POS Terminals & Tablets [Point of Sale]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
2pedals

POS Terminals & Tablets [Point of Sale]

Post by 2pedals » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 pm

What is your view of point of sales terminals Ziosk and tablets at casual restaurant chains such as Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, Red Robbin for the past few years? I think they are noticeable in an unwelcome and intrusive way. Some issues I have had follows:

A kid touched it and auto added $2 to my bill and needed service to cancel charge. :oops:
I could not figure out how fix a charge or error with the bill and needed service to fix bill. :x
Server, how do you stop the Ziosk from flashing red even after the bill is paid? :x
The spy camera in each Ziosk is always concerning to me. :annoyed
I don't want to touch that dirty and fifthly tablets, how often are these tablets cleaned? :annoyed

In general, I think they are send a bad message and work against a good dining experience or friendly servers. On the other hand they can be helpful if the service is lacking and just want to pay your bill get out of the restaurant ASAP. Maybe I should just avoid restaurants that feature these devices.

Texanbybirth

Re: POS Terminals & Tablets

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

We avoid restaurants that have these. I dislike them very much, for some of the reasons you have mentioned.

Jack FFR1846

Re: POS Terminals & Tablets

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 pm

I turn them away from me. I typically can't use one because I pay with a combination of an online coupon, a gift card with only a few $$ left on them and finish with a credit card.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Trism

Re: POS Terminals & Tablets [Point of Sale]

Post by Trism » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 am

I've never experienced devices like this in a restaurant, but none of the places listed are in my top 66,000 places to eat.