Boglehead CPA's: How Do You Complete Your CPE Requirements?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
atlantaCPA

Boglehead CPA's: How Do You Complete Your CPE Requirements?

Post by atlantaCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am

Boglehead CPA's: where do you purchase/obtain the CPE credits required to maintain your license?

I'm looking primarily at online/self-study options. I work for a large company in a finance role geared toward planning & budgeting, so I sometimes struggle to find applicable content (while somewhat interesting, topics on tax, estate planning, etc. aren't that relevant to my current role). I'm fortunate in that my employer will reimburse any associated costs, within reason.

If anyone has recommendations, please share! :happy

Gill

Re: Boglehead CPA's: How Do You Complete Your CPE Requirements?

Post by Gill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:17 am

When I was still meeting the CPE requirements I used the Journal of Accountancy to meet part of the requirement. Very easy to do.
Gill

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 am

One of my sons is a cpa... he works for a large accounting auditing firm, and they send him to one of their continuing education sessions a couple times per year. He says that more than satisfies his annual ed requirements.
Last edited by CedarWaxWing on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

user9532

Post by user9532 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:23 am

We have a corporate license for Becker. Becker has a lot of online courses you can complete at your convenience.

pghpens

Post by pghpens » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:26 am

I work for a large accounting firm and the company has mandatory "e-learnings" which count towards the CPE requirements. They have a tracker for which type of credits are still needed. There's also webcasts you can watch online which count.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm like the op, I am certified but don't practice. I usually get a bunch of cheap self study and cram through it pretty quickly.

I actually did notice my package had some excel tips and tricks webinars and they are actually pretty good. They have other non accounting stuff but the material is very dry.

Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I get free CPE through Deloitte's webcasts. If you just need to get some hours, and you don't necessarily care about the topic, this is a good option. They are generally an hour long, take place during the work day, and you have to answer 3 questions to prove you are participating.

http://www.usdbriefs.com/calendar/thyme/thyme/index.php

My company pays for CPE, but this is an easy way to get hours and maintain an active license. I also use Thompson Reuters/Checkpoint Learning for a fee.

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Ilikesparklers wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 pm
I get free CPE through Deloitte's webcasts. If you just need to get some hours, and you don't necessarily care about the topic, this is a good option. They are generally an hour long, take place during the work day, and you have to answer 3 questions to prove you are participating.
I use this and then if I need to, I also sign up for CPE Depot - they have a broad range of topics and length/difficulties which make it easy to get the number of hours you need. All online so very easy from an administrative point of view.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather