How to tip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
masonstone

How to tip

Post by masonstone »

Do you tip a percentage of the whole tab or the pre-tax tab?
3funder

Re: How to tip

Post by 3funder »

I tip 20% of the entire tab.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

20% on the entire tab. Sometimes more if great service or special accommodation.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

3funder wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:15 pm I tip 20% of the entire tab.
+1
I clearly remember being working poor years ago and then working paycheck-to-paycheck. Today I tip 20% of the whole tab (and more if it's a small tab or for service that is excellent) and am very, very thankful I can do it.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I typically tip 15% +/- on the total bill.

If my wife and I split a meal (which we often do) I'll tip as if we purchased two meals. I'll also sometimes reduce or increase the percentage substantially in exceptional circumstances.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

15-20% of pre-tax for me.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

20% of the total bill
youngpleb

Post by youngpleb »

20%-25% pre-tax for adequate to good service, down to 15% for bad service.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm I typically tip 15% +/- on the total bill.

If my wife and I split a meal (which we often do) I'll tip as if we purchased two meals. ...
So if you split a $20 meal (including tax), do you tip 15% of the total bill (15% x $20), or do you tip as if it were $40?
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

masonstone wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm Do you tip a percentage of the whole tab or the pre-tax tab?
Both :) (if I am at home in the state of Oregon)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

JoinToday wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:51 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm I typically tip 15% +/- on the total bill.

If my wife and I split a meal (which we often do) I'll tip as if we purchased two meals. ...
So if you split a $20 meal (including tax), do you tip 15% of the total bill (15% x $20), or do you tip as if it were $40?
As if it were $40. The server is serving us both whether we eat one or two meals. We often eat at Mexican restaurants and the checks are not large. I don't want penalize the server for our small appetites (actually reasonable but that's another discussion).
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I notice that most restaurants that print the suggested tip amounts on your tab (18% of your tab is $X, 20% of your tab is $Y, etc.) generally do so based on the pre-tax amount. That seems reasonable, as tax is not part of the product/service rendered by the restaurant/wait staff, and you wouldn't tip less if there were say a tax holiday.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:12 pm I notice that most restaurants that print the suggested tip amounts on your tab (18% of your tab is $X, 20% of your tab is $Y, etc.) generally do so based on the pre-tax amount. That seems reasonable, as tax is not part of the product/service rendered by the restaurant/wait staff, and you wouldn't tip less if there were say a tax holiday.

Agree.

Tipping on the total bill effectively results in your sales tax being applied to services, except that the payee is not the tax authority.

Sales tax does not even have an indirect relationship to the type or amount of service rendered. However, it is quite the incentive for those paid through tips on the total bill to vote for every sales tax increase that hits the ballot.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

I tip on the full bill post tax.
We aren't talking big money either way so not sure why folks get so hung up on this (or at least they did in another thread. If your bill is $100 and the tax is 5% and you tip 20% you end up giving an extra dollar - if this extra dollar breaks the bank for you then perhaps your shouldn't be dining out where the bill is $100.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Usually the rounded dollar below 20% on entire total
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Generally 20-25% on the total bill. 30-50% on very small checks (breakfast at the diner).
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Theoretically I tip on the pre-tax amount. What would tax have to do with the tip?

In practice, since I retired, I generally tip 20%-25% (or more) and round up to the next dollar. Life has been good to us.

Recently at a club, we received bad service. Waitress brought the salad and like 60 seconds later brought the entree. I mentioned it to her at the time and her response was she is busy. In spite of the attitude, I still tipped 15% plus. Getting soft since I retired.

I notice some places where they have the tip calculated for you base it on post tax. I find that annoying but it does not affect how I tip.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn »

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

20% on entire tab so long as service was good.

I notice some cities are trying to have the servers paid minimum wage, but I think that hurts the really good waiters/waitresses. My daughters waited tables while in college, and they made substantially more than minimum wage, and much more that the current $15.00/hour drive in some locals.

A good waiter or waitress can easily make more than $15.00/hour in plenty of restaurants. Daughters did 20 years ago.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

Since we can now afford it -- 20% of the total bill for the usual good service (most are), 25% if beyond good, and 30-40% if they did something really extra and made it a special meal for us, or also if it's a small bill. Rarely if service is horrible and ruined the experience, 0% (and look them in the eye). Almost all of the time it's 20-25% of the total bill for us.

That said, I see nothing wrong with folks tipping 15% on pre-tax. It's just at this stage in our lives, it sometimes feels better to us to put in a bit more for hard working folks since it doesn't impact our bottom line significantly.
J295

Post by J295 »

20-50% of approximate total.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

20% on the pre-tax amount, I go a little higher if the service was unusually good, or if it is a place I eat at frequently enough to recognize the servers (and they recognize me) so I know they will go out of their way for me should I need them to.

If I have a problem with the food or service which I couldn't resolve, I will speak with the manager if I have to, or go to the restaurant's website and provide feedback there. I always get a reply (and, if I request, a phone call) so I can have a longer discussion if need be.
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Usually 15% and pre-tax for reasons others have already said. Actually I find the whole tipping culture rather strange. I seem to be in the minority but I have always been uncomfortable with the notion I should be tipping the service more than the food. I go out to eat primarily for the food (pretty obvious statement I realize). Unless the service is unusually good or bad there is very little difference to me but slight differences in the food can make a big difference to me. And tipping primarily for service seems to have led to some rather annoying behavior such as making sure my water glass is never less than 3/4 full even after I tell them that topping it off is unnecessary or interrupting me several times asking me if everything is OK when I only want to be left alone to enjoy my meal. A few places here are moving toward fixed gratuity added to bill & shared among all staff. This is probably a good idea. I do feel sympathy toward under paid employees and am willing to pay more for the meal especially if it will place more emphasis on the food and less on trivial aspects of the experience. In any case I do not see that I should tip the tax.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Pre-tax.

I do tip well and probably too much sometimes, but I also think tipping culture is out of control in the USA. Tipping on tax doesn't make sense to me.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 pm Usually 15% and pre-tax for reasons others have already said. Actually I find the whole tipping culture rather strange. I seem to be in the minority but I have always been uncomfortable with the notion I should be tipping the service more than the food. I go out to eat primarily for the food (pretty obvious statement I realize). Unless the service is unusually good or bad there is very little difference to me but slight differences in the food can make a big difference to me. And tipping primarily for service seems to have led to some rather annoying behavior such as making sure my water glass is never less than 3/4 full even after I tell them that topping it off is unnecessary or interrupting me several times asking me if everything is OK when I only want to be left alone to enjoy my meal. A few places here are moving toward fixed gratuity added to bill & shared among all staff. This is probably a good idea. I do feel sympathy toward under paid employees and am willing to pay more for the meal especially if it will place more emphasis on the food and less on trivial aspects of the experience. In any case I do not see that I should tip the tax.
I agree...leave me alone and let me eat. If I need something, I'll flag you down.
AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn »

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm
ClevrChico wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:30 pmI also think tipping culture is out of control in the USA.
I agree, and I love traveling abroad where I don't have to worry about it. That said, US culture is what it is, and there's not much I can do to change it. The one thing I will NOT do is punish the server for things outside his/her control - whether issues in the kitchen, state tax policy, federal wage law, US cultural issues. whatever. It's not their fault.

Like everyone else, the server is just trying to make an honest living, pay their bills, etc.
Yep, I agree. I tip well at the traditional venues. But I do draw the line at counter service.

I did delivery for a year, starting at sub-minimum wage and few tipped. If everyone had tipped even a little, it would have made a big difference. And I wouldn't have quit so soon.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (tipping).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
student

Post by student »

I tip pretax. A good guideline is from Emily Post Institute. http://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/
Last edited by student on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

20% of the total bill. Round down for not so great service and round up for great service. And rarely less than $4-$5 (some places around here are very inexpensive).
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Invest4lt wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:26 pm 20% on the entire tab. Sometimes more if great service or special accommodation.
+1
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Pre-tax. There is no service being provided for a sales tax mandated by the government.

However, if I had $500k in disposable income, I’d be more than happy to tip more than a standard.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I was talking a few weeks ago with a coworker who works as a waitress on the weekends. At a place like Red Robin or Ruby Tuesday.

She has a degree in some sort of business related field, and makes pretty good money here working in purchasing. She's been doing it since her days in high school, about 10 years now. She says likes the extra money.

She said she makes about $30-40 per hour on average, and the average tip is about 12% of pretax total. It varies with the season and the state of the economy. She also pointed out that with 10 years of seniority, she only works the prime shifts now. Someone working the less busy shifts might make half what she makes.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

15%-20% pretax—usually rounded up to the nearest dollar.

15% for “bad” service, 18% for good, 20% for very good.

Last night we had really really slow service. We ordered a drink, 20 minutes later it showed up. She’d be “back in a second” to take our order, 20 minutes later she came to take the order. I left $6 on a $38 bill at a restaurant where a couple sandwiches and 4 beers took 1.5 hours.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:00 pm
masonstone wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm Do you tip a percentage of the whole tab or the pre-tax tab?
Both :) (if I am at home in the state of Oregon)
Same, and when not in Oregon, I look at the pre-tax total, because why would I tip waitstaff better away from home?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

15% doesn't send a "bad service" message IMO.

If I get bad service, I will note the specific issue right on the credit card receipt. 20 min for drinks, 20 more to take order would be 10%. If they said the kitchen was really slow, I'd ask to see manager so waiter wasn't penalized. For awful service, I don't tip AND often ask for manager.

My standard top range is 15 - 20%. Rarely do I exceed that.

Always pre-tax . Adjusted for things like $5 off burger Tuesdays.

Surprised at the number of tipping threads that get started.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

15% for bad service?
This is our mindset now. Giving money for bad service. We are all caught in this culture trap.
We all like to be magnanimous in our tipping as BHs with more money that the general populace. There are many people working in a non tipping job who are just getting by with minimum wage. They are subject to the same culture trap as the rest of us. Us, and they, have to help support an industry that has essentially abdicated its responsibility to the workers.
15% for bad service. There you go. You could tack that amount onto any sort of transaction because then you would be helping that worker. Tips all around. You could give 10% for no service.
Here is the truth about tips as a percent. That breakfast waitress in the local diner where you pay $8 for breakfast. She comes by to check on your coffe refill. Is tending to your needs as a diner, well she is getting 15% of total bill, same percent as the same service when the meal in a higher end restaurant is so much more. As a dollar amount she is pretty much getting cheated. Where is the real justification for 15% of an $8 meal verses 15% of a $50 meal, when the same service is given?
student

Post by student »

Shallowpockets wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 am Where is the real justification for 15% of an $8 meal verses 15% of a $50 meal, when the same service is given?
In my experience, there is a difference with the service. I put restaurants into 3 categories, diner, mid-range, and high-end. I mostly go to mid-range and occasionally go to diner and high-end. From my observations, a wait staff at a high end restaurant covers a smaller number of tables. We went to a high end restaurant the other day, at least three different persons came by performing different functions, one took our order, one did a table side cooking of dessert, one poured water. After I came back from the restroom, my napkin was folded. The "head person" also dropped by to chat with us. The person who took our order was also very knowledgeable about the food. I tipped about 25% pre-tax. (I usually tipped in the 15%-20% range.)
Last edited by student on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Shallowpockets wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 am Here is the truth about tips as a percent. That breakfast waitress in the local diner where you pay $8 for breakfast. She comes by to check on your coffe refill.
I personally tend to tip higher (percentage wise) for smaller bills where I maybe just have an omelet and a coffee for $12. If the service is pleasant, the coffee good and plenty, that's pretty much a guaranteed $3 tip (25%). If I am having dinner with my wife and we have a $40 check, with the same good service I would probably tip $8 (20%). Fair? I don't think the entire system is fair, so I don't worry too much about it since I can't change it.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

We tip on bottom line, after tax. Always have, and always will. 20% on 6% tax (in my state) is too trivial to cause me to get deep into "tip theory and analysis". That would be an "extra" $1.20 on a $100 tab, so who seriously cares?

We typically tip in the 20% to 35% range, depending on circumstances (I'll head toward that 35% level when we eat at off hours and service is good, because they aren't making much money then). But I enjoy tipping, and don't really worry about it. Bad service - it's so rare for us that I deal with it on case-by-case basis (but usually it's not solely a server issue and I still tip, maybe 1 exception in 10 years).
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

I will echo back what most people are saying, tip based on after tax bill. My go to rule of thumb is $2 x the first number on the after tax cost. I usually keep with this even if the service sucks, I just don't go back.
dewey

Post by dewey »

youngpleb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm 20%-25% pre-tax for adequate to good service, down to 15% for bad service.
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
student

Post by student »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:13 pm I will echo back what most people are saying, tip based on after tax bill.
You are technically correct but it seems the opinions are pretty evenly divided. I counted 16 to 14 including yours.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

General range for restaurants:
15% of pre-tax bill (for below-average service) to 20% of total bill (for excellent service).
My average is ~20% of pre-tax. I will tip extra for very inexpensive meals, "specials," or truly outstanding service.
I am not above leaving nothing for very bad service that seems to be within the control of the server.
I rarely leave an amount of 0-15%. I figure if the service is worth a tip, it is worth 15% of pre-tax.
simmias

Post by simmias »

student wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm
BradJ wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:13 pm I will echo back what most people are saying, tip based on after tax bill.
You are technically correct but it seems the opinions are pretty evenly divided. I counted 16 to 14 including yours.
Make that 17 then.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

18+% pre-tax. A pet peeve of mine is when restaurants suggested tips are calculated with post-tax amounts.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

audioaxes wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:07 pm 18+% pre-tax. A pet peeve of mine is when restaurants suggested tips are calculated with post-tax amounts.

Sadly I'm sure the tip math stumps some people. And, perhaps it shames some skinflints a bit to encourage a tip that is more normal for good service.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
CULater

Post by CULater »

Bet few even know what TIP means: it stands for "To Insure Promptness" and originally was given after the order, not after the meal.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:32 pm 15% pretax. But if terrible service -- nothing.
If the waitress is pretty and smiles at me, a little bit more.
Love the honesty :) The data on the topic suggest this is true, but most people don't admit it.