What time do you get up in the morning?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
warner25

Re: What time do you get up in the morning?

Post by warner25 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:34 pm
How exactly don't the numbers add up?
Not arguing, my thought was just this: A full time professional job is often 50-60 hours per week, especially if you count commuting and frequent "working lunches." Being a full-time student is another 30-40 hours per week, assuming ~10 hours of contact and 2-3 hours of preparation per contact hour. Add 8 hours of sleep, and that might allow less than 2 hours per day for everything else: preparing food, eating, cleaning, other chores and errands, personal hygiene, exercise, religious services, etc. And I know that doing things with/for kids can expand to fill any time available.

I see that being able to combine the commute with exercise on a bicycle, taking asynchronous online courses, and being relieved of many family/home chores is probably what makes her schedule possible. It's impressive anyway.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Usually 5:30AM. Spouse is at work by 6 (work from home), and we've arranged our lives so most days he's done by 2:30 so we'll have afternoons relatively free with the kids, so I like to get my run or weights workout in early before the kid chaos starts around 6:30. Ideally I'd be in bed by 10 but sometimes work and home improvement projects skew that. With this kitchen remodel forget burning the candle at both ends because we melted that sucker a while ago.

Life is much better with a minimal commute.

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 pm

daggerboard wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm
Still working here.

Up at 4:15a M-Fr. In car by 4:30, at gym by 5:10, in office by 6:45-7:15 depending on whether I have early meetings and how snappy my workout is. Out of office by 5pm 90% of time. If I go to work later, I add another 30-60 minutes to my daily 1:45 of commuting, which I try to avoid at all costs.

In bed by 10-10:30p, some days earlier if really tired.

On weekends or rare home office days I try to sleep until tortured awake by kids, usually 6am.

Wish I could sleep more, but struggle to balance, sleep, time w kids, work, and exercise. Something has to give. I dont have the will power to exercise after kids go to bed, need morning routine and threat of massive traffic on way to work to get me out of bed. I have been doing this for 4 years, and feel that it has worked better than any prior set up. Moving closer to work not an option.
Same kind of schedule as you and same trouble balancing competing priorities. How is this working for you? Has the 4 years taken a toll? Genuinely interested.

We recently moved back to the US and my commute went from 30 minutes to 1:30 each way (walk plus train), or a 35 minute drive if I leave home before 5:30a/leave work after 7pm.

Mix this with demanding schedule in new senior-level role and I'm lucky to get an hour with my kids and an hour with my wife every day. And also feel like I'm not putting in the time needed to be successful in office...

Sleep - about 6 and a half a night; wake up call sometime around 6am.

I catch up on weekends (if kids don't wake me) or when I'm traveling. Intentionally book hotels very near office and don't do 6am flights / very late arrivals anymore. Great to catch up but then time with kids/wife dwindles to if schedules allow us to FaceTime...

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm

On weekdays (except summertime), I get up at 6:20 and leave by 7:00. My morning routine is to read the news and check email on my phone for about 15 minutes. Then it’s a mad dash to put in my contact lenses, brush teeth, shave, scoop cat litter, shower, get dressed, and run downstairs. Once on the bottom floor, I make a cup of coffee, grab my lunch from the fridge, and get a granola bar and/or apple to eat in the car. I’m out the door by 7 a.m. and at the Park & Ride to meet my carpool partner by 7:15. We get into one car and arrive to work around 7:50 (give or take 5-10 minutes).

On weekends and during the summer, I usually get up closer to 7:30. Then I lay in bed for a while being lazy, finally get up and get ready for the day, and then go downstairs to have breakfast with my wife and daughter.

For half the days of the year, I’m moving as fast as I can in the mornings. The other half are much more relaxing.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:04 pm

While I was commuting to the office my alarm went off at 7:30. Now I work full time at home, alarm is set for 8:15. I usually roll into bed around midnight, if I try to go to bed earlier I'll just wake up a few hours later.

Allixi

Post by Allixi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Sometimes my cat decides to stomp on my face or bite my feet at 5-5:30 AM
But I usually get out of bed between 6-6:30
If I'm sleeping in, could be late as 9:30

jester14

Post by jester14 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:16 pm

29, still working. Typically 5am.

I'm currently in a snooze rut that I'm trying to break through. That's seriously the hardest thing for me.

My diet is pretty clean and I could always exercise more, but I think it's just a perpetual sleep shortage. Trying to do better here for my overall health.

Jester

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 pm

BradJ wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm
I have been waking up around 4am
There’s a 4 o’clock in the morning?

FRWildcat

Post by FRWildcat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 pm

I get up about 8:30-ish, and to bed about one am. Frequently I will take a nap in the afternoon for an hour or two.

jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 pm

I typically sleep 4 to 5 hours a day/night, depending on work schedule. I work for an electric utility and keep very odd hours. It’s not a compulsion or anything like that, if I’m tired I will sleep more, if not, I’ll sleep less. I know of all the studies about sleep, but I have never experienced what many claim. I would agree that it is easier to be productive, when less time is spent sleeping.

I think the secret is diet. I don’t eat much sugar, in particular, added sugar. My diet isn’t as tight as it used to be, but it is still pretty good. Anytime that I do eat sugar, it zaps the energy right from me. Your body becomes extremely efficient when your eating the right foods.

Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt.

I’d also like to mention that I abused drugs and alcohol for 10 years of my life, and that in a completely messed up, backward way, may have positively contributed to my proficiency keeping the hours that I do. I essentially was used to staying up all night partying.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:22 pm

7.30 am everyday. In bed by 11-12 at night usually. (local time)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 pm

What time do I get up in the morning?
When I was working?
5:00
Now, retired?
6:00-6:30. (wish I could sleep longer but can't. Usually when light appears outside :shock: )

How do I get up in the morning?

Reallllllly Slowwwwww. :D

aloha
j :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm

seamonkey wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 pm
BradJ wrote:
Yes.
It only happens when there are planes to catch.
:shock:

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:45 pm

I got up around 5 am for 30 years. Now that I'm retired, I don't even set the alarm. I hardly ever get up before 9 and I rarely get out of the house before 11 - it's so sweet.

So when you're rushing to work at 6 and the streets are empty but some retired person walking their dog makes you stop so they can cross the street in the crosswalk, THAT'S NOT ME!

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:45 pm
I got up around 5 am for 30 years. Now that I'm retired, I don't even set the alarm. I hardly ever get up before 9 and I rarely get out of the house before 11 - it's so sweet.

So when you're rushing to work at 6 and the streets are empty but some retired person walking their dog makes you stop so they can cross the street in the crosswalk, THAT'S NOT ME!
That's what I am aiming for :D

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 am

I get up naturally between 3:30 and 4:00. It has been like this for many years, and I never set an alarm. I really wish I could sleep later but just can't do it. When I'm up, I'm up. I've learned to take advantage of these many hours before work. Read, do morning prayer, exercise, watch the sunrise, clean, cook. The result is that I got a whole lot done and I treasure the peace and quiet. The downside is that I am ready for bed by 8 or so, not great for nightlife I'll tell you!

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:41 am

I retired early three years ago and for 30 years I woke up at 5AM. I cannot break it. Typically going to bed around 10:30. No Naps.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 am

Naps are something you either love or hate. I’ve never felt rested after one, so I don’t take them.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 am

2am to hit the gym. On vacation i take it easy, like today when I’m up at 3:30 to hit the hiking trails.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 am

Freefun wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 am
2am to hit the gym. On vacation i take it easy, like today when I’m up at 3:30 to hit the hiking trails.
Impressive!

jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 am

BradJ wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 am
Freefun wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 am
Impressive!
Do you happen to work in radio?

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 am

BradJ wrote:
I was once told that if a parent wants to accomplish things, they must create time rather than find it. Heading this advice I have been waking up around 4am to get in a quick jog, weight lifting (none of the which is anything to brag about, but it is better than nothing), Bible and prayer time, and just a little bit of peace before the never ending errands begin. This new habit had me thinking when other people get up, and what their routines are. Just curious, thank you for your time.
Waking up early may be the main thing that keeps me sane as a parent. I try to get up in the 5 o'clock hour each day. Usually to go for a run, but sometimes to read the news and catch up on things. It does mean going to bed earlier; I hit the pillow not long after my kids fall asleep.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 am

warner25 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pm
If you can't find 30 minutes a day to get in some exercise and the only alternative is decreasing sleep, you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle. My wife works full-time, is a full-time student 4.0 student, and the mother of two...and she trains ~7hrs/week...
I agree with you about priorities and finding 30 minutes a day to exercise; there are many ways to do it. But what does your wife's schedule actually look like? Is she getting 8 hours of sleep too? The hours for all that just don't seem to add up.

Is anyone here the type of person who only needs 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I would crash on the second day of that, but I've heard of many CEOs, presidents/prime ministers, and military flag officers who seem to keep such a schedule. It seems impossible to compete with people like that, which I guess is how they've reached the top.
My father is like this. He went to bed typically around 11 or 12am and awoke at 4 or 5am. Without an alarm. He did this for decades.
I need eight hours. I could sustain less and have for a short period of time, but I suffer during those periods. I just try to make the most of the time I have.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 am

NorCalDad wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 am
BradJ wrote:
I was once told that if a parent wants to accomplish things, they must create time rather than find it. Heading this advice I have been waking up around 4am to get in a quick jog, weight lifting (none of the which is anything to brag about, but it is better than nothing), Bible and prayer time, and just a little bit of peace before the never ending errands begin. This new habit had me thinking when other people get up, and what their routines are. Just curious, thank you for your time.
Waking up early may be the main thing that keeps me sane as a parent. I try to get up in the 5 o'clock hour each day. Usually to go for a run, but sometimes to read the news and catch up on things. It does mean going to bed earlier; I hit the pillow not long after my kids fall asleep.
+1.

I have friends that tackle home or work-related tasks after kids go to sleep. Never worked for me. My kids exhaust me so much by the end of the day. It was "me" time but mostly "tired me" time. Waking up before they do gives me the "me" time that I need and it's "refreshed me".

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am

xenochrony wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:03 pm
I awaken naturally every morning, so I get out of bed shortly after my eyes open which can vary from 5:30am-7:30am. Go to bed at 10:00pm 7 days per week, though I typically dont enter sleep until 10:30pm-11:00pm. Makes for a very restful 7-9 hrs of sleep each night. No alarm clock in over 5 years, and I do work FT and have kids/dog. :shock:
This sounds like me, minus the dog, and I will sometimes go to bed as early as 9Pm if i am tired.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:00 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree that waking up can maintain your sanity. The only issue with going to bed and waking up early is that it leaves very little quality (not to mention "fun") time with the spouse. I say once the kids are down, and all the errands are completed, its 9:00 and I am out.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:12 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm
seamonkey wrote:
BradJ wrote:
Yes.
I do all I can to avoid catching early flights. I may chose a later flight with stops instead of an earlier direct one. I'll not pay for a business class but I'll pay for an economy flight that leaves later. And when I have a morning flight from Europe, I stay at an airport hotel.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pejp

Post by pejp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:58 am

Usually around 5:30am. If I could change one thing about myself, it'd be to have the willpower to consistently get up at 4:30am. I feel less tired, I have time, I usually run or go to the gym, but I just can't seem to do it consistently for very long. I'm planning on moving my alarm back by 15mins, and then seeing if I can do at least a month or so, before moving it back again, with 4:30am being the target.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:12 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm
seamonkey wrote:
BradJ wrote:
Yes.
I do all I can to avoid catching early flights. I may chose a later flight with stops instead of an earlier direct one. I'll not pay for a business class but I'll pay for an economy flight that leaves later. And when I have a morning flight from Europe, I stay at an airport hotel.

Victoria
So true.
DW and I would rather stay at a pleasant hotel near to the airport or within shuttle distance, overnight, to make travel at a more reasonable pace enjoyable.
j :D

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Now that I'm retired, I have the alarm set for 9am. I allow myself a few "snoozes" as desired. I know that if I just go without, my schedule will get out of whack pretty easily. This way, if I get to sleep by 1-1:30 I'll get a full night's. It's been working well.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm

BradJ wrote:
Also 4AM. There are no demands on my time; the world is mine
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Depends on when I go to sleep. Most of the time it is between 10 AM and noon but can be as early as 7:30 AM and as late as 1:30 PM. Usually if I wake up before 9 AM I at least try to go back to sleep for a while.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm

jester14 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:16 pm
I'm currently in a snooze rut that I'm trying to break through. That's seriously the hardest thing for me.

Jester
In college, I had an alarm clock that did not have a snooze button. You turned it off, it was off. It made me get up right away at risk of missing class. It created a good habit out of necessity.

As a side note, I wish I had kept the thing. Apparently it has become a collectible:
https://www.ebay.com/i/163128353559?rt= ... 3128353559

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:55 pm

For the early risers here, I have to ask: have you ever used the Snooze button? I bet I have used it maybe 5 times.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:05 pm

BradJ wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:55 pm
For the early risers here, I have to ask: have you ever used the Snooze button? I bet I have used it maybe 5 times.
I had a roommate in a college dormitory who would use it repeatedly, almost indefinitely. There was a big discussion about that as our schedules often differed.

The underlying issue of early vs. late risers may be one at least partially of genetics. Most "night owls" probably aren't surprised by that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=early+v ... rs+genetic

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:28 pm

BradJ wrote:
I don't use an alarm. I consider it cruel and unusual punishment.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I work full time so on workdays my alarm (radio and not buzzing!) goes off at 7am. I hit snooze once (3 minutes) and then listen to the news and maybe a song or two before rolling out of bed so I can be at work by 8:30am. Luckily I live within 10 minutes of my job so I don't have to rush! On the weekends I don't set the alarm but I'm usually up by 9 or 9:30am. I find working out after work is best for me since the gym is at my place or work. then once i'm done, i'm done. For me it's easier to stay longer at work then get up earlier to work out. I have started using DVDs at home to use my stability ball. No kids or spouse so once i'm up on weekends I usually use saturdays to work out and get errands done. I try to keep sundays free so I can have a day to just chill before going back to work.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Still working, but work from home most days. I'm a morning person and am up by 4:30. Scan news, a little prayer time, workout, coffee. Best time of the day for me, before wife and daughters wake up around 6. I' usually fall asleep around 9.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Exafchick wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 pm
I work full time so on workdays my alarm (radio and not buzzing!) goes off at 7am. I hit snooze once (3 minutes)
Three minute snooze? Mine's nine minutes.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:59 pm

BradJ wrote:
Never snooze. Get out of bed at 3:50 every weekday morning. Occasionally wake before alarm.

Snoozing means that wifey would wake twice, instead of once. As they say, "happy wife, happy life", and I do want a happy wife/life.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Wake up time is relative to bed time. I generally go to bed at 11 and generally get up 6 or 6:30 AM. Sometimes I make up a few hours by sleeping in on the weekend if I've lost time due to work or travel.
As others have stated - lack of sleep can be more detrimental to your health than the extra exercise you may be getting by creating more awake time by forcing yourself up earlier than you should be. Unless you are one of the rare folks who only requires 3-4 hours of sleep make sure you are getting 7-8 hours nightly.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm

6am.

Out of bed, dressed and heading to work by 6:15
Arrive at work 6:35-6:40
Gym till about 7:30
Work till 4~4:30 and head home
Home before 5.

I hear all these parents complain that they have no time.... But if you ask probing questions usually it turns out that they dont go till work till 8 or 9... fighting hours of traffic, then not able to leave till 5 or 6, forcing them to fight traffic again on the way home - barely making it home in time to see their kids before bedtime.

Never understood why all that headache was worth sleeping a little later in the morning... :confused I love mornings... Grabbing that giant mug of coffee after the gym is a highlight of my day. :sharebeer

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm

jharkin wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm
I hear all these parents complain that they have no time.... But if you ask probing questions usually it turns out that they dont go till work till 8 or 9... fighting hours of traffic, then not able to leave till 5 or 6, forcing them to fight traffic again on the way home - barely making it home in time to see their kids before bedtime.

Never understood why all that headache was worth sleeping a little later in the morning... :confused I love mornings... Grabbing that giant mug of coffee after the gym is a highlight of my day. :sharebeer
It's all about priorities. The huge majority of us aren't working 100hrs/wk, if you can't find an hour a day to do something that is really important to you...then the harsh reality is that it isn't really that important to you. The wife and I totally designed our life around two things that are really important to us: spending time with our kids and health. These two priorities determined our decisions about where to buy a home, where (and when) to work, how to organize household responsibilities, our leisure time activities, etc.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:54 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm

It's all about priorities. The huge majority of us aren't working 100hrs/wk, if you can't find an hour a day to do something that is really important to you...then the harsh reality is that it isn't really that important to you. The wife and I totally designed our life around two things that are really important to us: spending time with our kids and health. These two priorities determined our decisions about where to buy a home, where (and when) to work, how to organize household responsibilities, our leisure time activities, etc.
Oh, dont get me wrong... I dont work 100 either. I do my 40 and get home. My point being I know people who complain they have no time, but if you dig you find they are not actually working 100 hours either.... they just sleep late and roll into work late... and thus have to stay late...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 pm
Depends on when I go to sleep. Most of the time it is between 10 AM and noon but can be as early as 7:30 AM and as late as 1:30 PM. Usually if I wake up before 9 AM I at least try to go back to sleep for a while.
Does your sleep schedule reflect your name "Pajamas" or vice versa?

Victoria

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:34 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Victoria
I just happened to be wearing pajamas when I created an account to post on Bogleheads and happened to notice that I was wearing them when I was trying to think of a username. I don't remember what time of the day that was, so maybe the latter?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:34 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Victoria
I just happened to be wearing pajamas when I created an account to post on Bogleheads and happened to notice that I was wearing them when I was trying to think of a username. I don't remember what time of the day that was, so maybe the latter?
The latter fits better. But you need to add a margin of wakefulness unless you have created the account in your sleep.

Victoria

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:50 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

The latter fits better. But you need to add a margin of wakefulness unless you have created the account in your sleep.

Victoria
Sometimes I post only half awake. . . obviously. 8-)

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:05 pm

warner25 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Is anyone here the type of person who only needs 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I would crash on the second day of that, but I've heard of many CEOs, presidents/prime ministers, and military flag officers who seem to keep such a schedule. It seems impossible to compete with people like that, which I guess is how they've reached the top.
I've heard this too. I know Oprah gets about 5.5 hrs a day and Martha Stewart gets something like 4/night.

Personally, I need about 7-8 hours a night. I wish I could get up earlier because I get more done, but I stay up too late. In the summer I go to bed around midnight and get up a 7:45 or 8. During the school year, I'm up at 6:45 and try to go to bed before 11:30.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.