Whole Foods -- any drop in prices after Amazon takeover ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SlowMovingInvestor

Whole Foods -- any drop in prices after Amazon takeover ?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I rarely shop at Whole Foods -- it's too expensive for my taste. I do shop at Trader Joe's, which is very reasonably priced.

WF is not very convenient for me, but I happen to be passing near one tomorrow. Have some prices gone down after the Amazon takeover to be more reasonably priced (say comparable to TJs for comparable items) ? I do realize we get a larger discount if we use AMZN card, but that by itself is not much.

02nz

Re: Whole Foods -- any drop in prices after Amazon takeover ?

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Funny, I just did my grocery run at Whole Foods and Traders Joe's (right next door to each other).

I can't say whether prices have come own across the board as I haven't tracked enough items with enough consistency to say. But there are definitely some good deals for Prime members - e.g., recently bulk items were 25% off for Prime members, and now Prime members get 10% off all sale items.

I think if you go buy the same items at both stores without looking at what's on sale, TJ's is still cheaper. But there are more opportunities to save than before, if you have Prime.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:25 pm

We've found it a mixed bag, but mostly not to our advantage.

Prices on a few things we buy regularly went down.

On the other hand, Whole Foods used to offer a 10% "case discount' for quantities in its 365 private label brand, and we used that regularly to stock up on things like packaged soup broth, pasta sauce and salsa, mayonnaise, condiments, olive oil, etc. But the company abolished the 365 case discount a couple months ago, which is in effect a price increase for us on all of those items.

The company is also really laying on the promotion of Amazon Prime: Prime signs at the entrance, Prime "frames" around the register screens, Prime signs in the aisles, cashiers asking if we're Prime or would like to join Prime. Since we've been shopping at Whole Foods ever since it has been in our area, a couple decades, we find it irritating to be expected to pay for Prime in order to get sale prices.

And then there are things which were always more expensive and remain so, e.g., a particular brand of packaged sliced cheese which used to be $3.49 at Trader Joe's but $4.99 at Whole Foods and has gone up to $3.99 at Trader Joe's but is now $5.99 at our local Whole Foods but we've even seen it at $6.99 when visiting other Whole Foods out of town where the local Trader Joe's is still selling it for $3.99.

We continue to shop there because we want to buy organic as much as possible and on that point there really aren't any other comparable grocery choices in our area. We also have some food sensitivities, and all of the ingredients in WF's prepared foods are well-labeled.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 pm

What we have noticed is that some of the things we bought there which may have been high end items are no longer available. The closest WF is an hour away so we aren't there often but we ask about things and they explain that they no longer buy them because they aren't discounted by the vendor. So we will go there much less frequently. Most of the stuff at WF is nothing special.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:29 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 pm
I rarely shop at Whole Foods -- it's too expensive for my taste. I do shop at Trader Joe's, which is very reasonably priced.

WF is not very convenient for me, but I happen to be passing near one tomorrow. Have some prices gone down after the Amazon takeover to be more reasonably priced (say comparable to TJs for comparable items) ? I do realize we get a larger discount if we use AMZN card, but that by itself is not much.
yes prices went down. on what depends on your tastes. how much is minimal. but if you were already going to WH what does it matter?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Never been to WF or TJ.

Costco sells sliced cheddar for $2 a pound in 5 lb package. DW freezes 4 pounds then takes out a pound at a time.

tbill1

Post by tbill1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 pm

WF just came to our area, so can't speak about pricing. I do get irritated with the requests for our prime account. (I don't even have an Amazon account, let alone a prime account) "Please-just let me pay for my purchase and leave!"

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:42 pm

If you have Prime, you should download the Whole Foods app on your phone so that you can view the deals at your local store before you go shopping.

We mostly shop according to these "deals"....we don't usually use WF for anything other than milk, eggs, meat, and some produce, as it's too expensive. If they didn't have Prime deals, we probably wouldn't shop there at all.

For example: at my store, Prime deals this week are a pound of 90/10 grass-fed ground beef and a pound of ground turkey for $3.99/lb each, Honest Lemonade 2/$3, cherries and heirloom tomatoes each $3.99/lb, mangoes 4 for $3. Pretty decent prices.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I could care less about organic, I want good quality tasty food at an acceptable price. And I actively avoid food touting non-GMO as a non-scientifically based fetish.

I used to find things on sale at the WF that were decent deals. Now in a new area, I rarely see things I am willing to buy. So no, it has not become a more attractive option.

I suppose I would revisit if I ever had Amazon Prime and there seemed to be better deals.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm

I went into WF last week to get sandwich rolls and some cheese slices.

The rolls were $1 each. I rolled my eyes and picked up three of them.

Then I walked over to the sliced cheese, where 8-oz packages were $5.99-$6.99.

I left the cheese there and stopped at Trader Joe's instead. Got a nice 12-ounce package of colby-jack slices for $3.99.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm

the only one I noticed is the price of their rotisserie chickens. I think down $1 for the non-organic and maybe $2 for organic?

Otherwise their pizza actually cost more.

I shop there for the specialty stuff I can't get elsewhere. A few stores nearby are the only nearby stores of any kind where you can buy freshly roasted whole bean coffee by the quarter pound, and the price (at $12/lb for the most expensive) isn't bad either. I like to cook with chopped clams, and they are the only ones nearby that sells shucked clams from the U.S. (the ones at Wegmans are imported from China). Their cheese selection is also pretty decent, though I prefer what Fairway (a NJ/NY specialty food store) offers. Their dessert section is also amazingly good, better than what most supermarkets offer (with only Wegman's giving them a run for their money).

That said, they rarely have the lowest prices, although as mentioned above, their 365 branded items are pretty good values.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am

DW and I used to go to WF a few times a year. The closest one was on Roosevelt Rd in Chicago. We had a competition...who could spot the first shopper who seemed "happy". For the most part it was a store of thin shoppers pushing very small carts with limited groceries due to cost. Usually not many smiling happy faces.

Trader Joe - we go to the one on Wabash Ave in Chicago about 1x month. Wow, what a store. Love it. Wish we had one here in NW Indiana. Meanwhile, we use Costco 1x month, Aldi 2x month and the local brand (Stracks) as needed.

Preference:
1. TJ
2. Aldi
3. Costco
4. Local store

Whole foods is off the list.

ed

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am

MP173 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am
DW and I used to go to WF a few times a year. The closest one was on Roosevelt Rd in Chicago. We had a competition...who could spot the first shopper who seemed "happy". For the most part it was a store of thin shoppers pushing very small carts with limited groceries due to cost. Usually not many smiling happy faces.

Trader Joe - we go to the one on Wabash Ave in Chicago about 1x month. Wow, what a store. Love it. Wish we had one here in NW Indiana. Meanwhile, we use Costco 1x month, Aldi 2x month and the local brand (Stracks) as needed.

Preference:
1. TJ
2. Aldi
3. Costco
4. Local store

Whole foods is off the list.

ed
that's a bit too anecdotal; fwiw, I often see people spend $150-200 on stuff, and gladly too.

Personally i'm happy when i see the following (from various WF stores):

-really good pannetones
-ramen bowls made on-site
-fresh coffee roasted on-site (alluded above). this really makes me happy
-Peruvian chicken
-Gelato made on-site
-Cakeball and stroopwafel made on-site

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 am

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm
the only one I noticed is the price of their rotisserie chickens. I think down $1 for the non-organic and maybe $2 for organic?
This reminded me of this NPR story on why rotisserie chicken sometimes costs less than an uncooked one - basically this is an item where people really notice and remember the price:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018 ... d-for-more

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 am

02nz wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 am
InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm
This reminded me of this NPR story on why rotisserie chicken sometimes costs less than an uncooked one - basically this is an item where people really notice and remember the price:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018 ... d-for-more
Funny when you mentioned NPR, I immediately thought of a segment Kai Ryssdal et al. did. Seems like APM marketplace could should sue them for copyright infringement ;). I'd pay to watch separate public radio entities duke it out.

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/01/05/ ... en-tonight

Jest aside, I think rotisserie chicken is the one place where Whole Food provides value. I know i can get it for cheaper elsewhere (and have a heavier chicken as well), but those chickens just don't look right, even when they are putatively not treated with antibiotics. Too top heavy, which makes you wonder what sort of conditions they were raised in, not to mention I can take only so much chicken breast before they just taste life sawdust. The WF rotisserie chickens (even the non-organic ones) are smaller (2.25 lbs, cf. the 3 lbs chickens from most other places) and have a proportion much closer to what a healthy chicken would look like. Doesn't hurt that the WF chicken is herbed, too

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

WF has very good produce and it is not more expensive than standard supermarkets.
And the quality and variety is far better than other supermarkets.
That's my biggest food expense by far. And if you add the 5% off for the prime credit card and the 10% discounts for prime members on certain produce items, WF is actually a great bargain.
There is no Trader Joes around me, so I'm comparing to conventional supermarkets.
I also think the produce at WF is a lot better than Costco, which seems over-chilled and not sweet enough, and there is not much variety.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm

I don't buy many things in WF, but for nearly 10 years I've been buying their brand of Almond Milk for my kids weekly. The price went up twice over the the years to $3.99 per 64oz carton. After Amazon purchase, the price dropped to $2.99 per the carton. So, "any drop in prices"? Definately.

I believe some but not all products dropped in price, especially their own 365 Everyday Value brand products.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am
WF has very good produce and it is not more expensive than standard supermarkets.
Sorry, but have to disagree. Very good produce? Definately. But prices can be 1.5-2x of those in my local supremarket (Jewel) and I don't think anything is cheaper at all. I buy very little in WF as a result, though we have Amazon Fresh and my wife now orders from HW sometimesl through that program -- due to convenience mostly.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Helpful hint: if you want the wholefoods discount for prime members and don't want to bother with your smartphone,
go to amazon.com/primesavings and enter a phone number there.

(If you just go to whole foods and use the regular phone number that is listed with your amazon prime account (the "mobile number" in your profile), it won't be recognized. It asks you if you want to just copy the regular amazon prime account mobile phone number over to the primesavings side, which is what you need for the Whole Foods discount. This seems odd, but that's how they do it.

This 10% discount is on selected items in the store (a lot of them) and is in addition to the 5% discount you get with your Amazon Prime Visa credit card.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Well, not in the NY metro area. For instance, $3.99/pint blueberries at whole foods are $4.99 at 2 supermarkets here and the same $3.99 at the others. Peaches are $2.99-$3.99/pound at WF and are the same at the supermarkets.

And WF had like 8 types of peaches and were much better and were all American-grown, where the supermarket had mainly Costa Rican and other foreign sourced ones.

And when you add in the discounts, it's downright cheap.

So I don't know about Jewel/Osco, but 1.5-2x the price sounds nothing like what I see, unless blueberries under $3/pint.
And the WF ones are plump and sweet w/no wet or moldy ones.

Rainier cherries are only $4.99 at Whole foods and are $9.99 at Fresh Market and the other conventional supermarket here. Half price at WF!
I love those cherries. And they have them way more often.

And WF has great exotic things (in season) like Star Fruit other great produce treats you just don't see anywhere else. It's great.

I think this Whole Paycheck idea is way overblown.
A 1-quart greek yogurt I have always bought (Fage) is $5.99 on sale and $7.99 normally at all the supermarket around here, and is always $5.99 at whole
foods. My shopping bill is lower than usual at WF.

Prepared foods can get expensive, but that's true everywhere. And WF's prepared foods are no more than other deli counters.
Fresh fish is also reasonable at WF too.

I find if I am careful about what I get at whole foods, it's a true bargain store. Just my experience.

I do all the shopping and I'm very aware of prices, and that's what I have found.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Trader Joe's is almost always less expensive than Whole Foods. The exception is on some sale items at Whole Foods. A gallon of milk is also sometimes cheaper at Whole Foods but not by much and it is more expensive at other times. This is still true even after some prices were lowered after Amazon bought Whole Foods.

The big advantage where I live is that Trader Joe's is a lot easier to shop in. The Whole Foods stores are on multiple floors, are dark and cluttered, and have check out lines that don't move as quickly as the lines at Trader Joe's. The big advantage Whole Foods has is a much wider selection. However, Trader Joe's has all of the groceries that I buy on a regular basis and the limited selection makes shopping easier for me. It is necessary to buy some spices and specialty foods at other stores.

If you have an Aldi or Lidl, you might want to check those out if price is a concern.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm

No overall price drop from what I'm seeing.

Wf still equals whole paycheck.

jester14

Post by jester14 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

I personally haven't seen much in savings. We go to WF and Trader Joe's both 1-2 times a week.

After scanning the app, we save 40 cents here, 70 cents there. Not a big deal at all. Then again, we're not buying the rotisserie chicken and most of the sale stuff hasn't been that great. The organic raspberries we're nice the other day though, pulled the trigger on those.

Just took another pass at the app. The only thing we would buy would be salmon, but we can get wild caught salmon at TJs for cheaper.

The one thing that's a really good buy at WF is the large bucket of spinach for $5. We use it in everything - salad, eggs, pasta, sandwiches, smoothies, etc.

95% of the time, for the groceries we buy (organic where possible), Trader Joe's wins hands down. WF wins on specialty items (better quality bars, gluten free oatmeal, better peanut butter).

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:13 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Lol... WF ain't that bad. Groceries are super cheap in the US.

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

Looking at ALDI vs WF prices online right now Whole Foods is still well over double the price for chicken breasts/thighs, onions, milk, etc etc. And that's even comparing WF's lower priced "conventional" food instead of the crazy expensive nonsense organic/non-GMO stuff.

So yeah, still not shopping there.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am

At least at the Aldi's here, most of their fresh meat is "enhanced" with solution. Sometimes up to 12%, which is ludicrous. Their ground beef is fine, and some of the vacuum-packed beef is solution-free as well. I mostly buy my meat at the supermarket when it's on sale.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am
At least at the Aldi's here, most of their fresh meat is "enhanced" with solution. Sometimes up to 12%, which is ludicrous. Their ground beef is fine, and some of the vacuum-packed beef is solution-free as well. I mostly buy my meat at the supermarket when it's on sale.
I went into a Aldi's and left buing nothing. The low quality of meat made me realize I will keep shopping at Publix. I also believe shopping at Pubix, Whole Foods or Trader Joes depends on how far you must drive. Driving past multiple stores does not make sense. Time to important. So, if I paid 25 cents more for my ketchup (so what).

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Agggm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:13 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Lol... WF ain't that bad. Groceries are super cheap in the US.
True based on what I have seen in Europe. Produce is often consistently better than the US.

If you are not an organic fanatic, WF prices are usually much more, with only rare bargains. Quality (which I define as taste + yield) is sometimes but not consistently better at a higher price point.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am
Personally i'm happy when i see the following (from various WF stores):

-really good pannetones
-ramen bowls made on-site
-fresh coffee roasted on-site (alluded above). this really makes me happy
-Peruvian chicken
-Gelato made on-site
-Cakeball and stroopwafel made on-site
I don't shop at WF (nearest one not close by and even it it were, I'm not sure I'm their target market -- organic is so so and bring on the GMOs), but Peruvian chicken sounds good. Never had it, kind of like avocado toast, I assume it's a trendy new thing. I don't suppose the chicken come from Peru, but it's cooked in that style. Anyway, I googled and found more Peruvian restaurants around me than I had expected, and many well rated on Yelp. Add that to my list of things to try. Thanks!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am
I went into a Aldi's and left buing nothing. The low quality of meat made me realize I will keep shopping at Publix. I also believe shopping at Pubix, Whole Foods or Trader Joes depends on how far you must drive. Driving past multiple stores does not make sense. Time to important. So, if I paid 25 cents more for my ketchup (so what).
I shop at Aldi all the time. I will agree on the meats though. I rarely buy meat there. I did pick up some butterflied leg of lamb a few weeks ago and they were good and reasonable. I prefer my meats not be injected with a solution, but I find it is pretty common. I bought pork tenderloin at Mariano's the other day. It said "All Natural" and when I got home I noticed that it was injected with a solution (natural I guess, but petroleum and uranium are natural).

I buy things like milk, eggs, Greek Yogurt, sugar, flour, cheese, some veggies, crackers, hummus, etc. at Aldi and find them to be good. I like the take and bake breads a lot.

Whole Foods I find to be way too expensive. If I am going to buy Halibut at $23 a pound, I'd rather go out to eat and order it. I shop mostly at Aldi, Costco and Jewel. Occasionally I'll hit Mariano's or Tony's. I find Target and Walmart to not be cheap (but I guess if you don't shop sales at other stores, they might be okay).

five2one

Post by five2one » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm

We don't even bother with those stores as costco saves us enough money that I bought a freezer with the savings to stock up.
I also bought a backup generator so I don't lose $$$$$ when the power goes out; I have used it 3x in past year, very handy.

clast

Post by clast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:47 pm

I noticed last time I was at Whole Foods that they have those yellow "10% off prime" signs all over the store, like on every part of every aisle. However, apparently the sign just means that "somewhere within 20 feet of this sign, there is probably an item on sale". If the sign just happens to be in front of an item, that item is not necessarily on sale. Pretty misleading, and probably better to just ignore the yellow signs when deciding whether to buy something.