Best way to clean eyeglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DWesterb2iz2

Best way to clean eyeglasses?

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:00 pm

How do you get your glasses clean an keep them clean? Any tips appreciated. Thanks!

Pajamas

Re: Best way to clean eyeglasses?

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Dish detergent and a microfiber cloth that is intended specifically for use with optical lenses. Avoid using paper towels or dirty cloths that might scratch because of wood or textile fibers or particles.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Zeiss wipes. Get them at Walmart.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm
Dish detergent and a microfiber cloth that is intended specifically for use with optical lenses. Avoid using paper towels or dirty cloths that might scratch because of wood or textile fibers or particles.
+1 although I just use a soft cloth. We like Dawn but Palmolive's also good. This works so much better than the foil packets of towelettes, we get a big box at Costco, but those have the advantage of portability.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Pajamas wrote:
That works well for DW (who recommended it) and me.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm

There is already an old thread on that:
viewtopic.php?t=164289
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:32 pm

I forgot to recommend using running water if at all possible. Even crystallized salt from dried perspiration can ruin lenses.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:35 pm

I always use soap and water, drying with normal, run-of-the-mill paper towels to no ill effects. I just make sure to pat gently, never seen a scratch because of this.

To be fair, my glasses are only $40 from an online store, so I might be more cavalier with them than people that spent hundreds. This is with a couple bells and whistles, i.e. anti-scratch and some other stuff I can't remember.

As a heads up- to anyone visiting their optometrist, make sure to get a copy of your prescription AND your pupillary distance. Take this info and use it to buy a pair of glasses online for a fraction of the cost they would charge you there. The savings are so ridiculous that you could screw up the purchase a couple times and still come out ahead.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm

For me, soap, water, kleenex.

> keep them clean?

Can't be done, unless you don't wear them.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:59 pm

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:35 pm
I always use soap and water, drying with normal, run-of-the-mill paper towels to no ill effects. I just make sure to pat gently, never seen a scratch because of this.

To be fair, my glasses are only $40 from an online store, so I might be more cavalier with them than people that spent hundreds. This is with a couple bells and whistles, i.e. anti-scratch and some other stuff I can't remember.
+1 and I even rub with the paper towels. I think the scratching from paper towels and such occurred twenty years ago but technology has made even plastic lenses hard enough that I've never gotten a scratch rubbing with a paper towel or my shirt tail.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:07 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm
For me, soap, water, kleenex.

> keep them clean?

Can't be done, unless you don't wear them.
+1 Not only is it harmless and works well, but there is no extra cost as we always have these items available. I use a drop of liquid hand soap with a running water rinse.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm

I rinse with liquid soap/water. Towel dry.

We also have these all over the house, one in each car, a few at work, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W ... F647ESW6XJ
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Same way as cleaning quality camera lenses.
Air blower and soft brush if needed for larger particles.
Zeiss alcohol wipes.
Clean microfiber lens cloth.
Air blow again for fibers and dust.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 pm

For some reason, I think the newer non-reflective coatings, cleaning got to be a problem several years ago. That or degraded mental processes from aging. Use clean finger, lots of water and Ivory soap (no creamy stuff) to clean, rinse with hot water, tap the top and bottom frame on the towel next to the sink to get the water off, then blow strongly on the lenses to remove rinse water. If you don't rinse with hot water the lenses fog from your breath. Free no-charge too-much-information detail: do it before brushing teeth, otherwise you'll end up spitting on your glasses.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Dish soap, cold water, and your finger.

Even using a soft wipe scratches those stupid coatings.

CoinCounter

Post by CoinCounter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 pm

I wear glasses all the time and I really like these Zeiss wipes:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moiste ... MD70XSB5DP

Obviously not the most economical or waste-efficient option, but very effective.
I think what I am seeing here is the ol' behavioral finance trap of loss aversion. Namely, folks rate losses twice as bad as the corresponding gains. Get over it. Get over loss aversion. - livesoft

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 pm

I set running tap water to warm (not too hot, a friend once damaged an AR coating by using extremely hot water). I put a drop of liquid detergent of any kind, on one side of one lens. I touch my thumb and forefinger to the detergent drop, hold everything under water, spread detergent on both sides of both lenses. I scrub gently with thumb and forefinger. I keep scrubbing until my fingers squeak on the glass; then I continue rinsing, using plenty of water and being sure I have covered all parts of all surfaces (detergent sometimes collects near the edge). I hold the glasses with lenses vertical in the stream for a second--that actually knocks a lot of water off. When I take the glasses out of the stream there are a few big drops on the lenses. I try to shake them off. I finally wipe gently with a clean, dry washcloth.

The key things seem to be to get 100% coverage of the lenses for both the washing and rinsing phases, with no detergent left behind; and to do the final drying fairly quickly (if there are minerals in the water, the faster you get the water off, the less chance of getting a light haze from the evaporating water).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Twood

Post by Twood » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Very long hair makes for an excessively wet shower towel compared to most. Most days wiping with the wettest part of the towel will be sufficient. If there was sunscreen or extra sweat or anything else extra goopy that this isn't sufficient, four squirts of the eye clinic spray cleaner (one per side of lens), rub with fingers, rinse, dry with same wet shower towel. I never have lint problems, but a friend who does uses a cloth "flour sack" style kitchen drying towel just for drying glasses.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Ideally a microfiber cloth.
Normally my undershirt when I am at work.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 pm

JOY detergent, warm water and dry with microfiber cloth or 100% cotton.
All the Best, | Joe

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Zeiss premoistened wipe or Walgreens premoistened wipe. Make sure there is no loose dirt by giving things a blow prior to using wipe.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 pm

costco sells the lens cleaning spray in the optical section. you can bring bottle get free refills when you run out. (I think that's still the case)
Or tap water and scratch free cloth

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:24 pm
Pajamas wrote:
+1 although I just use a soft cloth. We like Dawn but Palmolive's also good. This works so much better than the foil packets of towelettes, we get a big box at Costco, but those have the advantage of portability.
Sawn plus soft microfiber.

banjo

Post by banjo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Get get lenses wet.
Put tiny bit of regular hand soap on my fingers.
Gently clean the lenses using my fingers.
Rinse under running water until my fingers stick to the lens plastic, which means the soap film is gone.
Pat the lenses dry with a tissue.

This takes < 30 seconds and makes them as clean as they can get.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:37 pm

I mix half water, half isopropyl alcohol, one drop dishwash detergent into a little spray bottle. Spray on lens and wipe with microfiber cloth. Seems to work well.
Regards, | | Guy

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm

I was recently in the Heathrow airport and saw they had these eyeglass and jewelry cleaning machines for travelers. Only 3 pounds. Well, needless to say, I was too cheap to try that, but I see they have something similar on Amazon.

Yesker Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry and Eyeglass Cleaner

Not sure if it's a gimmicky thing that doesn't work, but I like the idea of a machine that can do it the same every time to take out the human factors element.
Last edited by Dude2 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Extra difficulty: How to avoid the growth of mold or corrosion inside the nose pieces of wire frames? :confused
(I'm pretty sure I can get them replaced for free at Costco, but would like to avoid anyway.)
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:55 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 pm
costco sells the lens cleaning spray in the optical section. you can bring bottle get free refills when you run out. (I think that's still the case)
Or tap water and scratch free cloth
According to my cheap friend Costco no longer does the free refill thing.

Me, I first run the lenses under warm running water to remove any solids then it's the dish soap, fingers, a good rinse then drying with a clean microfiber towel.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 am

The key to having a clear, non-streaked lens in all the above suggestions using water, and dish soap is to shake off most of the water from the glasses after you rinse them. Then "lightly dab" the water off with with a cloth as " banjo" states above. Do not rub the glasses with the cloth or tissue. You are not cleaning the lens with the cloth. You do that with the soapy water and your fingers and you are just dabbing off the remaining water with the cloth.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 am

I hate dirty glasses. I always have to clean them after cooking when I find micro beads of oil all over them.

pannkake

Post by pannkake » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:59 am

I use dish soap and warm water and my clean fingers.
The real magic is when I dry them.
I blow all of the water off of the lenses with my mouth and then dab the edges on my shirt to get the big annoying drops.

clean, no scratches, no weird shiny films left behind.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:06 am

I use Costco cleaning kits. Like this. Except I get them at Costco. Costco gives free refills on the cleaner fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Eyeglas ... B00Z2LAH1O

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:52 am

I just use a microfiber cloth. In fact we use those things for dusting, cleaning the kitchen counters, cleaning the inside of the car, etc. Just throw them in the washer and dryer. They last for years and save a ton vs. paper towels.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 am

Pajamas wrote:
Yep dilute dish soap and a microfiber wipe. I keep a squeeze bottle with dish soap water and use it extensively. At work I use what are called Kimwipes which work well to dry the lenses.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:04 am

tooluser wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 pm
Extra difficulty: How to avoid the growth of mold or corrosion inside the nose pieces of wire frames? :confused
(I'm pretty sure I can get them replaced for free at Costco, but would like to avoid anyway.)
Once every few times I wash my glasses with soap and water, I make sure that my finger runs across the nose pieces a bit to get some of the gunk off of them. I think that any gunk that accumulates is flaked off skin, skin oil, and whatever sort of bacteria/ mold is able to survive on a diet of skin and skin oil. I haven't had any gunk ever since I started doing things this way. My old pair of glasses from way back in middle school is absolutely coated in it though.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 am

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 pm
I set running tap water to warm (not too hot, a friend once damaged an AR coating by using extremely hot water). I put a drop of liquid detergent of any kind, on one side of one lens. I touch my thumb and forefinger to the detergent drop, hold everything under water, spread detergent on both sides of both lenses. I scrub gently with thumb and forefinger. I keep scrubbing until my fingers squeak on the glass; then I continue rinsing, using plenty of water and being sure I have covered all parts of all surfaces (detergent sometimes collects near the edge). I hold the glasses with lenses vertical in the stream for a second--that actually knocks a lot of water off. When I take the glasses out of the stream there are a few big drops on the lenses. I try to shake them off. I finally wipe gently with a clean, dry washcloth.

The key things seem to be to get 100% coverage of the lenses for both the washing and rinsing phases, with no detergent left behind; and to do the final drying fairly quickly (if there are minerals in the water, the faster you get the water off, the less chance of getting a light haze from the evaporating water).
I can confirm that my rinsing methodology is very similar to this. As I was reading it I felt like someone had stolen it out of my mind in exacting detail. I suppose having identical constraints led to identical solutions between us!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:31 am

I use the Zeiss wipes once every day or two which takes about 10 seconds. Would be hard for me to justify spending much more time on it. I take my progressives off and put them back on throughout the day and move from outdoors to climate controlled spaces so no way to keep them clean. Wiping them 10+ times a day seems OCD.

test123

Post by test123 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:53 am

life-long wearer of spectacles--my method is to wash to wet them at batrhroom sink in super hot water, apply a diluted softsoap mixture to the lenses and nose area with my fingers, rinse thoroughly in super hot water, lightly dry with a clean, soft hand towel. They don't require much drying because the hot water evaporates fairly quickly. No scratches to speak of.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 am

Pajamas wrote:
Same here..... liquid name brand dish soap and an optical lens specific cleaning cloth. If not that way I use an optical lens spray cleaner + the cloth.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:32 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 am
At work I use what are called Kimwipes which work well to dry the lenses.
If I'm not mistaken, those wipes are what I see them using when I buy eyeglasses. They are very reasonable in cost on Amazon, currently about $8 for a pack of three with 280 wipes each in the 8 x 4 inch size.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:00 pm

To me, the absolute best is an ultrasonic cleaner.

I have one I got at Harbor Freight, and I put them in there with warm water and one ounce of Simple Green. DW likes me to clean her jewelry at the same time.

Rinse under clean warm water and blot dry with paper towel. No scratches from cleaning. When scratches from other sources become excessive, get new lenses. I take my prescriptions to Costco and always get at least one spare there.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

I wash mine when I shower and rinse them well before cleaning in the running shower water. I use Softsoap Avanced Clean (Costco) in a small pump dispenser and apply with my clean fingers. I rinse thoroughly and then dry with a clean soft cotton towell or wash cloth. Works great, have never had any scratches. My lenses are hi-index plastic with Crizal (anti-reflective and scratch resistant coating).
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Hot breath to fog them up, wipe on shirt or towel or tissue or microfiber cloth (whatever is most handy). In 30 years of wearing glasses I've never used soap or any other kind of cleaner on them.

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 pm

washing with hand soap and your hands, than rinsing with warm water and shaking off the excess - no towel or paper or anything; best clean bar none
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Completely dependent upon lens material and coating (if any) IME.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm

I stop by Walmart and pick up their eyeglass cleaner at the optical dept.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tinscale

Post by tinscale » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Regular soap and water in the bathroom sink every morning, dried with a cotton hankerchief.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm
Zeiss wipes. Get them at Walmart.

+1

Even the "Equate" brand is just a good............and cost is $1.00 less than the Zeiss...... 8-)

ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:52 pm

I use running water and dry with a paper towel.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 pm

A 100% white cotton t-shirt, cut into wiping cloths.

Alternate between water and Windex.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman