Cheapest way to buy a phone in 2018?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pierremonfrere

Cheapest way to buy a phone in 2018?

Post by pierremonfrere »

Back in the day (2015), I bought my current iPhone 6 Plus at Best Buy. I got a discount for trading in my old phone plus they were offering a rebate which could be applied to the phone purchase. Total cost of my phone, if I recall, was about $250. I paid for the phone upfront and owned it free and clear. I had to sign a 2 year contract (with Sprint), but I didn’t care since I’d already been with them for the better part of a decade. Over the the life of the phone, it’s averaged to less than $7 a month.

I’m starting to have issues with my phone now and it’s gonna need to be replaced soon. But I can no longer buy a subsidized phone. All the marketing makes it sound like a good deal, but I don’t get it. You have to lease a phone for 18-24 months, after which you either lease a new phone or get the privilege of paying the full price for the (now old) phone.

I’ve checked the local classifieds and people either want near full price for used phones, or the deals seem to good to be true (stolen or fake, etc.)

So in 2018 what is the cheapest way to buy a phone outright, then keep it til it doesn’t work anymore? I want a newer phone, but would be fine getting the previous generation (galaxy s8 instead of s9)
craimund

Re: Cheapest way to buy a phone in 2018?

Post by craimund »

I've been buying used IPhones on EBay for years and have had only positive experiences. Just bought two IPhone SEs for the kids. Purchased my current IPhone 6 on EBay years ago. In order to save, need to buy older generation phones. Maybe a 7 or 7 Plus. The SE is a great deal if you are OK with a smaller phone. Make sure the phone is compatible with your network and provider.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

What kind of problems? A $29 battery replacement might breath new life into the phone. Or you might try backing up and resetting the phone. Best if you can setup as new phone and selectively restore data, rather than restore the corrupt apps and data right back onto the reset phone.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
student

Post by student »

It seems that these days you can only get a free phone if you switch company. Both T-Mobile and AT&T have BOGO for selected phones (high end). Cricket Wireless gives you a free phone when you switch (low end). Boost Mobile gives you an iphone 6 for $50 if you switch.
Last edited by student on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just buy new stock old model phones. They are generally heavily discounted.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Buy used, buy 1 version before not the latest and greatest. Get it from swappa or eBay. Pick the one with slight scratch to the screen, buy a glass screen protector to make it new again. You should get more than 50% discount if you follow this.
Terpfan3

Post by Terpfan3 »

I bought a Huawei Android phone on Amazon for $240. It looks like a copy of an iphone and functions as well as any high end Android phone. I've had it for 3 months and it has been great.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Join T-Mobile and get buy one get one free deal.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I usually buy new phones within the 3 months initially following their release. That's when the best trade-in deals occur. Last year, we traded in an iPhone 6 for half off an iPhone 8. That's $350 for a phone worth $200 at best. The catch was the credit was paid back with 24 months of service.

I don't see any specials occurring currently for single lines. You may have to wait until October.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

If you want to stick to iOS, get a 6S or 6S Plus refurbished on eBay. These got a big bump in memory (not to be confused with storage) from the 6/6 Plus, and the difference in speed is quite noticeable, much more so than with later generations (7/8/X).

If you don't mind Android, the best value is Motorola's Moto line. The Moto G is the midrange, Moto E is even cheaper. You can get the latest Moto G6 Plus unlocked from Amazon for $235; the older G5 is even cheaper.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

My wife and I had Sprint and old dumb phones - paid about $75/month.

Then, our son added us to his Sprint plan, we got new smart phones (Moto 4) - and pay 1/2 of his 4 phone Sprint plan. We got new smart phones and only pay about $65/month for BOTH - and this includes the monthly fee for the phone purchase. These 4 or 5 phone plans are great - if you can find the right folks to be with.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

You can get a new S9 for $499 if you switch to Cricket Wireless. That is a pretty solid discount.

It does require transferring your number/service in though.

Samsung often offers trade-in discounts from their website. Swappa and eBay and Craigslist are other options.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

02nz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am If you don't mind Android, the best value is Motorola's Moto line. The Moto G is the midrange, Moto E is even cheaper. You can get the latest Moto G6 Plus unlocked from Amazon for $235; the older G5 is even cheaper.
I jumped off the Apple cart when a video I was shooting failed to record the sound. I bought a Moto G4 for $150 through Consumer Cellular. Best phone I ever had. I accidentally broke the screen and am probably gonna buy the Moto G5 Plus through my provider Consumer Cellular or eBay.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/808/Details (costs more but you can pay $25/month - and great customer service)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-G-Plus-5t ... 1438.l2649 (cheaper but seller doesn't accept returns so there is risk involved)
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dumbbunny wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 am
02nz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am If you don't mind Android, the best value is Motorola's Moto line. The Moto G is the midrange, Moto E is even cheaper. You can get the latest Moto G6 Plus unlocked from Amazon for $235; the older G5 is even cheaper.
I jumped off the Apple cart when a video I was shooting failed to record the sound. I bought a Moto G4 for $150 through Consumer Cellular. Best phone I ever had. I accidentally broke the screen and am probably gonna buy the Moto G5 Plus through my provider Consumer Cellular or eBay.
https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/808/Details (costs more but you can pay $25/month - and great customer service)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-G-Plus-5t ... 1438.l2649 (cheaper but seller doesn't accept returns so there is risk involved)
Yes - DW and I like our Moto4 smart phones a lot. Only $6/month each on our son's Sprint plan. I think we "own" then in about 18 months or so.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Having others on your cell phone plan (where they can run up big bills) can be risky, but if you can find responsible folks - that can save a lot. Our son's sprint plan has up to 5 phones (has 4 now) with unlimited data, texts, calls - and up to 10MB hot spot (don't use now). Also get HULU free :)

NO risk to DW and I because it is in his name - and he is (now, finally) quite responsible. :happy
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I was in the same boat when my S4 broke. I found phone prices had increased and I couldn't stand the thought of spending $500-900 for a new phone. At the same time I did not want to buy a budget phone because of security and usability. When it comes to cars I buy them a couple years old, but I like to stay higher on the phone technology curve.

I got a Moto X4 through Project Fi for $249, financed free for 2 years. They have a $199 option too. These phones are Android One phones which get Android updates for life. It has a fingerprint sensor and a good camera and still has an SD card slot and headphone jack. I'm happy with everything but Google's customer service.
Topic Author
pierremonfrere

Post by pierremonfrere »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My screen is becoming unresponsive at times and it does this weird flickering thing near the top, so I’m not sure if a new battery will help. I can still get a full days use out of a single charge.

I’m on a family plan now and pay $40/month for unlimited everything. I wouldn’t mind switching to get a deal, but convincing others would be more difficult. Maybe if a call Sprint and threaten to switch they will offer some phone deal.

I’m also open to switching to android, so I’ll check out those options as well.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

pierremonfrere wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
My screen is becoming unresponsive at times and it does this weird flickering thing near the top, so I’m not sure if a new battery will help. I can still get a full days use out of a single charge.
I’m on a family plan now and pay $40/month for unlimited everything. I wouldn’t mind switching to get a deal, but convincing others would be more difficult. Maybe if a call Sprint and threaten to switch they will offer some phone deal.
I’m also open to switching to android, so I’ll check out those options as well.
Maybe if the others on the "family plan" could save a few dollars and/or get new/better phones - they might move. Today, as far as I know, you can keep your same number from one plan/provider to another. You are on Sprint now?? If so, call them and ask for the $100/month plan for 4-5 phones (plus taxes and charge for new phone). Out Moto4 phones on Sprint are only $6/month each.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

28fe6 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:34 pm I was in the same boat when my S4 broke. I found phone prices had increased and I couldn't stand the thought of spending $500-900 for a new phone. At the same time I did not want to buy a budget phone because of security and usability. When it comes to cars I buy them a couple years old, but I like to stay higher on the phone technology curve.

I got a Moto X4 through Project Fi for $249, financed free for 2 years. They have a $199 option too. These phones are Android One phones which get Android updates for life. It has a fingerprint sensor and a good camera and still has an SD card slot and headphone jack. I'm happy with everything but Google's customer service.
Phone prices haven't increased, in fact good phones are more affordable than ever, and the cheap phones (under $200) are also better than ever. It may appear that phones have become more expensive, because the pricing model has changed. It used to be that you paid $199 for an iPhone, but you had to sign a 2-year contract for a very expensive plan. The plan's price contained a subsidy for the low upfront price of the phone. But even after the contract, you continued to pay the inflated monthly price, which was typically $70 and up for one line.

Carriers have largely moved away from this model, thanks in large part to T-Mobile. You now see the real cost of the phone, and can choose to pay in full up front or do a monthly payment plan. The advantage over the old subsidy model is that once the phone is paid off, you're no longer paying an inflated monthly price. The monthly cost of a line is far, far lower than before.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Wait until a holiday, I've got my last 3 iPhones for effectively half off. I got my iPhone 7 plus for $19 a month (normally $39) the December before last only a couple months after it was released. I also got two iPhone 7s for $19 a month (normally $40 a month at their high storage levels) by just watching for promotions. Because they usually offer the discount as a bill credit you don't necessarily want to buy the phone outright, payment plans are 0% interest.

Verizon tends to offer the best discounts followed by Sprint which unfortunately has a network that can only be described as a complete and utter nightmare (I stuck with them for 3 years as they repeatedly promised to improve their network and miserably failed). Sometimes it's better to buy the phone through BestBuy than direct through carrier, you'll get a bigger discount. Verizon ALWAYS runs very good Father's Day and Mother's day promotions and there will be at least two this fall with very good discounts.

If you don't want to wait for a promotion Glyde is a good way to go, I've had good luck with "Excellent" rated phones, the past few years I haven't used them because I've been able to get brand new iPhones for significantly less than buying a used one.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Check Out Letgo.
It shows what is for sale locally.
I have sold alot of items on it,,including
2 Samsung phones,

:happy

https://us.letgo.com/en
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

If you want an Android phone used is a very good way to go, Android phones depreciate extremely rapidly and have very little value even 12 months after release. iPhones depreciate much more slowly so you can often find a discount on a new phone that makes it as good or better than buying a used phone.

The last two iPhones I sold I actually made a profit on because I got large discounts on the phones, the price that I sold them for two years later was higher than the sum of the payments I'd made.
Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me »

We live in an area where Verizon is really the only quality provider of service. If you are in the same boat, and want a new phone, I would agree with the person who said the best deals on a new phone are typically in December, after Thanksgiving. 18 months ago I did a deal where we traded in all the family phones except my wife and got new iphone 7's. Then two weeks later, they had an even better deal and you could keep your old phone... Just becuase I was curious I watched last year and it was the same thing, best deals in mid-December.

I would also agree with eBay for used phones. I have bought three phones over the years, including an iphone 6s recently as a backup while my iphone 7 had to be repaired by Apple. Paid $210 for a phone that still retails for $550 new. I look for individual sellers, selling their own phones, who have good ratings and use screen protectors and cases. I tend avoid the sellers that sell lots of refurbished phones, but that's just personal preference.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

pierremonfrere wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:53 am Back in the day (2015), I bought my current iPhone 6 Plus at Best Buy. I got a discount for trading in my old phone plus they were offering a rebate which could be applied to the phone purchase. Total cost of my phone, if I recall, was about $250. I paid for the phone upfront and owned it free and clear. I had to sign a 2 year contract (with Sprint), but I didn’t care since I’d already been with them for the better part of a decade. Over the the life of the phone, it’s averaged to less than $7 a month.

I’m starting to have issues with my phone now and it’s gonna need to be replaced soon. But I can no longer buy a subsidized phone. All the marketing makes it sound like a good deal, but I don’t get it. You have to lease a phone for 18-24 months, after which you either lease a new phone or get the privilege of paying the full price for the (now old) phone.

I’ve checked the local classifieds and people either want near full price for used phones, or the deals seem to good to be true (stolen or fake, etc.)

So in 2018 what is the cheapest way to buy a phone outright, then keep it til it doesn’t work anymore? I want a newer phone, but would be fine getting the previous generation (galaxy s8 instead of s9)
if you have an interest in iphones Target has sale until tomorrow, buy an iphone 8 get $200 off or buy a iphone 7 get a $250 targrt giftcard. details can be found at target.com. I didnt see the details on android based phones since I was sticking with apple.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Also the 18-24 month payments aren't a lease, it's a 0% purchase payment plan so at the end you own the phone free and clear. Unless you can't cash flow the payments there's no reason to pay for the phone up front, you are better off making the payments and paying 0% interest and investing the money you would have used to pay the for the phone.

Usually 12 months into the payment plan you have the option of returning the phone and purchasing a new phone with NO penalty so you can get a new phone once a year if you don't mind perpetually having a phone payment.
delamer

Post by delamer »

helloeveryone wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 pm
pierremonfrere wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:53 am Back in the day (2015), I bought my current iPhone 6 Plus at Best Buy. I got a discount for trading in my old phone plus they were offering a rebate which could be applied to the phone purchase. Total cost of my phone, if I recall, was about $250. I paid for the phone upfront and owned it free and clear. I had to sign a 2 year contract (with Sprint), but I didn’t care since I’d already been with them for the better part of a decade. Over the the life of the phone, it’s averaged to less than $7 a month.

if you have an interest in iphones Target has sale until tomorrow, buy an iphone 8 get $200 off or buy a iphone 7 get a $250 targrt giftcard. details can be found at target.com. I didnt see the details on android based phones since I was sticking with apple.
I bought my current phone through my service provider (long since paid for). Let’s say I buy a new phone through Target.

How do I transfer my service to the new phone?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I bought my current phone through my service provider (long since paid for). Let’s say I buy a new phone through Target.
Contact your service provider... They do that all the time.
student

Post by student »

delamer wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm I bought my current phone through my service provider (long since paid for). Let’s say I buy a new phone through Target.

Don't buy it from Target. AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket etc are giving low end phone if you transfer a line. They will take care of things for you.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

delamer wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm
helloeveryone wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Target activates the new phone with your existing provider. ATT does charge a $25 transfer fee which is annoying compared to just buying an unlocked phone full price and just popping the SIM card in. Having said that it's still $200 off if you happen to be in the market for that phone.

The whole process too ~20-25 minutes or so. I walked out with my new phone activated.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I bought my last phone through Target. They had pretty good deals then.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I bought a super cheap GSM phone that was 'locked' to particular pre-paid service provider, then got a unlock code for the phone and used it on a different MVNO that offered a super cheap pre-paid plan.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Phones have improved so much. I would buy the cheapest unlocked newest generation phone. I purchased a Moto G5 Plus for under $200 and the Moto E4 for the kids for $120. One child has a $3/mo plan for 30 texts/calls plus 10 cents per text/minute thereafter from T-Mobile and the other has unlimited text/talk plus 2 GB data from Mint for $15/mo.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

You might also take a look at Amazon's "Prime Exclusive Phones". With Prime membership and a willingness to accept a few pre-installed Amazon apps, there are some decent deals. They currently offer 5 models this way, and (unsurprisingly) no Apple. Got my wife a LG G6 from this program and have been very happy (current price via this deal is $380 vs. list of $700). Some are great deals, some are mediocre, but it may be worth a quick look.

If you want to go the used route, also consider using the Nextdoor app. It's local neighborhood social media, and I've seen lots of ads lately in my area for iphones and other used brands. Basically, it's neighbors advertising to neighbors. Just another source, but local. You can either look through posted sales offers, or even make your own offer for a phone you want.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I bought two new Moto X4's for $125ea. Nice camera, finger print sensor, latest android.

The catch was that a $250 credit was given by Google (so I had to pay $500), but get that money back on subsequent monthly bills. For two people, bill is usually $60-90. $90 when my wife is traveling a lot and using $30 worth of facebook, since their data is pay for actual usage.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Cycle wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 am I bought two new Moto X4's for $125ea. Nice camera, finger print sensor, latest android.
The catch was that a $250 credit was given by Google (so I had to pay $500), but get that money back on subsequent monthly bills. For two people, bill is usually $60-90. $90 when my wife is traveling a lot and using $30 worth of facebook, since their data is pay for actual usage.
I think that is about the amount we will end up paying for our Moto4 phones at $6/month with our Sprint plan. DW and I are very happy with the phones.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

pierremonfrere wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

You may want to wait until September, the new ios12 is focused on improving performance. The iOS upgrade will be free and make older iPhones feel more responsive. That software upgrade may breathe new life into your old phone and cost you nothing.

CNET has already tested the beta version of iOS 12 on an iPhone 5s and found quite significant performance improvements. This is using a beta version of iOS 12 so the final version in September should be better.

https://www.cnet.com/videos/ios-12-beta ... er-phones/

I had an iPhone 6 and often times the screen became unresponsive and lagged. It was my least favorite iPhone but hopefully the software update will help you
Topic Author
pierremonfrere

Post by pierremonfrere »

For those who have used Swappa, what condition of phone did you buy?
There seems to be lots of good deals there, but most phones are listed in fair condition.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

If you are still at sprint then bestbuy usually offer decent discounts for 24 month installment purchases for the latest flagship.

For example right now you can get the s9 at $300 off. $20.50x24 months = $492 + $30 upgrade fee + tax on the full price. S9+ is on sale too.

Make sure you choose 24 month installments rather than 18 mo leases with bill credits and final balloon payments to own them. With 24 month installme ts what you see is what you pay. You can pay it all off on day 1 if you want and still get the full discount.

Otherwise go used at swappa.com. Yes make sure you read the listings and look at the photos. avoid fair.
Topic Author
pierremonfrere

Post by pierremonfrere »

ssquared87 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

You may want to wait until September, the new ios12 is focused on improving performance. The iOS upgrade will be free and make older iPhones feel more responsive. That software upgrade may breathe new life into your old phone and cost you nothing.

CNET has already tested the beta version of iOS 12 on an iPhone 5s and found quite significant performance improvements. This is using a beta version of iOS 12 so the final version in September should be better.

https://www.cnet.com/videos/ios-12-beta ... er-phones/

I had an iPhone 6 and often times the screen became unresponsive and lagged. It was my least favorite iPhone but hopefully the software update will help you
We will see if I can wait that long. Performance seems to be getting worse by the day. It’s not just lag time, there was a full 5 minutes where the screen was completely frozen. I couldn’t even reboot to see if that would help.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

pierremonfrere wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 am For those who have used Swappa, what condition of phone did you buy?
There seems to be lots of good deals there, but most phones are listed in fair condition.
I bought two phones from Swappa, one over 3 years ago and the other a few months ago. I believe both were listed as good condition. The first was a iphone 5c and back then sellers had good close up pictures with the correct lighting so you could see the condition of the screen/corners/back of the phone, it literally looked like new when it arrived. The second an iphone 6plus only had the "stock" pictures you see of Swappa so you could tell the screen wasn't broken but maybe not be able to see small scratches. The phone was in almost new condition. I suspect the fair condition ones will have at least one easily noticeable flaw like a few scratches on the screen or a dent on a corner from a fall or some such.
If I am stupid I will pay.
mxs

Post by mxs »

If you go the Motorola route pay attention to exactly what model you get because a g6 is not as good as a g5s plus, unless you are talking about the g6 plus, which is not really available in the US (probably can get it online though). That is one example, and they are currently selling 10 or more models. Screen size / phone size is another important consideration, as I wouldn't want a phone any bigger than my g5s plus. Personally, I would go with either the g5s plus as a value phone or pixel 2 as a high end phone on the Android side. 6s, SE, or 7 on the Apple side should be good, unless you really want to hold on to it for a while, then either 8 or X on the high end.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

dm200 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 am
I think that is about the amount we will end up paying for our Moto4 phones at $6/month with our Sprint plan. DW and I are very happy with the phones.
I was most impressed with how long the battery lasts. The X4 at that price really makes phones seem like a commodity, and make me wonder why people would drop $600 on a "premium" phone. Advertising.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Cycle wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 am
dm200 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 am I think that is about the amount we will end up paying for our Moto4 phones at $6/month with our Sprint plan. DW and I are very happy with the phones.
I was most impressed with how long the battery lasts. The X4 at that price really makes phones seem like a commodity, and make me wonder why people would drop $600 on a "premium" phone. Advertising.
My wife and I just took the default or low price ones when we switched Sprint plans. At the time the Moto4 was new and low price. Turned out very well.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

mxs wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm If you go the Motorola route pay attention to exactly what model you get because a g6 is not as good as a g5s plus, unless you are talking about the g6 plus, which is not really available in the US (probably can get it online though). That is one example, and they are currently selling 10 or more models. Screen size / phone size is another important consideration, as I wouldn't want a phone any bigger than my g5s plus. Personally, I would go with either the g5s plus as a value phone or pixel 2 as a high end phone on the Android side. 6s, SE, or 7 on the Apple side should be good, unless you really want to hold on to it for a while, then either 8 or X on the high end.
I got a Moto X4 through Project Fi for $249, financed free for 2 years. They have a $199 option too. These phones are Android One phones which get Android updates for life.

I've never heard of "updates for life" - seems like the window for operating system updates and support gets shorter and shorter. That sounds wonderful. Does any Moto X4 phone offer this- or is that a Project Fi specific offer and not related to the phones? Are there other affordable, good quality phones also included under this "android one" umbrella?
crazygrow

Post by crazygrow »

If you are a Costco member, they sometimes have good deals. My wife and I got 2 of the new Samsung Galaxy 9 for $1800 - $900 (B1G1 free) - $300 in Costco Cash Cards - $150 in Verizon Visa card (for bringing a new line for my kids) = $450 for the newest and latest.
jcchen

Post by jcchen »

re swappa, read the description and check the photos to see the justification for the condition rating. I like good quality or better.
ebay is another place to look. only buy from those with good feedback and from listings with detailed descriptions.

if buy used, try to activate with your carrier ASAP. once i got an used phone and couldnt activate since previous owner owed money on the phone. that phone passed the vin checks, too. fortunately, ebay/paypal was able to refund my money.

after that experience I am leery of buying from craigslist. at least, with swappa and ebay, you have a little while to complain if something is amiss.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Buy used...Get it from swappa or eBay...
oh he## no. Buy a used phone off Ebay which one puts all their personal data on only to find it has some keylogger transmitting all your keystrokes to some remote server. Some may argue against this but in todays world of data security....sometimes it doesn't pay to be that 'cheap'. JMO
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

One possibility is to get one (at a bargain price) from a friend or relative that wants the latest and greatest.
mxs

Post by mxs »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am
mxs wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 pm If you go the Motorola route pay attention to exactly what model you get because a g6 is not as good as a g5s plus, unless you are talking about the g6 plus, which is not really available in the US (probably can get it online though). That is one example, and they are currently selling 10 or more models. Screen size / phone size is another important consideration, as I wouldn't want a phone any bigger than my g5s plus. Personally, I would go with either the g5s plus as a value phone or pixel 2 as a high end phone on the Android side. 6s, SE, or 7 on the Apple side should be good, unless you really want to hold on to it for a while, then either 8 or X on the high end.
I got a Moto X4 through Project Fi for $249, financed free for 2 years. They have a $199 option too. These phones are Android One phones which get Android updates for life.

I've never heard of "updates for life" - seems like the window for operating system updates and support gets shorter and shorter. That sounds wonderful. Does any Moto X4 phone offer this- or is that a Project Fi specific offer and not related to the phones? Are there other affordable, good quality phones also included under this "android one" umbrella?
To my knowledge, most Android phones have two years of updates, Google's phones get three years, and Apple phones get four to five years. I think Android One is still just two years, but quicker updates direct from Google. Based on updates and price, I would go with Moto G series for something cheap or that X4 if going Project Fi, Pixel 2 for higher end Android, or whatever price point you want to spend at with Apple. Personally, I have a G5s Plus and I am very happy with it (and Android). I wouldn't want anything physically bigger than what I have, as I often have my phone in my front pocket.
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

Apple dropped software update support for both the iPhone 5 (which was released September 2012) and iPhone 5C (released September 2013), in September 2017. However, Apple stopped selling the iPhone 5 in September 2013 and the 5C in September 2015, and claimed technical reasons (32 bit to 64 bit upgrade) for why they stopped releasing updates for the iPhone 5 and 5C. The 5C was always intended as a budget phone to begin with.

Currently, the iPhone 5S (released in September 2013 and stopped selling in March 2016) is still receiving updates and will probably receive them at least through September 2019, if not further.