Moving Tip and Ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cresive

Moving Tip and Ideas?

Post by cresive » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 am

Hello Again,
I am gearing up to move about 110 miles away. I haven’t moved in many, many years and while I have an idea of what is involved, I would love to hear from anyone who recently moved and may have some insights. I have spent the last four days decluttering (unfortunately, only half way through), tidied up my yards and will probably rent a storage unit for any unnecessary items. I want to move extra stuff to the storage unit to better stage my house.

Does anyone have any tips on staging your house to sell?

Any tips on making a long-distance move more efficient? For instance, using towels as packing material?

Tips on downsizing? I am moving from a medium city to DC and may have to significantly reduce my house size.

If you are local, any recommendations on moving companies? Any nightmares to avoid?

Thanks,
Ben

bob60014

Re: Moving Tip and Ideas?

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am

" ......city to DC and may have to significantly reduce my house size. "...... You already mentioned it, but do yourself a favor a declutter even more than you think. We went from a 2400 Sq ft home to a 1200 Sq ft condo and we thought we had done a good job of getting rid of the unnecessary, but found found even more to go after we moved in. We didnt want to deal with storage units and such.

Having done so, we still live comfortably and it is actually it is very liberating to be free of having "stuff", knowing we can move again at a momens notice and could have everything packed in a matter of a day or two. Easier to clean too!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 am

cresive wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 am
Any tips on making a long-distance move more efficient? For instance, using towels as packing material?
I've moved myself several times and the last two times I have hired full service movers. They come in, box everything up, move it and unload the boxes on the other end. Most will even set up the bed on the other end. I will never do it any other way because I so enjoy sitting on the sofa and drinking a cold beverage while everyone is doing all the hired work and I don't have to worry about packing materials. Although I always did some decluttering before the move, I usually move and then after unpacking everything I need, let the remainders sit in their boxes for a couple months and then re-evalutate them. Most of the time they end up in the dumpster.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 am

How hot is the market? Our house was completely empty and sold at the top of the market in 3 days. No staging needed, just a nice clean house.

For a full house move, pay for good movers that will come in inventory your stuff before giving you an estimate. We used cut rate "two guys and a truck" type movers for a 2 person, 3 bedroom house and it was barely adequate and only because I took about 10 loads in my SUV myself the day before. The cut rate guys came out to $900 for like 7 hours of work which was half what the full service guys were going to charge. I already had everything boxed up.

Start trolling around for free boxes from friends or anyone you know that has recently moved. People on craigslist here wanted to charge 75% of the price of new boxes. Crumpled newspaper works fine as a packing material for most items but you'll need a lot more than you think because it can compress down.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 am

The biggest thing I've gleaned from my moves is give away, donate or throw out things you don't think you need-as much as possible. 95%+ of the stuff I've gotten rid of I never missed. Even after getting rid of 30% of my stuff during the last move, a lot of things are still sitting in the garage and haven't been used once in 3 years.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 am

Although a 110 mile move is not that long distance and you might be tempted to drive most of the stuff yourself, I would still consider a full service mover with some compromises. I moved twice, once from the Tacoma area to Alaska then 18 years later (retirement) back to the lower 48 doing this both times. I was impressed with the speed and efficiency the crew operated. Single person household but going up 4 man crew had me cleaned out in less than 2 hours and coming back 2 man crew in 4 hours. Second crew only rested for 10 minutes or so and never used the bathroom. I had books and some easy stuff packed and sealed but it took me a long time to do so. Even this much might be questionable unless you have a lot of time. Kept valuables and some heavy books as well as enough clothes etc. to be on my own for awhile in the car and drove that myself. Only caution: their time estimate on delivery both directions was way off (granted this was to/from Alaska) but I would multiply their est. time to delivery by 1.5 or even 2. Make sure you can live comfortably without your stuff for that long.

The hardest move my family ever made was when I was a teenager and my parents purchased a new house 1/2 mile away. The tendency of course is to throw small batches into the car every now and then and string the process out forever causing confusion where anything is at the moment.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

cresive wrote:
Tips on downsizing? I am moving from a medium city to DC and may have to significantly reduce my house size.
Throw away, donate, or sell as much as you can. I did this a lot for my last couple of moves but wish in hindsight that I had been more aggressive about throwing away unnecessary things. Of all the things I tossed out, I miss none of it including many, many boxes of books that I fooled myself into thinking I would re-read at some point.

Craigslist is a simple way to sell stuff. Since you're on the clock, price items really low and they'll usually sell quickly.

Topic Author
cresive

Post by cresive » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am
" ......city to DC and may have to significantly reduce my house size. "...... You already mentioned it, but do yourself a favor a declutter even more than you think. We went from a 2400 Sq ft home to a 1200 Sq ft condo and we thought we had done a good job of getting rid of the unnecessary, but found found even more to go after we moved in. We didnt want to deal with storage units and such.

Having done so, we still live comfortably and it is actually it is very liberating to be free of having "stuff", knowing we can move again at a momens notice and could have everything packed in a matter of a day or two. Easier to clean too!
I had a chuckle when I read your response. I figured that no matter how much I declutter, I will still need to rid my self of more when I finally more. I am looking foward to breaking the shackles of "stuff" even though the divorce will be painful on many of the items. Thanks for your insight.

Topic Author
cresive

Post by cresive » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 am
cresive wrote:
I've moved myself several times and the last two times I have hired full service movers. They come in, box everything up, move it and unload the boxes on the other end. Most will even set up the bed on the other end. I will never do it any other way because I so enjoy sitting on the sofa and drinking a cold beverage while everyone is doing all the hired work and I don't have to worry about packing materials. Although I always did some decluttering before the move, I usually move and then after unpacking everything I need, let the remainders sit in their boxes for a couple months and then re-evalutate them. Most of the time they end up in the dumpster.
I agree. I will definitely hire real movers. Although, I think I will move the very personal, electrical and very fragile items.

Lewis Clark

Post by Lewis Clark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Moving Tips

Before Moving Day:

1. Go through all of your stuff well in advance of the move, and get rid of the things you don’t want in the new place. Why move it if you will just get rid of it at the other end?

2. Decide what you will move yourself. What vehicles and space are available? Estimate the space required to fit the items in the vehicles. Leave at least 25% of the available space empty to allow for extra things you will remember at the last minute.

3. Suggested things NOT to send with the movers:
• Important papers, checkbooks, jewelry
• Medical records, medicines
• Other valuables
• Anything you think is very important, and can squeeze into your vehicles
• Cleaning supplies, vacuum, broom, etc
• Tools
• Paint supplies if you will paint before the movers deliver your stuff
• A small number of pots, plates, flatware, glasses, etc., so you will be able to cook and eat simple meals until you unpack the kitchen stuff. Or, use paper/plastic items. You won’t want to eat every meal in a restaurant.
• One telephone. One radio.

On Moving Day:

1. Put everything the movers won’t be packing into a separate closet. Hang a sign on the closet to remind the movers (and you!) not to pack the contents of the closet.

2. Put items together in one location if you want them packed together.

3. The movers will give you an inventory list, but it is nearly useless when you need to find something, or when you want to know what was in the box that got lost. When you are unpacking, you will at times be looking for specific items, and you need to be able to find them. This will allow you to unpack in an organized manner, and greatly reduce the stress. Plus save the time you would waste searching for things.

Create your own inventory list as follows:

• Find out in advance how many packers will be boxing your stuff.
• Have one adult follow each packer. Get a friend to help if necessary.
• As the packers load each box, keep a detailed inventory of the contents. This is critical to finding things at the other end!!!! The more detail, the better. Don’t just write things like “desk drawer items”. You won’t know in advance everything you will want to find, so plan ahead!
• As each box is sealed, put a serial number on the box with a permanent marker. Write the number in 3 places: top, and 2 opposite sides. Then you won’t ever have to turn the box more than 90 degrees to find the number.
• Also put the same serial number on the inventory list next to the contents of the box. Now, you know exactly what is in each box.
• For key items, list them right on the outside of the box so you can find them easier.
• DO NOT list valuable items like jewelry on the outside of the box. That’s an invitation to be stolen. Not usually a problem unless the boxes will go into storage before they are delivered at the new place.
• If you know which room the box will go to at the new place, write that on the box as well.
• When the movers put their inventory stickers on the boxes, add that number to your inventory list. You will be checking each box off on the movers’ list as they come off the truck, and you will usually miss a few. This cross reference will help you find them in the ocean of cardboard.
• Each person keeping an inventory should use serial numbers starting with a different digit. For example: Wife uses numbers in the 100’s, husband in the 200’s, etc. This will help ID which room it came from as well as prevent duplicates.

4. Suggested items to be sure get put on the inventory are:
• Pots, plates, glasses, flatware, etc
• Bedding, towels
• Lamps and bulbs
• Any cleaning supplies that get packed
• Toilet paper, paper towels, rags
• Extension cords, telephones and phone cords
• Anything you think you will need in the first few days after the movers deliver your stuff.
• Clothes by type (underwear, socks, pants, etc. Identify the owner Hers/his, which kid)
• Toiletry items
• Hardware such as picture hangers, nails, screws
• Any tools that you send with the movers
• Records, CDs, TV’s and stereo equpment. You will want tunes while you unpack!
• Computer stuff.

5. Don’t let the packers put containers and lids made of glass, ceramic, or other fragile material together without separating them with packing material. The direct contact will allow rubbing, which will probably cause breakage.

6. The movers will usually only place a piece of furniture once. Plan ahead where you want each item to go.

A little planning ahead will make the move go much smoother, at the old place and the new place. It will always be a pain, but being organized helps a lot. Good luck!

Topic Author
cresive

Post by cresive » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 am

Lewis Clark wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm
Moving Tips

Before Moving Day:

1. Go through all of your stuff well in advance of the move, and get rid of the things you don’t want in the new place. Why move it if you will just get rid of it at the other end?

2. Decide what you will move yourself. What vehicles and space are available? Estimate the space required to fit the items in the vehicles. Leave at least 25% of the available space empty to allow for extra things you will remember at the last minute.

• Other valuables
• Tools
• A small number of pots, plates, flatware, glasses, etc., so you will be able to cook and eat simple meals until you unpack the kitchen stuff. Or, use paper/plastic items. You won’t want to eat every meal in a restaurant.

On Moving Day:

1. Put everything the movers won’t be packing into a separate closet. Hang a sign on the closet to remind the movers (and you!) not to pack the contents of the closet.

3. The movers will give you an inventory list, but it is nearly useless when you need to find something, or when you want to know what was in the box that got lost. When you are unpacking, you will at times be looking for specific items, and you need to be able to find them. This will allow you to unpack in an organized manner, and greatly reduce the stress. Plus save the time you would waste searching for things.

• As the packers load each box, keep a detailed inventory of the contents. This is critical to finding things at the other end!!!! The more detail, the better. Don’t just write things like “desk drawer items”. You won’t know in advance everything you will want to find, so plan ahead!
• As each box is sealed, put a serial number on the box with a permanent marker. Write the number in 3 places: top, and 2 opposite sides. Then you won’t ever have to turn the box more than 90 degrees to find the number.
• Also put the same serial number on the inventory list next to the contents of the box. Now, you know exactly what is in each box.
• For key items, list them right on the outside of the box so you can find them easier.
• DO NOT list valuable items like jewelry on the outside of the box. That’s an invitation to be stolen. Not usually a problem unless the boxes will go into storage before they are delivered at the new place.
• If you know which room the box will go to at the new place, write that on the box as well.
• When the movers put their inventory stickers on the boxes, add that number to your inventory list. You will be checking each box off on the movers’ list as they come off the truck, and you will usually miss a few. This cross reference will help you find them in the ocean of cardboard.
• Each person keeping an inventory should use serial numbers starting with a different digit. For example: Wife uses numbers in the 100’s, husband in the 200’s, etc. This will help ID which room it came from as well as prevent duplicates.

• Bedding, towels
• Lamps and bulbs
• Anything you think you will need in the first few days after the movers deliver your stuff.
• Clothes by type (underwear, socks, pants, etc. Identify the owner Hers/his, which kid)
• Toiletry items
• Computer stuff.

5. Don’t let the packers put containers and lids made of glass, ceramic, or other fragile material together without separating them with packing material. The direct contact will allow rubbing, which will probably cause breakage.

6. The movers will usually only place a piece of furniture once. Plan ahead where you want each item to go.

A little planning ahead will make the move go much smoother, at the old place and the new place. It will always be a pain, but being organized helps a lot. Good luck!

WOW!!! Thank you for your excellent tips.

Ben

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 am

Lewis Clark wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm
Moving Tips

Before Moving Day:

• Other valuables
• Tools

On Moving Day:

• Bedding, towels
• Lamps and bulbs
• Toiletry items
• Computer stuff.

An inventory of socks and underwear? :shock:

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 am

People seem to offer free moving boxes here reasonably often; you may want to monitor your area for opportunities:

https://freecycle.org/search

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:15 am

Some friends of mine did a move several states away and made just about all the mistakes that can be made. This was a hasty decision made from a vacation visit to the new area. They are retired but have no friends or family in the new state....

They did not declutter and moved ALL of their belongings, including the contents of two storage buildings....

Received a NON BINDING estimate from a national moving firm. That firm contracted the move to a sub contractor. The subcontractor demanded 50% extra payment due to “increased weight” and held all their belongings hostage till payment was made.

The sale of their existing house had title and paperwork issues after they moved out but not before they moved into the new house. They were “Homeless” for about a week until those issues were resolved.

First night in the new house was disturbed by trains on a main line less than a mile from their new home. They didn’t conduct any due diligence of the area before buying the new home, but moved to the new area for peace and quiet.

All of the posted on Facebook by his distraught wife....

Look before you leap, I say....
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am

The primary mistake I made was not moving some items because I thought it would be cheaper to buy them at the destination, such as a small vacuum cleaner, only to find that the new ones are cheesy compared to the older ones I discarded.

Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:14 am

Former mover here. You've gotten a lot of really good advice above. I'll add to the chorus stating you should sell, donate, or throw away even more than you think. I cannot count the number of times I moved people only to have them talk about this or that thing they were throwing out on the other side.

Investigate and make sure you understand whether your move will be dedicated or not. National moving companies often use a semi-truck and load 1-4 houses and drop off based on location. Often the driver coordinates with local movers to handle the load/unload. A dedicated move just means that the same guys who pick up your stuff will drive straight to the unload and drop it off. Given the distance of your move, I'd suggest the latter. If it's a two-man operation, and you are comfortable paying for a little smoother move, ask if they can send a three-man team. The third guy can handle lots of the smaller stuff while two handle larger items, and they can swap out so no one gets too tired.

I know there are mixed opinions on tipping movers on this board. My suggestion: tip, and let the movers know you intend to do so up front if the move goes well. I know some people think that's gauche, but people respond to incentives. Let the movers know your priorities. If you want speed at all costs, tell them. If you want them to take every effort to avoid any nick, scratch, or bump, tell them. Moving is always a balance between speed and care. A move of that size means you'll spend the whole day with these guys. I still fondly remember customers that provided drinks and lunch. I'd like to think I treated every client as best I could, but I'd be fooling myself if I said I didn't take better care of customers who took good care of us.

Good luck.
Last edited by Sic Vis Pacem on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am

I made the mistake of not using all the same size boxes, so the movers made me repack everything. I have a lot of breakables and antiques, so I packed them in boxes that would protect them best, not what would make loading them easiest. I also used a variety of packing materials, old newspapers (they turn everything black if you don't age them), diapers that my daughter outgrew, towels, clothes, ziploc bags with air blown in them, plastic shopping bags, and reused shipping stuff from Amazon purchases. Make sure that everything you want moved appears on the list when you get an estimate, and make sure everything is packed and ready to go before the movers get there. Do a lot of research before choosing your mover.

I interviewed several movers and read all the reviews when I moved 5 miles away. The movers decided to take a 2 hour break and try to say that it took them that long to follow truck routes to my house and their lunch was only 30 mins. The company's owner let himself into my house and started yelling at me about delaying their move and threatened to pack everything back up and hold my things if I didn't pay an extra $1,000. Needless to say, this did not go over well with me. Thanks to Mapquest, I was able to prove that unless they walked to my house, every feasible route to my new house was a truck route and there were no restaurants close enough to either house to be able to go there, eat, and get back within 30 minutes. They also tried to say that I had delayed loading because I didn't have everything packed. There was only one bed not ready to go when they got here, and we moved it ourselves. It took at least 2 weeks of calling, writing bad reviews on every website I could find, and an honest promise to get a lawyer and sue him for charging my credit card again for the company to refund what they overcharged. And because the movers lied, I didn't tip anything other than the drinks and snacks I had already provided. I also had a problem with them not wanting to move giant plants. I specifically pointed out during the estimates that the plants needed to be moved. They were added to the moving list and I was charged extra for them. I'm fine with that. Then the movers said they didn't want to move them, they wouldn't fit on the truck, and I would have to pay even more than what I had already paid.

If you have them pack for you, make sure that someone is at the old house to check that everything is on the truck. My sister moved from Las Vegas to Illinois and her Vegas realtor called to let her know that the movers forgot to pack up an entire room. It took an extra month for her son's things to arrive.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 am

cresive wrote:
will probably rent a storage unit for any unnecessary items.
Don't store unnecessary items, get rid of them.

Since you are moving to a smaller place, don't start with the things you have and then get rid of stuff. Start with the things you have and "go shopping" from them for what you actually need for the new place. It's a completely different mindset. Don't take anything just because you already have it. Make a fresh start. Let the baseline be not taking anything with you and go from there.

For staging, the first thing to do is make sure that everything is 100% clean and spotless. No mold in the bathroom, no dust on the baseboards, no grime on the light switch plates.

abonder

Post by abonder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 am
cresive wrote:

Since you are moving to a smaller place, don't start with the things you have and then get rid of stuff. Start with the things you have and "go shopping" from them for what you actually need for the new place. It's a completely different mindset. Don't take anything just because you already have it. Make a fresh start. Let the baseline be not taking anything with you and go from there.

For staging, the first thing to do is make sure that everything is 100% clean and spotless. No mold in the bathroom, no dust on the baseboards, no grime on the light switch plates.
Lot of really good advice in this thread. I would reinforce what pajamas said about changing your mindset and completely decluttering/downsizing. Each time I move, I use the months leading up to the move to take inventory, de clutter, archive, organize, etc. Your current home will show so much better decluttered and you won’t waste time, money, and energy transferring unneeded or unwanted stuff to the new place. I did summer work for a moving company and was always shocked that people would pay good money to move worthless things. Sometimes we would move boxes that had not been unpacked from the prior move. Also, every time I go to see an open house where the owners haven’t decluttered and optimized the Presentation, I wonder how much money they are giving up on the sale. It might not hurt you as much in a red hot market, but I think it’s geberall counterproductive

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:49 pm

You can buy large quantities of newsprint paper without any black ink from Amazon. It is so much better than using newspapers and ending up with black smudges everywhere.
Heavy duty packing tape and dispenser. Costco sells these and the dispenser is much easier than ripping off pieces.
Buy heavy duty plastic mattress bags from Amazon. Movers tell you they have better or use boxes. If you can manage to pack your mattresses, you can save a lot in packing materials.
People who emphasize selling, donating, or discarding are absolutely correct. Even after doing that it always seems there are more things that should not have been moved.
Lists - write down everything you need to do. With so much going on you will need to refer to it.

Best of Luck with the move

MSO4PRN

Post by MSO4PRN » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:08 pm

get boxes from liquor stores. they are some of the best boxes for moving valuable stuff. small and thick, can support good amount of weight. best of all, they are free. get boxes that 1.75 bottles of booze were packed in. eat all your food in your freezer/canned goods prior to the move.

i moved all my art and stored it at my friends place a week before bc i didnt want movers touching them

also, spoken from a former mover, hands get dirty moving boxes and picking stuff up. anything that you dont want to get a dirty finger smudge on, wrap up in saran wrap or the moving saran wrap.

nows a good time to donate clothes you dont wear, kitchen items you dont use, and furniture as well

-go to hardware store and get the hammer-in felt things for bottom of couches/furniture for the new place if you have tile/hardwood.

keep toilet paper in car so if you have to take a dump when your moving youre in the clear.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 am
cresive wrote:

This. After moving (And getting rid of what I thought was a lot of stuff), I remodeled my kitchen. That required putting everything from the kitchen in the garage. When I finished, rather than loading it up with everything I had (which wouldn't have fit anyway), I brought things into the kitchen as I needed them. After 3 or so months anything in the garage I knew I shouldn't have moved in the first place.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Another thought: if you have bicycles consider having them packed by a specialty bicycle store or by major outdoor retailer such as REI. I did not do this the first time and movers lost part of the headset bolt. Next time I did - they packed them much better than movers would probably think of with spacers to hold the forks & gear clusters in position and plenty of padding. I think it cost about $50/bicycle and they supplied the boxes.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 pm

cresive wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on staging your house to sell?
1. clean - everything must be clean and cannot have foul orders. Windows and mirrors should sparkle. Furniture must be dusted. There cannot be fingerprints on the wall, dirt on the floor, etc.
2. relentlessly declutter - no magnets on the fridge, have pantry organized and tidy, don't have excessive bottles in the bathroom, box up 1/3 of the clothes/shoes in your closets, box up excess electronic equipment, remove excess furniture if it detracts from the purpose of the room and/or clutters it.
3. neutralize - remove family photos and other overly personal objects, repaint if there are bold colors with a neutral color (but not pure white) if needed
4. lastly - make sure your rooms have a purpose. For example, if you have a space that isn't a living room, dining room or bedroom, stage it as a game room or reading nook. Stage outdoor areas with seating to show how it can be used for entertainment and relaxation.
5. if working with a Realtor, look online at the photos of their current listings. Do they take their own photos? I'm always shocked at agents who take their own pictures and don't bother turning lights on, or those who take pictures in the kitchen when there are wrappers and cleaning products left on the counter (or magnets on the fridge) - this is the sign of an agent who "doesn't get it" because they should know - and care - that you will get more showings and better offers when your house is staged to sell. Look for an agent who uses professional photos or video with adequate lighting to showcase the best features of your home. Some agents will recommend hiring a home staging expert and even pay for a consultation.

On the last note, I feel that I do a good job of staging my house before I sell it. I still hire a professional stager for a 1-2 hour walkthrough to get tips on how to improve the appearance of my home (and ultimately the photos used in marketing the home). If I think my closet is "good enough" and the stager says "it's still too cluttered", then I box up more clothes. It's really easy to say "eh, that's good enough", however, the way you present your home to sell will be different than how you live in it on a day-to-day basis.