Cannot install hardwood on curved floor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
scorp_pccorp

Cannot install hardwood on curved floor?

Post by scorp_pccorp » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 am

Hi folks,

I had HomeDepot do a measure for hardwood installation on the 2nd floor at my house. I have a foyer which is curved following the contour of the staircase. HomeDepot called back and said they cannot install hardwood there because of the curve and refused to provide me a quote. I was really surprised by that because I thought I saw hardwood all over in curved spaces in lots of buildings.

Is it true that hardwood cannot be installed in curved areas? Or is it a HomeDepot contractor limitation due to pricing or something? I asked the guy and he could not answer.

Should I go check with other hardwood installers (not big box)? If so, do you have any suggestions for good installers in the Chicago area? Thanks.

barnaclebob

Re: Cannot install hardwood on curved floor?

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 am

Call real hardwood installers.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:14 am

By curved I assume you mean like a "C" is curved on the screen and that the floor is still level and flat. The only issue would be the end cuts would need to match the curve vs. a straight cut unless your baseboard is extremely thick and the curve is not that extreme. I can see why HD may not want to do this as its not "normal" in a standard home but this could be easily done with a scroll saw to get the "curve" into the edge of the boards. I would think most installers if contacted directly would have no issues doing this and you can buy a saw for <$300

If your wanting the boards to follow the curve......can't help you

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 am

It can be done by a skilled tradesman. This speaks more to the skill of the people working for Home Depot.

Ralph

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 am
Call real hardwood installers.
+1
Currently having hardwood installed on my main level and it's all about the cuts and the skill of the installer. Sounds like HD doesn't pay enough to get quality installers. BTW - when I shopped for flooring, a private flooring company beat the pants off the big box stores in price as well as install.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 am

There will certainly be more waste and more labor (cutting and perhaps templating) but it can be done. Although I have found the skill level of the "non-licensed" trades to be declining

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:39 am

What they all said. Look for a local flooring company.

I have had engineered hardwood installed with a curved boundary. They also shaved the thickness to get good height matching.

Oh, and yes, the prices were very comparable or a bit less for the local guy, and he offered a discount for cash payment.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't think this has to do with the skill of the installers at Home Depot but rather their tool set. The installers I have seen go out with only the required tools to do a straight forward installation job. To install on a curve, you need a few more specialty tools to make it look good. Also, it is more labor intensive so it might be simply because their calculator to estimate the job doesn't adequately handle curves. Anyone who does this for a living however, should have those required tools to install on a curve and give you a good quote on labor involved.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:02 pm

scorp_pccorp wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 am
I had HomeDepot do a measure for hardwood installation on the 2nd floor at my house. I have a foyer which is curved following the contour of the staircase. HomeDepot called back and said they cannot install hardwood there because of the curve and refused to provide me a quote. I was really surprised by that because I thought I saw hardwood all over in curved spaces in lots of buildings.

Is it true that hardwood cannot be installed in curved areas?
It is not true.
Should I go check with other hardwood installers (not big box)?
Don't home depot your hardwood floors. Find an installer with real experience with curved floors. Ask for pictures and references of those curves. Expect the job to take longer and involve more labor.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:15 pm

At one end of our living room we have a brick hearth with a fan shaped curve across the front. The random width maple flooring our contractor put in when we built the house runs down the length of the living room, with the random length pieces ending against the fan curve. I wasn't around the day they put in the final pieces of flooring, but the ends of the the random width boards (3", 5" and 6") are cut to exactly match both the overall fan curve and the indentations of the mortar lines between the individual bricks.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

My experience is the HD installers don't want to do anything out of the ordinary. I had an experience with french doors to the patio where the HD guy said it couldn't be done. Hired my own guys, and they did it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:42 pm

When I had my front door installed, I got a quote from Lowe's and purchased the door from there and had them install it. When the installer came he discovered the wall he was putting the prehung door into was concrete block. He was not happy about that and said the quote should have been for more due to that. I shrugged my shoulders. i don't remember if he had a masonry drill bit or had to go buy one, but he got it done without too much of a delay.

I think you are running into a similar issue of either the quote should be for more than either they can or are allowed to or the installer either can't install it well (tools or skill?) or just doesn't want to do it.

Another place will do the work for you. Keep looking.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:07 pm

My nephew is a very skilled long term carpenter (his profession) and together we installed the wood floor in our living room. I have a long curved hearth on the curved fireplace, which I thought would be a nightmare when installing the floor. He measured the pad and the flooring, drew a line for the cut, and undercut the hearth about an inch deep to the exact height of the new flooring. The boards slid snugly under the hearth, so no exact cutting of the boards was necessary. Looking at the hearth you would have no idea that the boards are going under it, but rather that the transition is seamless, with no visible gap. The hearth is plaster, painted white, and about 2' tall, topped by brickwork. Having seen his other work I have no doubt that he could have cut the boards exactly as well.

More than one way to skin a cat, or so they say. This may be an option in the OP's case, but I wouldn't volunteer the idea unless the installer has done it before with success.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 pm

I think that all Home Depot installers are local. Each branch uses their own though some may share installers. Installers at another branch may be able to do it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 pm
I think that all Home Depot installers are local. Each branch uses their own though some may share installers. Installers at another branch may be able to do it.
They subcontract out to local installers, if that's what you mean.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Yes, and the answer you receive from one installer may be different to another. I had some appliances installed by Lowe's and it seemed that there were a number of installers doing the same type of installation. They used whoever was available. This was at the same store.