Cheap simple tablets?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ChinchillaWhiplash

Cheap simple tablets?

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Looking for a simple tablet that will allow web browsing, Facebook app, and is wi-fi ready. For an older person who is tech illiterate and doesn't even own a cell phone. Looking for something under $150. Has to be super easy for anyone to use.

02nz

Re: Cheap simple tablets?

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Amazon Fire HD 10. It favors Amazon's content and store, for obvious reasons, but it's perfectly functional for web browsing and Facebook. Nice display, durable build, $150, sometimes goes on sale for less (I got mine for around $100). There's also a cheaper 8-inch version, but the 10-inch version is significantly better (faster processor, better display) for not much more.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Fire tablet of whatever size is your only real option at that price. HD 10 would be great, often on sale around Christmas and the Amazon Prime sale day, whenever that is. Camelcamelcamel.com

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Note that Fire tablets use Amazon's Fire OS, a custom version of Android that does not, out of the box, support the Google Play store (with its many apps). Fire OS does have its own app store, with a much smaller selection of apps, but it includes the basics like Hulu, Netflix, and Facebook. And you can add the Google Play store pretty easily, but the user you described is unlikely to need to do that.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Apparently Prime Day will be July 16-17 this year.

student

Post by student » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Fire tablets are inexpensive. Note that only the HD 10 comes with 1 year warranty. The HD 7 and HD 8 only have 3 months warranty. So if you get one of them, use a credit card like Citi Double Cash that gives you an extra 2 years of warranty.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:56 pm

If you do go the HD 8 route, consider the "kids edition" which gives a case, one extra year warranty I believe( two years total ), and access to kids content the user probably doesn't want. The case and extra warranty may be worth the price difference, just see what is available.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 pm

Consider used. I think you could find something a year old for very little. There is a huge swath of people who buy and replace ridiculously quickly. I got a used Nvidia which is awesome.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Samsung Tab A 8in. Indestructible, easy to use and it is wife approved (she can figure it out)!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... ung+tablet

The amazon fires are fine but bogged down with bloatware, is not really google/android friendly (tho there are modifications that can be made) and may be difficult for someone looking for simple. My wife found it cumbersome to operate.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Very happy with my Amazon Fire tablets. I started with the Fire 7 and later upgraded to the Fire HD 10. The 7 was a bit slow, and has a smaller, lower resolution screen. Although they come loaded with software aimed at the Amazon universe, they are fully functional as-is since they have wifi, a web browser and Bluetooth (for accessories).

If you want to break out and install non-Amazon-approved apps (as I needed to do to get mine to work with my Sony Bluetooth headphones), you can install the Google Play store and put anything you like on them. Amazon will not warrant any non-Amazon-approved apps (which is reasonable).
Had we come a little later, we'd have seen a better crater. -- M.P., Sept 1886 (hotel register on Mt. Kilauea)

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:54 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 pm
Note that Fire tablets use Amazon's Fire OS, a custom version of Android that does not, out of the box, support the Google Play store (with its many apps).
It takes less then 5 minutes and is safe to sideload the APK, however for the Play Store.

Messy_Orchid_51

Post by Messy_Orchid_51 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:59 am

I would strongly suggest a google chromebook of some variety.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:08 am

All the 70yrs plus non tech savvy people I know go for the kindle fire - its cheap enough that they aren't scared to use it in case they 'break it' and it is simple and more than sufficient for email, web browsing, voip/webcamming family and watching catchup tv.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:15 am

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 pm
... For an older person who is tech illiterate and doesn't even own a cell phone. ... Has to be super easy for anyone to use.
Good luck with this, I'm not sure it's realistic. Sounds like not, but if they have prior PC exposure (keyboard / mouse) I'd go with a chromebook. It seemed like a great idea, but my elderly relative never could make the leap from a laptop they struggled with to an iPad. A Chromebook- with wireless mouse- was successful. In any case, you need a plan for providing assistance-- patiently, regularly, indefinitely, in person.

You have a conflict in that the cheaper the product, the harder to use because of slowness, small screen, maybe confusing bloatware & ads. I'd avoid older used products, they may be so slow that a novice will have trouble understanding what is happening. Don't even consider an old iPad; I've got 2 iPad 3s (one was that relative's) that are painfully slow and no longer run even popular weather apps.

I've no experience with Kindle Fires, can't compare.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 am

In my opinion, there are only 4 tablets to consider for you:

$50-$80 Amazon Fire HD8
$100-$150 Amazon Fire HD10
$250 Apple iPad 2017
$300-$330 Apple iPad 2018

The price ranges depend on when you buy if you get it on sale. All of these will do what you want. The more you want to spend, the better the tablet.

FWIW, we bought our mom and dad each an iPad a few years ago. They are in their early 60's. They used to Facetime and Facebook on their tablets. Once they upgraded to plus sized iPhones, the tablets were no longer used. We turned on the magnification and font size to the largest possible. Now that they can see the phone better, they no longer use the tablets.

My children currently have Amazon fire tablets. They used to have iPads but they cracked the screen on two of them. At that time iPads were $500 each. I replaced them with cheap $50 Amazon fire tablets instead. The transition was a little rough at first but now they are used to it.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 am

... For an older person who is tech illiterate and doesn't even own a cell phone. ... Has to be super easy for anyone to use.
I question the premise that someone who is so tech illiterate that they can't figure out a tablet wants to browse the web. Pretend the tablet UI is a web page to click around on.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:37 pm
Samsung Tab A 8in. Indestructible, easy to use and it is wife approved (she can figure it out)!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... ung+tablet

The amazon fires are fine but bogged down with bloatware, is not really google/android friendly (tho there are modifications that can be made) and may be difficult for someone looking for simple. My wife found it cumbersome to operate.
I'd suggest the larger 10 inch screen. This one's refurbished. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... +tablet+10

We had an Amazon Fire HD8 and a HD10. The HD10 died suddenly and we replaced it with a Samsung Tab 10 inch. Yes it's more than a Fire but I agree with bob. It's a much better product and experience. Costco carries them and frequently has new ones on sale for around $200.

edit: That's around $200 in the warehouse, not online.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 am

I am typing on a Samsung Tab 7. It cost $139 at Best Buy. I recommend she buy one of these. It is really easy to use and fully Google compatible out of the box. The store sales person can help her set it up. The setup takes about 5 minutes. I love mine. I use it mostly for reading e-books and web surfing. It does not do cell service so no texting but it does email fine.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 am
$50-$80 Amazon Fire HD8
$100-$150 Amazon Fire HD10
$250 Apple iPad 2017
$300-$330 Apple iPad 2018
FWIW, we bought our mom and dad each an iPad a few years ago. They are in their early 60's. They used to Facetime and Facebook on their tablets. Once they upgraded to plus sized iPhones, the tablets were no longer used. We turned on the magnification and font size to the largest possible. Now that they can see the phone better, they no longer use the tablets.
Never thought about iPads as gateway devices to iPhones for seniors. The iPod was the gateway to the iPod Touch which was popular with kids and tweens and is the gateway device to iPhones, but these days, I think those kids with iPhones are getting younger and younger.

For an extra $50, it's worth going to a bigger screen on a Fire HD and the biggest difference between the iPads is faster processor and support for Apple Pencil (yeah, I know an extra $100 accessory, but that should go down soon) and that's worth $50 IMO. I expect some nice apps that take advantage of the Pencil now that they're aiming for the school market again, and the faster processor should help the iPad perform better and longer, maybe not now, but years down the road.

Those sales seem to be happening with more frequency, so just wait for the next Prime day (July 16?) or holiday (July 4) for a deal.

In either case, there may be ways to simplify their use methods applied to kiosk use, but I haven't looked into that. The iPad has a nice feature to simply limit to one app that might be helpful if that's all they need at first.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/lock-the-ip ... t-one-app/

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:47 pm

The 2017 iPad is on sale for $250.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-5 ... /269692261
I wouldn't recommend the Amazon Fire tablet or any Samsung tablet. I think you would regret it.

Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:40 pm

RCA makes a line of tablets that are very good. Bought one for my nephew for his birthday and was so impressed with it I got one for me. 10.1" screen, detachable keyboard, google play...all for less than $100!

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Decided to try the Fire 10. Certified used from Amazon. Hope it works out. Thanks for all the info!

gd

Post by gd » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 am

mega317 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 am
I question the premise that someone who is so tech illiterate that they can't figure out a tablet wants to browse the web. Pretend the tablet UI is a web page to click around on.
The internet has become indispensable for normal life, from personal business to family interactions. "Wants to browse" might not mean "sounds like fun" as much as "can't get critical information for their well-being" and "family has de facto shut them out of interaction".

I was relating an experience about an elderly person trying to use a tablet. I've also taught a PC class to seniors; it was exasperating (and I've lots of experience instructing adults in complex technology). Old people do not react to computers like younger people. And tablet behavior IS different-- screens are small, there are still normal web sites that don't behave properly on iPads, the mysteriously appearing and disappearing keyboard. Tapping on screens (jab? long press?). What's a link? What's not? Watch someone with poor hand strength hold a portable device, planting their thumb right on the touchscreen. Swiping from the edge vs. swiping in the center. Some may do better without prior PC experience, some worse. And as almost everyone gets more familiar with mobile devices, behavior gets more complex and less consistent, and those left behind have a harder time figuring it out. Developers are constantly creating subtle manipulations to click on ads, sign up to social media, give up information.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am

How about refurbished Apple iPads, I noticed Walmart offers some.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 pm
Decided to try the Fire 10. Certified used from Amazon. Hope it works out. Thanks for all the info!
Please let us know what you think!

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 pm
I plan to get one on Prime Day. They say it might be on July 16 this year. I'm hoping the sale price will be $100 like it was on Black Friday.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 pm

It got here today! Not a prime member and did the free standard shipping and it only took 2 day. I started it up and it should work out for her. Lots of apps for buying stuff from Amazon for sure. Hope she doesn't figure out all that stuff. Screen has nice resolution and so far seems easy to use. Will take it over to her tomorrow. Hopefully she wrote down her apartment's wifi info, but it was simple to set at my house. For used it looks like new. Cost was $109. Has a link to FB right on the home screen, which is about all she will need. Will see if I can get her going on it.

tulsuduke

Post by tulsuduke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Google how to sideload Google Play Store onto your Fire HD. Takes 5-10 minutes tops and really maximizes the abilities of the tablet.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 pm
It got here today! Not a prime member and did the free standard shipping and it only took 2 day. I started it up and it should work out for her. Lots of apps for buying stuff from Amazon for sure. Hope she doesn't figure out all that stuff. Screen has nice resolution and so far seems easy to use. Will take it over to her tomorrow. Hopefully she wrote down her apartment's wifi info, but it was simple to set at my house. For used it looks like new. Cost was $109. Has a link to FB right on the home screen, which is about all she will need. Will see if I can get her going on it.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Not getting a lot of love here but I also recommend a basic Chromebook. I bought one at the last minute two years ago for a trip to Europe. Didn't know if I would like it or not. Found out I loved it. Light enough to travel with, perfect for web surfing and cheap enough to not worry about. Now, when we go, it goes too. We're at the beach on vacation this week so I'm typing this reply on it now.