a GM family, over a dozen or so cars in my 38 years, the only one that has been a problem child was the '10 Traverse with A/C and power steering issues. In the 80s and 90s I would agree there was a large quality gap. Since 2000+ it has closed, and the JD Powers rankings over the years support that.

NHRATA01
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: New York City area

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by NHRATA01 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am
itsgot8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am
munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking).
And how long ago were those eras? Every OEM has their issues. GM/Ford made big strides in quality over the last 10-15 years. In my experience, most peoples' perceptions of domestic OEM quality stems from their products in the 80's and early 90's, which were junk. A lot has changed since then.

Your anecdotal evidence can't be broadly applied to an entire OEM. There are lots of people who have bought vehicles from XYZ OEM and not had issue.
Do you think the resale values (i.e. depreciation rates) reflect the quality/reliability/durability of the vehicle?
Not entirely. Part of the reason GM and Ford had historically poor resale is because they chased a lot of fleet market to make sales volumes look good and keep the factories (of which they had too many) at reasonable utilization. The negative to that is when the fleets turn over every 3 years you have a continuous flood of used cars on the market deflating the value. If you track their financials they've been reporting fleet sales as a % of total for the past few years and keep driving the number lower. This helps resale for the customer and it also helps raise the residual on leases to make for more attractive lease deals.

And have you checked the resale on a GM/Ford truck or SUV?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by munemaker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm

NHRATA01 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am
I come from a GM family, over a dozen or so cars in my 38 years.
Having experience with only GM cars, you just don't know any better.

Here's an article from Consumer Reports that supports my observations:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... nd-beyond/

and this
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resal ... 3779907800

Rather than create bad feelings and get this thread closed, I am just going to drop this subject at this point.

smitcat
Posts: 1753
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 pm

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am
itsgot8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am
munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 am
tibbitts wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am
munemaker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When it comes to quality, Honda is light years ahead of GM
Honda is certainly taking a huge hit to its reputation for its recent behavior.
I lived through the GM bad camshaft era, the GM bad intake gasket era and I can't even begin to count how many dozens of disk brake rotors were replaced prematurely due to being out of flat (vibration when braking).
And how long ago were those eras? Every OEM has their issues. GM/Ford made big strides in quality over the last 10-15 years. In my experience, most peoples' perceptions of domestic OEM quality stems from their products in the 80's and early 90's, which were junk. A lot has changed since then.

Your anecdotal evidence can't be broadly applied to an entire OEM. There are lots of people who have bought vehicles from XYZ OEM and not had issue.
Do you think the resale values (i.e. depreciation rates) reflect the quality/reliability/durability of the vehicle?
Top 10 resale values FWIW:
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resal ... 0973482800

smitcat
Posts: 1753
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm
NHRATA01 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am
I come from a GM family, over a dozen or so cars in my 38 years.
Having experience with only GM cars, you just don't know any better.

Here's an article from Consumer Reports that supports my observations:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... nd-beyond/

and this
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resal ... 3779907800

Rather than create bad feelings and get this thread closed, I am just going to drop this subject at this point.
Too funny - the 2018 CRV is on their list .

NHRATA01
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: New York City area

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by NHRATA01 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

munemaker wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm
NHRATA01 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am
I come from a GM family, over a dozen or so cars in my 38 years.
Having experience with only GM cars, you just don't know any better.

Here's an article from Consumer Reports that supports my observations:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... nd-beyond/

and this
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resal ... 3779907800
Having extensive experience as a shadetree mechanic, degreed mechanical engineer, and auto enthusiast in general, trust me I know better than CR and someone who still thinks the Honda of 1994 is the same as the Honda of 2018 and likewise for GM.

It's not like I don't have Honda friends who have had Accords and TL's from the '99-05 timeframe go through multiple transmissions...

Per your link GM truck/SUV resale exceeds that of Honda - you might want to look at who's 5,6 and 8 https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resal ... 4902460450
And the HD's beat out the Toyota trucks for best resale :)

Honda's that were still using timing belts until a few years ago, and even into the 2000s used solid roller valvetrains that needed periodic lash adjustments. The last GM motor that required that rolled off the line in '72 and was an LT-1 350 making about 400hp.

Toyota will still sell you a Corolla with a 130hp 1.8 that came out 10 years ago and a 4 speed automatic that has been virtually obsolete for 15.

Grasshopper
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

An unnamed german auto some years back had ac compressors that sent metal filings through the whole ac system, Compressors were changed out but the metal filings just continued to ruin all the new parts that were just installed. The fix was to replace hoses, driers, condensers, the whole enchilada. :beer

User avatar
Blueskies123
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Should I contact GMC about A/C issues?

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Something has to be horribly wrong with GMC (and other large GM SUV) AC compressors. I know 2 people with 2015 -2015 GMCs and both their compressors and soon after the condensers we out.

Post Reply