Home AC filters - does MPR matter ? [Microparticle Performance Rating]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Freefun

Home AC filters - does MPR matter ? [Microparticle Performance Rating]

Post by Freefun » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 am

I need to buy filters for my home AC. I was getting some with high MPR ratings but some are telling me it’s a waste of money. I don’t have allergies or other sensitivities so I’m wondering if I should just get the cheap ones. For example Filtrete MPR 300 is much cheaper

Is there anything I’m missing or should be considering ?

Thanks!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Call_Me_Op

Re: Home AC filters - does MPR matter ?

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 am

Most of the cheap filters will do nothing for odors and gases. Why are you getting the filters?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:48 am

I have bad allergies so for years I bought those real expensive high MRV filters. The back pressure created by the highest MRV filters burned out my air conditioner blower fan. Now I buy middle of the road MRV filters and have a proper HEPA filter next to my bed.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:49 am

I use the mid-grade 20x25x1 Filtrete 1085 filters from Lowes in my two systems. My HVAC technician has suggested not to use the higher rated filters in the systems as they restrict the flow of air to the system and place and undue strain on the units. I don't need the greater filtration of the higher rated filters and therefore take his advice. I have found the same information online at various "professional" websites. I do not use the lower rated filters as I don't think they do a good enough job at filtering. The filters are ready for a change at the three month mark.

PS: I see Blueskies was posting at the same time with the same information.
Tom D.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:48 am
I have bad allergies so for years I bought those real expensive high MRV filters. The back pressure created by the highest MRV filters burned out my air conditioner blower fan. Now I buy middle of the road MRV filters and have a proper HEPA filter next to my bed.
My AC guy told me that if I wanted to use these filters they need to be replaced more often because they trap more material and sort of plug up and create the back pressure you are talking about. So I use them but I definitely replace them on schedule and more frequently during high use periods.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 am

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same camp as others above. I'm not a HVAC tech and don't know all the ins and outs, but it seems logical that restricting air flow too much would be a bad thing for the unit.

One thing I will say--whatever MERV rating you decide on, buy filters online. You can get them for much cheaper on Amazon than in the hardware store. I buy 6 at a time.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 am

Yes, you should just get the cheap ones -- maybe not the cheapest ones, but cheap ones. I pay about $10 for a pack of 3 Filtretes at Lowes. Because of the extra wear on your HVAC system, the allergen ones should only be used by people who have no choice due to their allergies.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 am

800 to 1200 range is good. El Cheapo not good for keeping coil clean.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 am

I buy my filters at Lowes. As a retired military person I qualify for a 10% discount on all purchases. Also Lowes offers my 20x25x1 filter in a two-pack and if I buy two or more two-packs at that same time it is an additional $2 off each package. Last purchase price with discount was $16.17 for a pack of two for the Filtrete red 1085 rated.
Tom D.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:52 am

We use Merv 16 filters and our HVAC is rated to handle that level filter. These filters are expensive, around $100 each through Amazon, and have to be replaced about 2 times a year. We also have air scrubber unit for mold, etc. that cost about $1,400 to install. The air scrubber light lasts about 5 years and as best I remember, cost about $200 to replace.

When we had new HVAC system installed about 7 years ago, I had both of these added to system at the recommendation of a friend who is a retired HVAC engineer for a major telecom company. He believes in gold plated solutions so I may have overdid it. I do not know if they have made that much difference or not. I was intrigued by another poster's comment that filter may have caused their blower to fail. We had our blower fail after 5 years. I attributed that to overuse of the blower by my wife. Hmmm, maybe the filter had something to do with that. I will ask my HVAC tech the next time he services our system. I know he has a low opinion of the air scrubbers, not sure about filters.

jwkde

Post by jwkde » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:20 am

I find that discountfilters.com is good price wise and they often run discounts

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:28 am

We use the cheap 4-pack for $3.00 at Walmart ones.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 am

I buy a mid range reusuable filter. One time cost and after a quick rinse, it is good to be used over and over.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 am

Freefun wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 am
I need to buy filters for my home AC. I was getting some with high MPR ratings but some are telling me it’s a waste of money. I don’t have allergies or other sensitivities so I’m wondering if I should just get the cheap ones. For example Filtrete MPR 300 is much cheaper

Is there anything I’m missing or should be considering ?
What does your HVAC manual recommend? If nobody has allergies then the main function of the HVAC filter is to protect the equipment from larger particles and things like mold spores. Our HVAC was installed with MERV 8 filter replaced 2X/year. My family has allergies so I changed to MERV 11 replaced 2X/year. The technician said that MERV 11 will work OK with the HVAC but the greater resistance to air flow means more energy consumption and more wear and tear.

http://www.homeenergy.org/show/article/id/667
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

samtex

Post by samtex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 am
I buy a mid range reusuable filter. One time cost and after a quick rinse, it is good to be used over and over.
I have several family members in the hvac business. They caution about those because of the increase restriction they cause.
I also stopped using 3M filtrete for the same reason. I'm using Camfil 30/30 commercial filters. They are the world's largest filter producer. They recently converted the NRG stadium in Houston. Their filters are less than half of 3M and last much longer because of their design.

https://www.camfil.us/Products/Medium-E ... 030-en-US/

Samtex

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:46 am

samtex wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm
lthenderson wrote:
I have several family members in the hvac business. They caution about those because of the increase restriction they cause.
I've used the same one for 15 years without problems but I make sure to clean it every couple months. Takes me about 30 seconds to clean with a hose and spray nozzle. However mine isn't pleated and is thin enough I can easily see my hand on the back side when I hold it up in the light.

samtex

Post by samtex » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:46 am
samtex wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm
lthenderson wrote:
I've used the same one for 15 years without problems but I make sure to clean it every couple months. Takes me about 30 seconds to clean with a hose and spray nozzle. However mine isn't pleated and is thin enough I can easily see my hand on the back side when I hold it up in the light.
One rule of thumb.... if you try to install a filter while the fan is running and it gets ripped out of your hands. Its too restrictive. :mrgreen:

I've had several HVAC pros (20 - 30 years experience) tell me to never use those. Thats from HVAC manufacturer's training classes. (And they weren't trying to sell me anything)

Twenty/thirty years ago there were a lot of tv ads selling those and they did gain a big following. I bought one too but I threw it out when my brother in law installed my new system 15 years ago.

Samtex