What time do you get up in the morning?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BradJ

What time do you get up in the morning?

Post by BradJ »

I was once told that if a parent wants to accomplish things, they must create time rather than find it. Heading this advice I have been waking up around 4am to get in a quick jog, weight lifting (none of the which is anything to brag about, but it is better than nothing), Bible and prayer time, and just a little bit of peace before the never ending errands begin. This new habit had me thinking when other people get up, and what their routines are. Just curious, thank you for your time.
bloom2708

Re: What time do you get up in the morning?

Post by bloom2708 »

6 am

For me, it has to be sustainable without naps. 4 am would be too early. I would be toast after several days. I do try to get to bed by around 9:30 to 10:00.

If you do not need the sleep and don't crash, do whatever works out best. I exercise between 6 and 7 and still have time to eat, read the paper, etc.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I get up when my peepers open.

Seriously though - 4AM may be fine but not OK if you go to bed at midnight.

Sleep is important. I typically wake up at 6ish. What you are doing is likely fine as long as you do not burn out and are not irritable at work by the end of the day.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

I usually go to bed around 10:00, if not earlier. My second kid is six weeks old and I have already noticed that I have started to gain weight and had zero time to exercise, so waking up early is a necessity. I leave for work around 7Am, so waking up at 6 would make it tough to accomplish all I want to do.

Post by 123 »

I often get up at 5 am whenever possible. I find I get a lot more done when I start early before other household members (I especially like to get up early on weekends since everyone else sleeps later then). Early exercise and reading are favorite activities, also quiet housekeeping (a vacuum would wake others up). If I've got grocery shopping to do I often try to be the first one there when stores open at 6 or 7 am (weekends usually).

The main disincentive to getting up early is heating up the house for longer periods (expense), that is somewhat seasonal.

Though I don't have any military background or experience an old army recruiting TV ad they used to run always impressed me. It included something along the line of "We do more before breakfast than most people do all day".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

7 or 7:30 on weekdays.

8 or 9 on weekends.

I generally stay up late each night, so that's why I don't do the 5am thing anymore.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

As far as productively is concerned, it is not important how early you wake up, the amount of sleep/sleep quality is what matters. I would work on getting better quality sleep, which means no electronic devices <two hours before going to sleep.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

The time varies, but the duration doesn't. Weekdays I sleep from 10pm to 6am (gotta be at work at 7:30). Friday night to Saturday morning, I sleep from 2am to 10am. Saturday night to Sunday morning, I sleep from 11pm to 7am.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Weekdays: 5:30am. I generally either get to my office at 7am or 8am. I am locked in to working pretty standard office hours.

Weekends: depends, but generally no later than 7. Sometimes 5-6am.

We generally always lay down in bed by 9, and are asleep by 10. I believe sleep is very important to day-to-day as well as long term health. Getting on a set sleep schedule is crucial.

We don't have kids yet, and I know everything above will change when we do. :wink:
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

MWF. 5:15
TThu 4:45
Sat/Sun 6-7AM
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Kudos to the OP if they can sustain the 4AM thing. My son goes to bed around 8:30. If I went straight to bed as soon as he did and fell asleep as soon as my head it the pillow (unlikely), that still wouldn't give me the 8 hours of sleep I need to feel good the next day. I suppose some people have more pressing sleep needs than others. Unfortunately, I become physically ill and mentally foggy if I go more than a day or two without a full 8.

I tend to be up at 6:45 on weekends or 6:15 on work days. Usually do a quick workout at lunch, and sometimes do the daycare run with the jogging stroller to get some extra exercise.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm I was once told that if a parent wants to accomplish things, they must create time rather than find it. Heading this advice I have been waking up around 4am to get in a quick jog, weight lifting (none of the which is anything to brag about, but it is better than nothing), Bible and prayer time, and just a little bit of peace before the never ending errands begin. This new habit had me thinking when other people get up, and what their routines are. Just curious, thank you for your time.
I get up when I get up. :mrgreen:
Time is the ultimate currency.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

123 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:17 pm I often get up at 5 am whenever possible. I find I get a lot more done when I start early before other household members (I especially like to get up early on weekends since everyone else sleeps later then). Early exercise and reading are favorite activities, also quiet housekeeping (a vacuum would wake others up). If I've got grocery shopping to do I often try to be the first one there when stores open at 6 or 7 am (weekends usually).

The main disincentive to getting up early is heating up the house for longer periods (expense), that is somewhat seasonal.

Though I don't have any military background or experience an old army recruiting TV ad they used to run always impressed me. It included something along the line of "We do more before breakfast than most people do all day".
Hahahaha my father always vacuumed at 7am while we were trying to sleep!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Cosmo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm As far as productively is concerned, it is not important how early you wake up, the amount of sleep/sleep quality is what matters. I would work on getting better quality sleep, which means no electronic devices <two hours before going to sleep.
+1. I'm up at 6am, 7 days a week. Enough time for my morning routine of getting in some movement prep/squat progressions and getting the kids ready for the day (whether that be school or daycare) before I walk out the door around 7:15am for my 5min stroll to my office. I haven't needed any sort of alarm in years, I wake up within minutes of this time every day just out of routine. My wife goes into work at 6:30am, so she is up an hour or so before I am, depending on whether she is driving or cycling to work that day. We focus on making every walking minute productive, not on being up more or earlier. Almost never is anybody awake at our home past 10pm or before 5am.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

This morning 8:45. I'm retired :D
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

6a every morning. There are many great spiritual masters who have survived on very little sleep, but I'm not a spiritual master. :D I literally do not remember the last time I got up after 8a, though I'm sure it was some time in the last...decade.

Like you, my wife and I try to go to bed around 9:30. We might lie in bed reading till 10, but we might also be lights out at 8:30. It really depends on the day we've both had - me at work and her with the kids (3yo and 21 mo).

Re: weight gain. I'd consider your diet, too. If you can't work out as much (maybe you only have time to jog OR lift weights one day, if you find waking at 4a isn't sustainable and you need to push it 4:40 or 5), then you've got to cut back on calories.

I could not function indefinitely if my sleep schedule were 10-4. I need closer to 8 hours.

Sorry for any unsolicited advice beyond your original question. You've got a 6-week old, I'm surprised you can post coherently right now. :beer
Last edited by Texanbybirth on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I'm retired, but DW is still working, so I get up at 5:45 AM when her alarm goes off. Bed time is usually around 10 PM. I don't take naps during the day, as it messes with my sleep schedule.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Speaking of vacuuming.....my mom was a mail carrier, so she worked on Saturday. My dad would wake all his boys up at the 7am with the simple action statement "....while their momma is outside working, her boys are sleeping like a bunch of sissies"..........that was his way of saying get your butt up and clean.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

M-F I get up when I hear my wife close the door leaving for work. Getting up any earlier would just be getting in her way. Now that I am retired I try to get 7.5 hours of sleep per night, which is a hour more than I was getting when working
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

4:45am 7-days a week, hardly ever make it to the alarm.

4-days a week, I run at that time. The other days, catch up on emails, hit the grocery store, Walmart, etc.

Weekdays, out the door for work by 6:30.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

I get up naturally everyday at between 2:30-3:00 a.m. I wish I could sleep to around 3:30 but no matter what I do nothing works.

On an average night five and a half hours. A great night six.

I'm usually dead by 8:30 p.m.

Luckily, my wife and her brother are just like me. Many mornings we are hiking or running with headlamps.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Will do good wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:41 pm This morning 8:45. I'm retired :D
6 am today (went to7 am Rotary meeting), 9:30 am yesterday Holiday. Day before yesterday 8 am 4 mile walk time. Tomorrow it will be about 9:30...maybe 10 am, maybe 7 am. Retired, so whatever I want to do I can and when I want to do it or not want to do anything,
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
xenochrony

Post by xenochrony »

I awaken naturally every morning, so I get out of bed shortly after my eyes open which can vary from 5:30am-7:30am. Go to bed at 10:00pm 7 days per week, though I typically dont enter sleep until 10:30pm-11:00pm. Makes for a very restful 7-9 hrs of sleep each night. No alarm clock in over 5 years, and I do work FT and have kids/dog. :shock:
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

"Mr Bladder" generally wakes me up around 5-6 am. Sometimes I sleep again, sometimes not.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Up between 5:30 and 6:30. I usually tuck in between 10 and 11. Like to get 7-8 hours sleep.

The routine is usually constant: arise and take long walk; quick shower then Starbucks run with the Mrs., shopping for groceries and home for work/fun on computer. Later in day events vary.
John151

Post by John151 »

When I was working, I usually went to bed around 11 p.m. and got up at 7 a.m. Now that I’ve retired, I stay up until 3 a.m. and get up around 11 a.m. I’ve never been a morning person, so I sleep through most of it. Sleeping late is one of the best things about being retired.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

6:24am -snooze- 6:33am

That's M-F...weekends I'm usually up around 7:30.
Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers »

I wake up at about 5:45 M-F with an alarm clock so I can be at work by 7 am. I go to bed around 10-10:30 pm on work nights. I generally feel very well rested and would consider myself a morning person.

I keep these early hours so I can leave work by 3:30 pm and feel like a have plenty of time and daylight to do my own thing, like yoga/exercise, run errands/make calls, happy hour, etc. I also spend less time sitting in traffic with early hours.

On weekends I generally wake by 7 am naturally. I go to bed around 11:30 on those nights.
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

On this topic, I just happen to be reading a book (from library) "Why We Sleep" by neuro-scientist Matthew Walker. It is fascinating. Mother nature developed our sleep pattern over 3.5 Million years to renew, refresh and repair our bodies and brains. How sleep deprivation generally 7 hours or less has major adverse consequences on reaction time, learning, memory. And it contributes to other ailments such as obesity, cancer etc...
Last edited by sabhen on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

When I retired, I swore that - unless there were special circumstances involved - I was going to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night for the rest of my life. So, if I go to bed at 12:00 midnight, then I am up by 8-8:30 AM. If - as often happens - I stay up late finishing a novel or studying, then I might not get up until 10:30 or 11:00 AM. This retirement schedule is quite the change from when I would arise to go to work at 3:30 AM every day.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I wake between 6:30 to I0:00a.m..

Retired so no big schedule.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Originally started getting up 4 am while still working to hit the gym. Now retired kept the habit using time for reading, bogleheads, reflection and so on..... Bedtime typically by 8:30. Most folks think I am crazy getting up that early but it has worked well for me the last 10 years.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

For the past quarter century or so, I set my alarm for 15 minutes before my wife has to get up. I did this when I was still working outside the home, but I have continued the tradition for the almost two decades when I've been a Stay At Home Dad. I make coffee for us and, unless she comes downstairs before I'm finished, I bring a cup of coffee with milk to her in bed.

As I say, I've been doing this for many years, but my dear wife always acts as though it was an original and loving gesture every time I arrive with the coffee.

Usually this means that my alarm is set for 5:15. I often, especially in the spring and summer, wake up before then. It is easy now that the kids are out of the house, but I also hated to go to bed before the kids got home from whatever they were doing, so I sometimes felt like I was burning the candle at both ends.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

I still w*rk so my time will be different than most on this site. I’m out of bed and into the shower at 4:50 AM. Starting December 31st that will thankfully, finally change... :beer
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Depends on the time of the year for me. Right now in the heat of summer, I like to get up and be out the door a little before sunrise for a walk before things heat up. In the winter time, that doesn't matter since I try to go for the walk in mid afternoon when it is warmest. Other than that, it just has to be in time to get the kids on the school bus when school is in session.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sabhen wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:46 pm On this topic, I just happen to be reading a book (from library) "Why We Sleep" by neuro-scientist Matthew Walker. It is fascinating. Mother nature developed our sleep pattern over 3.5 Million years to renew, refresh and repair our bodies and brains. How sleep deprivation generally 7 hours or less has major adverse consequences on reaction time, learning, memory. And it contributes to other ailments such as obesity, cancer etc...
I was about to recommend this book, but now that you've beat me to it, I'll just strongly confirm your reference.

Sleep is one of the most important activities in your life. Sleep is not idleness. It's the work of your body and your subconscious mind to clean you up and prepare for the next day. 7.5-8 hours/night should be a target sleep duration for most people. Cutting it down is false economy.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

What is worse I wonder, 5-6 hours of sleep over a 10 year period, or gaining 20 pounds due to inactivity over the same time period. Are you robbing Peter to just pay Paul.....or is one truly better than the other?
Toons

Post by Toons »

It varies
6-7
When traveling...
8-9
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
hightower

Post by hightower »

Usually between 6-7. But, the more important thing is to get up after a full 7-9 hours of sleep! And be consistent with it. Adequate sleep is vital to life.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Frisco Kid wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:10 pm Originally started getting up 4 am while still working to hit the gym. Now retired kept the habit using time for reading, bogleheads, reflection and so on..... Bedtime typically by 8:30. Most folks think I am crazy getting up that early but it has worked well for me the last 10 years.
I'm almost exactly the same. Up at 3:50am, early morning reflection, balance the checkbook, walk the dog, and get to the gym by 5am. Leaves plenty of time for breakfast and shower before off to work.

Bedtime around 9pm or maybe a little later.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

My husband and I like to get into/out of work early. On M-F he wakes up around 4-5am naturally, I get up very much against my will at 5:30am to the alarm. On weekends he is always up before me, probably around 5-6am whereas I usually sleep until 7am. On weekdays we go to bed between 9-10pm and on weekends usually 11pm-Midnight. My husband almost always falls asleep on the couch around 7-8pm while we are watching a movie together. His job is much more physical than mine.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 pm What is worse I wonder, 5-6 hours of sleep over a 10 year period, or gaining 20 pounds due to inactivity over the same time period. Are you robbing Peter to just pay Paul.....or is one truly better than the other?
If you can't find 30 minutes a day to get in some exercise and the only alternative is decreasing sleep, you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle. My wife works full-time, is a full-time student 4.0 student, and the mother of two...and she trains ~7hrs/week (and is a semi-serious competitive cyclist). It's about priorities; I have a difficult time believing anybody is so busy throughout the day that there is nothing less important to cut back on. Most people could find the time just by becoming more efficient with how they prepare their meals, among about a million alternatives to getting less sleep.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 pm What is worse I wonder, 5-6 hours of sleep over a 10 year period, or gaining 20 pounds due to inactivity over the same time period. Are you robbing Peter to just pay Paul.....or is one truly better than the other?
Studies have shown that too little sleep affects metabolism and weight loss. This article suggests that dieters who skimped on sleep lost 55% less than those with a full nights rest and eating the same number of calories.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/sleep-and-weight-loss#1
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm
Studies have shown that too little sleep affects metabolism and weight loss. This article suggests that dieters who skimped on sleep lost 55% less than those with a full nights rest and eating the same number of calories.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/sleep-and-weight-loss#1
I actually have a little spin on the metabolism and weight loss issues with little sleep:
My career started off in a swing shift environment, working up to 70 hours some weeks, going from 12 hour days (6am-6pm) to nights (6pm to 6am), to having massive amounts of time off. I was warned over and over that my health would take a hit, but quite the opposite happened. I ended up running half marathons and lifting weights 4 times a week, in fact my day shifts were the only time I couldnt squeeze in a work out. I can tell you I was probably only getting 4.5-5 hours a sleep during my shift work days/nights, but I was focused to stay healthy and gain muscle.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

My husband passed away in April. I never was a good sleeper but it's been worse now that I'm home alone. I try to make sure that I am awake by 9am. I've discovered that I really like lying in bed until 9:30 or 10:00 with my iPad, catching up on the latest news or doing a crossword puzzle. I'm a lot more awake at that point and ready to take on the world.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
daggerboard

Post by daggerboard »

Still working here.

Up at 4:15a M-Fr. In car by 4:30, at gym by 5:10, in office by 6:45-7:15 depending on whether I have early meetings and how snappy my workout is. Out of office by 5pm 90% of time. If I go to work later, I add another 30-60 minutes to my daily 1:45 of commuting, which I try to avoid at all costs.

In bed by 10-10:30p, some days earlier if really tired.

On weekends or rare home office days I try to sleep until tortured awake by kids, usually 6am.

Wish I could sleep more, but struggle to balance, sleep, time w kids, work, and exercise. Something has to give. I dont have the will power to exercise after kids go to bed, need morning routine and threat of massive traffic on way to work to get me out of bed. I have been doing this for 4 years, and feel that it has worked better than any prior set up. Moving closer to work not an option.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm I was once told that if a parent wants to accomplish things, they must create time rather than find it. Heading this advice I have been waking up around 4am to get in a quick jog, weight lifting (none of the which is anything to brag about, but it is better than nothing), Bible and prayer time, and just a little bit of peace before the never ending errands begin. This new habit had me thinking when other people get up, and what their routines are. Just curious, thank you for your time.
I’m with you. I don’t set an alarm and just wake up when my body tells me it’s ready which is around 4 or 5am. Waking up that early to a peaceful house is the key to my sanity. I generally go to bed by 8:30-9. My kids go to bed at 8 and I follow shortly. Because I go to bed so early I generally take that time to do chores like folding laundry, pick up toys, bathrooms and/or sweep floors. Sometimes I grocery shop. Ihave been trying to incorporate exercise with a brisk 20-30min walk. This is not an issue over the summer but when school is in session I often did not have time. I may try setting up an alarm to guarantee that o have time for the walk. Creating time not finding time as you stated earlier.
warner25

Post by warner25 »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pmIf you can't find 30 minutes a day to get in some exercise and the only alternative is decreasing sleep, you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle. My wife works full-time, is a full-time student 4.0 student, and the mother of two...and she trains ~7hrs/week...
I agree with you about priorities and finding 30 minutes a day to exercise; there are many ways to do it. But what does your wife's schedule actually look like? Is she getting 8 hours of sleep too? The hours for all that just don't seem to add up.

Is anyone here the type of person who only needs 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I would crash on the second day of that, but I've heard of many CEOs, presidents/prime ministers, and military flag officers who seem to keep such a schedule. It seems impossible to compete with people like that, which I guess is how they've reached the top.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

warner25 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm
stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pmIf you can't find 30 minutes a day to get in some exercise and the only alternative is decreasing sleep, you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle. My wife works full-time, is a full-time student 4.0 student, and the mother of two...and she trains ~7hrs/week...
I agree with you about priorities and finding 30 minutes a day to exercise; there are many ways to do it. But what does your wife's schedule actually look like? Is she getting 8 hours of sleep too? The hours for all that just don't seem to add up.

Is anyone here the type of person who only needs 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I would crash on the second day of that, but I've heard of many CEOs, presidents/prime ministers, and military flag officers who seem to keep such a schedule. It seems impossible to compete with people like that, which I guess is how they've reached the top.
Yes, she gets ~8hrs of sleep a night. How exactly don't the numbers add up? I'm living it, I can tell you they do. She's a full-time student at a local university, which is less than a mile from her office (3-4 miles from our home) and she rarely has more than a single class per semester that is not online. Quite a bit of her cycling training is done by leaving 20-30 minutes early to work (on her bike) and she is able to do strength training about twice a week on her lunch break. I do handle a lot of the household things so she can focus on her studies nights and weekends.

People always make the excuse that they simply don't have the time, but they magically have the time to spend 2hrs+ a day eating out or watching TV or... We don't eat out, we have organized a system so we spend less a week as a family on shopping and food prep than I bet most families spend every single day (we've done similar things with laundry - it is about organization and preparation), exercise is integrated it our work commutes, and screen time is a few hours a week (max). It's about priorities; we are very cognizant about sleep so that we can maximize productivity during waking hours. It's a little hectic now, but school isn't forever.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

M-F I am up by 4:20 to go to the gym. Today was an exception, as I did not sleep well last night due to noisy neighborhood fireworks. So, I woke up today at 4:15ish, reset the alarm for 5:15, then got up. Most weekends I am up by 6 in the summer so that I can work out during the cooler part of the day. I am typically in bed by 9 pm.

The sleep experts will probably disagree, but I am a reasonable napper (only on weekends, sadly) and an occasional nap does not seem to interfere with my sleep at night. I am a morning person but would prefer to get up a little bit later, but my desire to exercise wins most days. :D Power of habit and all of that...