Front load washer gross moldy gasket

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
xrvision

Front load washer gross moldy gasket

Post by xrvision » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:46 pm

I have a Samsung front loading washer. The washer works just fine, but the gasket has lots of gunk and grime on it. This seems to be a recurrent problem with front load washers. I've done the usual suggestions of running it with bleach or vinegar and leaving it open after loads so it can dry out. That does not get to the gunk stuck behind the rubber seal. I also manually clean the rubber seal fairly often, but I simply can't get to most of the grime.

Clearly I am having a barn burner of a Saturday night.

Any suggestions?

mhalley

Re: Front load washer gross moldy gasket

Post by mhalley » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:11 am

If grime is getting behind the seal, the seal might be defective. Leaving it open after loads and the occ bleach works fine with mine, no grime gets behind the seal.

captpete

Post by captpete » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 am

We bought a Samsung Front loader washer and dryer in 2009. My wife's stepmom warned my wife of the potential for mold. She suggested leaving the door open and also leaving open the drawer for the detergent. This seems to work for us but we have done this from the very beginning so maybe that makes a difference. Our laundery is situated in a basement with high humidity and the high potential for mold growth. Ours is clean and clear. It must remain open when not in use.

Good luck

Messy_Orchid_51

Post by Messy_Orchid_51 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 am

This is a known problem with front loaders. I have an LG front load washer that had a similar grimy issue and damp smell.

What I did was a deep clean which the manual says to do once monthly for maintenance.

1. Wipe down door seals and door glass after each use, never shut the door entirely always leave partially open as to not lock in moisture - mine has a magnetic catch that leaves a gap
2. Pull out drain pump filter and rinse/clean well in sink-this had congealed detergent and black gunk on it
3. Pull out detergent drawer and rinse/clean well in sink-this had some dark spotting towards the rear of the drawer
4. Run a tablet of “Affresh” through the “tub clean” cycle on the machine-cheap at Amazon or hardware stores
5. Repeat 1-5 until all is well then repeat 2-5 monthly or so

NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:11 am

We had a similar issue with our LG front loader. A co-worker suggest switching from liquid detergent to powdered detergent and that stopped our issue. We also leave the door open between loads and wipe the gasket occasionally.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 am

Messy_Orchid_51 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 am
This is a known problem with front loaders. I have an LG front load washer that had a similar grimy issue and damp smell.

What I did was a deep clean which the manual says to do once monthly for maintenance.

1. Wipe down door seals and door glass after each use, never shut the door entirely always leave partially open as to not lock in moisture - mine has a magnetic catch that leaves a gap
2. Pull out drain pump filter and rinse/clean well in sink-this had congealed detergent and black gunk on it
3. Pull out detergent drawer and rinse/clean well in sink-this had some dark spotting towards the rear of the drawer
4. Run a tablet of “Affresh” through the “tub clean” cycle on the machine-cheap at Amazon or hardware stores
Yes leave the door open a crack always when not in use.
I was also told to leave the detergent tray open
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:46 am

I prefer top-loader Speed Queens.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:46 am
Got rid of front loader and bought exactly this two years ago. :beer
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:46 pm

If you are using fabric softener, STOP.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:58 pm

That's why I switched to top loader. Newer isn't always better

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Messy_Orchid_51 wrote:
This. Those tabs really make a difference when used with a "clean" cycle. Haven't had an issue with my Samsung front loader.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

bzcat

Post by bzcat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:54 pm

rgs92 wrote:
This is the permanent fix. :D

xrvision

Post by xrvision » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Kompass wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 pm
rgs92 wrote:
Got rid of front loader and bought exactly this two years ago. :beer
This has totally crossed my mind. The boglehead in me won't let myself buy a new one til this one dies :D

I try to leave it open daily between loads, but my kids use the laundry room as a thruway so it always gets shut. I'll try the Affresh in addition to the other stuff. Might see about replacing the gasket. Thanks everyone!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I've learned that tossing a little bit of Oxyclean powder into the tub with every load (except delicates, for obvious reasons) along with the normal amount of liquid detergent helps a bit.

E5797

Post by E5797 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 pm

How does fabric softener contribute?

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:08 pm

E5797 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 pm
How does fabric softener contribute?
Basically, top loaders can be cleaned because you can fill the machines with hot water and every crack and crevice (in both the inner and outer tubs) will be reached and cleaned out.

Most front loaders spray the gunky fabric softener on to the outer drum during the final spin. The outer drum is never filled with water and can't be cleaned without taking the machine apart.

It's like using STP back in the day in a car engine, it just hangs around, all gooey and sticky.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:16 pm

We have had good results using powder soap instead of the liquid HE stuff.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Really odd that you only ever hear this complaint from people in the US and yet front loaders are all we have ever had since the 70s in Europe and I've never read anyone say the same. I wonder about the formulations of washing powders/liquids and the placement of machines in basements as opposed to kitchens. Do peoples dishwasher seals in the US do the same thing?

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Of course as long as that area stays wet, the problem will continue.
One part of the cure is to dry it after every use, doing whatever is necessary to dry the area that wants to stay wet. Maybe evert the rubber gasket, or stuff a towel into the wet space.
Then leave the door open.

Unfortunately, I have had somewhat extensive experience with mold. I think you want your cleaning agent (for cleaning the gasket area) to be a quaternary ammonium compound such as is present in "Microban" shown here:
https://www.amazon.com/Microban-Disinfe ... =srch&th=1

But it doesn't have to be that specific product.

Now, if there are clothes that smell moldy, you put a cup of white vinegar in with the wash, then dry it until fully dry. If that fails, then repeat only this time put a wet wash cloth into the dryer with the wet clothes to be dried and add a little vinegar to the wet wash cloth. Inside the hot dryer, water evaporates away before the acetic acid does, so the concentration of acetic acid increases. That means the pH decreases (acidity increases). Eventually the acetic acid evaporates too, so the residual vinegar is very little. In general, if mold smell in the clothes is an issue, you don't want lots of soap (excess soap that doesn't get rinsed away becomes mold food), and in general you want the vinegar in the washing machine to be during the last rinse cycle (why overly rinse away vinegar with a pure water rinse when you want some vinegar to be in the dryer).
Hope this helps.

Edit: why do we have such an obsession about saving water while washing clothes in areas of the country and areas of the world where there isn't a water shortage? I get it where there is a water shortage. But how does saving water in St. Louis which is on a big river help the water shortage in Las Vegas which is in a desert?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 pm

HongKonger wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Really odd that you only ever hear this complaint from people in the US and yet front loaders are all we have ever had since the 70s in Europe and I've never read anyone say the same. I wonder about the formulations of washing powders/liquids and the placement of machines in basements as opposed to kitchens. Do peoples dishwasher seals in the US do the same thing?
Yes, my high-efficiency dishwasher does the same thing, but it's easier to clean because the mold can't get behind/under the seal (only on top of it). My washer and dryer are in a room next to my kitchen, not in a basement. I'm not sure what percentage of houses in the US have basements, but in the southern half of the country at least, basements are rare. Aren't combo washer/dryer units more common in Europe and Asia? If so, maybe that explains it.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Additional info from DW who actually has experience with a front loader. Once the rubber part gets moldy, get a replacement part and throw away the old one. It is apparently easy to replace that rubber gasket type part (at least on models she used).

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm

all of this and cost is why I stayed with a top loader.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 pm

badbreath wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm
all of this and cost is why I stayed with a top loader.
I love my front loader. Been using them for 40+ years, in Europe and North America. I haven’t had any gasket issues and do the following:

1) Leave door open fully for 20 minutes after last basket of clothes is finished for the laundry day.
2) Leave door parked in slightly open position held by magnet, per operating instructions.

3) After removing clothes, take cloth and gently remove any lint build up on door and seal.

4) Follow instructions for cleaning washer and pump filter on schedule.

If there is any mold, it will feed on lint buildup. Be sure to remove that each use. Dish washers don’t typically have lint, so less care is needed BUT be sure to clean the dishwasher filter regularly. You probably won’t want to eat off of plates and ware if you see the gunk they are washed & rinsed with if you don’t keep the filter clean.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Edit: why do we have such an obsession about saving water while washing clothes in areas of the country and areas of the world where there isn't a water shortage? I get it where there is a water shortage. But how does saving water in St. Louis which is on a big river help the water shortage in Las Vegas which is in a desert?
Taking that wonderful river water in St Louis and making it safe for drinking, then processing it to put back into the river from sewage is expensive, requires a lot of chemicals, and is energy intensive. Would you justify wasting energy, putting more crap in the air or consuming more fuel, if electricity became cheaper? Fortunately modern washer designs not only save a lot of clean water / sewage generation, but clean much better while causing far less wear & tear on clothes than the old agitator designs.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:23 pm

If you think your front-loader is clean, it's probably because you have never taken it apart to see the insides. I had the privilege of taking my Samsung apart to put a new drum in it, and found the rear of the drum, close to the axle where the water never quite reaches, was a mass of linty moldy greasy disgustingness. The water never reaches high enough to clean it and it just builds up.

I think the washer isn't all that bad and it's efficient, but I think the cleanest washer you can get is an obsolete top-loader (back when they worked) or a commercial one.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 pm

I’ve owned a front loader for the past 8 years and have never had this issue. I always keep the door open when there’s no laundry in it though.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:08 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 pm
GrowthSeeker wrote:

Taking that wonderful river water in St Louis and making it safe for drinking, then processing it to put back into the river from sewage is expensive, requires a lot of chemicals, and is energy intensive. Would you justify wasting energy, putting more crap in the air or consuming more fuel, if electricity became cheaper? Fortunately modern washer designs not only save a lot of clean water / sewage generation, but clean much better while causing far less wear & tear on clothes than the old agitator designs.
I agree that it takes some energy to purify river water into drinking water, in dollars and in chemicals, but I don't think the savings is significant given the trivial amount of water savings provided by these low water "eco friendly" machines. Sometimes the newer technology claims to be so much better, but is only a little bit better. Factor in the constraint of using only half the water and it turns out the improved technology is not quite good enough. They don't really get the clothes cleaner. Sometimes you have to run an extra rinse cycle to get the soap out.

But my point about the two different locations is that the water saved in St. Louis does not get teleported to Las Vegas to relieve the drought there. Saving water in the desert is infinitely more important than saving water in the land of a thousand lakes, so why do folks who are drowning in water have to use low water devices to wash clothes, dishes, and flush toilets?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:42 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:08 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 pm
GrowthSeeker wrote:

I agree that it takes some energy to purify river water into drinking water, in dollars and in chemicals, but I don't think the savings is significant given the trivial amount of water savings provided by these low water "eco friendly" machines. Sometimes the newer technology claims to be so much better, but is only a little bit better. Factor in the constraint of using only half the water and it turns out the improved technology is not quite good enough. They don't really get the clothes cleaner. Sometimes you have to run an extra rinse cycle to get the soap out.

But my point about the two different locations is that the water saved in St. Louis does not get teleported to Las Vegas to relieve the drought there. Saving water in the desert is infinitely more important than saving water in the land of a thousand lakes, so why do folks who are drowning in water have to use low water devices to wash clothes, dishes, and flush toilets?
I don't think anyone is claiming that St Louis gets moved to Las Vegas, so I'm not sure what to do with that remark.

I've been using front load, high efficiency washers for decades on two continents. My experience is that they wash better, save clothing wear MUCH better, and use much less water. Multiply that water savings times the number of households in a nation, and that is an enormous savings, even if a few people prefer to waste resources because they can. If you have to run extra rinse cycles, consider using a better detergent (try Persil), and try cutting your dose in half. Most people use far more soap/detergent than necessary for the job, whether it is washing dishes, washing hair, or washing clothes.

Why would anyone NOT want a decent modern toilet instead of listening to resources wasted? My toto Drake flushes MUCH better than the old 8 gallon flush toilets ever did, and it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. Sewage treatment is even more expensive than drinking water purification.
Last edited by criticalmass on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:28 am

Rupert wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 pm
HongKonger wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Yes, my high-efficiency dishwasher does the same thing, but it's easier to clean because the mold can't get behind/under the seal (only on top of it). My washer and dryer are in a room next to my kitchen, not in a basement. I'm not sure what percentage of houses in the US have basements, but in the southern half of the country at least, basements are rare. Aren't combo washer/dryer units more common in Europe and Asia? If so, maybe that explains it.
Asia still has quite a lot of top loaders but they are more like front loaders turned sideways because space is a premium so you can get super narrow ones. I suspect there are more washer/dryers because, again, space is a premium in Europe, but many, many still line dry because dryers aren't environmentally friendly and are expensive to run. Just like you don't find many homes in even the hotter parts of Europe with aircon. ...is your water very soft? Could that be a contributing factor?

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 am

We had a Maytag front loader for nearly 15 years that never had this issue. Our newer LG is a constant battle against mold despite the door always being left open and constant cleaning of the seal. Obviously design plays a role here.

McDougal

Post by McDougal » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 am

Had the same problem with my Samsung front load washer a few years ago. I can't locate the youtube video that worked, but basically:
    never use liquid detergent (Tide makes a HE powder that works great)
      After last load always dry the entire door, glass, gasket, etc with towel
        Once or twice a year remove all removable compartments from tray, and pack the entire tray with powder dishwasher detergent, run longest cycle on hottest temperature with no clothes to deep clean

tivattom

Post by tivattom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:19 am

Here's your third recommendation for switching from liquid to powder detergent. It also solved our musty moldy problem.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am

You might be using too much detergent. I use about 1/4 of what is recommended on the bottle. I spot treat clothes with detergent and some of the time I don't even add more to the dispenser. I also use a soft bottle brush to clean the gasket every so often and clean it with a towel at the end of the day every laundry day.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:37 pm

I have a 3 year old Samsung front loader and never had mold or gunk. I use Costco Kirkland laundry pods mostly. My machine has a mode to clean the gasket, but I haven't needed to use it. Sometimes, but certainly not most of the time, I try to leave the door open as others suggested (my washer is in a closet in the kitchen and I can't close the closet doors if I leave the washer door open).

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm

We have a 7 year Kenmore. No mold. But we do keep the door open and we never use liquid laundry detergent based on a few articles we read right after we bought the machine. I'm odor (of any kind) averse, so we only use "free & clear" types of detergent. My wife adds vinegar to the wash when washing my smelly gym clothes and that also seems to help with buildup...

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:33 pm

It figures that Bogleheads would dislike front loads! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I've used several front-loaders and prefer them as they're quieter, more energy- and water-efficient, and easier on clothes. Consumer Reports tests seem to back this up. Keeping the door ajar after washing seems to keep them mold-free for me.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Messy_Orchid_51 wrote:

Is it just me? It seems counterintuitive to have to clean a washer. DW would no doubt correct my impression... :mrgreen:

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
        Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm
        Messy_Orchid_51 wrote:

Is it just me? It seems counterintuitive to have to clean a washer. DW would no doubt correct my impression... :mrgreen:
        Better clean that dishwasher filter too. If you haven't recently, you probably won't be too excited about what your dish rinse water is passing through.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:50 am

kmurp wrote:
        Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:16 pm
        We have had good results using powder soap instead of the liquid HE stuff.
        This. When we bought our W/D several years ago, our salesman--who we've bought appliances/electronics from exclusively for 15 years--told us not to use liquid detergent, and that if we intended to do so anyway, he was going to sell us a more-expensive model with a detergent tank that dispenses the correct amount with each load. He says everyone puts too much in, it doesn't rinse properly, and causes all kinds of problems. He suggested powdered Tide, and we settled on Charlie's Soap. The only problem we have is an occasional buildup on the clear part of the door, which comes off with a little vinegar. But no mold, no smell.