Dual king mattress

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
btenny

Dual king mattress

Post by btenny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 am

We are talking about buying a new mattress and looking at the adjustable base dual king. My wife thinks the raise feature will help my snoring and let us sleep better. I am bothered by the split mattress. We have had a California King for decades. Anyone have some thoughts?

Pajamas

Re: Dual king mattress

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am

Yes. Get your snoring evaluated by a sleep clinic rather than assuming that the ability to raise the head of the mattress will help you.

Split kings are great for people who have trouble sharing a bed due to restlessness or a large difference in size or whatever or for people who have different sleep styles (side, back, stomach) or have medical issues and need different mattresses.

You can get a gap filler or bridge so it doesn't even look like two mattresses when the bed is made.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm

I sleep pretty good. My wife has issues. My snoring and the night light disturb her. We like sleeping next to each other and have for 50 years so we are worried about the split mattresses.

Does anyone have experience with any type of adjustable bed?

Jelloanddon

Post by Jelloanddon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 pm

My friend purchased an adjustable split king. She says raising the bed has not really stopped her or her spouse from snoring. The split has not posed any problems as the gap between the 2 mattresses is not significant.

VaR

Post by VaR » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am
Yes. Get your snoring evaluated by a sleep clinic rather than assuming that the ability to raise the head of the mattress will help you.
This. It's less expensive than an adjustable mattress and might be covered by insurance. It will also tell you whether you have sleep apnea, which does need to be corrected by getting a CPAP machine. This is also covered by insurance and will have the side effect of eliminating the snoring.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 pm

I agree with the other replies about the snoring. The adjustable bed didn't do a thing for my wife's snoring, a CPAP machine made a world of difference though. We have the twin XL latex mattresses from Flobeds and Leggett & Platt adjustable bases and have been very pleased with both. The gap has not been an issue for us and the isolation of motion between the 2 mattresses I think helps with a good nights sleep.
We just spent a few nights on a king bed in a motel and we both commented on how many times we woke up when one of us turned over.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Not to derail the thread into forbidden medical issues, but if raising the head of the bed DOES help, there may be a serious problem that needs to be addressed medically, such as congestive heart failure, obstructive sleep apnea, gastric reflux, etc., which is another reason why starting with a medical evaluation is the best course of action rather than implementing a possible solution that might not work.

blackhawkfan

Post by blackhawkfan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:55 pm

My wife and I were in the same situation a few years ago when shopping for a new mattress. Not the snoring but wanting an adjustable bed system. Here is what we learned and our experience.

1. We had been sleeping on a Cal King. My wife wanted an adjustable bed because she watches TV while lying in bed and I don't. We looked at an adjustable frame for the whole bed until the salesperson suggested a split Cal King (2 twin XL's). At first my wife said no thinking we would have a crevasse between the mattresses but the more she thought about it the more she liked the idea. She could adjust to whatever settings she wanted and not disturb me.

2. We "slept" on it for a few days and ended up going with the split Cal King. Great decision. She has it set to her way and I sleep flat. Both of us are happy and neither disturbs the other. The crevasse issue has not come up. Whether sleeping or "anything else", it's not an issue. The only issue has been to find the right sheets. Adjustable beds need different sheets to stay on properly and XL size sheets are not as common as others are.

3. We got the cheaper wired adjustable frames. Did not want to pay the extra for wireless. Fine except that it would have been nice to have a couple of memory buttons.

4. Buying mattresses and adjustable frames are a racket, worse than buying a car. The tricks and markups are ridiculous. Best advice I got was from a web site dedicated to exposing the tricks of the industry was to look for a local mattress maker that supplied local store private brands to save money. Best advice I found hands down. We saved thousands of dollars doing it this way. If we had bought from a regular store it would have cost us $6K plus to get what we wanted. By finding a local supplier who sold from their factory store, we got exactly what we wanted and spent under $3K for the same thing.

If you are in or near Massachusetts I can pass along the company as we would highly recommend them. Just know generally what you want before you come in as they don't try to sell you. They provide information and you decide. No pressure at all.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 pm

We bought the split King and have the same experience as the other posters. We are happy with it, but it does not seem to have affected snoring.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Two twin xls are actually a regular King, not a California King. California Kings are narrower and longer. Regular king is 76 by 80. California King is 72 by 84. Split Kings are also obviously easier to move!

We have a split King on adjustable bases. It's the Costco temperpedic knock off and we LOVE it. The whole thing cost less than one piece of the temperpedic version.

No bridge filler is necessary, nor are special sheets. We have nice King sheets with deep pockets and they work fine when we are adjusted at different heights.

We tend to use the adjustability to drive our dogs onto the other side of the bed... And to watch tv or read without needing a ton of extra pillows.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Do any of you king bed owners turn your mattress upside down or just side to side? My issue is longevity and wear and tear. My current modern mattress cannot be turned and is canoed badly after about 10 years of wear. So we have to buy something new.

My reason for asking is my wife owned a latex mattress from 1950 until 1969 and then we both used it until 1974. Then we kept it in our spare bedroom and then we handed it down to my daughter for 10 years or so more. It was a simple 4-5 inch thick latex foam mattress that could be turned side to side and upside down as well. So it never developed canoe dents. It just lasted forever.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Our latex mattresses are made up of 3 layers of different density foam with firmer on the bottom and softer on the top layer so you really can't flip the whole mattress. Ours are 5 years old and show no signs of dents.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:42 pm

We have a split king mattress. The gap between the two halves is insignificantly small.

My wife has never adjusted her side of the bed; I’ve come to like the “Zero G” position (both head and feet elevated) for reading and sleeping.

Overall, it was an excellent upgrade from our former traditional queen mattress.

Andy.

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm

I lost 40 pounds and no longer snore.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Trism wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm
I lost 40 pounds and no longer snore.
+1. Losing excess weight has been the only snoring remedy that has worked for me.

Andy.