Hands-free solutions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anticrastinator

Hands-free solutions

Post by anticrastinator » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am

New hands-free driving law in effect July 1st in GA. My 17 year old boglehead car obviously has no CarPlay or other available system. The only way I can connect my phone (iPhone 6) to my car is through one of those cassette adapters.

Short of ignoring the law or not answering the phone (both unacceptable to me), what are my options? Please keep in mind I’m a bit of a technophobe. I have never used Siri and actually disabled it on my phone, therefore not familiar with its use. And not planning to get a new car just for that :)

Thanks in advance!

livesoft

Re: Hands-free solutions

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 am

Have someone else drive you around. :)

Your car is 17 years old. Get a new one. My car talks to me and responds to my voice commands even if I don't have a phone in the car.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Point

Post by Point » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 am

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 am

I would second a bluetooth cowtag. Motorola makes some cheap nice ones that you can get on amazon. Personally, I use apple AirPods, but I use them for everything - including music and conference calls at the office. I love them. One of the best apple inventions ever.

Other option would be to get a new deck installed in your car that has the capability to do bluetooth calling.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 am

If your iPhone is a newer model I'd actually say you don't need to buy anything other than a good mount that holds the phone securely on the windshield or on the dash in your line of sight. Turn Siri back on. If it's a new enough model, it is always listening for the Hey Siri command even when it appears 'off.' The built-in speakers are now good enough on most iPhones for you to use it fine without integrating into the stereo system, and the built-in microphones are much, much better than anything you will retrofit. Plus, adding bluetooth connection to the device actually mucks up how effective the Hey Siri command is.

So just place the phone in the mount when you get in the car and if you need to do something, start asking Siri. Once you get the hang of it she works pretty well for typical stuff - placing calls, sending texts, setting reminders or creating appointments.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am

Just buy a new radio that has Bluetooth hands free technology. It’s less than a couple hundred bucks.

If your not handy, have someone else install it and sync your phone for you.

My phone connects to my radio automatically every time start my almost 19 year old vehicle.

The set up is even nicer than my wife’s 14 year old vehicle with the factory radio...

JT

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am

Earpiece seems to be the easiest choice, corded or Bluetooth. Corded can be left in the car, Bluetooth would need to be charged.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:23 am

I drive a 10 year old truck.

I installed a bluetooth adapter to work with my factory radio. It works really well. We have had similar ones in other cards. I love it because I listen to Podcasts almost every day on my commute and this makes it really easy. It works well for phone calls also. I'm pretty handy so I installed it myself. Not hard at all in my vehicle. I mounted the microphone up on the A pillar.

You could check and see if there is one that fits your vehicle.

Here is the one I have: USA SPEC Bluetooth adapter

Otherwise, the suggestion above is the best. Replace the stereo and get one that works with Bluetooth.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am

The car I have now has integrated bluetooth, but before that I used a clip-on visor, "SuperTooth Buddy Bluetooth Visor Speakerphone", was the last one I used. That visor keeps the speaker and mic closer to your head then a dashboard mount for the phone.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 am

-buzz- wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:23 am
I drive a 10 year old truck.

I installed a bluetooth adapter to work with my factory radio. It works really well. We have had similar ones in other cards. I love it because I listen to Podcasts almost every day on my commute and this makes it really easy. It works well for phone calls also. I'm pretty handy so I installed it myself. Not hard at all in my vehicle. I mounted the microphone up on the A pillar.

You could check and see if there is one that fits your vehicle.

Here is the one I have: USA SPEC Bluetooth adapter

Otherwise, the suggestion above is the best. Replace the stereo and get one that works with Bluetooth.
+1

I added the USA Spec to 3 of our Lexus/Toyota cars. Super device for a reasonable price. Add Bluetooth and Aux input to most car factory stereos.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am

I would just buy a cheap single din radio head unit. Most come with Bluetooth now. Probably can get away with less than 200 with install. Set it up to automatically connect when the car turns on and senses your phone.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 am

Cheap solution: put the phone on speakerphone mode. Rest the phone on a small piece of that drawer-liner material, also sold as non-slip mat for under small rugs.

le_sacre

Post by le_sacre » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

I know it's not what you're looking to hear, but what you've presented is a great excuse to actually do the right thing and abstain from distracted driving!

https://ifsainc.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... riving.pdf

My background is in cognitive science, and I have colleagues who study this sort of thing and are somewhat personally responsible for phone manufacturers starting to include distraction-minimizing "Driving Mode" in their systems. The most important take-away from the research is that humans are wretchedly bad at judging how much their attention/performance is impaired by distractions or task-switching. So if you think "I'm careful, I know my driving and I'm confident I'm not taking inappropriate risks"... You're incorrect.

And the thing about distracted driving is you're taking risks not only for yourself and your property, you're taking risks on behalf of everyone around you. As a cyclist who without fail notes that drivers who've nearly killed me never even realize they've done so because they're looking at a phone, I don't appreciate those risks being chosen for me.

Ok, climbing down off my soap box!

[Oops, edit to clarify that the research conclusively shows that "hands-free" does not help. The safety is about the division of your attention, not what you're doing with your hands and eyes. "hands-free" does not mean "distraction-free"]

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I bought a new JVC head unit for my 2006 truck. It has Bluetooth built in so I have hands free. Nice to be able to stream music from my iPhone too.

The stereo shop where I bought it set up all the features and paired it to my phone. Super easy to use.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm

le_sacre wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm
[Oops, edit to clarify that the research conclusively shows that "hands-free" does not help. The safety is about the division of your attention, not what you're doing with your hands and eyes. "hands-free" does not mean "distraction-free"]
Totally agree. I've worked in the wireless/cellular industry since the early days. I used to drive a lot while on the phone -- and refuse to do so now.

I ride a very tall motorcycle that generally means I am looking down into most cars and pickup trucks on the road -- and can easily tell who is on a phone. Those drivers are orders of magnitude more dangerous to me than the ones that aren't...