Anyone use a WiFi enhancement product?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PoultryMan

Anyone use a WiFi enhancement product?

Post by PoultryMan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Recently I saw a plug in unit that claims to strengthen WiFi signals in various rooms.

I lose signal strength even with gigabit fios and have tried “extenders” in years past, but it slowed the reception and didn’t really help.

Has anyone used something successfully to help get around tricky corners or homes?

shariron

Re: Anyone use a WiFi enhancement product?

Post by shariron » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:56 pm

I use Netgear Powerline Kit. It utilizes the electrical wiring in your home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192 ... UTF8&psc=1

arf30

Post by arf30 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 pm

I wouldn't bother with these, get a mesh WiFi system if you need better coverage. I've got Google WiFi but any of them should do the trick.
Last edited by arf30 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm

I too have up on extenders.
Switched to mesh system.
Very happy

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm

I futzed around with multiple wireless extenders, powerline kits, etc. until I switched to Google Wifi Mesh.

Three units more than cover my 2300 sq. ft. house.

No worries :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

eugenem

Post by eugenem » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm

The underlying speed of your FIOS connection doesn't have an impact on wifi signal strength. I have FIOS 75/75; live in a 2 story raised ranch (just under 2,000 square feet). Had wifi signal strength issues on the top floor of the house. Purchase the Actiontec FIOS wifi extender, but it made no difference. I ended up buying a 3-pack of Google WiFi mesh. Now everything is perfect.

Google Wifi also lets me enforce parental controls on the kids. So on school nights, the wifi to their devices gets shut down between 8PM and 5AM.

There are also other mesh network devices such as Netgear Orbi, Linksys Velop, and Plume. But given a spouse who dislikes all tech things, I just wanted something that worked.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 pm

For the best performance and reliability, a wired setup using modern mesh gear is the way to go (Unifi, Eero, Google). The solutions that use WIFI as the backhaul may work great in your situation (lots of people here say they do), may not work well, or may start out great and get worse as the noise floor increases in your area.

Some previous threads:

viewtopic.php?t=241311

viewtopic.php?t=229321

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I just got a google wi-fi mesh system. Simple setup, works like a charm.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Proper placement of the wi-fi router is key to most of these issues. Many have the wifi router placed near the desktop hidden in a closet, behind a desk or cabinet thereby restricting the signal. I placed mine in the attic of my 2400 Sq ft home and have full signal coverage in my home as well as the majority of my property. I can be at either end of my street, Chicago area, and stiil have some access, tho spotty. Height of the router is approx 20 feet from ground level. The area around my home is flat, so there is really isnt any strange height advantage. Never had the need for extenders, mesh, amps etc... I just ran two Cat 6 cables to the attic, one from the modem at the access point to the WiFi router, then one from the router directly back to the desktop computer to provide full lan speed. Overall it took about a extra hour to run the cables but it works perfect.

YMMV!

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 pm

A Wifi extender that is only single band will be slower, as the extender node has to deal with the same traffic 2x, thus your thru-put is cut in half.

You have two choices: Either you cable wire two wireless units to your router, or you have to buy a mesh type system that uses both bands - if you are on 2.4Ghz, a mesh unit will call home on 5Ghz and you'll get near full speed data transfer, assuming the nodes are close enough together for a strong enough signal to achieve max thru-put.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm

For people who are not that tech savvy or wanting to spend time on implementation, a mesh wifi solution will likely yield best results. That said, some of the mesh systems are built on a cloud-provisioned model, so you'd need to decide if you're OK with that - or not. Ubiquity Amplifi and Netgear Orbi are highly rated. I'd personally stay away from the Google Mesh product due to their rep.

If you are more tech savvy and willing to spend time, better results can usually be found by placing a couple of quality APs around the house and backhauling over gigabit copper Ethernet.

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:33 am

Does the orbi REPLACE my fios router?

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 am

I tried them years ago.....
ok...
I now use google wi-fi mesh.,,,
five star performance.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 pm

PoultryMan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 pm
Recently I saw a plug in unit that claims to strengthen WiFi signals in various rooms.

I lose signal strength even with gigabit fios and have tried “extenders” in years past, but it slowed the reception and didn’t really help.

Has anyone used something successfully to help get around tricky corners or homes?
I tried one at one point. It was spotty at best. Supposedly it was an extender but either it was bad itself or it was poor quality or it was not set up correctly. It seemed to always get knocked off the network and was an absolute pain to set up. I ultimately got rid of it and have not sought out another option. If anyone knows of a brand/model that actually works I would be interested in knowing as well. I have a section of my house that gets a really spotty signal from my main router...

UPDATE
So I just read the rest of the thread. And the winner appears to be the Google mesh network. The reviews on Amazon bear that out as well....

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

If the room(s) in question have Coax, try Moca 2 adapters (basically, Ethernet over coax). I have had great results with it; It’s basically like pulling ethernet cables to the room.

In my case, I put some wireless access points in the rooms, but you could put a mesh system with ethernet backhaul there instead.

Wired always trumps wireless.

ETA: The FiOS gigabit routers already have moca capabilities built-in, so you only have to put adapters on the client end