Honda Accord Maintenance at 3 Years - Am I Getting Hosed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Honda Accord Maintenance at 3 Years - Am I Getting Hosed?

Post by DarkHelmetII »

I am having the below services down on my 2015 Honda Accord purchased new in August 2015. Until now I have only had oil changes done. Any insight on a) likelihood these services are actually needed, and b) reasonableness of costs. I live in Washington, DC area so probably higher than average cost of living. Brought car in for oil charge and said these other things were required. I okayed the work because in past they've not seemed to try and up-sell / cross-sell me on unnecessary services, but still having nagging voice in head may be getting hosed here.

Work is being done at a Honda dealer. About 8,000 miles mostly city. Parked outside.

brake fluid dirty: $169.95
engine air filter dirty: $57
a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99
tires rotation: $27.95
alignment - tires wearing on outside $129
$49.95 oil change
--> Total $533.84

If they've rooked me too late on this one, but in that case will use as lesson learned for future maintenance.
Rupert

Re: Honda Accord Maintenance at 3 Years - Am I Getting Hosed?

Post by Rupert »

Do you have any idea how easy it is to change your own cabin and engine air filters? Order the filters on Amazon, which has a nice feature that will help you make sure to order the correct filters and then store that information for you for future reference. Those filters should cost no more than $20 each. You can change the engine air filter in about 5 minutes. You only need a flat head screwdriver to do it. The cabin air filter may take you twice that amount of time the first time you do it. There are instructions in your owner's manual. So, yes, it is highway robbery for a dealer to charge you $160 to change those two filters.

The rest of those charges are not highway robbery, although you might be able to get the alignment and brake fluid changed for less at an independent. It's likely that all that work did need to be done at 3 years old. Brake fluid usually has to be changed every 2 to 3 years regardless of mileage. The rest is just normal maintenance stuff. Make sure you buy your next set of tires at a place that includes free lifetime rotation in the price of the tires.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

The car has been driven only 8,000 miles in three years?
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Engine and cabin filters are a rip off.

Learn to DYI those two.

Cabin filter. Open glovebox. Press in sides of glovebox. It will drop down. Look for the cabin filter. Pull out old. Insert new. 10 minutes or less and the filter is $20 +/-

Engine filter. Open hood. Unscrew or disengage the cabin filter cover. Lift up (may require some finagling and just set to the side). Pull out old. Insert new. Put cover back on.

Youtube both.

I actually put in K&N engine filters and then before inspections I put in a clean cabin filter, if necessary. When I get home I might put the “old” one back in and save the new one for later. That is how easy it is to change.

If they ask I tell them I bought the special tool to change the cabin filter. Smirk.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am
Work is being done at a Honda dealer. About 8,000 miles mostly city. Parked outside.

brake fluid dirty: $169.95 I change my own once a year
engine air filter dirty: $57 Ask to see it. This is a 30k mile kind of interval....not time dependent
a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99 Really? Have them show you the dirty one. I've never changed a cabin filter....ever
tires rotation: $27.95 At 8k miles? No
alignment - tires wearing on outside $129 Look at the tires or buy a 75 cent tire gauge. If they are wearing unevenly, you've got something majorly wrong at 8k miles. Ask to see the "before" readings and the "after" readings.
$49.95 oil change For synthetic, that's not bad.
--> Total $533.84
Overall, it's not horrible. There's no "flush tranny/flush oil/flush your money down the toilet" services that are NEVER necessary. Nothing they did will hurt your car, so there's that. The easy check is to walk to the glove box, take out the maintenance manual and ask the service writer to point to each service. If it's too soon or not listed, just say no.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just fyi: Never -- NEVER -- let a mechanic mechanically flush a Honda transmission or power steering system. Read your owner's manual. It's all in there.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Yes, you are getting hosed. The air filters are much cheaper elsewhere, like Walmart or on-line. I do not like the upselling that dealers do. I think air filters and cabin air filters are two of the biggies they try to sell a person on.

With 8,000 miles, I hardly doubt your brake fluid would be dirty. And why would you need a tire rotation and alignment at 8,000 miles. Makes no sense.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

These are likely the only services you should have had performed:
$49.95 oil change
--> Total $77.90
string3599

Post by string3599 »

I agree with the previous posters on the filters, very easy to do yourself and much cheaper.

Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 3 years but I pay about $90 at my Honda dealer in the Midwest. Also the regular price of an oil at my dealer is $34.95 but they usually send me coupons for $19.95.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

OP, you're getting some sketchy advice from prior posters on the brake fluid. Again, read your manual. Honda recommends replacing brake fluid based on time, not mileage. So it doesn't matter one whit that your car only had 8K miles on it. It should be replaced every 2 or 3 years (check your manual for which interval actually applies to your car). Also, you can't get an oil change using synthetic oil for $20. The oil itself costs more than that. $50 is about the going rate for a change using synthetic oil. I actually overlooked the fact that your car only has 8K miles on it when I read your original post. So the prior posters are right that your tires didn't need to be rotated. That makes me question the dealer's advice that you needed an alignment as well. Yeah, unfortunately, you may have been fleeced. I can't say it enough -- Read your manual and follow its guidance. Some maintenance must be done based on mileage, and some maintenance must be done based on age.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am Work is being done at a Honda dealer.
Because you did this, I can guarantee you are getting "hosed". Find an independent shop.
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am If they've rooked me too late on this one, but in that case will use as lesson learned for future maintenance.
Why is it too late. Can't you call them and say don't do the filters?

brake fluid dirty: $169.95 - This is a little pricey, but it is called for in the manual at every three years.
engine air filter dirty: $57 - Probably was not necessary until about 15k miles.
a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99 - This filter is too hard to get to just to look and tell you it is dirty. They just made that up because it could not be dirty that soon. Call them and stop them.
alignment - tires wearing on outside $129 - Hard to say if necessary, but you do need to keep them properly inflated.
$49.95 oil change - That's a good deal. And it must be synthetic and you might want to do that every year or so since your usage is so low that you should not do it based on mileage.

In the future, watch out for their 15k, 30k, etc., service packages. All they do is mostly look at things, and charge you a ton. Go a la carte, and just have the oil changed, the trans fluid drained and filled (NEVER flushed), brake fluid flushed every three years, and that is about all.

Also, before going in, use a flashlight and look through your wheels at your brake pads for thickness. They will say you need new pads when they have thousands of miles left. AND, they will not just replace the $60 pads (for each axle, so $120 or so for all four wheels), they require new pads and grinding the rotors (totally unnecessary) and charge you about $300 plus per axle. That is a terrible deal even if they say it includes free pads for life.
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. If I may summarize: a) hosed on the filters if I am otherwise willing to do that myself, b) everything else a little pricey though not as obviously getting hosed. Why was it "too late" ... well I wrote this post about 10 minutes before they finished the work!

Also, just checked mileage we're at 9600. Yes very low for 3 years. Used for 5 mile round trip daily commute and occasional medium distance trips out of town (we fly for anything long distance).
Last edited by DarkHelmetII on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Run away and never go back to these crooks. Use YouTube and you can do many things yourself with a few cheap tools.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Is this your first oil change? Not changing the oil for 3 years may not be the best idea - particularly since your car may not be not getting up to full operating temperature on your short trips. I try to go every 12 months which is about 6K for me.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I'd say that's what dealers in HCOL areas charge. I also live in a HCOL area (Long Island), and your charges a just a bit higher than the Subaru dealer would charge for the same services. The dealer sent me a flyer for upcoming 3 year service and the charge was $441. By all means, as others have said, learn to do the cabin & engine air filters yourself. If you just don't want to get your hands dirty, find a local shop (ask your neighbors), the cost should be much lower.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Yes, you got hosed. Lesson learned for the future?

1. Open your owners manual. Probably the most important lesson of all - it will tell you what needs to be done and when. Do not ever rely on dealer to tell that - it's their job to up-sell and overcharge. They love customers like you, do not give them another chance to fleece you.

2. Air filter and cabin filter is DIY. Watch YT videos if you don't want to open manual. In fact, cabin filter access on Accord is so easy that you can check how dirty it is in less than 15 seconds. Generally, once a year is good enough guideline unless you live in very dusty environment. About $5-$10 on Amazon. Air filter around $15, once per year, though you can extend with your very low mileage to 2 years.

3. Alignment was likely unnecessary at 8K miles, and if there is a problem with tires or suspension, and you are still under warranty, you should have asked to fix it for free. Generally, going forward, I would advise you to give Discount Tire $50 when you buy a new car, and they will in turn warranty your tires as if you bought them from DT, and will do lifetime rotations and balancing for free. Way better deal than paying dealer to rotate tires.

4. Brake fluid - every 3 years irregardless of mileage. The price seems high, but then I DIY everything so not really familiar with retail prices. Same for oil change. I would advise finding reputable local shop and get it done there if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

5. Only visit dealer to fix problems under warranty, or for recalls.

Hope this helps, and good luck, that Accord should last you 20 years if you maintain it properly.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I'm not a mechanic so take this for what it's worth...I buy relatively inexpensive, new, cars and every one of them have been driven 200,000+ miles with the only maintenance being oil and filters. And the maintenance is diy. I add brake fluid when I bleed the brakes after brake jobs and I have new tires put on sometimes only two at a time because I never rotate them. Sometimes I feel guilty about not ever throwing in new spark plugs and so I do that. Don't know if any of the other, normal maintenance would give me 300,000+ miles or more but I find that so many other little things start breaking on the car (eg. handles, knobs, electrical, etc.) that it's just time after a decade and a half to get another car. I was once told that transmission fluid and brake fluid are closed systems and kept separate from the dirty combustion areas and so there shouldn't be any reason to change them. Same with coolant. Don't know if this is true or not but in my experience (I'm 58) it's worked out.
My two cents.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Definitely you are getting hosed. Service writer should have been wearing a mask and holding a gun giving you that service invoice.

brake fluid dirty: $169.95 - Brake fluid should be changed out every 3 years, and it is best to have the dealer do it - typical cost is $100-120 -to get a better price, call around beforehand to other Honda dealers, and ask for a discount or their best price to earn your business next time.
engine air filter dirty: $57 - total ripoff - buy filters online and install yourself - cost $20
a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99 - even bigger ripoff- buy filters online and install yourself - cost $20
tires rotation: $27.95 - rotate tires every 5k miles - usually cheaper elsewhere - try discount tire.
alignment - tires wearing on outside $129 - tires wearing on the outside at your mileage may just be from running tires underinflated. Alignment is best done by dealer and $129 is reasonable for a 4 wheel alignment. There should be zero need for alignment at 8k total miles unless you ran into something. If 2 or all 4 tires show same wear pattern then alignment was likely off/bad when car was delivered.
$49.95 oil change - $50 would be pretty good for a full synthetic oil change, but I bet they used a cheaper blend or straight dino.

At a minimum, learn to change oil and filters yourself - you car will cost you a lot less and you will learn more aboiut your car and also to recognize other issues as they come up and before they are critical.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ged

Post by Ged »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am
Any insight on a) likelihood these services are actually needed, and b) reasonableness of costs.

$49.95 oil change
--> Total $533.84
These are all standard maintenance items that I would think you would want to do. This is normal dealer pricing. You could get a better price at an independent shop.

Some of these things can be done easily on your own using parts from Amazon and a video from Youtube. Engine air filter, cabin air filter are screwdriver 10 minute operations. Definitely $120 easy money saved for little effort.

Oil change is a bit more involved - you need a couple of wrenches and a pan to catch the old oil, and a trip to a recycling center to dispose of the old oil. You can easily save half the cost once you have the tools.

Tire rotation is a physical job. Depends on how ambitious you are but there is no parts cost only owning the tools to do it.

Brake fluid is something I would rather leave to a mechanic although I have done it myself in the past. While you may get away with not doing it every 3 years it isn't worth the risk given how important good brakes are.

Alignment requires expensive equipment. Definitely do it if tires are showing uneven wear. If tires are showing normal even wear it is probably not needed. Since your car has such low mileage you should ask the dealer about warranty coverage on this. I doubt you will get it since warranties don't usually cover alignment but who knows.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

+1 I'd buy cabin and air filters from Amazon or Walmart and do it myself.

If you are a Costco member, I find their 15% off dealer parts and service program to be good (you have to sign up for it in Costco website). I usually go to the dealer only for brake fluid change or say transmission fluid change and would do it ONLY per recommendation by the manufacturer.

Watch out next time.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Cabin air filter costs $15ish. Located behind glovebox. Squeeze in sides of glove box and it will swing down out of the way exposing the filter. Easy as pie. Takes 5 mins
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

What does the maintenance schedule say? For maintenance items, you should follow the manufacturer recommendations, not what the salesman you talk to at the dealer service counter says. Know this before you go and refer to it as you're being sold to.

The price for everything you listed is too high. You probably won't get it cheaper from the dealer, but you can do it yourself or find a reasonably priced shop.

A car with 8k should not need an alignment unless it has been damaged (e.g. from a collision or from road hazards) or it is defective. Which one is it?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

You got hosed, sorry. Google YouTube video - how to change air filter and compartment air filter. I would have just changed the oil filter and called it a day.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Housedoc wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 am Run away and never go back to these crooks. Use YouTube and you can do many things yourself with a few cheap tools.
They call them stealerships for a reason. The easy maintenance jobs can be outsourced to a good independent shop for at least 30% off if not more.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
squirm

Post by squirm »

Ac cabin filter, $100???? That's hilarious!!! It's takes literally no more than 3 minutes to replace it. All you have to do is drop the glove box which is easy.
You're getting taken to the cleaners.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 am Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. If I may summarize: a) hosed on the filters if I am otherwise willing to do that myself, b) everything else a little pricey though not as obviously getting hosed. Why was it "too late" ... well I wrote this post about 10 minutes before they finished the work!

Also, just checked mileage we're at 9600. Yes very low for 3 years. Used for 5 mile round trip daily commute and occasional medium distance trips out of town (we fly for anything long distance).
Your type of driving is about the most severe you can do with a vehicle (5 mile round trips do not let the fluids warm up, will get condensation in the oil etc. that will not evaporate off). I won't comment on whether or not your dealer is hosing you, or whether the air/cabin filters are something you wish to do yourself, but you might want to ask the dealer, or an indy, what service would be appropriate at what frequency for your type driving.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am I am having the below services down on my 2015 Honda Accord purchased new in August 2015. Until now I have only had oil changes done. Any insight on a) likelihood these services are actually needed, and b) reasonableness of costs. I live in Washington, DC area so probably higher than average cost of living. Brought car in for oil charge and said these other things were required. I okayed the work because in past they've not seemed to try and up-sell / cross-sell me on unnecessary services, but still having nagging voice in head may be getting hosed here.

brake fluid dirty: $169.95 -- Independent mechanic might do it for less money.
engine air filter dirty: $57 -- Independent mechanic might do it for less money.
a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99 -- Mine cost like $25 at an independent mechanic.
tires rotation: $27.95 -- I hardly ever have this done, but fine.
alignment - tires wearing on outside $129 -- Independent mechanic might do it for less money.
$49.95 oil change -- I wouldn't pay more than $35 for an oil change.
--> Total $533.84

I never, ever take my car to the dealer unless I am getting a free service that is necessary (such as oil change early on in the life of the car). Yes, you're getting hosed, in my estimation, to the tune of at least $200.

If they've rooked me too late on this one, but in that case will use as lesson learned for future maintenance.
Last edited by 3funder on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

xerxes101 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 pm +1 I'd buy cabin and air filters from Amazon or Walmart and do it myself.

If you are a Costco member, I find their 15% off dealer parts and service program to be good (you have to sign up for it in Costco website). I usually go to the dealer only for brake fluid change or say transmission fluid change and would do it ONLY per recommendation by the manufacturer.

Watch out next time.
I've found that bluntly asking the dealership for a 20% discount also helps. Them usually counter and we settle on 15%.

Also, whenever you buy a new or CPO car, ask the dealer to throw in 4 oil changes for free.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

As suggested by others, some items are very easy to replace such as engine and cabin air filters. A good online site for auto parts is Rockauto, https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda. This place is also recommended by Cartalk hosts. They also recommend to follow the service schedule by the car manufacturer, not by a service place.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I don't know anything about Hondas but we have to be careful about generalizing - for some cars changing some filters is like brain surgery, just with less fatal consequences for mistakes.

As for brake fluid probably most twenty-year-old cars still have their original brake fluid but as far as I know you do need a machine to change it - to move the various valves in the ABS to empty all the chambers. The old d-i-y vacuum pump won't get the job done today.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Fletch wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm
DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 am Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. If I may summarize: a) hosed on the filters if I am otherwise willing to do that myself, b) everything else a little pricey though not as obviously getting hosed. Why was it "too late" ... well I wrote this post about 10 minutes before they finished the work!

Your type of driving is about the most severe you can do with a vehicle (5 mile round trips do not let the fluids warm up, will get condensation in the oil etc. that will not evaporate off). I won't comment on whether or not your dealer is hosing you, or whether the air/cabin filters are something you wish to do yourself, but you might want to ask the dealer, or an indy, what service would be appropriate at what frequency for your type driving.
Instead of changing oil at 7,500 miles change it at 3,750 or 4,000 miles. Modern oils are a lot tougher than you think.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I forgot to mention.......

Dealer service writers are typically paid commissions on all services written. Need nothing but an oil change? That doesn't pay him all that well. How about some random filters, some fluids changed and maybe change the blinker fluid?

You do have to watch out for yourself. If you question the service writer in a confident manner on the first bogus thing they recommend, they typically knock it off. But if you act like you don't have a clue, they're going to be calculating their cut of your service payment.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

fundseeker wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 ama/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99 - This filter is too hard to get to just to look and tell you it is dirty. They just made that up because it could not be dirty that soon. Call them and stop them.
$15 and 5 minutes - total rip off!

https://www.amazon.com/CF10134-Fresh-Br ... 0010E00T6/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMztuddTg0

If the "brake fluid dirty" and "tires wearing on outside" are really true, you've got bigger problems that won't be fixed by simply fixing the symptoms.
Longruninvestor

Post by Longruninvestor »

I also have a gen 9 (2013-2017) Honda Accord and my family fleet also includes a Honda Odyssey and CRV. Over the years I've made extensive use of a Honda dealership for service, but there's no doubt I pay a premium for service there. As with most things it's up to the individual to determine if the value received is commensurate with the price. I look at the price/value equation this way:

On the price side of things the Honda dealership I patronize charges roughly 30% more than an independent. I figure the premium goes for this:
  • Honda mechanics are paid more.
  • Honda's overhead rate is higher: Massive service area with top of the line tools, service attendants buzzing around everywhere, incoming cars are triaged immediately, car wash facility (free with repair),customer waiting room with free WiFi, coffee & snacks, comfortable seating area.
  • Honda profit margin is higher.
What's the value to me?
  • I don't have to worry that Honda is going to screw up a repair on their own vehicle and they can give me the best advice possible on whether something can wait of if there's a safety concern.
  • Yeah, I pay a premium for the service but I know what that is and I have confidence that they aren't ripping me off. I figure the % of dishonest independent auto mechanics is roughly the same as the % of dishonest financial advisors. Honda has never tried to sell me service I didn't need.
  • Honda is a one- stop shop (body work, tires, oil changes, timing belts, filters whatever) and my time is worth something.
  • If I have repair that is going to take some time they have a free shuttle service to take me back and forth from the dealership to wherever I want.
  • Their customer service attitude is second to none and I appreciate being treated well --I'm willing to pay for good service.
So yes, I believe an argument can be made that Honda service is worth the premium. That being said, I do all my own maintenance including synthetic oil changes and tire rotations every 5000 miles, annual air and cabin filters changes, spark plugs at 80k and Honda OEM windshield wiper refills when needed. Every three years I change brake fluid using a hand vacuum pump and swap the old coolant for fresh Prestone. Every 40,0000 miles I do a 3x drain and fill of the transmission. I've grown comfortable changing brake pads and rotors. I enjoy working in my garage and vehicle service is recreation for me. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. My obsessive compulsive maintenance schedule has paid dividends. The family Odyssey has 300,000 miles on it and still drives like a new vehicle. I leave things like timing belt service, air conditioning, wheel bearings and suspension work to the pros. 5 years ago I found a marvelous independent auto mechanic 5 miles from my home with impeccable credentials and a real focus on customer service. This shop has a superior value proposition and I now only visit the Honda service department for recalls.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:49 am Yes, you are getting hosed. The air filters are much cheaper elsewhere, like Walmart or on-line. I do not like the upselling that dealers do. I think air filters and cabin air filters are two of the biggies they try to sell a person on.

With 8,000 miles, I hardly doubt your brake fluid would be dirty. And why would you need a tire rotation and alignment at 8,000 miles. Makes no sense.
Brake fluid goes bad with time, even if never driven. It darkens as it absorbs moisture from the air. 2 to 3 years is the standard interval regardless of mileage so that service was needed.

The air filters are a massive ripoff. Neither is likely needed yet, and the cabin filter is not a 10 minute job, it’s a 2 minute job!

Tire rotation is due if it’s never been done before and the price quoted for that is reasonable,
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

If your brake fluid is dark, that’s understandable. If it’s actually dirty then I suspect you have another issue. The thought behind changing your brake fluid every two years stems from the fluid absorbing moisture (water) which lowers the fluids boiling point. If the fluid gets hot enough and boils you’ll have soft brakes, or in extreme cases no brakes. This is more prevalent in high humidity environments and on vehicles that see track use or are subject to sustained heavy brake loads. Think towing.

While I tend to get my fluid changed every couple of years, I’ve owned modern vehicles where this maintenance piece wasn’t perforemed for the life of the vehicle. I owned a 3/4 ton diesel pickup that saw a fair amount of heavy towing, and aggressive driving when unloaded. Six years and 130k miles later it was on its original fluid, without issues. I also live in the desert, so no humidity, but plenty of high temps.

To your concern, the costs do not seem that our of line. You can save a few bucks doing this work yourself, especially filter changes, but overall if your paying someone else to do the work the cost doesn’t seem that steep. And brake fluid, new or old, is a nasty substance that loves to eat paint and other finishes.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am I am having the below services down on my 2015 Honda Accord purchased new in August 2015. Until now I have only had oil changes done. Any insight on a) likelihood these services are actually needed, and b) reasonableness of costs. I live in Washington, DC area so probably higher than average cost of living. Brought car in for oil charge and said these other things were required. I okayed the work because in past they've not seemed to try and up-sell / cross-sell me on unnecessary services, but still having nagging voice in head may be getting hosed here.

$49.95 oil change
--> Total $533.84

yes you are hosed. your 1 and only mistake started with the dealer....
an accord cabin filter costs 15-20 at napa auto. and takes 4 min to install. 100!!!!!!!!!!! wow
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

PFInterest wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:06 pm

$49.95 oil change
--> Total $533.84

yes you are hosed. your 1 and only mistake started with the dealer....
an accord cabin filter costs 15-20 at napa auto. and takes 4 min to install. 100!!!!!!!!!!! wow
Takes about 5 minutes to change the cabin air filter.

So, if you let them over charge you for the filter.. perhaps they charges 40 dollars for that, they then charged you about 59.00 dollars for 5 minutes of their time... only about 708.00 per hour. (and it was done by someone who likely is not the mechanic... because it is so easy.
AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn »

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

I disagree with many of the other posters. You were not hosed. You got charged what a dealer charges you for these services. The dealer has to pay rent, pay salaries/benefits, buy specialized equipment, can charge a premium for being an official Honda shop, etc. For their overhead and specialty, they charged fair market price for the service. Could you do this service (or some of it) for cheaper, yes, but that's not a fair assessment of "hosed." If something is user serviceable and you value your time at zero, it will always be cheaper to do the work yourself, so you can't make that comparison. First, you ask if you want to do it yourself or pay to have it done. Second, if you've decided to have it done by a pro, you assess if she's charging you fairly against an equivalent service. If you want to know if you were hosed or not, call another Honda dealership and ask them their pricing for the same service.
mxs

Post by mxs »

Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have never changed brake fluid on the three cars that I have owned for a total time of 17 years. Maybe the Accord is different, or Honda's suggestions are different, but I just haven't had issues with that in my past. I do change oil, filters, and brakes myself. I had a friend help me change wheel hubs. And I have changed accessory belts, pulleys, and an ac clutch pulley. I have done a few more minor things on top of those, but never have and never have needed to change brake fluid.

BTW cabin air filter wasn't really needed to be changed. Lots of vehicles don't even have a filter for that. And the engine filter change wasn't needed either, not enough miles to worry about that. You got sold two things at high prices that you really didn't need. I doubt you needed an alignment, and rotating your tires was done a little early but that was probably the most borderline item. Oil change you needed.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I’m a little late, but the tire rotation is a good deal.

The manual may say that your brake fluid needs to be changed based on time, but if it’s "dirty" you may have a problem. I doubt it’s dirty.

I think you are getting taken advantage of on some of this stuff, but it could be worse.

Don’t take it to the dealer anymore.

JT
NoHeat

Post by NoHeat »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99
For some cars, you can do this yourself, not for $20 as some have mentioned, but as little as $0.50. Buy a pleated furnace filter for about $3, and use scissors to cut it into smaller ones. This works if the factory filter has a thickness that’s close to the one-inch thickness of furnace filters, as it is in our Sienna. It’s not crucial to achieve a perfect fit.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

NoHeat wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm
DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 am a/c cabin filter dirty: $99.99
For some cars, you can do this yourself, not for $20 as some have mentioned, but as little as $0.50. Buy a pleated furnace filter for about $3, and use scissors to cut it into smaller ones. This works if the factory filter has a thickness that’s close to the one-inch thickness of furnace filters, as it is in our Sienna. It’s not crucial to achieve a perfect fit.
Well you can probably just leave the filter out entirely too, since many cars don't have any place for a filter, but really, having to manufacture your own filter (many filters really won't work without a "frame") is probably not the best use of time for most people.
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

The work they are recommending seems reasonable, prices are a bit high. It literally takes 5 minutes to change both filters combined and you can get them ~10 off amazon. No tools required. I doubt the alignment/rotation is a scam. If you hit a bunch of pot holes over the course of 3 years it's probably slightly out of alignment.

Dealer prices are usually a bit higher, but at least in my area I feel they are more honest and don't reccomend random and inappropriate things.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

These prices are beefed up for labor charges, try DIY if you can. Recently had a rear light assembly changed for $500!! Light itself was ~$300 and got hosed for $200 in labor. I tried to do it myself but needed to remove fender. THEY ARE IN THE BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY....pure and simple.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

The cabin filter is $8 at Autozone and similar locations or $6 for a 'genuine' Honda cabin filter on amazon.
Replacement is less than 3 minutes with no tools required as the filter is behind the glove box.
There are a few U-tube vidoes on how to do these - just google "2013 Honda accord cabin filter replacement"

FWIW - afer 3 years and that mileage it is likely to come out mostly clean just like the engine filter which takes about twice as long and is priced about twice as much as the cabin filter.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Longruninvestor wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm I look at the price/value equation this way:

On the price side of things the Honda dealership I patronize charges roughly 30% more than an independent. I figure the premium goes for this:
  • Honda mechanics are paid more.
  • Honda's overhead rate is higher: Massive service area with top of the line tools, service attendants buzzing around everywhere, incoming cars are triaged immediately, car wash facility (free with repair),customer waiting room with free WiFi, coffee & snacks, comfortable seating area.
My kids Scout Master has worked as several different dealerships and now owns his own shop. From your list this is the only one that is correct
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin