I've been swindled!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Duke

I've been swindled!

Post by Duke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:05 pm

I know that there may not be much I can do and it's my own fault but I'm reaching out to the community to see if there is anything else to try. 1 month ago I sent $2000 via wire transfer to a legit looking company in Dallas for an autoclave for instrument sterilization. I thought the company came from a reliable source and I did some research but obviously not enough. I have received multiple excuses but never received the autoclave. The things I have tried so far are the following:
1. Report to the Dallas Better Business Bureau.
2. File a fraud claim with my bank and his bank. My bank has unsucessfully tried to recall the wire
3. File a report with the Dallas Swindle Dept of the Police.
I have all his contact info and bank info and have even found him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

I would like to hold all the discussion about what I should have done differently for another post and ask for ideas that I may have overlooked for recovering my money. Any ideas?
Thanks

delamer

Re: I've been swindled!

Post by delamer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm

A lawyer?

Post by 123 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 pm

If the company has an online presence on any social media, including Ebay, Amazon, Yelp and Facebook, you can post a review about the delay and non-responsiveness of the company to alert other potential customers.

If their website is hosted by a service you could complain to that service.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

I assume you live too far away for small claims court?

Do you know anyone there who can stand in for you in small claims?
(The one time we were involved with this, we were allowed to have someone physically go in our place, and "read our statement", etc.)

Collecting might be tricky if you win, but if (IF) it's actually a bone fide business, that might make it easier.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

You could sue him in small claims court but if you don't live locally, it will probably cost you more than you've already lost and there is no guarantee you would still get anything back.

You could contact the place where you found his "ad" or however you found out about him. They won't give you any money back but you'll make it harder for him to attract more "customers" if they drop his ads.

If you were buying this for business purposes, you might be able to write it off on your taxes. That could save you a little in taxes, as if the government was absorbing part of the loss (your extra refund due to this write-off). Hmmm, maybe that person now has extra "income" he/she is not reporting.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Call the Dallas County D.A.'s office and ask if there's anything they can do. Also try the Texas A.G.'s office.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 pm

As mentioned earlier - see if they have a YELP review. If it's positive; post your experience. Check ALL possible major media; any positive reviews; you want to stand out as a sore thumb. Call 10/20/30 times a day. Once I set my computer on auto dial to call every 30 seconds for two hours. I finally got a return call (and a threat). I said if money isn't refunded it will 4 hours; then 8 hours. I got most of my money back (and my legs didn't get broken).

If they don't care about the reviews and calls, your probably out of luck.
Write what you tried and if it worked.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 pm
Call 10/20/30 times a day. Once I set my computer on auto dial to call every 30 seconds for two hours. I finally got a return call (and a threat).
Not really a good idea as there are often laws against telecommunications harassment and these days it is very likely that your number can simply be blocked, anyway.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 am

You might research whether there are any local television or radio consumer-rights reporters in Dallas and, if so, see if they would be interested in doing a story on the guy.

Jablean

Post by Jablean » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 am

And now all of a sudden I'm worried that there isn't a list of approved suppliers for sterilizing medical equipment. Where's government regulation when you want it.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 am

Duke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:05 pm
I know that there may not be much I can do and it's my own fault but I'm reaching out to the community to see if there is anything else to try. 1 month ago I sent $2000 via wire transfer to a legit looking company in Dallas for an autoclave for instrument sterilization. I thought the company came from a reliable source and I did some research but obviously not enough. I have received multiple excuses but never received the autoclave. The things I have tried so far are the following:
1. Report to the Dallas Better Business Bureau.
2. File a fraud claim with my bank and his bank. My bank has unsucessfully tried to recall the wire
3. File a report with the Dallas Swindle Dept of the Police.
I have all his contact info and bank info and have even found him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

I would like to hold all the discussion about what I should have done differently for another post and ask for ideas that I may have overlooked for recovering my money. Any ideas?
Thanks
i vote for court, small claims court
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 am

Are you domiciled in Texas? If not, this issue crosses state lines, which may give you standing to involve Federal authorities.

I wouldn't bother with a lawyer. For a $2000 recovery, the lawyer will walk away with most (all?) of it.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 am
Are you domiciled in Texas? If not, this issue crosses state lines, which may give you standing to involve Federal authorities.

I wouldn't bother with a lawyer. For a $2000 recovery, the lawyer will walk away with most (all?) of it.
You might try calling lawyers in Dallas and see if one will send a "demand letter" for a nominal fee. That's be better than having a full-fledged case which inded will eat all or most of the "recovery."

cantos

Post by cantos » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 am

Look up the meaning of the words "judgment proof".

Then consider the axiom "don't throw good money after bad".

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:07 am

Duke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:05 pm
1 month ago I sent $2000 via wire transfer to a legit looking company in Dallas
The fact that they had you pay them via wire transfer makes me wonder... Are you sure there really is a company in Dallas?

It it's some scammer who set up a fake business with a fake website, etc., then they could be anywhere on the planet. That would obviously rule out the Dallas police, BBB, small claims court, etc., as effective avenues to pursue.
Stay on target...

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am

I do wonder why op didn't pay by CC which gives protections. Would they not accept payment via cc?

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

You could try the Better Business Bureau also.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Assuming it is a real company--do you know anyone with a large social media presence? A tweet can accomplish a lot if it comes from someone with, for example, 53 million followers.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:39 pm

cantos wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 am
Look up the meaning of the words "judgment proof".

Then consider the axiom "don't throw good money after bad".
This. Though if you can get a lawyer to write a letter for not a lot of money there is a small chance it might work.

Wiring money to buy something (other than a house) strikes me as odd.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:45 pm

mhalley wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am
I do wonder why op didn't pay by CC which gives protections. Would they not accept payment via cc?
They probably would not. For reasons that now seem apparent.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm

If you think it is a legit company, I would not assume that you had been swindled. It has only been 1 month. I have certainly had items that took longer than that to procur. Is this a case of someone planning to keep your money and give you nothing in return? Or is this someone who implied that they had the item in their possession or could get it expeditiously drop shipped but who actually needed to order it? In turn, they could have found out that the item is not immediately available? Can you still use the product in another month or do you need to get it from another supplier now?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:45 pm
mhalley wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am
They probably would not. For reasons that now seem apparent.
A lot of small businesses will also accept payments from PayPal or electronic-check. Having wire-transfer as the only method is certainly a key indicator that you could be dealing with an illegitimate business (since it can't be clawed-back).