Thinking about moving to Madison, WI or Minneapolis, MN..Any advice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
malibuboats91

Thinking about moving to Madison, WI or Minneapolis, MN..Any advice?

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi all! I'm a 26 year old male working in accounting/finance and I currently reside in central Wisconsin. I went to school at UW-Madison and overall have been missing living in a larger city so I'm thinking about moving back or moving to Minneapolis.

In my line of work I can transfer to either city within my company and there are plentiful opportunities outside of my company from what I've seen. Salaries in Minneapolis appear to be about $5-10k higher than Madison for similar positions, but when I use cost of living calculators it looks like they have similar cost of livings. Looking at actual rent costs, Minneapolis is about $200-300/mo more for similar places. Being in accounting/finance I am very intrigued by the higher salary and amount of opportunities in the Minneapolis area.

One big thing for me is my family has an old cabin up north that I generally try to spend my summer weekends at/will be inheriting down the line. Madison would be 3 hours away and Minneapolis would be about 4 hours away. I question if even 3 hours is too much, but I don't know. I did it in college and it didn't seem to be a big deal, but wasn't working as much as I do now. Another concern would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype is leaving me a bit uneasy as I don't know many people there.

Outside of working/summer weekends up north, I enjoy downhill skiing, golfing, grabbing drinks with friends, cars/car shows, exploring, etc. I used to be a very outdoorsy person and in my move I would like to get back to that. Based on the information provided, what do you think? I'm sure some of you live/know about both places and think similar to how I do given the finance background. I have discussed the possible move with my employer and they're open to it, I just have to decide where. Thanks!!!

bloom2708

Re: Thinking about moving to Madison, WI or Minneapolis, MN..Any advice?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Where are you living and working now?

If you are single and your job can transfer, the world is your oyster.

With Madison or Minneapolis you know about (in a whisper) "the weather". Great hot sticky summers, long cold winters. Spring and fall are a couple weeks give or take.

Think about things like your daily commute and how long is tolerable. That may impact your rental costs. 3 hours to the cabin is a right of passage up here. Even if you don't want a cabin, you are deeded one upon moving here. "Headed to the cabin this weekend...".

Good luck with your decision.

p.s. Packers or Vikings? That may help your decision. :wink:
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm

My husband and his family are from Minneapolis, and I've visited many times over the years. I haven't been to Madison so can't compare, but Minneapolis has a great culture and is a super cool city from my outsider point of view. It also is a much more economically relevant city, so if your career is to be taken into account then I think it's a clear winner. It has a surprising number of Fortune 500 companies and major private firms.

In fact my sister in law and her family are moving back there after spending 4 years near us in the Dallas area (my husband came here for grad school and never left once he realized he could play golf year round). They just miss it. My cousin from Louisiana went up there for her residency and fell in love with the city and weather and everything. Now she and her husband are homeowners and even bought a cabin in Wisconsin and have embraced extreme winter sports (according to her, "you're not really a Minnesotan until you own land in Wisconsin.")

On the flip side I've heard people say it can be hard to find a friend group or fit in since many residents have spent their lives there and have extended families and friend/neighbor groups already established. People are super nice but also private is the sense I get. I imagine that might be the case in Madison as well though. And that may be more of a suburbs/older ppl thing anyway.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:27 pm

I prefer a smaller city, and Madison seems to be just about the perfect size.

You probably already have more connections to Madison since you attended school there.

I wouldn't let the cabin weigh in the decision at all.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:32 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm
Where are you living and working now?

If you are single and your job can transfer, the world is your oyster.

With Madison or Minneapolis you know about (in a whisper) "the weather". Great hot sticky summers, long cold winters. Spring and fall are a couple weeks give or take.

Think about things like your daily commute and how long is tolerable. That may impact your rental costs. 3 hours to the cabin is a right of passage up here. Even if you don't want a cabin, you are deeded one upon moving here. "Headed to the cabin this weekend...".

Good luck with your decision.

p.s. Packers or Vikings? That may help your decision. :wink:
Thanks! I'm living and working in Central Wisconsin at a public accounting firm. I grew up in Wisconsin so I know all about the weather haha. While I would prefer living in Colorado, I want to stay somewhat close to my family as I'm pretty close with them.

So you don't think 3 or 4 hours to go to a cabin is ridiculous?

Packers for sure! :D
Meg77 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm
My husband and his family are from Minneapolis, and I've visited many times over the years. I haven't been to Madison so can't compare, but Minneapolis has a great culture and is a super cool city from my outsider point of view. It also is a much more economically relevant city, so if your career is to be taken into account then I think it's a clear winner. It has a surprising number of Fortune 500 companies and major private firms.

In fact my sister in law and her family are moving back there after spending 4 years near us in the Dallas area (my husband came here for grad school and never left once he realized he could play golf year round). They just miss it. My cousin from Louisiana went up there for her residency and fell in love with the city and weather and everything. Now she and her husband are homeowners and even bought a cabin in Wisconsin and have embraced extreme winter sports (according to her, "you're not really a Minnesotan until you own land in Wisconsin.")

On the flip side I've heard people say it can be hard to find a friend group or fit in since many residents have spent their lives there and have extended families and friend/neighbor groups already established. People are super nice but also private is the sense I get. I imagine that might be the case in Madison as well though. And that may be more of a suburbs/older ppl thing anyway.
Thanks! Any idea how far they travel to go to their cabin? Maybe 3-4 hours is the norm and I've been spoiled by having a 45 minute drive most of my life.
greg24 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:27 pm
I prefer a smaller city, and Madison seems to be just about the perfect size.

You probably already have more connections to Madison since you attended school there.

I wouldn't let the cabin weigh in the decision at all.
I agree. I grew up in a city with about 60k people so Madison is 'big' to me. The motivational factor to go to Minneapolis is money though.

Why not factor in the cabin? I know that I want to continue going there 2-3 weekends a month during summers and hopefully can afford to build a place up there in 15-20 years. It's something that will never be sold because it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I am not sure how far they travel, but personally I don't think there's much difference between a 3 hour drive and a 4 hour drive to the cabin. You're considering boosting your commute in either case. Assuming you make 12 trips a year (3 times a month 4 months out of the year), that's an average of two hours a month saved or spent, depending on which city you choose. I wouldn't make that the deciding factor.

People here in Dallas go to Austin for the weekend frequently, and that's a 3-3.5 hour drive. Shreveport is a 3 hour drive as well, and some folks make their way there for weekend gambling excursions. Tulsa is 4 hours north and I know people from there who go home regularly. I guess we are used to it here in TX where most cities seem to be about that far apart (Houston is 4 hours away, so is San Antonio). Heck I work with people who drive 90 minutes from their suburb to get to work every day. It's all relative I suppose.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:27 pm

We have a cottage 80 minutes away (inherited). For us, it is not worth the drive for a 1 1/2 day weekend. We spend a lot of time in the summer, just finishing 7 days here, headed home after dinner (avoiding the 4th), then back early on Friday for a little over a week.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Go back to Madison. I am originally from Central Wisconsin (Wausau) but reside in Appleton Wisconsin. My wife is from Minneapolis but she likes the Wisconsin culture much more. Plus you have Milwaukee, Green Bay and Chicago close by. Minneapolis is on an island with not much around it.

Go Pack!!!!!!
Go Brewers

We're heading down to the Brewers game tomorrow. They're playing the Minnesota Twins....lol
Why world market cap? | https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTHLtuToSY

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:58 pm

I like large cities. Between Madison and Minneapolis choose whichever is bigger and has more activities.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Buy a good coat. A really good coat.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm

lostdog wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 pm
Go back to Madison. I am originally from Central Wisconsin (Wausau) but reside in Appleton Wisconsin. My wife is from Minneapolis but she likes the Wisconsin culture much more. Plus you have Milwaukee, Green Bay and Chicago close by. Minneapolis is on an island with not much around it.

Go Pack!!!!!!
Go Brewers

We're heading down to the Brewers game tomorrow. They're playing the Minnesota Twins....lol
What a small world...I’m from Wausau as well!

Madison seems like the right choice, but for good or bad I’m infatuated by the money in Minneapolis.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm

malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm
lostdog wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Go Pack!!!!!!
Go Brewers

What a small world...I’m from Wausau as well!

Madison seems like the right choice, but for good or bad I’m infatuated by the money in Minneapolis.
Awesome!! My wife and I will move back to Wausau when an opportunity arises. We want to be closer to family and friends.
Why world market cap? | https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTHLtuToSY

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm

How do you expect to be happy as a Packer fan living in Minneapolis?

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 pm

obgraham wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm
I could be a proud Packer fan in Minnesota, would probably get a lot of crap for it though. :P

TSquare

Post by TSquare » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 pm

malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 pm
obgraham wrote:
I could be a proud Packer fan in Minnesota, would probably get a lot of crap for it though. :P
Minneapolis resident here. Many many Packer fan’s here. You’ll fit in nicely.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 pm

I lived in Madison for over a decade and often visited friends in Minneapolis. I think it depends on your lifestyle and your career goals. If you prefer (or want to try) the vibe of a big city, then Minneapolis of course is the way to go. But you will be doing a lot of driving, it will be harder for you to get to the outdoors, and your friends will be scattered. You'll have fewer career opportunities in Madison and be paid less, but would probably spend less. Would you be happy finding a decent job, hanging out with friends, visiting the family cabin, and taking the occasional trip to Chicago or Minneapolis for your city fix? Then Madison could be perfect. For your other questions: --I wouldn't worry about 'Minnesota nice'; the Twin Cities attracts lots of people from all over. --The 3 vs 4 hr difference in drive time to the cabin could be more significant than you think when it comes to making a quick weekend trip. Finally, how easy is it to transfer? Could you try out Minneapolis and if you don't like it, transfer back to Madison?

Good luck! (I should add that I'm biased: I moved away from Madison for career advancement, but I still miss it.)

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 pm

TSquare wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 pm
malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 pm
obgraham wrote:
Minneapolis resident here. Many many Packer fan’s here. You’ll fit in nicely.
That's always good! Do you feel my perception of there being a lot of money over there is correct? Like I said in my first post salaries for similar jobs are about $5-10k higher in Minneapolis compared to Madison and the cost of living seems to be similar. I was looking at apartments uptown and budgeted for about $1,600/mo in Minneapolis whereas in Madison I can get similar accommodations for $1,300/mo, but would not be right downtown. Lastly, what's your take on the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype? I have friends that say they had a tough time making real friends in the Twin Cities and others had no issues. For all I know they could have issues in another city too.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm

blackburnian wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 pm
I lived in Madison for over a decade and often visited friends in Minneapolis. I think it depends on your lifestyle and your career goals. If you prefer (or want to try) the vibe of a big city, then Minneapolis of course is the way to go. But you will be doing a lot of driving, it will be harder for you to get to the outdoors, and your friends will be scattered. You'll have fewer career opportunities in Madison and be paid less, but would probably spend less. Would you be happy finding a decent job, hanging out with friends, visiting the family cabin, and taking the occasional trip to Chicago or Minneapolis for your city fix? Then Madison could be perfect. For your other questions: --I wouldn't worry about 'Minnesota nice'; the Twin Cities attracts lots of people from all over. --The 3 vs 4 hr difference in drive time to the cabin could be more significant than you think when it comes to making a quick weekend trip. Finally, how easy is it to transfer? Could you try out Minneapolis and if you don't like it, transfer back to Madison?

Good luck! (I should add that I'm biased: I moved away from Madison for career advancement, but I still miss it.)
Thanks for the reply! I definitely put my career as top priority, but I have a job where I have a lot of flexibility so I get my work done, but also take full advantage of time off. That flexibility (ie. flexing Fridays during the summer, working from home, etc) allows me the time to do what I enjoy, just now I live less than an hour away from my cottage vs 3-4 hours. I'm totally willing to give up some of that for more money though.

As for transferring...I have offices in both locations and they were very receptive when I told them I wanted to transfer. They would rather have me transfer than leave. I've seen it done where people transfer once, then again after awhile.

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Minneapolis is a lively, growing, and diverse city that is thriving, with one of the great neighborhoods in America in the newly fashioned mill district. Madison is a sweet college town.

Between those I know which I would choose but you should select whichever fits your preferences most closely.

Flora

Post by Flora » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Did you factor in paying for parking at work in Minneapolis? Parking is likely free at your CPA firm in Madison.

Flora

Post by Flora » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 pm

And consider all that wasted commuting time in MPLS over Madison.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Flora wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 pm
Did you factor in paying for parking at work in Minneapolis? Parking is likely free at your CPA firm in Madison.
I'm 99% positive my employer would pay for parking as they do at my current office too. As for commuting time I was looking at places about 10 minutes from work in both Madison and Minneapolis. Outside of work it definitely would take more time getting around though.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:36 pm

malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:54 pm
Another concern would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype is leaving me a bit uneasy as I don't know many people there.
I moved from WI to Mpls and this is a real concern. It takes a very long time to make friends here and you really have to work at it. The culture here is quite insular compared to WI (and I've lived several places in WI). Frankly, most of the friends I've made since moving here 20 years ago didn't grow up here either. I'm generalizing of course, but socially Madison will be far easier to have a social life in relatively quickly.

That said, the Twin Cities are phenomenal as far as jobs go (it's why I moved here). This isn't a one industry town, the F500 companies are in all sorts of industries, and there really are a lot of opportunities here that many other cities just don't have.

So from a career perspective, the Twin Cities will offer you a lot. But Madison will be a more fun place to live if you're used to living in WI. So really it comes down to culture vs career. I'd move to Madison in a heartbeat if I could get a job there doing what I do, but I can't.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:36 pm
malibuboats91 wrote:
Another concern would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype is leaving me a bit uneasy as I don't know many people there.
I moved from WI to Mpls and this is a real concern. It takes a very long time to make friends here and you really have to work at it. The culture here is quite insular compared to WI (and I've lived several places in WI). Frankly, most of the friends I've made since moving here 20 years ago didn't grow up here either. I'm generalizing of course, but socially Madison will be far easier to have a social life in relatively quickly.

That said, the Twin Cities are phenomenal as far as jobs go (it's why I moved here). This isn't a one industry town, the F500 companies are in all sorts of industries, and there really are a lot of opportunities here that many other cities just don't have.

So from a career perspective, the Twin Cities will offer you a lot. But Madison will be a more fun place to live if you're used to living in WI. So really it comes down to culture vs career. I'd move to Madison in a heartbeat if I could get a job there doing what I do, but I can't.
Thanks! Your comment really got me thinking. Even though I live in a small city that all my friends left, I still have a pretty good social life and easily made friends outside of my friend circle from high school. I definitely want to maintain my current social life or improve it, but also want to open more doors for myself. Being a public accountant in Madison gives me the choice of at least 4 firms that are larger than my current firm and many that are smaller. Outside of public accounting I'm not sure how Madison is for industries outside of healthcare and government. Now Minneapolis there's a crazy amount of everything.

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 pm

malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 pm
vitaflo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:36 pm
malibuboats91 wrote:

Thanks! Your comment really got me thinking. Even though I live in a small city that all my friends left, I still have a pretty good social life and easily made friends outside of my friend circle from high school. I definitely want to maintain my current social life or improve it, but also want to open more doors for myself. Being a public accountant in Madison gives me the choice of at least 4 firms that are larger than my current firm and many that are smaller. Outside of public accounting I'm not sure how Madison is for industries outside of healthcare and government. Now Minneapolis there's a crazy amount of everything.
I actually had this choice as a young engineer many years ago .... I don't like big cities so you know which I chose but I will say that of all the American cities, The Twin cities is by far the nicest. The many little nbhds of Minneapolis/StPaul really give it a much more friendly vibe. You know Madison, so I won't say anything about it other than as I said in the other current thread about Ann Arbor: Madison and the Twin Cities are by far the best places to live in the upper Midwest and it's not even close ...

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Currently live in Madison, and have for about 16 years. I like it here, but the winters get long sometimes. I've lived in Minneapolis and was glad to leave - traffic is a nightmare, too big, too impersonal. Madison is "just right".

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm

After we retired from the federal government, my wife and I had our retirement jobs in Madison. We lived there for 10 years, seven in condo overlooking Lake Monona. We loved it. We had a place for the weekends in downtown Chicago which was a nice complement to living in a small city. It gave us our big city fix.

The cold got to us as we aged and we now live at the beach in South Carolina. As I tell people, no more -14° for us. I really miss Madison especially during the summer.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 pm

I grew up in Bloomington, just outside of Minneapolis, and went to college at UW La Crosse and made many a road trip to Madison, so I'm pretty familiar with both sides of the border! Then I lived in Chicago for 10 years before moving out east to Philly. So I have a perspective not just on the individual locations, but the region as a whole.

First, let me tell you that out east here, people that aren't familiar with the Midwest think of it as just one big blob of land with a few big lakes thrown in. Without a map, they really couldn't tell you what is where when it comes to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa. And to be honest, having now lived outside of the MIdwest for 10+ years, I think there are a lot more similarities than differences between places like Madison and Minneapolis. Both places are highly functional cities with a lot of well educated nice people!

Second, you are at an age where you can still explore. I would highly advise you go to Minneapolis and try out life in the big city. If you don't like it, then fine, now is a good time to learn what works and doesn't work for you. Your career opportunities are going to be far more numerous in Minneapolis, as others have mentioned.

Third, I don't recall you mentioning this topic, but if you are trying to eventually find a significant other, there are probably more opportunities to meet people in a larger city, so long as you get yourself involved.

Good luck!

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:06 am

I've lived in both. I loved Madison, but was there for graduate school (Ph.D., many years) and would not want to live there as a career person. Everything revolves around the young college culture. Great if you're young; not so great as you mature and settle down.
The Twin Cities are fabulous--lots and lots of culture. Each city has distinct neighborhoods with different vibes. Bicycling is wonderful with so many connected trails throughout the area and you can quickly get to green space and country. Clean streets; friendly people; great restaurants of all types. I didn't note any culture change, or very little between the states, except there's less of a culture of binge drinking here and wearing cheesehats. As to the commute, well I walk 15 minutes to work so I've never had one. Of course you have to decide how close you want to live to work. The light rail and bus system is very good.
If I were young with a long career ahead of me, I'd definitely choose the Twin Cities. Far more career opportunities here.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am

I've lived in MN for much of my life and have only been to Madison as a visitor (probably 8 times.) You write "While I would prefer living in Colorado..." so I will ask if you have been to CO and why it's on your list?

Mpls: Great economy for your career. The "MN Nice" is a real thing and sometimes transplants have a tough time getting to know people because many people are already in their groups. Packers fan are allowed (but not encouraged. ha! I kid.) It will offer more opportunities for engaging in your hobbies and meeting people than Madison. The extra hour to the cabin is worth noting, but not worth basing your decision on this factor. If you can, live on the east side of town/closer to WI if you plan frequent travel to WI.

Madison: This is one of my favorite small towns in the midwest, by far. It's a nice college town and fun place to visit. It's safe, with relatively short commutes, but offers much less cultural/social life/outdoor activities. The economy is good, but nothing like Mpls in terms of opportunities for career growth. I think it would be great place to be from.

Bottom line: Mpls seems to align well with your career and personal goals. Give it a try and have fun. You can always move again if you want to; you have many years of your career ahead of you. Let us know what you decide.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:51 am

Colorado13 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am
I've lived in MN for much of my life and have only been to Madison as a visitor (probably 8 times.) You write "While I would prefer living in Colorado..." so I will ask if you have been to CO and why it's on your list?

Mpls: Great economy for your career. The "MN Nice" is a real thing and sometimes transplants have a tough time getting to know people because many people are already in their groups. The cost of living in Minneapolis is 7% higher than the national average. Packers fan are allowed (but not encouraged. ha! I kid.) It has more opportunities for engaging in your hobbies and meeting people than Madison. The extra hour to the cabin is worth noting, but not worth basing your decision on this factor.

Madison: This is one of my favorite small towns in the midwest, by far. It's a nice college town and fun place to visit. It's safe, with relatively short commutes, but offers much less cultural/social life/outdoor activities. I think it would be great place to be from.

Colorado: Generally very friendly to transplants compared to MN, far from your family (obviously) and cabin. The cost of living is 11% higher than the national average but housing is 32% higher than the national average. Much better skiing and outdoor activities than MN and WI. Plus very few mosquitoes. There's no comparison to MN or WI in terms of weather. Economy is somewhat similar to Mpls.

Bottom line: Mpls seems to align well with your career and personal goals. Give it a try and have fun. You can always move again if you want to; you have many years of your career ahead of you. Let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the reply! I have some family out in Colorado so I've been there a few times and am a huge downhill skier. Colorado is a very special area, but too far from my immediate family/cottage.

I love the vibe of Madison, closeness to my family/cabin and it pretty regularly ranks as one of the top places to live in the US, but my concern would be salary growth potential and career opportunities. I was thinking about it this morning and working in accounting/finance allows me to get a job at almost any moderate to large sized business, hospital or even UW, but I think my salary would end up being a lot higher in Minneapolis. I could be totally wrong though.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 am

I lived in Minneapolis for about 15 months in my late 30's for work and loved it. I'm a big-city guy and am also a midwesterner so it gave me that big-city vibe that was less expensive and less busy than a place like Chicago.

My experience with the "Minnesota Nice" thing is that it's true with a caveat. People are very nice however they're not equally as "friendly". To me there's a difference. Like other's have stated it's kinda hard to break into long-established social circles. I would definitely take advantage of meetup.com to help with that.

To be honest, I would move back in a second if the right job opportunity presented. Madison seems nice. I've only driven through it but it seems mostly life a college-town to me.

As a side note, if you're single and like tall blondes, the heavy Nordic ancestry in Mpls certainly seemed to provide alot of that. ;)

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:23 am

Hello! It sounds like you love Madison. It's a great city and I really don't think you can make a "wrong" choice between the two locations. Both are pretty wonderful places (lots of outdoor activities in both.) Obviously, they are very different but if you like Madison, go for it! As you state, there are definitely career opportunities there for someone with your qualifications.

While I don't know how to put a dollar value on less traffic and closeness to family, they are worth a lot (to me. You need to determine what's most important to you. And it's absolutely okay if that changes in a year or three.) So can I change my vote (based on your latest post) to Madison? :-)

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Edward Joseph wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 am
As a side note, if you're single and like tall blondes, the heavy Nordic ancestry in Mpls certainly seemed to provide alot of that. ;)
There are many beautiful Somali women there too.

burt

Post by burt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Madison or Minneapolis... congratulations.
Doesn't matter which city.
It could be worse..... much worse.

burt

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Presumably you are young and single. Seems your question should really be what is more important to you in the long run - career or family? Do you plan to start your own family? If so being close to your family may be important, and 3 to 4 hours away may be something you don't want. In that case, consider if you meet someone in one of the other two cities, will that person be willing to relocate back to Madison? Or do you have better prospects in Madison?

Also, don't consider just rents. Look at the cost of purchase of the type of property you want. Even if Minneapolis pays $5k/year more, if the type of home you eventually want to purchase costs $100k more there than in Madison, you are better off financially in Madison.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 pm

What are your hobbies? Biking was mentioned in an earlier post. I've biked a fair amount in both cities and the Minneapolis/St. Paul trails are extensive, while Madison are good but a bit more limited. More theater, arts, concerts in a larger city with more venues.

I live in St. Paul near the Minneapolis border. St. Paul has the smaller city feel that one gets in Madison. My daughter lives in Madison and I've visited often.

Minneapolis and St. Paul have good mass transit if you live in the city or inner ring suburbs.

I agree that it is a bit hard to get to know the locals here. But if you are young and working that will likely not be an issue.

The Madison winter is definitely a bit milder.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 pm
What are your hobbies? Biking was mentioned in an earlier post. I've biked a fair amount in both cities and the Minneapolis/St. Paul trails are extensive, while Madison are good but a bit more limited. More theater, arts, concerts in a larger city with more venues.

I live in St. Paul near the Minneapolis border. St. Paul has the smaller city feel that one gets in Madison. My daughter lives in Madison and I've visited often.

Minneapolis and St. Paul have good mass transit if you live in the city or inner ring suburbs.

I agree that it is a bit hard to get to know the locals here. But if you are young and working that will likely not be an issue.

The Madison winter is definitely a bit milder.
Thanks for the response! I enjoy downhill skiing, golfing, grabbing drinks with friends, cars/car shows, exploring, etc. I used to bike a lot, but haven't really gone for a solid 5 years. I wouldn't mind starting up again though.

I was just looking and here's a comparison of distances from the following areas to my cottage currently (subject to change based on traffic):

Madison: 2:58
St. Paul: 3:13
Minneapolis: 3:35

I'd say overall the only thing deterring me from the Twin Cities area would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' issue, but working in public accounting allows me to be with a lot of other people my age. I'd hope I could meet some people that way as I've done at my current office. Also, the distance to my cottage is a concern, but realistically what's 35 minutes more? I drive a sports sedan and am a car guy so I shouldn't make a fuss about the distance I guess. Just a tough decision overall. :beer

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Flora wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 pm
If u live in uptown, u can easily just take a bus to downtown. They go every 10 minutes. I used to live in uptown. Or u could just live downtown and walk to work.
The area near the Vikings stadium is getting a lot of development. I bike to downtown Minneapolis 5 days a week. They plow the bike Lanes right away in the winter.

If u live near a light rail stop, it would be easy enough to take that to the airport for a weekend car rental if u want to go carless.

We travel internationally often for vacation, and it's cheap to fly out of MSP airport.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 pm

I've heard many complaints about the "MN Nice" thing from many transplants to Minneapolis and Minnesota. Minnesota is not like Wisonsin. While Minnesotans are generally polite, they are not "friendship oriented" towards outsiders and generally will not let you into their close social circles. In general they do not want to be close friends with outsiders (anyone not born into, or married into, their community). It reminds me of Germany, where they will not, under any circumstances, be friends with people at work. In certain areas of Germany that is just a rule everyone follows. Minnesota has their rules too.

Almost everyone I know who moved to Minnesota from outside have no close friends who are born and raised in Minnesota. This issue is commonly discussed among transplants. I knew a guy who had lived all over the world, and he insisted that he never saw anything quite like this anywhere else. That said, there are plenty of transplants in the Twin Cities and they are open to fully integrating people into their social groups. There are also many clubs for many hobbies (like TCBC) and they are pretty welcoming.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 am

I live in a suburb of MPLS and I can’t recommend it enough. Great job opportunities, amazing lakes, you can go on a 50 mile bike ride within the city if you’d like, and never have to ride on a street, amazing restaurants (many James Beard award winners) and craft breweries/distilleries. You can have a short commute if you live in Minneapolis and your job isn’t way out in the suburbs. I think of Madison as a college town and I’m sure the cultural differences aren’t that different. There are plenty of Packer fans and Packer bars here. Winters are probably a tiny bit milder in Madison, but mostly similar. I’ve never really experienced the MN nice thing where people born there don’t become friends with transplants. But most of my neighbors are transplants from out state Minnesota.

ARLJLKL

Post by ARLJLKL » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:01 am

I am a transplant to Minneapolis, but have not noticed the social condition mentioned above. I don't think anyone factors "birthplace" into their consideration of who to befriend over other personality traits. Also, I have probably met just as many people from Wisconsin living here as Minnesota. I live in the city and take the bus to work each day, so while I can appreciate that traffic is terrible, it hasn't bothered me too much; I just listen to my podcasts. If it is of interest to you, the Twin Cities Bogleheads chapter is very active and well organized. It meets three times a year and usually has interesting speakers. There are more and more young people showing up each meeting, so if you're looking to meet people there is always that option.

I have never lived in Madison, but have visited several times. I don't think you'll be too upset by either choice. Both are great cities.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I feel that Minneapolis is the right choice. My employer has really only talked about the Madison office being open to it, but I’m going to follow up next week and see if they’ve heard from the Minneapolis office. I figure that I know what Madison is all about and if for some reason I don’t like Minneapolis I can always go back there. My concern about travel to my cottage isn’t really that big of a difference between the two either. If I stay at my current company, I generally am off Fridays or only work until noon so that gives me ample time to drive to Wisconsin.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:10 am

I'm sorry, what was the question? I can't hear you over the sound of my user name...

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am

Iowan here

Minneapolis is nice place to visit. Madison would be nice to live.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am

Both cold, of course, in winter. Madison smaller with great culture. Political culture very liberal in Madison which is a likely positive or negative these days. Overall, both (Children live in both places) are places where you can find culture, activities, educational opportunities. Minneapolis may be somewhat less in property taxes and housing prices. If not for the weather, we would strongly consider moving from our southern home to Madison due to smaller size.

Tim

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am

We are recent transplants to Minneapolis. I agree 100% with the poster who now lives in Philly. For someone starting out his career, MPLS makes a lot of sense. Wisconsin isn’t going anywhere and you can always move back in a few years, likely at a higher position and pay due to your big city experience.

That said, Minnesota Nice is a real thing. My husband’s colleague describes it as, “Minnesotans will give you directions to anywhere, as long as it’s not their front door.” I think it is less so if you’re close in to the city (we live way out in the burbs) but still. I’ve lived all over the country and the insularity is worse here than anywhere I’ve been. My hunch is that it’s because Minneapolis is pretty much an island unto itself, people grow up here and then go to college in Iowa or Illinois or South Dakota, and then end up back in Minneapolis, for all the reasons you are considering moving here.

I don’t think this should change your mind. You are young and in your prime friend-making years, plus you’re from a nearby state; you’ll be fine. And the experience you get here will set you up for lots of success down the road if you do decide to move back to WI. Just be aware that if you meet a Minnesota girl, she may never want to leave. :)

Good luck with it all!

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 pm
Packer Bar in the Cities

https://www.gabesmn.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... esota.html

Actually, the Vikings won the NFL championship in 1969, the year before the AFL-NFL merger and the year before the first Super Bowl.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 am

Nowizard wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am
Both cold, of course, in winter. Madison smaller with great culture. Political culture very liberal in Madison which is a likely positive or negative these days. Overall, both (Children live in both places) are places where you can find culture, activities, educational opportunities. Minneapolis may be somewhat less in property taxes and housing prices. If not for the weather, we would strongly consider moving from our southern home to Madison due to smaller size.

Tim
What would make you think housing prices would be less in Minneapolis than in Madison? In the desirable parts of Minneapolis, you're lucky to find a 3 bedroom home in good condition for under $500k.