Spam purportedly from Contact List

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cruise

Spam purportedly from Contact List

Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Yesterday I received emails supposedly from four people who at sometime were on my contact list. None of the emails were legit, all of them just had a link within (which I did not touch) and none had a subject listed.

What is likely going on? Have all of their accounts been hacked and it is just coincidence that yesterday was the day? Of does this scenario say more about me than it does about them?

Pajamas

Re: Spam purportedly from Contact List

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Since it's four different people, I would first assume that either it is your computer that has been compromised or else one of those four people who also had the other four people in their contacts or perhaps an online email provider.

That can also happen from an email with multiple addressees if BCC is not used instead of CC. Showing recipients' addresses to each other is poor practice.

You can do a basic free scan of your computer here as a first step:

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHom ... .asp-_-1:1

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm

That can also happen from an email with multiple addressees if BCC is not used instead of CC. Showing recipients' addresses to each other is poor practice.

I totally concur. Always use the BCC address field when sending any kind of group E-mails, that way none of the of the addresses show. A group is two or more.

It only takes one intercepted message from any of the recipients for a spammer to harvest the whole visible address list and then spam everyone on that list, and we get bombarded 20 different ways.

I got a spam message the other day from a person most likely associated a group list from 15 years ago. That person has been dead for 11 years now. Those address lists get recycled over and over.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Pajamas wrote:

I totally concur. Always use the BCC address field when sending any kind of group E-mails, that way none of the of the addresses show. A group is two or more.

It only takes one intercepted message from any of the recipients for a spammer to harvest the whole visible address list and then spam everyone on that list, and we get bombarded 20 different ways.

I got a spam message the other day from a person most likely associated a group list from 15 years ago. That person has been dead for 11 years now. Those address lists get recycled over and over.
Thanks, PJ and RetiredAL.

I've got plenty of protection on my computers, so likely situation is an old email thread that has been hijacked and recycled.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 pm

I was spammed and noticed a couple of emails that I had only used once from another account. I had sent emails between my own accounts and one of them was hacked. One of the recipients was from craigslist and the other from a product company, and both contacts were from many years ago. It was a yahoo email and the only place the emails would have been found was in my inbox and outbox. I assume that was from one of several hacks to the yahoo email system. FWIW, it's a junk list now anyway.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 am

Cruise wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 pm
RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Pajamas wrote:

Thanks, PJ and RetiredAL.

I've got plenty of protection on my computers, so likely situation is an old email thread that has been hijacked and recycled.
Happens all the time to me as well. And my machines have always been well protected. By the way look very close at the email address. Oftentimes it will have the name of the person from your contact list, but the email address itself is not your actual contact's actual email address. They just somehow got the name of the person...