Subaru Ascent owners out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalG

Subaru Ascent owners out there?

Post by capitalG »

Searching for a mid sized SUV and the Highlander and Pilot seem to be favorites here and the former on CR as well. I am really curious about the new Ascent but there’s few reviews available given the newness of the model - want to hear what you like and dislike about it hear from those of you that have lived with it a few weeks. Full disclosure, I am turning into a Subaru loyalist (on my second one now) but cognizant that this bias may be getting the better of me!
Horsefly

Re: Subaru Ascent owners out there?

Post by Horsefly »

I don't know that this is universal, but I heard an ad on the radio today that a dealer was accepting reservations for when the Ascent was available. No specifics, but it sounded like there were none around here (Denver area), and that if you were interested you needed to do something. Hopefully it isn't like a Tesla Model 3, where people were expected to put down money for some mythical delivery in the future.

Note: I'm not meaning to diss Tesla, as I hope it all works out. I just hope most car purchases don't turn into that!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Horsefly wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 pm I don't know that this is universal, but I heard an ad on the radio today that a dealer was accepting reservations for when the Ascent was available. No specifics, but it sounded like there were none around here (Denver area), and that if you were interested you needed to do something. Hopefully it isn't like a Tesla Model 3, where people were expected to put down money for some mythical delivery in the future.

Note: I'm not meaning to diss Tesla, as I hope it all works out. I just hope most car purchases don't turn into that!
There are tons of them listed on the websites of dealers here in the Portland area. Haven't seen one myself but the reviews seem very good, especially if you are a Subaru fan like we are. We are considering one in a few years when some used ones start hitting the market and reliability starts to be understood.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I have not driven the Ascent. I've owned two Subarus and liked them, but I honestly don't see that the Ascent brings much to the three-row SUV game that others don't. The professional reviews generally say it's a competent car but don't find it especially great to drive (even by the standards of this segment). It looks pretty much the same as the Highlander and Pilot. Subaru's biggest selling points - standard AWD and lots of safety features - are available in the other cars as well. If I were shopping in this segment, I'd also check out the Mazda CX-9, which looks and drives better than most three-row SUVs.
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

Test drove the Ascent, the engine is peppy and handles similar to the Forester, a more engaging drive than the Highlander or Pilot. Unfortunately they've stuck with the typical hard plastic / spartan Subaru interior, the cabin is fairly noisy on the expressway, and the 3rd row is unusable for most adults. Third rows are cramped in a number of the SUVs but it is really tough for even Subie lovers like us to justify choosing the Ascent over more spacious, better equipped and similarly priced competitors.

After all the test driving, we are debating between the VW Atlas (best driving car, safe and very spacious 2nd/3rd row, well put together interior, 6 yr/72k bumper to bumper but VW reliability) and the Pilot (also very spacious and safe, likely very reliable, better mileage, but awful infotainment and bland drive).

CapG
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

capitalG wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:14 pm Test drove the Ascent, the engine is peppy and handles similar to the Forester, a more engaging drive than the Highlander or Pilot. Unfortunately they've stuck with the typical hard plastic / spartan Subaru interior, the cabin is fairly noisy on the expressway, and the 3rd row is unusable for most adults. Third rows are cramped in a number of the SUVs but it is really tough for even Subie lovers like us to justify choosing the Ascent over more spacious, better equipped and similarly priced competitors.

After all the test driving, we are debating between the VW Atlas (best driving car, safe and very spacious 2nd/3rd row, well put together interior, 6 yr/72k bumper to bumper but VW reliability) and the Pilot (also very spacious and safe, likely very reliable, better mileage, but awful infotainment and bland drive).

CapG
I'm curious what trim level you test drove. I've found that Limited versions of Subarus are typically much higher quality in both materials and interior build. We bought a 1 year old Legacy Limited about 3 weeks ago and this past week I went with my mom to help her buy a car. I felt the 18 Legacy Limited had improved over my 17 and that the premium (what she bought) did not have anywhere near as nice of interior materials.

I have had no interest in an Ascent, but expect they're soon going to be easy enough to get. Heck.....if I wanted an STi RA (which I do), I have already found half a dozen of them in my area (500 total made).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:24 pm
capitalG wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:14 pm Test drove the Ascent, the engine is peppy and handles similar to the Forester, a more engaging drive than the Highlander or Pilot. Unfortunately they've stuck with the typical hard plastic / spartan Subaru interior, the cabin is fairly noisy on the expressway, and the 3rd row is unusable for most adults. Third rows are cramped in a number of the SUVs but it is really tough for even Subie lovers like us to justify choosing the Ascent over more spacious, better equipped and similarly priced competitors.

CapG
I'm curious what trim level you test drove. I've found that Limited versions of Subarus are typically much higher quality in both materials and interior build. We bought a 1 year old Legacy Limited about 3 weeks ago and this past week I went with my mom to help her buy a car. I felt the 18 Legacy Limited had improved over my 17 and that the premium (what she bought) did not have anywhere near as nice of interior materials.

I have had no interest in an Ascent, but expect they're soon going to be easy enough to get. Heck.....if I wanted an STi RA (which I do), I have already found half a dozen of them in my area (500 total made).
Good question, it was the Touring version which surprisingly was the top-of-the-line. Seats were nice, brown leather and heated in front and rear, but doors/dash/wall still the injection molded plastic from other models. Also unfortunate is they only offer the single 2.4T H4 engine and no other options - could see a loaded car straining without a V6. You are correct regarding inventory, the dealership I visited had close to two dozen available.

CapG
fulanodetal

Post by fulanodetal »

I pre-ordered an Ascent (base trim), have had it for a few weeks, and just got back from a 700-mile road trip in it. I am very happy with it. It's fun to drive. During this trip, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's 2017 fully-loaded Outback so I was able to compare many of the features. Since you mention you're a Subaru loyalist, I'll include some additional detail on that.

Comparing to the 2017 Outback, the Ascent is much higher off the ground and has a newer in-dash system which features Apple Carplay support (the older Outback does not have this). I am able to issue Siri voice commands such as "give me directions to X" and Apple Maps pops up on the screen and behaves as expected - awesome! It also supports Spotify, Whatsapp, and regular text messages. I'm a techie and love how well it all Just Works.

The underlying Eyesight tech seems to be the same as the 2017 Outback, but the Ascent has a series of additional lights on the dash that project onto the windshield that indicate when a collision is impending, when I've lost my lane, and when Eyesight has locked on to the car in front of me (adaptive cruise control). The in-dash interface is identical to the Outback as far as I could tell. I found the interface intuitive, transparent, and fun to use. This sounds silly but the Ascent's back-up camera has lines that turn as you turn the wheel whereas this Outback didn't - this made parking a lot easier for me.

There is one option that I wish I had gotten - the blind spot detection. I was under the impression that this wasn't available on the base trim and didn't want to shell out for the next one up (Premium) but having seen it in action on the Outback, I really wish I had it. The auto-dimming mirrors work great.

Prior to buying the Ascent, I test-drove the Pilot and Pathfinder. I didn't bother to test-drive the Highlander because its reviews were pretty bland. The Atlas looked great but I was scared off by my perception of VW's reputation for unreliability in the US. I also have a Camry and a Corolla (reliable; boring) and was looking for something a little more fun to drive. I fall into the "anything but a minivan" crowd.

I agree with capitalG that the third row is slightly smaller than the Pilot's. I HATED the Pilot; it felt like driving a boat. It felt cheap. And the dealership was pushy and tacky. My 5'3 DW fits easily in the Ascent's third row. I'm 5'11 and I fit in the third row with an inch to spare if the middle row is pushed forward an inch or so from its deepest setting. With a little creativity, you could fit an adult in the back seat by putting them in the right-most spot and pushing forward the rightmost middle-row seat to provide more room. In my case it's not a big deal, as in my case the people involved are small enough to fit there.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help answer.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

fulanodetal wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 pm I pre-ordered an Ascent (base trim), have had it for a few weeks, and just got back from a 700-mile road trip in it. I am very happy with it. It's fun to drive. During this trip, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's 2017 fully-loaded Outback so I was able to compare many of the features. Since you mention you're a Subaru loyalist, I'll include some additional detail on that.

Comparing to the 2017 Outback, the Ascent is much higher off the ground and has a newer in-dash system which features Apple Carplay support (the older Outback does not have this). I am able to issue Siri voice commands such as "give me directions to X" and Apple Maps pops up on the screen and behaves as expected - awesome! It also supports Spotify, Whatsapp, and regular text messages. I'm a techie and love how well it all Just Works.

The underlying Eyesight tech seems to be the same as the 2017 Outback, but the Ascent has a series of additional lights on the dash that project onto the windshield that indicate when a collision is impending, when I've lost my lane, and when Eyesight has locked on to the car in front of me (adaptive cruise control). The in-dash interface is identical to the Outback as far as I could tell. I found the interface intuitive, transparent, and fun to use. This sounds silly but the Ascent's back-up camera has lines that turn as you turn the wheel whereas this Outback didn't - this made parking a lot easier for me.

There is one option that I wish I had gotten - the blind spot detection. I was under the impression that this wasn't available on the base trim and didn't want to shell out for the next one up (Premium) but having seen it in action on the Outback, I really wish I had it. The auto-dimming mirrors work great.

Prior to buying the Ascent, I test-drove the Pilot and Pathfinder. I didn't bother to test-drive the Highlander because its reviews were pretty bland. The Atlas looked great but I was scared off by my perception of VW's reputation for unreliability in the US. I also have a Camry and a Corolla (reliable; boring) and was looking for something a little more fun to drive. I fall into the "anything but a minivan" crowd.

I agree with capitalG that the third row is slightly smaller than the Pilot's. I HATED the Pilot; it felt like driving a boat. It felt cheap. And the dealership was pushy and tacky. My 5'3 DW fits easily in the Ascent's third row. I'm 5'11 and I fit in the third row with an inch to spare if the middle row is pushed forward an inch or so from its deepest setting. With a little creativity, you could fit an adult in the back seat by putting them in the right-most spot and pushing forward the rightmost middle-row seat to provide more room. In my case it's not a big deal, as in my case the people involved are small enough to fit there.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help answer.
How was the mpg?
fulanodetal

Post by fulanodetal »

How was the mpg?
With the odometer at 869 miles, and with about 700 of them being highway miles, I'm getting 24.5 mpg. The rest of the miles were typical suburban driving patterns. I drove between 60-80mph on the highway, mostly using cruise control; 2 adults, 2 infants, and way too much cargo in the trunk. I just discovered that the cruise control can be put into an "eco" mode which results in less aggressive acceleration; will try that out next road trip. The car uses 87 octane unleaded.
nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer »

How does the cargo trunk space compare on the Ascent? I can see the volume specs, but those aren't always comparable across manufacturers. So how usable is it actually in real life?

I do a fair bit of dirt road driving where I don't need fancy four wheeling, but I do need high clearance... Unfortunately it seems like all the third-row SUVs have non-existent trunk space if the third row is up unless I go for the Suburban / Sequoia... I've considered a minivan (I don't mind the aesthetics), but their ground clearance is abysmal (especially the Odyssey).

We are Subaru fans, so hoping the cargo space feels big...
Last edited by nerdymarketer on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

capitalG wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:40 pm Also unfortunate is they only offer the single 2.4T H4 engine and no other options - could see a loaded car straining without a V6.
Small correction...Subaru has never in its history sold a car with a V6.
fulanodetal

Post by fulanodetal »

nerdymarketer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 am How does the cargo trunk space compare on the Ascent? I can see the volume specs, but those aren't always comparable across manifacturers. So how usable is it actually in real life?
It's pretty small when the third row seats are up, similar to the other manufacturers. It will hold a few large suitcases / baseball bags / etc but is definitely quite a bit smaller than the trunk of my parents' 2011 Odssey. My backup plan if I need more space is to use the one of those devices that you attach to the trailer hitch.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 am
capitalG wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:40 pm Also unfortunate is they only offer the single 2.4T H4 engine and no other options - could see a loaded car straining without a V6.
The Outback has a V6 option (3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring)
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

playtothebeat wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 pm
lazydavid wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 am
The Outback has a V6 option (3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring)
I believe what lazydavid was referring to is that it is not a V6 but is an H6.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Nate79 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:11 pm I believe what lazydavid was referring to is that it is not a V6 but is an H6.
Correct, Subaru engines have horizontally opposed cylinders. They can often be referred to as boxer or flat engines. A traditional V engine, has aligned cylinders/pistons in a V shape.

Subaru does offer a 6 cylinder option, but it's not configured as a common V6.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

nerdymarketer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 am How does the cargo trunk space compare on the Ascent? I can see the volume specs, but those aren't always comparable across manifacturers. So how usable is it actually in real life?

I do a fair bit of dirt road driving where I don't need fancy four wheeling, but I do need high clearance... Unfortunately it seems like all the third-row SUVs have non-existent trunk space if the third row is up unless I go for the Suburban / Sequoia... I've considered a minivan (I don't mind the aesthetics), but their ground clearance is abysmal (especially the Odyssey).

We are Subaru fans, so hoping the cargo space feels big...
If you’re looking for cargo space without the bulk of the Suburban/Sequoia, look at the 2018 Chevy Traverse.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

playtothebeat wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 pm The Outback has a V6 option (3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring)
As others have mentioned, all Subaru engines are horizontally opposed, which they and BMW call "boxer" and Porsche calls "flat". The 3.6R you reference has an H6. Still 6 cylinders, but a very different layout. V6s usually have the banks of cylinders canted at 90, 60, or 45 degrees. VW makes a 15-degree with a single head (all others have two, one per bank) that they call the VR6. H6s on the other hand, are always 180 degrees.
agilesheltz

Post by agilesheltz »

How are you liking your Ascents, those of you who bought early? What is good, bad, any surprises? I'm interested in some reviews now that some have been driving them for a few months.
rxdawg21

Post by rxdawg21 »

We just got the ascent touring model with most upgrades (47800 msrp). We love it. First Subaru I’ve owned and live it. I finds it’s a quiet and smooth ride with plenty of pickup. Plenty of room in the front or captain chairs. I’m 6’3 and 210 lbs. my wife that’s 5’2 can fit in the back row. The storage with the seats up isn’t great but it also has a nice under the floor storage in the back. We will probably get a Thule carrier for our roof rack for vacation trips.

I test drove the Mazda. I was cramped as a passenger with my legs barely not touching the sides. My wife and I also didn’t like the console layout. We were heavily considering the Volvo XC90 but the 15k price difference was too much and he Subaru has captains chairs and other things that were better. Of course the Volvo is sharper to me and slightly more luxurious front seats but not worth the extra money.

I have no complaints other then only one color option for seats in touring trim. I like it but Brown isn’t my top choice
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

As I have shared in a number of threads recently, my Subaru ownership is turning into a disaster. My engine blew in a 2013 Forester at 72k miles. This car has been affected by the oil consumption issue and constantly "ate" oil, though the dealer claimed it was within specs. To see if I qualify for the warranty, the dealer made me provide oil change receipts, which I did. Now they are telling me that they will have to tear down the engine at my cost upfront before they decide if they will honor the warranty. These people are crazy. Bottom line, Subarus are not what they used to be and their warranty appears to mean nothing. I would avoid Subaru at all costs. :(
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:33 pm As I have shared in a number of threads recently, my Subaru ownership is turning into a disaster. My engine blew in a 2013 Forester at 72k miles. This car has been affected by the oil consumption issue and constantly "ate" oil, though the dealer claimed it was within specs. To see if I qualify for the warranty, the dealer made me provide oil change receipts, which I did. Now they are telling me that they will have to tear down the engine at my cost upfront before they decide if they will honor the warranty. These people are crazy. Bottom line, Subarus are not what they used to be and their warranty appears to mean nothing. I would avoid Subaru at all costs. :(
So you bump a thread on the Ascent just to complain and rant about your Forester?

I have a 2010 Forester with 100k miles that has been extremely reliable. We are going to consider an Ascent soon due to being a big fan of Subaru and their excellent and reliable products.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Frankly, it speaks to the reliability of the brand and how they won't honor their warranties, which I would find to be useful information regardless of model. It's not like I was ranting about a Toyota.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pm Frankly, it speaks to the reliability of the brand and how they won't honor their warranties, which I would find to be useful information regardless of model. It's not like I was ranting about a Toyota.
This was a very well known problem. What did Suabru corporate say to this? Did you contact another dealer?

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/80/engine-oil ... 015-subaru
sambb

Post by sambb »

its interesting that sometimes these 3 row SUVs are discussed above as "fun to drive".
I have found the 911 GTS ive owned to be fun, along with other exotics. ive also owned subaru vehicles. Subies are GREAT cars. but i would never describe them as fun to drive compared to a Macan, or a X5, etc. Not sure what i am missing. They are nice to ride in though. For "fun to drive" id consider a macan or cayenne more than a subaru. However for a nice value play on an SUV, i think subarus are good cars.
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

sambb wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:03 pm its interesting that sometimes these 3 row SUVs are discussed above as "fun to drive".
I have found the 911 GTS ive owned to be fun, along with other exotics. ive also owned subaru vehicles. Subies are GREAT cars. but i would never describe them as fun to drive compared to a Macan, or a X5, etc. Not sure what i am missing. They are nice to ride in though. For "fun to drive" id consider a macan or cayenne more than a subaru. However for a nice value play on an SUV, i think subarus are good cars.
I humbly submit to you the Subaru WRX STI. I cannot conceive of a vehicle more “fun to drive.” For a fraction of the price of the vehicles you named.
agilesheltz

Post by agilesheltz »

I need a vehicle to haul 3 dogs/crates, 4WD or AWD, and a towing capacity of the Ascent (or higher) - "fun to drive" comes after those requirements 8-) . If I don't end up with an Ascent, it will likely be another Pathfinder.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pm Frankly, it speaks to the reliability of the brand and how they won't honor their warranties, which I would find to be useful information regardless of model. It's not like I was ranting about a Toyota.
No it doesn’t. You have one example, it could be a part of a trend or it could be a complete outlier. My family has had 5 Subarus and we haven’t had any of the issues you described. While your Forester and the Ascent both have 2.4L engines, the Ascent’s is brand new and a completely different generation.

You’re complaining about a 5 year old car that has exceeded the age and mileage for most of the warranty. I have a 2012 Impreza that falls under the alert and haven’t had any issues with excesss oil consumption.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

jbmitt wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 pm
No it doesn’t. You have one example, it could be a part of a trend or it could be a complete outlier. My family has had 5 Subarus and we haven’t had any of the issues you described. While your Forester and the Ascent both have 2.4L engines, the Ascent’s is brand new and a completely different generation.

You’re complaining about a 5 year old car that has exceeded the age and mileage for most of the warranty. I have a 2012 Impreza that falls under the alert and haven’t had any issues with excesss oil consumption.
It is absolutely hit and miss. My Mom has the same year and model with absolutely no problems. A guy I work with has an Outback with the same exact problem. So, the issue is certainly not universal. Let's face it, every manufacturer has issues. I guess I was naive to think that Subaru (or any other brand) would own their mistake and live up to an extended warranty as agreed to in a class-action settlement.
researcher

Post by researcher »

capitalG wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 pm I am really curious about the new Ascent...
Full disclosure, I am turning into a Subaru loyalist (on my second one now) but cognizant that this bias may be getting the better of me!
"The three-row SUV that families think they need in the Subaru wrapper they think they want."
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... est-review

Seems like it might be the perfect car for you!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

folkher0 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:15 pm I humbly submit to you the Subaru WRX STI. I cannot conceive of a vehicle more “fun to drive.” For a fraction of the price of the vehicles you named.
Never drive a Lotus Elise or Exige, then. I’ve driven dozens of STis on the track (instructor) and while they are relatively fun, they’re like driving a dump truck compared to the Lotus.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
beyou

Post by beyou »

Regarding the comments in terms of Subaru's ability/willingness to stand behind their product and defects,
I am on my 4th Subaru, and 2 of the 4 had manufacturer defects. One minor, one major.
In both cases, they were completely useless in terms of standing behind their product.
They are very polite and act as if they want to help, but it is clear that Subaru employees in the US have
no technical ability to resolve manu defects and the engineers in Japan do not or can not work to support resolution.

In one case I got coupons and gifts as an apology for NOT fixing a manu defect after many visits to the dealer over the course of a year+.
In the other case, I made them take my original 1st Subaru back as a trade in for a newer model, knowing it had a serious defect.
I told them, "I don't care what condition my old car is in or how defective it is, you take it back at the Kelly Blue Book value as trade in for a new model or I'm done with Subarus". They reluctantly did the trade in. So in the end, I have 3 very good Subarus now, one with a minor annoyance of a defect, the major defect is someone else's problem now....

That said, I enjoy their products and feel they are relatively safe and no worse support than other car makers.
Same problem my 1st Subie had, I also had in a Ford product. Difference is, Ford eventually (after many visits to many dealers) did fix it,
Subaru never fixed either of my issues.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Just an update - after additional negotiation, Subaru has agreed to rebuild the engine under warranty. I'll still be trading it for a Toyota.
Socrates

I believe the 2013 Forester was just recalled

Post by Socrates »

I have owned several Suburus and they are like tanks....last forever as my Honda have. My fiancee just bought a 2018 Forester and loves it.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.