Tipping in a hotel room/cruise ship room

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
amitb00

Tipping in a hotel room/cruise ship room

Post by amitb00 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Another tipping thread.
We talk about tipping at restaurant/fast food/take out places. Do you tip in hotel room for the cleaning staff on day of departure? Recently I went on a cruise. Cruises are notorious to charge $15 per person per day for tips. I still left tip for person who cleans our cabin. I also gave case tip to folks who waited for us at sit in dining place every day. Just curious how do other folks do here.

Hayden

Re: Tipping in a hotel room/cruise ship room

Post by Hayden » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm

In a hotel, we tip the cleaning people each day. On a cruise, we tip at the end of the cruise.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:51 pm

I've never been on a cruise, but have stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms. I almost never leave a tip. Especially when traveling on business because getting reimbursement from the company on a cash outlay with no receipt is like pulling teeth, and I have this hangup about spending my own money on a business trip.

I always put the "do not disturb" sign on the door and leave it on for the duration of the stay. Housekeeping then only comes at the end of my stay, unless they force it upon me sooner (this is happening in Las Vegas after the Mandalay Bay shooter incident). I don't make a mess, tend to re-use bath towels for multiple days, don't need to have my bed made daily, etc. so I'd just prefer they stay out.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Hayden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm
In a hotel, we tip the cleaning people each day. On a cruise, we tip at the end of the cruise.
Us too and we have about a dozen cruises under our belt or more. They have a recommended amount, generally a range which may, or may not, be a little high. Figure how much you would tip at breakfast, lunch and dinner and for a room attendant and see if that is in line with the guidelines. I generally find it is although we may give some extra to someone who has earned it through special attention.,... Cruise director is in addition and that's a couple of dollars a day per person. At the end of a high end cruise it's just a number to add to the overall cost, no biggie..

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

daily clean - linen, towels and such, hotel or cruise, We leave a couple of bucks each day
waiter in dining room, tip at end of cruise, same with the helper or bus person that works with the waiter
we usually tip up front whoever oversees the cabin service team (supervisor?),
for special service in the cabin (more sheets, soap, pillows..., food or drinks) perhaps a few bucks for each event
same with "extras" in the dining room

for all inclusive stays or trips we still add dollars for special attention
Enjoy your next trip
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

dpc

Post by dpc » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm

I don't know about cruises, but I try to leave a small tip each morning for the hotel room cleaners, whether traveling for business or pleasure. Regarding expenses and expense sheets - as my old boss told a co-worker "If you can't figure out a way to get paid for it, you're not nearly as smart as I thought you were."
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 pm

dpc wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm
I don't know about cruises, but I try to leave a small tip each morning for the hotel room cleaners, whether traveling for business or pleasure. Regarding expenses and expense sheets - as my old boss told a co-worker "If you can't figure out a way to get paid for it, you're not nearly as smart as I thought you were."
Some businesses have a no-tip-reimbursement policy, and the only way to get reimbursed would be fraudulent. So I think your old boss would be walking a fine line there. Maybe that's why he's no longer your boss.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

We leave $5 each morning for the cleaning staff in hotels. We never have, or ever will, take a cruise. The older we get, the more that we realize how underpaid the people that do these menial jobs are. While they cannot do much extra for you, they leave extra waters, put your toiletries on towels, etc.
Regarding being on business travel and not getting reimbursed for the tip, ten extra miles on your travel for the day gets you $5.40. Or, try something creative like listing it as a non receipted cost. Who would reject that?

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Last year, I saw a YouTube where a UK national was hired on a major cruise line as an assistant waiter. He managed to stick it out for about ten weeks. When you considered his salary and his tips, less the money that he was charged for living expenses, uniform fees, and several other charges. he made about GBP$2 for the 60 hours+ he worked each week when he was out at sea.

Like many other posters, I am NOT inclined to cruise both due to the low wages of the staff and it is not my type of holiday.

Yes, i would tip to the extent that is requested even if I do not use all of the services.

============================

If you look through YouTube, you will generally find any number of videos about the "great opportunities" in the industry. Of course, cursory analysis will show that most of the videos are generated by ... employment agencies.
Last edited by jlawrence01 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Cruises have the nice feature that they tell you up front what expected gratuities are. They also automatically add them to your room charges at the end of your trip. You have the option of changing those amounts; you also have the option of taking those amounts in cash and putting the money in envelopes and giving them directly to your crew members.

We like the transparency of the cruise tipping system. We always tip at least the suggested amount, and usually a little more. On one cruise we had such outstanding service from our dining room staff that we gave them each an extra $50. When we ask the crew to do something extra - room service, bring us empty glasses, clean up the sand my kid just dumped on the carpet - we tip extra. We also tip the child care/teen room directors and care givers even though the programs are included in the cost of the cruise.

I have to say that the best service we have ever received at any institution anywhere has been on our cruises. They are unfaillingly polite, devoted, and genteel. These are mostly foreign nationals, competing for jobs that pay relatively high salaries (compared to their home countries) while being pitifully low (compared to our countries). French restaurants are a distant second and they’re usually very good. American restaurants, even expensive ones, pale in comparison.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:32 pm
Last year, I saw a YouTube where a UK national was hired on a major cruise line as an assistant waiter. He managed to stick it out for about ten weeks. When you considered his salary and his tips, less the money that he was charged for living expenses, uniform fees, and several other charges. he made about GBP$2 for the 60 hours+ he worked each week when he was out at sea.

Like many other posters, I am NOT inclined to cruise both due to the low wages of the staff and it is not my type of holiday.

Yes, i would tip to the extent that is requested even if I do not use all of the services.

============================

If you look through YouTube, you will generally find any number of videos about the "great opportunities" in the industry. Of course, cursory analysis will show that most of the videos are generated by ... employment agencies.
If you think the low wages are so terrible, wouldn’t you want to cruise so that you could remedy the problem with your generous tipping? Believe me that would be incredibly appreciated, and a very dignified way of providing global charity.

Re: ‘type of holiday’, we were sure of the same thing, until we did our first cruise. Now we’ve done four. I could probably do four weeks of cruising a year and never get bored. I never have as much time to read, so much quiet time, so few tasks I have to do, as when I’m on a cruise. Unlike a traditional holiday I don’t have to plan the next day’s itinerary; I don’t have to drive 300 miles; I don’t have to call the next hotel or deal with the car rental company or figure out who wants to eat what food. We also like to camp, hike, backpack, travel to Europe, visit the museums in DC, etc., but my entire family loves cruising just as much for its relaxed vibe.

student

Post by student » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm

For cruise ships, in addition to the mandated tips, I give extra money for the room attendant and the wait staff but I give them directly. For hotels, I usually put the do not disturb sign for my stay and leave a few dollars at the end of my trip.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:16 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 pm
Some businesses have a no-tip-reimbursement policy, and the only way to get reimbursed would be fraudulent. So I think your old boss would be walking a fine line there. Maybe that's why he's no longer your boss.
I’m not sure I’d want to work for a company with such a policy. Tipping is a perfectly necessary and ordinary expense of business traveling and entertainment and should be reimbursed. Maybe I was spoiled in my working career but I never heard of such a policy.
Gill

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Typically leave a few dollars for hotel attendant, along with daily requests that I have. I find that this is a good method of getting what you desire.

We travel on luxury-end cruiselines, ones that neither expect or encourage tipping (i.e., the staff is well paid). We still give a bunch to our stewardess (that is what our housekeeper is called) because we do want to acknowledge our appreciation for her hard work.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Hotel - $5 each time I let them in the room - which is once every 2-3 days, I don't make a mess either.

If I was on a cruise, I'd tip up front - better service getting what you want in the room. You would stand out perhaps? Never done a cruise, but I'd want them to know from day 1 wasn't a cleapa$$.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 pm

We tip the hotel maids each morning, including the morning we check out. $5 per day per room; $10 or so if extra dirty or in a suite.

In my business travel, every employer I’ve traveled for reimburses tips.

Andy.

student

Post by student » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:18 pm

Here is a recent article that you may find interesting.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... uskeeping/

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Gill wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:16 pm
tibbitts wrote:
I’m not sure I’d want to work for a company with such a policy. Tipping is a perfectly necessary and ordinary expense of business traveling and entertainment and should be reimbursed. Maybe I was spoiled in my working career but I never heard of such a policy.
Gill
We can tip and pay cash for those tips (while getting a reimbursement), but it does come out of the meal "allotment". So, if you had a full meal day, there might not be any funds left.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Gill wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:16 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Gill
You never worked for either state or federal government. While in travel status, we would get a per diem based on the travel destination. Go over it and you were on your own, stay under it and the difference was yours. Tipping was to be included in the per diem. Hotel bills were required for reimbursement, restaurant bills weren’t. Government hotel rates were almost always the top reimburseable amount. If you traveled in state, you had to provide the hotel with a Tax Exempt Certificate. If you didn’t and paid the tax yourself, it wasn’t reimbursed.

These rules only are applied to civil service employees; political appointees had their own set of rules.

Katie

Post by Katie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 pm

I haven't been on a cruise in years, so I don't recall what I tipped there, but I leave between $3 and $5 a day in a hotel. Also never had an issue getting reimbursed for tips on a work trip.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 pm

I tip the recommended at the end of the cruise charged to my credit card. If someone does an outstanding job, I will also tip them cash at the end. Usually, it's $20-$40 depending on length of the cruise.

I know these people are underpaid according to our standards. But many of them have told me they make better wages working on the ship than in their own country. Sure, they may not be telling me the truth. But if their goal is to get more tip from me, telling me how well paid they are doesn't seem like a good tactic.

I never tip hotel rooms as the do not disturb sign is hung as soon as I walk into my room. I also clean up the room before I leave by placing all the trash in the bin and putting everything back where I found them.

NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 pm

I tip the recommended amounts on cruises. The cruise line I usually travel actually is all-inclusive so the standard tips are included in the cruise fare, anyway. In addition, if I have on-board credit leftover, I will tip them extra out of that. This is credit that I can't cash out, and didn't find a different use for, so it costs me nothing to do that, but I think some people don't realize they can do this and then the money just vaporizes. The crew on cruise ships, particularly dining room and room stewards work their butts off for very little pay. They really need those tips. If I cruise on a non-inclusive cruise line, I would tip the recommended amount (and maybe extra for something exceptional).

For whatever reason, I am pretty random about hotel rooms. I am resentful that I am expected to tip on a $200/night room, and I am not very messy. I will sometimes tip, sometimes not. Just depends. I guess I am more inclined to tip if I stayed more than one night, but I never do it until the last morning in any case.

I am happy to tip generously in restaurants, but for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way for hotel service. Maybe it's just because I never even realized hotel tipping was a thing until many years after I had started staying in hotels? My parents stayed in hotels very rarely when I was growing up, and if they tipped, I was not aware of it.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:57 pm

I rarely tip the hotel. I reckon that is what the room charge is for.

However, once we were embarrassed as we prepared to check out because the room was so messy. We hunted down the house keeper, made sure she was the one cleaning the room, and paid $10 into her hand.

I'd do it again if I left such a mess again.

It seems to me we've discussed this topic before. Deja vu ....
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:33 am

NancyABQ wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 pm
For whatever reason, I am pretty random about hotel rooms. I am resentful that I am expected to tip on a $200/night room, and I am not very messy. I will sometimes tip, sometimes not. Just depends. I guess I am more inclined to tip if I stayed more than one night, but I never do it until the last morning in any case.

I am happy to tip generously in restaurants, but for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way for hotel service. Maybe it's just because I never even realized hotel tipping was a thing until many years after I had started staying in hotels? My parents stayed in hotels very rarely when I was growing up, and if they tipped, I was not aware of it.
It is a common line of thinking. According to the figure in an article that I linked in an earlier reply, about 30% of the hotel guests tip. I guess people also feel differently about tipping in hotels that are unionized. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-n ... 77036.html https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-03-13/ ... test-hotel

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am

Tipping on a cruise ship is easy. If you are from USA, tip $5+ for room per day, and something equivalent to your dining waiter based on the expense. If you are from Europe, do not tip, it is not expected from you. If you are from somewhere else, choose a method from above of your choice, or tip somewhere in between. USA travelers are expected to tip, even if some gratuities were included already.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:54 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm
I don't tip hotel rooms.

I've only been on one cruise and at the end I tipped the waitstaff $80 cash and this was because we felt a lot of pressure to tip, but it made me feel bad. It wasn't mandated but we received psychological pressure to tip. I don't want to do that again. It's probably just me -- I'm cheap.

It was a Disney cruise. You keep the same restaurant waitstaff through the whole cruise, they follow you around from restaurant to restaurant every night and they sort of become your "friends". Otherwise, we loved that cruise!
There's a lot of stuff around about Disney employees, at least in the theme parks, being paid so poorly some are on food stamps. Like Amazon employees. So if I were at a Disney business, I would certainly tip.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Hotels: I leave $2-3/night at inexpensive hotels or hotels in economically depressed areas. I figure those housekeepers are likely underpaid and struggling to find/keep a job. I tend not to tip at higher end hotels in nice areas as I figure those housekeepers should already be decently compensated. If a housekeeper goes out of their way to provide an extra service, eg extra towels, I will tip at that time.

Cruise: I tip as recommended. If someone provides outstanding service, I will likely tip him/her/them extra accordingly.

goingup

Post by goingup » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:54 pm

I think tipping might be an older generation thing. Younger people really don't carry cash. (My observation.) I'm old and carry cash and tip daily in a hotel room--$2-3. On cruises we have prepaid gratuities. Valet parking $2-5.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:06 pm

I’m in my 50s and don’t normally carry cash. However, I m carry cash when traveling because I think it is right to tip hotel and others who provide me with personal service.

I’m sure that some do not share my moral intuitions about this, but hope that those who do would make an effort to obtain cash for tipping when traveling.

Andy.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:10 pm

No, I view it as the hotel's job to pay their cleaning staff.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am
Tipping on a cruise ship is easy. If you are from USA, tip $5+ for room per day, and something equivalent to your dining waiter based on the expense. If you are from Europe, do not tip, it is not expected from you. If you are from somewhere else, choose a method from above of your choice, or tip somewhere in between. USA travelers are expected to tip, even if some gratuities were included already.
lol Certainly makes Americans sound like suckers.

sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't cruise so can't comment on that. I never tip in hotel rooms-- my philosophy is that I've exchanged the nightly fare for a room and amenities such as a turndown service. Why would I pay more than the price I've agreed to?

Like all tipping, it boils down to whether or not you feel it's your personal responsibility to improve the salary of the employees who provide you a service. Many people think that it is, and that's fine for them. I think the idea is preposterous and that the employer should handle that. I don't think you'll ever really change someone's mind one way or the other on the issue.

I still don't know why the minimum wage bagger at the supermarket isn't tipped, though, if chambermaids and waitstaff are.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:10 pm
US News reports that, in 2016, the average salary for maids and housekeepers was below $22,000 per year.

https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-j ... per/salary

I don’t know how much of that populations is comprised of hotel maids, but I imagine that customer tips are extremely meaningful to hotel maids and their families.

In an ideal world, one could argue, cleaning up for others would pay a living wage. However, if the labor markets don’t support that, I’m happy to tip hotel maids who work hard to improve my stay. A dirty hotel room can be a miserable experience, and I’m grateful for those who clean my room’s toilets and sinks, make up beds with clean linens, etc.

Andy.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:44 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm
golfCaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:10 pm
US News reports that, in 2016, the average salary for maids and housekeepers was below $22,000 per year.

https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-j ... per/salary

I don’t know how much of that populations is comprised of hotel maids, but I imagine that customer tips are extremely meaningful to hotel maids and their families.

In an ideal world, one could argue, cleaning up for others would pay a living wage. However, if the labor markets don’t support that, I’m happy to tip hotel maids who work hard to improve my stay. A dirty hotel room can be a miserable experience, and I’m grateful for those who clean my room’s toilets and sinks, make up beds with clean linens, etc.

Andy.
Being a hotel maid is unskilled labor. In a LCOL to MCOL area, $22k/year seems more than reasonable compensation for that type of work.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:11 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:44 pm
Being a hotel maid is unskilled labor. In a LCOL to MCOL area, $22k/year seems more than reasonable compensation for that type of work.
It is fascinating how smart people of good will can have such different views. Since this figure is an average, many maids likely make less than that.

I wish that businesses would pay living wages even to unskilled laborers. Members of this populations arguably work harder than I do and yet earn very little compared to what my skills command in the labor markets.

As the political philosopher John Rawls has emphasized, it is a form of “moral luck” that I was born and raised in much more fortunate circumstances than many hotel maids, and so I don’t begrudge offering a tip that means little to me financially but may mean a lot those who serve me.

The many BH threads on tipping probably rarely change anyone’s tipping behavior, but they do a good jobs exploring members’ differences about some interesting and important topics!

Andy.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:36 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:11 pm
golfCaddy wrote:
It is fascinating how smart people of good will can have such different views. Since this figure is an average, many maids likely make less than that.

Andy.
13 states plus the District of Columbia have minimum wages of at least $10/hour. $10/hour at 40 hours/week is $20800/year. The only way a maid is making much less than $22k/year in those states or D.C. is if they don't work full time.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:36 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
golfCaddy wrote:

Andy.
13 states plus the District of Columbia have minimum wages of at least $10/hour. $10/hour at 40 hours/week is $20800/year. The only way a maid is making much less than $22k/year in those states or D.C. is if they don't work full time.
It would be interesting to know hotel maid wages by state and also how many maids are offered full-time employment.

Andy.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:16 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm
golfCaddy wrote:
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
golfCaddy wrote:

Andy.
It would be interesting to know hotel maid wages by state and also how many maids are offered full-time employment.

Andy.
Not exactly what you are looking for but it contains relevant information. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes372012.htm

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:31 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm
golfCaddy wrote:
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
golfCaddy wrote:

Andy.

Andy.
Some low wage jobs are deliberately part-time by the employer, so the employer doesn't have to offer health care and other benefits. Then people have to cobble together 2 or 3 jobs, with the added expense of travel and stress on sleep, difficulties with child care, etc.

I think anyone who works forty hours a week should be earning enough to live on. Someone who cleans toilets for a living works harder than I ever did.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:35 pm

midareff wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:53 pm
Hayden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm
Us too and we have about a dozen cruises under our belt or more. They have a recommended amount, generally a range which may, or may not, be a little high. Figure how much you would tip at breakfast, lunch and dinner and for a room attendant and see if that is in line with the guidelines. I generally find it is although we may give some extra to someone who has earned it through special attention.,... Cruise director is in addition and that's a couple of dollars a day per person. At the end of a high end cruise it's just a number to add to the overall cost, no biggie..
Agreed. I would also add on all the cruises we’ve been on the crews work really long days on weeks/months long contracts, away from home and family. We use the recommended daily rate as a starting point and then recognize individual crew members individually as we feel led...

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm

All I can say is WOW. Try living on $22,000 a year.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 pm

I essentially live in hotels for about half the year. I leave $2/day cash when I check out.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 am

I have never been on a cruise. My wife is a minibar attendant in a luxury hotel, and can tell you that by leaving money in the room for the housekeeper it will only be taken by the person who was assigned to clean your room that day. The housekeeper that day may only work Fridays, for example. Another issue is, who are you tipping? Sometimes all of the rooms are "stripped" (the linens and towels removed) by one person, and another does the cleaning. The person who gets to your room first is usually taking the money, and they may not have been in your room at all during your trip before that day due to scheduling. Also, many people are involved in attending to your room besides the housekeepers. The minibar attendants in my wife's hotel are also the ones who clean and replace the coffee pots, and remove and replace any glassware used by the guests. There are also linen runners who take dirty sheets and towels to the laundry and bring fresh ones for the housekeepers. An engineer may have come to your room to replace light bulbs or complete other repairs. The housekeepers only do what is considered "light" cleaning, and another employee called a "houseman" does more thorough cleaning tasks (such as getting on a stool to dust light fixtures). There are also people who clean the common areas of the hotel, such as hallways and the lobby. Leaving a few dollars for the housekeeper doesn't ensure that your money is going to the person you intended it for, and may also overlook a lot of others.

student

Post by student » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 am

Cyclone wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 am
I have never been on a cruise. My wife is a minibar attendant in a luxury hotel, and can tell you that by leaving money in the room for the housekeeper it will only be taken by the person who was assigned to clean your room that day. The housekeeper that day may only work Fridays, for example. Another issue is, who are you tipping? Sometimes all of the rooms are "stripped" (the linens and towels removed) by one person, and another does the cleaning. The person who gets to your room first is usually taking the money, and they may not have been in your room at all during your trip before that day due to scheduling. Also, many people are involved in attending to your room besides the housekeepers. The minibar attendants in my wife's hotel are also the ones who clean and replace the coffee pots, and remove and replace any glassware used by the guests. There are also linen runners who take dirty sheets and towels to the laundry and bring fresh ones for the housekeepers. An engineer may have come to your room to replace light bulbs or complete other repairs. The housekeepers only do what is considered "light" cleaning, and another employee called a "houseman" does more thorough cleaning tasks (such as getting on a stool to dust light fixtures). There are also people who clean the common areas of the hotel, such as hallways and the lobby. Leaving a few dollars for the housekeeper doesn't ensure that your money is going to the person you intended it for, and may also overlook a lot of others.
Interesting info regarding minibar attendants. I suppose this is similar to there are busy boys and cooks when one tips the servers. The hotel/restaurant needs to decide whether there is a mechanism to share tips.

Tal-

Post by Tal- » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 am

I'm apparently a bit of a hypocrite. I consider myself a good tipper, but I don't tip hotel housekeeping. After reading this thread, that will change, and I'll start leaving 2-3 for each time we let them in.

For a cruise, the norm is to tip your room steward and wait staff at the end of the cruise. Some also tip favorite bar tenders, sommeliers, etc. For a 7 day cruise, we end up tipping around $50 total. This is in addition to the automatic tips taken out, which I consider part of the cruise fare rather than an actual tip.
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 am

I don't tip at hotels unless it is an inclusive or vacation type place and then I do on the last day.

vveat

Post by vveat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm

I am rather inconsistent about housekeeping tips. Usually don't tip for 1 night stays, but leave $1-2 a day for multi-day stays. Now that I am thinking about it may not make sense since there is most work on checkout, not on interim fixing of the room. I guess my logic was more building goodwill towards somebody with access to my things on daily basis.

On the recent cruise we never made it to the "regular' dining room, with kids it was easier to hit the buffet where there is no permanent wait staff. So in the end we tipped $20 to the room steward and $20 to the buffet room greeter who was very entertaining. My rule was just people with whom I have interacted long enough on the cruise to recognize them. This was on top of the standard room tip which was pretty high already (I think $52 per day for me and 2 little kids)