What are you learning or studying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dentoid

What are you learning or studying?

Post by dentoid » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 pm

As it has been stated: "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read"
So aside from your current profession or academic endeavor, what are you studying or learning about these days? And with what resources are you utilizing.

It is sure amazing what is available on Coursera, YouTube, etc, and even picking up an old text book- curious what y'all are learning for fun!
Last edited by dentoid on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNWAbroad

Re: What are you learning or studying?

Post by PNWAbroad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

I recently took a break from my graduate studies to complete a deployment with the Army. While deployed, I've begun the Coursera specialization "Excel to MySQL: Analytic Techniques for Business" from Duke and have been brushing up on my French through Duolingo.

I've enjoyed both resources but I don't think either is a perfect substitute for the classroom experience, particularly the pressure and drive that comes from being surrounded by like-minded peers. Still, much better than nothing!

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Spanish-Ongoing for over 2 years.
Photography-Ongoing for 15 years.
Golf -Ongoing for 55 years

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Post by 2015 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:50 pm

For the past three years I have engaged in a project I've called updating my mental software. As a result, I'm not at all the same person I was three years ago. I've read widely outside the fields of investing, personal finance, and economics, only to learn that those who continually publish in these areas have interests unaligned with my own. These individuals have mortgages to pay, kids to put through school, careers to further, or egos to be stroked. As such, much of what is published in these fields is what to think, not how to think. The greatest danger in remaining in the shallow end of the learning pool is that not that you will fail to create the most clever portfolio. That danger lies in failing to spend time understanding our faulty, biologically-based human decision-making process and the catastrophic effect that can have on even the most cleverly designed portfolios.

An extremely valuable heuristic I've found is that as you change the inputs in your life--what you read, who you associate with, what you place your attention on--so the quality of your life changes. Outputs can change quite dramatically depending on the quality of changed inputs.

imareal1

Post by imareal1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm

25yo actuary here...Studying for my first FSA exam. It's on everything related to group and health insurance. Using online seminar. :sharebeer

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm

1. Reading lots of parenting books and forums. A good way to find whatever answer you want to be true.
2. Youtube videos on various home and car projects.
3. Not necessarily any practical use in my life but I like to dive in to topics. I just finished reading a whole bunch of books on the Apollo program. I'm considering next reading the Evans trilogy on the Third Reich. About 2500 pages or 88 hours audio. Might have to wait until the kids are older for that one.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:32 pm

In short EVERYTHING. I have an exceptional memory (I can remember events, names, numbers from 20 years ago like yesterday) and my single biggest skill is my ability to quickly learn, retain and apply information. I am constantly learning from business classes, technical news, health information, investing skills, etc. I use online resources, books, audio books, and most other sources of information.

This passion for knowledge and skills has resulted in on average doubling my income every 6 years.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:43 pm

This should be a good discussion.

For the past two years I have been learning how to dance. It has been fun. I am also beginning to learn a foreign language.

I read pretty widely on culture and current events.

I try to learn as much as possible about Finance and Economics; not for the purposes of investing, but about how the world works. Finance affects our lives in enormous ways yet we study it to a very limited formal extent. Basically, I am a nerd.

I also enjoy learning about the law, including in particular Constitutional Law. I enjoy several legal podcasts too, whose names I shall not divulge; if you're meant to enjoy them you've already heard of them.

Most of my time is devoted to my academic endeavors though, in which I read a great many papers.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:47 pm

We get Lynda (aka LinkedIn learning) free from our library. I am working on becoming an Excel power user. I'm thinking about trying the accounting courses next.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm

What am I learning or studying?

Several things:

1. Learning Trigonometry functions and other math using a slide rule. I have a couple of old textbooks.
2. Studying binary stars, using my telescope to identify and "resolve" as many binary or double stars as possible. Also hope to spot the Great Red Spot on Jupiter tonight (or soon) if seeing conditions warrant.
3. Recently I have been studying the final years of the Erie Lackawanna Railroad which was folded in Conrail on April 1, 1976 and ceased to exist.Ed
4. Slowly learning how to fingerstyle the guitar. It is difficult for me to have both hands performing correctly at the same time.
5. In about 10 days I will begin a 6 part tutorial on the use of Microsoft Outlook thru my employer.

Ed

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

MP173 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm
What am I learning or studying?

3. Recently I have been studying the final years of the Erie Lackawanna Railroad which was folded in Conrail on April 1, 1976 and ceased to exist.Ed
You can still see some remnants of this in everyday life. The name is still emblazoned on what is now Hoboken terminal across the river from NYC and is one of the destinations of NJT and PATH. But, I am sure you knew that all that already! :D
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

mega317 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm
1. Reading lots of parenting books and forums. A good way to find whatever answer you want to be true.
2. Youtube videos on various home and car projects.
Same. Have a parenting audio book playing right now during commute, and a paperback from a different author at home for the evenings after work. Agree that it is very difficult to avoid confirmation bias on this topic. When not reading, YouTube is a primary source of information. Seems you and I do things a lot alike.

Also enjoyed OP's quote about being the same person in 5 years if one doesn't read or meet new people. Completely agree. I like to think there are two kinds of people in the world: those who read books and grow, and those who don't.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Learning about off grid living, radiant heating systems, and energy efficiency home designs. YouTube, internet, medium of choice.

DA

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:37 pm

It depends on the day. I basically tore up my front and back yard when I retired. Now I'm researching growth size of plants and trees, visiting nurseries, reconsidering, watering and repeat. Its going to be 100 degrees tomorrow so back to studying Spanish - I'm good at grammar but have to learn the vocabulary. I watch my soaps in the evening. Sometimes amusing or barely tolerable. I'm not travelling now so not reading about my next destination. I will restart Spanish in the fall and maybe photography again at the community college.
Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:42 pm

I am currently learning to speak Italian for an upcoming trip later this year. Using a 6 month subscription to Rosetta Stone, which cost $77. I will cancel it before they auto-renew me and start charging a much higher price. I am spending about 50 minutes per day over a 20 week period to complete the course.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:45 pm

During the last few years I've been doing volunteer work for a local charity. I have been learning step by step, starting literally with the foundation, how to build a house.

I have always been a diy amateur handyman with my own houses performing small to medium projects,and thought I already was pretty proficient in general carpentry, etc. I was wrong. Nothing has been as learning intensive in terms of total knowledge acquired, as being heavily involved in building several houses (and doing it right) from the ground up to completion.

sjl333

Post by sjl333 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 pm

I’m pretty ambitious so I have been reading a ton of stuff across various topics. Books like how not to die (health book, I turned vegan because of this), the innovators by Walter Isaac son, learning Korean, teaching myself how to code, upgrading my skill set and knowledge in my field ... learning never ends...

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 pm

I am a more than a little hesitant about posting what I am trying to learn, because some Forum members will derisively be calling 'Bravo Sierra" on me. Oh, well. In any case, for the past year and a half, I have been studying the mathematical foundations of both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Why? Because before I depart from this mortal coil, I want to have at least an inkling of what the greatest Physics and Mathematics minds of the 20th Century proposed about how this Universe functions. And not in words, but in mathematical symbols.

How am I doing? No surprise, it is very difficult. My best analogy is that of a person waking up every day and beating their head against a wall for 8 hours until one concept finally crystallizes and makes sense. Then wash and repeat. It is not like learning Mandarin Chinese, rather it is like trying to comprehend sophomore year Martian. I can understand Tensor Calculus machinations up until two indices, then my cerebrum short circuits and I reach for a Guinness (or three). And there I remain stuck right now.

The only advantage to this masochism is that if you can continue to absorb one basic concept every three days, then you know that senile dementia has not yet locked in to your cerebral hemispheres. If you might desire to trod the same rocky path, excellent introductory texts are available for free in PDF format by Googling: Liboff and Griffiths for QM, Schutz and Carroll (course notes) for GR. Don't say I didn't give you fair warning.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 pm
I am a more than a little hesitant about posting what I am trying to learn, because some Forum members will derisively be calling 'Bravo Sierra" on me. Oh, well. In any case, for the past year and a half, I have been studying the mathematical foundations of both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Why? Because before I depart from this mortal coil, I want to have at least an inkling of what the greatest Physics and Mathematics minds of the 20th Century proposed about how this Universe functions. And not in words, but in mathematical symbols.

How am I doing? No surprise, it is very difficult. My best analogy is that of a person waking up every day and beating their head against a wall for 8 hours until one concept finally crystallizes and makes sense. Then wash and repeat. It is not like learning Mandarin Chinese, rather it is like trying to comprehend sophomore year Martian. I can understand Tensor Calculus machinations up until two indices, then my cerebrum short circuits and I reach for a Guinness (or three). And there I remain stuck right now.

The only advantage to this masochism is that if you can continue to absorb one basic concept every three days, then you know that senile dementia has not yet locked in to your cerebral hemispheres. If you might desire to trod the same rocky path, excellent introductory texts are available for free in PDF format by Googling: Liboff and Griffiths for QM, Schutz and Carroll (course notes) for GR. Don't say I didn't give you fair warning.
Certainly a challenging and worthy endeavor. At the risk of drifting off topic, but perhaps not as it concerns ongoing learning, my suspicion is that even the most sophisticated math as it currently exists will never come close to describing the actual reality behind QM. An analogy I think about, that perhaps partially fits is that the mathematics supporting the standard model, mutiverse, Mbrane, string theory, etc. all inadvertently describe the interaction and mechanics of images forming a movie being projected on a screen, but without being aware of either the projector or the film, therefore doomed to at best simple explanations that always lead to fundamental dead ends. For a possibly more apt description, by a slightly better writer, see Plato's "Allegory of the Cave".
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

sjl333

Post by sjl333 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:

Lol I was giggling while reading your post... nice sense of humor ... good luck !

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:09 pm

I’ve signed up for some web development courses at Udemy.com. Newer technology than I used in my work life. I also am learning to relax and enjoy retirement.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Improving my guitar.
Self taught ukulele, banjo, and cigar box guitar.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lws

Post by lws » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Learning to program in Python just for mental exercise.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:58 pm

My 2018 pet project has literally been this site. I had only rudimentary knowledge about securities markets and “paper product” investing before this year. It took about three months of random education for me to arrive here, and from this site I’ve branched off into macroeconomics, modern portfolio theory, fund management, and mountains of academic research referenced by long-term Bogleheads.

This site has been so influential that later this year I will likely take the Series 65 exam so that I can legally (required in my state) advise my clients (not investment related) to do the 3-fund portfolio.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:58 pm

[double post]
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:01 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:

Certainly a challenging and worthy endeavor. At the risk of drifting off topic, but perhaps not as it concerns ongoing learning, my suspicion is that even the most sophisticated math as it currently exists will never come close to describing the actual reality behind QM. An analogy I think about, that perhaps partially fits is that the mathematics supporting the standard model, mutiverse, Mbrane, string theory, etc. all inadvertently describe the interaction and mechanics of images forming a movie being projected on a screen, but without being aware of either the projector or the film, therefore doomed to at best simple explanations that always lead to fundamental dead ends. For a possibly more apt description, by a slightly better writer, see Aristotle's "Allegory of the Cave".
Did you mean Plato?

I first encountered that metaphor in reading The Republic. (A long time ago)

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:01 am
jabberwockOG wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:

Certainly a challenging and worthy endeavor. At the risk of drifting off topic, but perhaps not as it concerns ongoing learning, my suspicion is that even the most sophisticated math as it currently exists will never come close to describing the actual reality behind QM. An analogy I think about, that perhaps partially fits is that the mathematics supporting the standard model, mutiverse, Mbrane, string theory, etc. all inadvertently describe the interaction and mechanics of images forming a movie being projected on a screen, but without being aware of either the projector or the film, therefore doomed to at best simple explanations that always lead to fundamental dead ends. For a possibly more apt description, by a slightly better writer, see Aristotle's "Allegory of the Cave".
Did you mean Plato?

I first encountered that metaphor in reading The Republic. (A long time ago)

Yes - sorry - I meant Plato. I will correct the reference. Thanks

diy60

Post by diy60 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:40 am

Learning VBA, Visual Basic for Applications, so that I can automate my ridiculously complex investment spreadsheet. :happy

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 am

1. The Bible and related study
2. Marriage topics
3. Parenting topics
4. Real estate investing
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:50 am

Finished the Yale Positive Psychology course on coursera recently

Have a topic of study each year, this year it is Vedanta
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

rikki

Post by rikki » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 am

Formal learning:
I participate in my community's "Five College Learning in Retirement" program actively (it follows a college term schedule so I'm off for the summer): Four courses in the last calendar year including one on the Arctic Explorers, and one on Hitler and the Rise of Fascism. These are collaboratively taught and moderated, so each seminar participant researches and presents a one hour talk with slides. I enjoyed using primary sources, reading Fridtjof Nansen's 2 volume book on his voyages to Greenland and attempt to reach the North Pole (the books were housed at the local library archives, amazingly).

I am also learning to do sweep rowing and sculling. Three days a week, 10 of us spend 2.5 hours on the Connecticut River learning to row as a single beautiful motion. We've seen otters, eagles, and amazing sunsets. Our coach is a 25 year old graduate student who is a paragon of patience and encouragement.

Informal learning: My son and I renovated a fixer-upper house together starting in November of last year. Together, we learned how to demolish properly, tile walls and floors, cut and install trim, use a jig to install lock sets and passage sets, and we built an IKEA kitchen ourselves. We used the internet extensively, coached each other, and did some trial and error. The house is now complete and was listed for sale yesterday!

Emiliania

Post by Emiliania » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Given that I am close to retirement, I am no longer studying to keep up in my high-tech field. Instead, I am focusing on topics that interest me and topics that I will need to know in retirement:
Personal Finance (of course!) taxes, withdrawal strategies, insurance.
Medicine: Physiology, pathophysiology and navigation of the US health care “system”.
And Spanish – because Plan C in my retirement plan (prolonged bear market) is to move someplace much cheaper.

Can others recommend other topics I should learn that will help me in my future?

Post by 2015 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Emiliania wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:50 pm
Given that I am close to retirement, I am no longer studying to keep up in my high-tech field. Instead, I am focusing on topics that interest me and topics that I will need to know in retirement:
Personal Finance (of course!) taxes, withdrawal strategies, insurance.
Medicine: Physiology, pathophysiology and navigation of the US health care “system”.
And Spanish – because Plan C in my retirement plan (prolonged bear market) is to move someplace much cheaper.

Can others recommend other topics I should learn that will help me in my future?
My favorite retirement planning book remains "What Color Is Your Parachute For Retirement". I read that book well over 3 years ago, copied my favorite pages, and was rereading it while standing in shopping lines as I ran errands this morning. It was like reading it all over again as I saw the contents in an entirely different light now that I've been retired 3 years. I highly recommend it.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... CDU&adurl=

On my list next year is learning Tai Chi and taking an improv class for some fun.

david_that_guy

Post by david_that_guy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:15 pm

French. In my first year of retirement, I wasn’t that serious. I spent about 30 minutes a day using various language apps. Then 10 months ago I decided to get serious and set a goal of being fluent. I spend 15 - 20 hours a week watching YouTube videos, documentaries, and listening to podcasts all in French. I also have been reading novels in French and recently started talking to French people by Skype in exchange for helping with their English. I feel like I’m in a race with time by starting so late in life but I love a challenge and enjoy learning.

I’m also hoping there’s a bonus in that challenging myself may delay cognitive decline.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:

Thanks for the interesting post.

No need to call 'Bravo Sierra' -- those are serious books to seriously study QM and GR from, so you're on the right path. Good luck, with dedicated study you'll get something out of it. I enjoyed both topics when I studied them, but I'm glad I'm not directly in those fields.

dentoid

Post by dentoid » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:59 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:

are you in a science or math field? What was your previous formal training in math/physics? Pretty inspiring, and I hope your enriching journey continues!

Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Fingerstyle guitar. Try to master a new song every 2-4 weeks.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

hfj

Post by hfj » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Piano. I'm mediocre, but my daughter is a pretty good flute player, so we've been working on some flute pieces with piano accompaniment together. It's a lot of fun, but I have to practice a fair bit just to kind of keep up.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:40 pm

triceratop wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:

Thanks for the interesting post.

No need to call 'Bravo Sierra' -- those are serious books to seriously study QM and GR from, so you're on the right path. Good luck, with dedicated study you'll get something out of it. I enjoyed both topics when I studied them, but I'm glad I'm not directly in those fields.
Your supportive words are much appreciated. :happy (BTW, guess what my favorite dinosaur was when I was a kid?)

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 pm

dentoid wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:59 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:

are you in a science or math field? What was your previous formal training in math/physics? Pretty inspiring, and I hope your enriching journey continues!
Bachelor's in Chemistry with a Math minor. I thank the Gods that I took a semester of Linear Algebra, because you absolutely need to understand it for reading these two subjects!

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Aviation.

I managed to get a flight instructor certificate and the instrument rating on that certificate during the last year. It took a lot of studying and learning how to teach. It was very challenging for me.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 pm

I've seen a few people say they are trying to learn fingerstyle guitar, that is a worthwhile pursuit. I've been playing that way for 30 years, and I still have much to learn. As the great Leo Kottke says: "The first step in learning fingerstyle is to learn the patterns. The second step is to unlearn the patterns."

I am trying to learn more music theory these days, understanding how certain notes add flavors to chords.

Minot

Post by Minot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 pm

2015 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm

On my list next year is learning Tai Chi and taking an improv class for some fun.
I'm currently learning Tai Chi and at age 81 finding it harder than I expected--but worth it so far, even though I'm often tempted to skip practicing.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Reading and learning about the universe, decluttering my living space, yoga, how not to kill houseplants, photography.

sabhen

Post by sabhen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:01 pm

German: Reading german newspapers, watching german news, occasional visits to Germany
Machine learning/deep learning: doing a 3 week course at my old university in July. Readings, podcasts, on-line courses, python programming.
Finance/business/economy: readings, podcasts (while walking/running)
General non-fiction: stoicism etc..

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am

I've been chipping away at a book called "Introduction to Machine Learning using Scikit and Tensorflow" for a while now. I have 2 CS degrees but only ever took 1 ML course in school, and it seems interesting to me so I started studying it on the side. I'm a software dev by day, so I usually reserve my ML studies for weekends to avoid code burnout.

I'm open to any other great ML books/sites too if anybody knows any!
27. Always learning.

JacK 098

Post by JacK 098 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

I took a ten week course to learn MIG and Stick Welding.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am

- issues related to choosing a domicile
- issues related to a nomadic lifestyle
- issues related to going paperless
- how to come up with the perfect recipe for a Paloma cocktail
- learning to live in the now
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Beensabu

Post by Beensabu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Cognitive bias
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."