What are you learning or studying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: What are you learning or studying?

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm

triceratop wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 pm
I am a more than a little hesitant about posting what I am trying to learn, because some Forum members will derisively be calling 'Bravo Sierra" on me. Oh, well. In any case, for the past year and a half, I have been studying the mathematical foundations of both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Why? Because before I depart from this mortal coil, I want to have at least an inkling of what the greatest Physics and Mathematics minds of the 20th Century proposed about how this Universe functions. And not in words, but in mathematical symbols.

How am I doing? No surprise, it is very difficult. My best analogy is that of a person waking up every day and beating their head against a wall for 8 hours until one concept finally crystallizes and makes sense. Then wash and repeat. It is not like learning Mandarin Chinese, rather it is like trying to comprehend sophomore year Martian. I can understand Tensor Calculus machinations up until two indices, then my cerebrum short circuits and I reach for a Guinness (or three). And there I remain stuck right now.

The only advantage to this masochism is that if you can continue to absorb one basic concept every three days, then you know that senile dementia has not yet locked in to your cerebral hemispheres. If you might desire to trod the same rocky path, excellent introductory texts are available for free in PDF format by Googling: Liboff and Griffiths for QM, Schutz and Carroll (course notes) for GR. Don't say I didn't give you fair warning.
Thanks for the interesting post.

No need to call 'Bravo Sierra' -- those are serious books to seriously study QM and GR from, so you're on the right path. Good luck, with dedicated study you'll get something out of it. I enjoyed both topics when I studied them, but I'm glad I'm not directly in those fields.
I am "old school" and "slow".
What is "Bravo Sierra"??????
j

Post by 2015 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Minot wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 pm
2015 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm

On my list next year is learning Tai Chi and taking an improv class for some fun.
I'm currently learning Tai Chi and at age 81 finding it harder than I expected--but worth it so far, even though I'm often tempted to skip practicing.
I hope you don't skip because the benefits of not skipping any practice compound. My current practice is weightlifting, which I'll probably keep until near death as I've been doing it since age 20 and can't imagine not doing it. It's more mind/body now to the point of being almost meditative.

I want to use Tai Chi in particular to further bridge my already deep connection with my physicality and want to explore improve because it scares me and because it will take me out of my mind. As part of my current mental software update project, I'm learning to unlearn much of what I thought I knew. In fact, I'm finding "knowing" of any kind to be suspect. I'm beginning to think all we have in life are constructs, which are best kept open to reformulation. Tai Chi and improv will be fun, but will also serve to further support my unlearning.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Fine tuning my t ira to roth strategy, while also planning the repairs and sales of my rental properties to simplify my financial life in retirement.

It is surprising to me how few of the tradespeople who I can find easily actually do their job well and efficiently. For example... most painters know little or nothing about paint or how to know when the use something other than "superpaint" and a basic primer.

Helping my young adult sons continue to learn things outsider their fields of study... i.e. how to maintain a car or at least how to know enough about it to understand when a mechanic is doing things properly and intelligently or not. (In our society this is a basic survival skill.)

Backyard... slowly making changes in the landscape to reduce maintenance. I also do not use herbicides or pesticides... so planning and weed control needs to be planned out by the types of things planted and the layers of the plantings.

M

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm
triceratop wrote:
FreeAtLast wrote:
I am a more than a little hesitant about posting what I am trying to learn, because some Forum members will derisively be calling 'Bravo Sierra" on me. Oh, well. In any case, for the past year and a half, I have been studying the mathematical foundations of both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Why? Because before I depart from this mortal coil, I want to have at least an inkling of what the greatest Physics and Mathematics minds of the 20th Century proposed about how this Universe functions. And not in words, but in mathematical symbols.

How am I doing? No surprise, it is very difficult. My best analogy is that of a person waking up every day and beating their head against a wall for 8 hours until one concept finally crystallizes and makes sense. Then wash and repeat. It is not like learning Mandarin Chinese, rather it is like trying to comprehend sophomore year Martian. I can understand Tensor Calculus machinations up until two indices, then my cerebrum short circuits and I reach for a Guinness (or three). And there I remain stuck right now.

The only advantage to this masochism is that if you can continue to absorb one basic concept every three days, then you know that senile dementia has not yet locked in to your cerebral hemispheres. If you might desire to trod the same rocky path, excellent introductory texts are available for free in PDF format by Googling: Liboff and Griffiths for QM, Schutz and Carroll (course notes) for GR. Don't say I didn't give you fair warning.

No need to call 'Bravo Sierra' -- those are serious books to seriously study QM and GR from, so you're on the right path. Good luck, with dedicated study you'll get something out of it. I enjoyed both topics when I studied them, but I'm glad I'm not directly in those fields.
j
Bull Shxx :oops:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:

Throw some theology (my personal field of interest) into the mix, then you will have an infinite amount of study ahead of you if you wish to probe deeply ... Or, you could give this book by William Bray a whirl to add additional complexity :happy :

Quantum Physics, Near Death Experiences, Eternal Consciousness, Religion, and the Human Soul
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:55 pm

ACFE.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm

I am learning about too many topics. This is not a bravado statement but an admission of a weakness. I have three primary projects, but I learn other things as a way to procrastinate on my primary projects.

Unfortunately, a week ago I had an event that has demonstrated to me that my ability to do what I want may end quite suddenly. The event itself is off-topic, but for the curious:
Last Sunday, at 1:30 PM, on a nice sunny day, I was walking with two friends from my Improv class to get a quick lunch in DuPont Circle. I tripped over an uneven pavement and fell on my face. At the emergency room they put splints on both of my arms that have severely restricted my daily functioning. Two days ago, I saw an orthopedist who allowed me to remove the splints and said that I will be OK.

The things that most shocked me were the unexpected nature of my fall and its disabling consequences. There was no objective reason for me to fall. And after I fell, not being able to use both of my arms was utterly inconvenient.

And so instead of composing a long list of the things I have been studying in the past few years, I'll mention just one:
I am learning to appreciate every day as if it were the last one. This is one of the most difficult things to learn.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm documenting my musical journey on a separate thread, at the moment... that's only thing I can volunteer.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Fletch wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm
triceratop wrote:
FreeAtLast wrote:

j
Bull Shxx :oops:
:oops:
Aha!!!!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm
I am learning about too many topics. This is not a bravado statement but an admission of a weakness. I have three primary projects, but I learn other things as a way to procrastinate on my primary projects.

Unfortunately, a week ago I had an event that has demonstrated to me that my ability to do what I want may end quite suddenly. The event itself is off-topic, but for the curious:
Last Sunday, at 1:30 PM, on a nice sunny day, I was walking with two friends from my Improv class to get a quick lunch in DuPont Circle. I tripped over an uneven pavement and fell on my face. At the emergency room they put splints on both of my arms that have severely restricted my daily functioning. Two days ago, I saw an orthopedist who allowed me to remove the splints and said that I will be OK.

The things that most shocked me were the unexpected nature of my fall and its disabling consequences. There was no objective reason for me to fall. And after I fell, not being able to use both of my arms was utterly inconvenient.

And so instead of composing a long list of the things I have been studying in the past few years, I'll mention just one:
I am learning to appreciate every day as if it were the last one. This is one of the most difficult things to learn.

Victoria
Thanks "Victoria".
Very poignant . . . reality check.
I find that post 65 aging picks up the pace. . . perhaps in "dog years" :shock: .
And, with that, the need to adapt to evolving, or devolving, physicality . . . one day at a time.
mahalo
jim :D

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Perhaps my favorite educational moment was in college, the last day of a Quantum Mechanics course, when the Professor said, Just between us, this is all bunk.

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Studying exercise, behavioural psychology, and human anatomy. Currently following courses on: Introduction to Philosophy (edX), Paradox and Infinity (also edX), and What is a Mind (Futurelearn). I have relatives who are Deaf, so I am also spending time learning conversational British Sign Language from books, videos, and assorted YouTube channels.

Now retired. These are all completely unrelated to any aspect of my former job. It is an enjoyable luxury to have time to become immersed in them.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:59 pm

david_that_guy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:15 pm
French. In my first year of retirement, I wasn’t that serious. I spent about 30 minutes a day using various language apps. Then 10 months ago I decided to get serious and set a goal of being fluent. I spend 15 - 20 hours a week watching YouTube videos, documentaries, and listening to podcasts all in French. I also have been reading novels in French and recently started talking to French people by Skype in exchange for helping with their English. I feel like I’m in a race with time by starting so late in life but I love a challenge and enjoy learning.

I’m also hoping there’s a bonus in that challenging myself may delay cognitive decline.
Me too. I studied French in college but never became fluent. Now I've picked up the study again for no reason other than to exercise my aging brain. Streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon, which both carry lots of French television series now, have been a tremendous help.

Aside from that, I just read or listen to podcasts constantly, mostly fiction but also random nonfiction -- anything but politics, which is the only topic I find completely intolerable.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:07 pm
Perhaps my favorite educational moment was in college, the last day of a Quantum Mechanics course, when the Professor said, Just between us, this is all bunk.
Yep. Quantum mechanics is a mess, and physics has been a mess for a hundred years. I remember sitting in class thinking “ You have got to be kidding.”

But unfortunately all current experimental evidence confirms the precepts of quantum mechanics, and despite all logical reasoning and intuitive skepticism, show that it isn’t bunk after all.

There are many pieces missing, and one day we will find them. Should be very interesting.

W B

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I retired last year and have been using some of my newfound free time to study personal finance issues geared toward optimizing our already solid financial situation. We do not have significant pensions, and this gives us a lot of flexibility.
- optimizing income taxes incorporating tax law changes (used various calculators)
- IRMAA
- NIIT
- savers' credit
- Roth conversions (iORP)
- PA property tax rebate
- forecasting our financial situation/ senerio planning (Bigfoot's RMA Calculator) - What a resource! Thanks Bigfoot.
- tweaking our finances to maximize ObamaCare subsidies
- SS claiming options & optimization
- will and health care directive
- PA inheritance tax
- Decumulation strategies - "Living Off Your Money" by McClung
- 529 plans (for grandchild)
- Medicare (supplement vs Advantage plans)
- keep up with only the financial news (e.g. WSJ, Financial Times) while shuning the fake news to the degree possible.
- improving capability with Google Sheets

Also
- fool around with the guitar a little here and there (mainly using YouTube). Nothing meaningful yet.
- learning to do some automotive maintenance beyond what I had time to do when working. YouTube is great for this.

Thought about maybe some college classes but hate to be tied to a schedule.

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 am

sabhen wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:01 pm
Machine learning/deep learning: doing a 3 week course at my old university in July. Readings, podcasts, on-line courses, python programming.
youngpleb wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am
I've been chipping away at a book called "Introduction to Machine Learning using Scikit and Tensorflow" for a while now. I have 2 CS degrees but only ever took 1 ML course in school, and it seems interesting to me so I started studying it on the side. I'm a software dev by day, so I usually reserve my ML studies for weekends to avoid code burnout.

I'm open to any other great ML books/sites too if anybody knows any!
Machine Learning: Me too! I did the Coursera course on Machine Learning (Andrew Ng). I found the course to be difficult given that I am not an engineer. I will likely do a couple other data science related classes at Coursera to understand related topics.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Indeed very difficult.

I am still slugging it out in the corporate world. It is easy to get lost in the laundry list of work and home TODOs.

I hope that you recover fully.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

b.lock

Post by b.lock » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:34 am

Audiobooks during the commute. Usually these are about psychology, behavioral economics, or how to be a better manager.

I am currently doing a lot of maintenance on my car that has been a bit neglected over the last couple of years. YouTube, especially ChrisFix and Eric The Car Guy, have been very helpful for learning what to do and how to do it.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 am

1. Learning how to be retired. Fascinating topic. A big part of the learnng curve involves gaining new insights into what makes me tick. All of this is through self-study.

2, Geosciences. Taking courses at the University.

3. Photography. Learning new camera system by watching YouTube and trial and errror. :)

sunshine18

Post by sunshine18 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 am

finances and personal investments!

rixer

Post by rixer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:27 am

I'm learning lapidary skills. I became a rockhound, joined a club and go on field trips collecting rocks and minerals to work on.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:03 am

Molecular docking. I have a brilliant 21yr old molecular biologist on my staff who is doing some really groundbreaking research in our field; she concurrently has 4 manuscripts in various levels of peer-review. I simply want to understand what the heck she is doing.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 am

Any and all ways to turn W2 income to passive income.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm

CollegePrudens wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 am
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Indeed very difficult.

I am still slugging it out in the corporate world. It is easy to get lost in the laundry list of work and home TODOs.

I hope that you recover fully.
Thank you! I think I am recovering remarkably well. Today, just 8 days after the fall, people don't notice my bruises unless I point them out. I already have to remind myself the lessons I learned when I was in pain, in worry, and in splints.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pejp

Post by pejp » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Basic Algebra.

I passed level 1 of the CFA program in December, and I'm gearing up to start studying for Level 2 later this year (the exam is next June, but I'll start studying around October/November)....I didn't go to college, so the last time I had any formal education in mathematics was nearly 20 years ago. Not ashamed to admit that I really struggle with simple linear algebra, and I got through level 1 through just completely memorizing formulas, rather than having any kind of intuitive understanding. I'd like to change that.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Guitar.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Currently, the history of the Soviet Union.

Before that, the history of physics in the 20th Century.

Before that, the history of the Roman Empire.

Before that, the Second World War.

I like to pick an area I know little about and read 30-40 books in the area. I’m also usually reading something in my own academic field, the history of early modern philosophy.

Andy.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:52 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm
I lived in the Soviet Union but, at the time, the history of our country was thoroughly concealed from us. Reading about it when I got to the Western side of the Iron Curtain was an eye opener.

Victoria

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 pm

At the moment:

*How to Listen to and Understand Great Music from The Great Courses.
*Sailboat racing
*Oracle SQL development.
*Achieving financial independence.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:55 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:52 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm
I lived in the Soviet Union but, at the time, the history of our country was thoroughly concealed from us. Reading about it when I got to the Western side of the Iron Curtain was an eye opener.

Victoria
I bet it was!

I’m only three books in to my life study of this topic, and have already learned so much.

Lifelong learning is wonderful, and having the time to devotee to it is such a powerful privilege.

Andy.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I can totally relate to that ! Learning to appreciate each and every day
and all we take for granted is so important.

March 6th I tripped over some rolled up weatherstripping in my garage
and fell and broke my right arm. I too was stunned-it happened so fast and
what most shocked me were the disabling consequences...and feeling helpless and weak and dependent.
It was a big lesson in humility as I could not drive or cook for several weeks and
for the first few days I could not shower or dress myself without help. I just finished
9 weeks of PT and have recovered about 85% of my range of motion.

If we live each day as if it is our LAST, one day we will be right !!

T-Wrench

Post by T-Wrench » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm

-Personal finance (and so I come here!)
-Python programming
-Marketing and brands
-Intellectual property law and related business tactics
-Theology
-Always learning about new ways to cook!

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 pm

1. Just signed up for a Udacity class on Business Model Canvas.
2. Ballroom dancing
3. Spanish
4. Weightlifting

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm

shell921 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am
I just finished 9 weeks of PT and have recovered about 85% of my range of motion.

shell921,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery of the remaining 15%!

Victoria

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Salsa

shell921

Post by shell921 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm
shell921 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am
I just finished 9 weeks of PT and have recovered about 85% of my range of motion.

shell921,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery of the remaining 15%!

Victoria
Victoria- Thanks so much ! All the best to you in your recovery as well!
Shell

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Riprap wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:56 pm
Aviation.

I managed to get a flight instructor certificate and the instrument rating on that certificate during the last year. It took a lot of studying and learning how to teach. It was very challenging for me.
Well down. I'm working towards earning my PPL, and then hoping to earn additional certificates and ratings. Glad to see other aviation enthusiasts.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 pm

Gymnastics.

Not quite sure why I decided to do this close to 60yo, other than its very difficult.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm
Well down. I'm working towards earning my PPL, and then hoping to earn additional certificates and ratings. Glad to see other aviation enthusiasts.
Good luck with the private pilot. Clear skies and tailwinds!

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm

1. Cooking/ healthy eating
2. Spanish
3. Strength training

dentoid

Post by dentoid » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:09 pm

pejp wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:08 pm
Basic Algebra.

I passed level 1 of the CFA program in December, and I'm gearing up to start studying for Level 2 later this year (the exam is next June, but I'll start studying around October/November)....I didn't go to college, so the last time I had any formal education in mathematics was nearly 20 years ago. Not ashamed to admit that I really struggle with simple linear algebra, and I got through level 1 through just completely memorizing formulas, rather than having any kind of intuitive understanding. I'd like to change that.
This is interesting! Where did you initially start off with math? Did you start with the CFA recommendations or (re)learn stats, etc?

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Relearning Matlab on Coursera. Android app programming on udacity. Bill Evans Waltz for Debbie on Piano.

MAF low heart rate endurance training, per maffetone

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

People management.
Best resource: Manager Tools podcast; High Throughput Management book; Drucker various writings; Radical Candor book

It’s utterly amazing how ignorant I was and still am. My individual contributor skills allowed me to achieve a promotion overseeing other people’s productivity and livelihoods. Poor team! It was a daunting responsibilty and I had zero training (despite several requests). At least great resources exists and most management skills are trainable/learnable.

After 2+ years, I’m really seeing the self-study skills maturing and tangiable benifits of the team having a moderately proficient manager.

pejp

Post by pejp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:08 am

dentoid wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:09 pm
pejp wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:08 pm
Basic Algebra.

This is interesting! Where did you initially start off with math? Did you start with the CFA recommendations or (re)learn stats, etc?
A lot of the CFA L1 curriculum is 'plug and chug'...if you remember the formulas and know how to use the calculator effectively, it's not difficult. However, there were plenty of times where having a more intuitive understanding of algebra would have helped in understanding the material, or at least giving me a more innate sense of what the correct answer is likely to be, or allowing me to reason through the possible answers. It's possible to do well through just memorizing, but it then becomes fairly binary (i.e. you either know it or you don't) whereas having a better quantitative background would help. I haven't really started yet. I've looked at a few online courses and plan to start in early August, so I can go into L2 studying in October.

tnhooper45

Post by tnhooper45 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Cancer and Vietnam

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Grand daughter is having trouble with Biology in college. Checked out a book from the library on the subject and I can see why.

Learning Linux

>75 takes time to get and remember what I just read :D

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Empty hand self-defense/mixed martial arts, refining combat pistol competency, reading widely in the scientific and philosophical literature on happiness, HIIT training, and learning more and more about investing from the amazing people here.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 pm

One of the more difficult things I've had to learn is how to draw. There are rules for the technical aspects of drawing, the true draftsmanship part of it, but the artistic side is pretty much up to the individual - and that's the fun part. I've spent years learning to draw and will always be learning. One of the best pieces of advice I know of is this from the artist Dieter Roth: "If you can't draw something, just draw it." Anyone who is trying to draw something for the first time will soon understand this bit of "magic."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

shell921

Post by shell921 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Strength training
Swing dancing
Tai chi
Meditation

k4carbon

Post by k4carbon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 am

I retired three of years ago. I have taken up chess again (played as teenager and in college) and have bought DVD Chess course from Great Courses and also joined MasterClass online for lessons. I play games on computer Chess with Friends with people from around the world (about 100 games so far).

I also took up golf (it looked so easy on TV) and try to play 4-5 times per month with senior group. I have had a couple dozen lessons from local Pro in past 2 years and play bogey golf and have fun. Now also looking at Pickleball for exercise.

I am an avid reader and read 3-4 books ( science, history, travel, biographies) per month. Last books read were Path between the Seas (read while on Panama Canal cruise), Hue 1968 and now reading Men to Match my Mountains. I have a nice hard cover bound 54 book set of Britannica Great Books collection that I have had 25 years (brother owed me money so he gave me the book collection that he never read and I boxed it up and recently re-discovered) but never read yet so it is next reading target that will take years.