Which advanced tech is necessary in cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ronteller11

Which advanced tech is necessary in cars?

Post by ronteller11 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:44 am

I’m mostly referring to safety features like lane departure warning, automatic braking, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc. Anyone have these features and have really been grateful that they have them?

Also, anyone have experience with CarPlay? Is it worth it or better off just mounting your phone to the dash?

It can be a challenge deciding between these things and just going with a 2005 Corolla like people suggest.

Daryl

Re: Which advanced tech is necessary in cars?

Post by Daryl » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:00 am

Ultimately, "necessary advanced tech" can only be determined after an accident that would have been otherwise prevented :oops:

My 2017 Honda Civic has almost all of the safety features mentioned below (missing blind spot monitoring). Did I buy this car just to get that tech? No! Rather, I consider it part of my civic duty to replace my car once a decade. Based on my insurance premiums, it is doubtful that they (safety features) have a meaningful impact on claims, and all this technology clearly increases the cost of repairs! Some of these are convenient, like lane keep assist/adaptive cruise control. I'm glad I have them.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 am

None are necessary.

Some are desirable.

Many are just a pain in the @ss and one more thing to break down.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 am

Despite maker's marketing efforts and media hype automated AI style safety tech in cars is still very primitive at this point. If possible hold off for a few years and stay with the older car. Every year for next few years safety tech is going to get more capable and robust similar to the years when PCs were making serious improvements in performance every year.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldSport

Post by OldSport » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 am

ronteller11 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:44 am
I’m mostly referring to safety features like lane departure warning, automatic braking, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc. Anyone have these features and have really been grateful that they have them?

Also, anyone have experience with CarPlay? Is it worth it or better off just mounting your phone to the dash?

It can be a challenge deciding between these things and just going with a 2005 Corolla like people suggest.
It depends on your commute. If you have a short local no or mininal highway commute and view vehicles as utilitarian transportation, then the Corolla is fine.

If you like driving and can comfortably afford it, get something nicer.

With the safety Tech, Honda by far makes the best driver assistance features in 'affordable' cars.

I once had a terrible mostly highway commute and was frequently fatigued. I bought a Honda Accord with Honda Sensing, and that helped reduce fatigue and was worth it. The car practically drove itself.

My current commute is much better, but it is mostly rush hour stop and go, and Honda Sensing does nothing for that.

So, if you can comfortably afford it, I'd say features like blind spot monitoring are helpful, and Honda Sensing is better than any other mainstream vehicle driver assist system out there, but only useful for highway drives above 45 mph.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:33 am

My Hyundai's adaptive cruise control is great and I tell folks it is a must have in a new car. The blind spot, lane departure and auto emergency braking are nice and I'll buy them as well on my next car.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:07 am

Apart from most standard safety features I would personally never buy a car without

- Backup camera
- Blind spot warning/monitoring
- Adaptive Cruise control

Above three have made it safer and convenient to drive cars we have.

Depending how effective it is, I would also recommend lane departure warning or lane keep assist. This is not a must, but it does help if you ever get distracted while driving.

Postmon

Post by Postmon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am

I have blind spot monitoring on one of my vehicles. The one negative I've noticed is I've become too dependent on it. When I drive a vehicle without it, every so often I find myself changing lanes without doing as good a blind spot check as I should.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 am

Necessary? I'd say none of that. Those are all "wants".

My top safety picks:

Seat belts.
air bags.

/thread
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 am

I view advanced tech in vehicles like this. As I am getting older I know my senses and reaction time will start to diminish, so anything to assist me to know there is another vehicle in a blind spot, stay in my lane ( falling asleep at the wheel alarm!) , brake earlier, etc ..will help keep me a little safer and hopefully, and more importantly, others on the road.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27 am

A cell phone jammer would probably save more lives than most of the new technology. I do like the rear camera in my wife's new Camry. The rest of the stuff is distracting for a casual driver. I suppose if I drove the car regularly I'd get used to it but for now I shut it all down since I rarely drive the car.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:53 am

OldSport wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 am

...With the safety Tech, Honda by far makes the best driver assistance features in 'affordable' cars...
That is certainly a matter of opinion. As of about a year ago, the on-line reviews (and the DOT tests) had Subaru as the best automatic braking system, which is why I bought one.

I love it and it has a lot of value to me. Have had a few situations where it stopped the car before I could, but nothing where I felt it would have been an accident without it, since I was getting ready to brake.

Adaptive cruise control is very, very nice, also.

All in all, definitely worth having in a new car.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 am

Those are mostly gimmicks and crutches for inattentive drivers. I'm not aware of any figures which indicate they make anyone safer. You are better off paying attention to avoid collisions and lane incursions. Wear your seat belt. Don't drive after dark and limit time at the wheel to the bare minimum.

BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 am

Backup camera is the only “must for me”

This auto brake/“sensing”/“lanewatch” nonsense is a joke in my opinion.

I don’t need an “alert” that someone is braking in front of me - that’s why we have rear brake lights. They go on, I slow down. I don’t need an alert that I’ve drifted from my lane - I watch the road and adjust accordingly.

I feel like all of these “advancements” are meant for those who can’t put their cellphones down even when driving. I get in my car, my car connects to my phone, I press play on music/podcast and my phone goes in the console.

Any good driver who actually pays attention to the road does not “need” these advancements. Quite frankly, I don’t feel comfortable letting my car do the driving and don’t trust any of the current technology. I actually opted for the model without these “advancements” in my recently purchased vehicle - in 5-10 years when I want a new one, maybe the tech will have improved enough to consider.

This new tech translates to unnecessary and more potential things to breakdown/cause problems in my mind. Hopefully when it’s time for a new car this tech has been improved significantly - or they toss it aside for the next gimmick.

BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 am

jebmke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27 am
A cell phone jammer would probably save more lives than most of the new technology. I do like the rear camera in my wife's new Camry. The rest of the stuff is distracting for a casual driver. I suppose if I drove the car regularly I'd get used to it but for now I shut it all down since I rarely drive the car.
Yes ... if I’m the passenger in a car and the driver eberm attempts to pick up their phone I don’t hesitate to stop them.

It is not only dangerous, but completely blows my mind how connected people are to these things.

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 am

My top safety picks:

Seat belts.
air bags.

/thread
Not duct tape? :D
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 am

I thought necessary features were determined by the government.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:00 am

I have rented cars with things like blind spot warning and backup cameras and they're amazing, I wish I had them.

On the other hand having the engine turn off when you stop with no option to disable that feature is stupid.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 am
The "government" and I often disagree (in both directions) about things that are "necessary" - not just cars. :confused

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 am

Theseus wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:07 am
Apart from most standard safety features I would personally never buy a car without

- Backup camera

Above three have made it safer and convenient to drive cars we have.

Depending how effective it is, I would also recommend lane departure warning or lane keep assist. This is not a must, but it does help if you ever get distracted while driving.
I like those as well. I'm now at the point where I don't consider it real cruise control unless it is adaptive cruise control. I don't have lane keep assist but think it would help, much like adaptive CC. My car's blind spot warning is helpful but can be confusing. It is a yellow icon in the outside mirrors but it is right next to the yellow turn signal indicator. It can give you a scare when looking to change lanes an suddenly the turn signal stars blinking -- for a split second it makes one think one is about to turn in front of someone!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 am

I am old enough to remember when cars did not "need" turn signals, outside rear view mirrors or backup lights.

For example, you would indicate turns and backing up with hand/arm signals out the drivers window.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 am

JPH wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

My top safety picks:

Seat belts.
air bags.

/thread
Not duct tape? :D
My vehicle has lap belts. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to retractable 3 point belts. :happy

I would rather not rely on technology to drive.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am

bigdav160 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 am
Even a horse has adaptive cruise control!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 am
I am old enough to remember when cars did not "need" turn signals, outside rear view mirrors or backup lights.
For example, you would indicate turns and backing up with hand/arm signals out the drivers window.
No seat belts either - back then. Our family bought a new 1963 Plymouth - and it had the anchors for lap belts. I was in High school and got the lap belts and installed them myself.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:20 am

ronteller11 wrote:

Some kind of integration of your cellphone into the car audio system would be nice to have in Georgia now that we have a new and extremely restrictive "hands free" law for using cellphones -- as of this month. You can't legally hold the phone in your hand or even have it in your lap or shirt pocket while you're using it.

jimb

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 am

jimb_fromATL wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:20 am
ronteller11 wrote:

Some kind of integration of your cellphone into the car audio system would be nice to have in Georgia now that we have a new and extremely restrictive "hands free" law for using cellphones -- as of this month. You can't legally hold the phone in your hand or even have it in your lap or shirt pocket while you're using it.

jimb
My cell phone connects to my car via bluetooth. I can control it via voice ("Call home")

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 am
The "government" and I often disagree (in both directions) about things that are "necessary" - not just cars. :confused
But who has the final word?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 am

dm200 wrote:

As am I old enough, and I remember those hand/arm signals didn't always work so good after dark.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am
dm200 wrote:
No seat belts either - back then. Our family bought a new 1963 Plymouth - and it had the anchors for lap belts. I was in High school and got the lap belts and installed them myself.
I installed them in my 1959 Chevy by drilling holes in the floorboard to anchor them

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 am

Ha ha, I have adaptive cruise control but I never had the courage to use it (it kind of freaks me out, FWIW).

When parking, I do really like the little warnings that tell me how close the corners and sides of my car are to other objects.
And when changing lanes, I also love the warnings about cars close to me.
I'm surprised how much I've come to appreciate these warning features.

And I also find myself looking at the backup camera a lot.
So I feel strange now driving w/o those driving aids. It's a real convenience.

It's like safety belts. I feel naked without them.

And LOL, I remember my father saying I shouldn't use the seat belts because you couldn't get out fast enough in a fire. He never wore them.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) seems strongly supportive of automation and crash avoidance, particularly front crash avoidance. They say, among other things,
... systems with forward collision warning and automatic braking cut rear-end crashes in half... The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) [found consistently lower claim rates for vehicles with front crash prevention]....

Blind spot detection has been show to reduce lane-change crashes by 14 percent....

Lane departure warning has not brought down insurance claim rates, but has reduced rates of single-vehicle, sideswipe, and head-on crashes reported to the police....
It gave the car we bought in 2016 a "Top IIHS Safety Pick+" rating and noted that "Front Crash Prevention" was "superior." In 2013, before most of the electronic pre-collision detection was available it got a "Top IIHS Safety Pick" without the +. Under "Front Crash protection" it noted that "This system does not meet the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's criteria for forward collision warning.

Subjectively, we've found the "rear cross-traffic detection" to be very valuable, e.g when backing up out of the driveway or in a parking lot. Rear view video is huge. I think the blind spot detection has been valuable, although that's partly because our car doesn't have the best side visibility. I don't think either of these has actually prevented us from hitting anybody.

In two years of ownership, I've been aware of the pre-collision sensor flashing "BRAKE" (in red across the whole screen) about four times, but it has never actually slammed the brake itself. My wife and I have different preferences for when we brake, when cars ahead of us slow up; knowing that the car itself will brake when needed helps one of us to relax and not do as much "back-seat driving."

It has a "panic-stop" feature in which it detects hard braking and automatically brakes even harder. I don't think I like it. It has given my passenger unnecessary discomfort and alarm. But it hasn't caused anyone to rear-end me.

I find "adaptive cruise control," which regulates the car's speed based on radar sensing of the car ahead, to be very valuable at least as a fatigue reducer. One important aspect is that the car's radar can obviously sense relative speed better than I can. In any case, in our part of the country, we rarely encounter highways so open that we could really use traditional cruise control, but it works just beautifully on busy interstates.

The parking proximity detection is helpful. The parking assist (you operate accelerator, drive/reverse, and brakes, but it literally steers, turning the steering wheel) basically doesn't work, in my opinion. That is, it works, but it's not useful. It doesn't really know where the curb is, it parks relative to the car ahead of you, and it can't deal with the toughest situation (parking where the road has a concave curve).

I'm glad to say I can't speak to the value of vehicle stability control, which is said to be very important, or any of the I'm-not-sure-how-many airbags.

I do worry what the "impact" of all these electronics will be on repair costs in fender-benders, when the fender is stuffed to the gills with wires and sensors.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:36 am

Technology doesn't get tired or distracted or emotional. No matter how good a driver you *think* you are, you are still human. So the tech serves a legitimate purpose, even for all the naysayers on this thread.

Not to mention all the drivers out there who are clearly not safe drivers, the tech saves you from them too.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:41 am

bigdav160 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 am

My vehicle has lap belts. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to retractable 3 point belts. :happy

My 64 had only lap belts. When I bought it in 1998 I added shoulder belts to the front seats, and I totaled it in 2012. I'm very confident the shoulder belts, that left both my DW and I bruised, saved us both from very significant head and chest injuries in that crash.

PS - that was in my airplane

multiham

Post by multiham » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:44 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:36 am
Technology doesn't get tired or distracted or emotional. No matter how good a driver you *think* you are, you are still human. So the tech serves a legitimate purpose, even for all the naysayers on this thread.

Not to mention all the drivers out there who are clearly not safe drivers, the tech saves you from them too.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm sure none of you have ever had a tough day at work (or at the golf course) and your focus is not 100% as you've driven this same route 100's of times. Technology will definitely help in this case. You also have to admit (as much as you don't want to) that your reflexes and reaction time today are not the same as they were when you were in your 20's. Experience makes up for some of that and technology can help with the rest.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 am

Electric starting. Hand cranking is difficult and dangerous.

Pneumatic tires. Much better than solid rubber.

Seat belts next, followed by airbags.

I had a car with the electronic nannies but sold it (not because of those though.)

I found the adaptive cruise control not useful. I can see several cars ahead and it can see only the next car ahead. It activates the brake lights very often, screwing up traffic and providing a jerky drive experience. I drive much smoother than it could.

The lane departure warning was annoying and useless. I disabled it.

Blind spot monitoring was barely marginally useful, mostly because the manufacturer seemed to enlarge the blind spots to gigantic proportions.

The IIHS-dictated 25 degree seat recline angle, head restraint configuration, and aggressive bolsters in which to hide the side air bags combined to make the car ergonomically un-driveable for me. This is why I sold that car.
Semper Augustus

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 am

ronteller11 wrote:
We have these features and find them to be very helpful. This is based on extensive and extended use. I wonder if everyone in this thread who stated that they are not useful/needed (or worse) have actually used them for a while, or if they are simply “above average” drivers like 80+% of us according to some studies ;)

I personally would not have imagined that adaptive cruise control was a worthwhile feature until we got our first vehicle with it (Forester) and used it extensively on road trips. (contrary to Teague I have not noticed any “jerky drive experience” when using adaptive cruise control)

And yes, not using a cellphone is also a good safety thing.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:56 am

None of the safety features you list are necessary, in my opinion, but I find each of them useful as implemented in my car. So, I view them as useful luxuries — you’ll bed to make a subjective judgment about whether to you they are worth the extra cost.

CarPlay is okay. I’ve used it a few times, but prefer my car’s native entertainment system, Mercedes Connect. When CarPlay supports Waze, I may use it more frequently.

Andy.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm

We have a car with most of the latest driver's aids and we have an older car without the driver aids.

The driving experience going from one to the other is quite remarkable, IMO.

Rear cross traffic alert is very nice to have.
Rear backup camera is very nice to have (our driveway is very steep and you really can't see any of the driveway at all when backing down so you'd have to back up the driveway if you don't have a rear camera - or just go with hopes and prayers that there is nothing and no one on the driveway when you back up).
Blind spot monitor is nice to have for an additional check before I change lanes on the highway at 70mph vs the lower tech car.
Adaptive cruise control is an amazing luxury. I used to use my "dumb" cruise control all the time in the lower tech car, but now it seems more annoying to use after having adaptive cruise control.
Automatic emergency brakes - hope to never find out how good it works.
Electronic traction control - works great in low traction conditions (ice/snow).
ABS - works great in low traction conditions (ice/snow/rain). Only had to use it once or twice in dry conditions.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:23 pm

One way to look at this is how do these extra safety features affect insurance rates? The discounts for most of these safety features is slim to none. While these features do reduce the frequency of accidents, they can paradoxically drive up the severity.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/perso ... 027691001/

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Slacker wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm
ABS - works great in low traction conditions (ice/snow/rain). Only had to use it once or twice in dry conditions.
After spending over three decades learning how to pump the brakes in various driving conditions I had a hard time adjusting to it. I still want to pump when I don't think the ABS is doing it right.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Of course, while miles driven in the US has increased a lot - the number of deaths in auto accidents has not risen - but actually declined per mile.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 am
I found the adaptive cruise control not useful.
Don't give up on it. Your next car may have a better implementation. My VW Passat has a decent implementation. I find non-adaptive CC to be a half-baked idea. Kinda "why bother?" What good is CC that you have to constantly override?

I do know mine could be better, for example it will not bring the car to a full stop.

Ztx

Post by Ztx » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Got a 2017 Lexus with most safety features:
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert - VERY NICE! Helps to back out of parking spots, driveway etc... Works really well. Of course, I do look around as well but if it beeps I just wait.
- Backup camera - must have. I have even installed an after-market one on my wife's older car.
- Blind Sport Monitor - helpful as an initial indicator, i.e. I first look in the mirror and if I see an alert I don't bother doing shoulder check and just wait. However if there is no alert, I do my usual shoulder check.
- Adaptive cruise control - very helpful during long drives, but I don't use it during commute.
- Emergency brake and alert. Thankfully I haven't had to use the emergency braking but the alert saved me few times from rear ending the car in front of me. (I should have been paying better attention :| )
- Lane departure - I played with it for a bit but then just turned it off. Not worth it in my opinion.
- Not really a new tech but full airbag coverage is a must as well in my opinion.

P.S. If you can afford it - but the safest car/safety options. Driving is one of the most dangerous activities and in my opinion it is wise to spend your money to reduce the risk your family faces whenever possible.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:16 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 am
Ha ha, I have adaptive cruise control but I never had the courage to use it (it kind of freaks me out, FWIW).

When parking, I do really like the little warnings that tell me how close the corners and sides of my car are to other objects.
And when changing lanes, I also love the warnings about cars close to me.
I'm surprised how much I've come to appreciate these warning features.

And I also find myself looking at the backup camera a lot.
So I feel strange now driving w/o those driving aids. It's a real convenience.

It's like safety belts. I feel naked without them.

And LOL, I remember my father saying I shouldn't use the seat belts because you couldn't get out fast enough in a fire. He never wore them.
I have a new car with these features and I really like them.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Maybe I am just getting to be an ornery old fart - BUT I see so many folks who seem to not have a clue how to drive a car these days.

SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:41 pm

The most useless of all the "safety features" is the blind spot warning. It is literally a fix for a problem of people not knowing how to set their mirrors correctly. So instead of teaching g people how to use the 2 ton weapon they are driving we add warning lights.

It takes 10 seconds to set your mirrors right (if you also have your seat set correctly, which almost nobody has either)

I have never driven a car with blind spot warning where the warning was of any use with correctly adjusted mirrors.

VaR

Post by VaR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:01 pm

SDLinguist wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:41 pm
The most useless of all the "safety features" is the blind spot warning. It is literally a fix for a problem of people not knowing how to set their mirrors correctly. So instead of teaching g people how to use the 2 ton weapon they are driving we add warning lights.

It takes 10 seconds to set your mirrors right (if you also have your seat set correctly, which almost nobody has either)

I have never driven a car with blind spot warning where the warning was of any use with correctly adjusted mirrors.
By that argument, much safety tech is unnecessary because with proper cautious and defensive driving, you don't need it to stay out of an accident.

That said, is it really possible to adjust your mirrors nowadays to avoid having to turn your head to check your blind spot while still having them adjusted properly to see things in the distance?

As a separate issue, what's the insurance IRR on various safety features? It seems to me like we could have two definitions of "necessary", that which prevents a nontrivial number of accidents or injury, and that which has an insurance discount IRR greater than zero.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:10 pm

SDLinguist wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I can't get my spouse to set the mirrors correctly. She insists on being able to see the side of the car even though I explain to her that the location of the side of the car is already known. So she is happy with the blind spot detector. I have noticed that the guard rails in the middle of the highway we use frequently will sometimes trigger the BS indicator on the driver's side when you are in the left lane. Have to train yourself to ignore it - isn't like someone is passing you in the median strip --- or are they? :annoyed
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Theseus wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:07 am

- Backup camera
I've seen a backup camera in friends' cars. I can imagine that being a useful feature.

I'm not so sure about the blind spot warnings - that seems like it would just be annoying, but I could imagine it might be handy.

The adaptive cruise control I'm having a hard time seeing the point. I never use the non-adaptive cruise control on my existing cars.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:

My top safety picks:

Seat belts.
air bags.

/thread
I would add Anti Lock Brakes although I am not sure any of the above count as "advanced".