Buy new truck before retiring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
smitcat

Re: Buy new truck before retiring?

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am

MindBogler wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 pm
smitcat wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 pm
I have owned all of the major brands - Chevy , Ford and Dodge and often more than one brand at a time.
Fact is they all have strong points and weak points - while I valued my Fords (2 F350's and one F150) they are not superior in all areas except when it comes to price.
It's one thing to own all the major brands; its another to own them all at the same time or have access to similar model years. Ten years ago the Silverado was the better truck, that isn't the case today.

I digress, though. If I were you, I wouldn't sell a practically brand new truck for an increase in MPG. Your truck still has another 100,000 of life left in it. Drive that thing into the dirt and then reevaluate in 5-10 years.
An alternate view - I did sell a 'practially new' truck for an increase in mileage when I did not need as large a tow vehicle. But as posted I also recieved a number of other items which I wanted on the trade not just the mileage:
- new warrantee
- immediate need of tires , brakes etc not needed
- relative maintanence deferred
- much softer ride and much better handlling
- lower to the ground and cheaper easier to work on
- better mileage

Approaching retiremnet and having the funds for any decision it was a matter of choice and not just dollars - similar as the OP I think.

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am

GoofyOne wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 am
Jack is calculating how much further you will go with $9500 of fuel (both trucks using $9500/($2.9/gal)) of fuel.

Carl is calculating, if both trucks go the same distance, how many miles is needed so that the bigger truck uses $9500 more in fuel.
In my post (the third), I have 43,000 miles. Which is how far a truck that gets 13mpg will travel (assuming $3/gal) before consuming $10,000 worth of gas. That's the minimum point for buying a more fuel efficient vehicle where it doesn't matter how much more fuel efficient, which may not be the best number to use...

Depending on the fuel efficiency, the mileage goes up from there.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am

Hello RetiredAl,
His 2015 2500 HD is a gas powered pickup with a 6 speed so it has the 6L90 transmission. The newer 2018 with the 5.3 comes stock with that same trans (6 speed 6L90) but offers an optional 8 speed which the OP will not get with his specs. The 2500 is more than 1,000#'s heavier than the 1500 so the power and fuel required to go anywhere will be additional on that truck. Both are short beds so the stability from WB will be about equal with the height of the 2500 being a bit of a factor as well.

I believe either truck is more than adequate for a small #4,000 trailer - actually well over that capacity.
smitcat = If the question was what truck is needed haul, I don't disagree. However, the question is do I replace a perfectly good truck. I definitely would not. But then, he might be trying to justify a fancy new toy. If that is the case, go do it.

I am surprised that they use the same transmission.

FYI - I am car frugle. My daily driver is a low mileage 96 Civic I got 7 years ago from a little old lady - my Mom. Near anything that does not have square wheels works for me. My DW has the newer, its a 2012 model year Explorer.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm
smitcat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am

Hello RetiredAl,
His 2015 2500 HD is a gas powered pickup with a 6 speed so it has the 6L90 transmission. The newer 2018 with the 5.3 comes stock with that same trans (6 speed 6L90) but offers an optional 8 speed which the OP will not get with his specs. The 2500 is more than 1,000#'s heavier than the 1500 so the power and fuel required to go anywhere will be additional on that truck. Both are short beds so the stability from WB will be about equal with the height of the 2500 being a bit of a factor as well.

I believe either truck is more than adequate for a small #4,000 trailer - actually well over that capacity.
smitcat = If the question was what truck is needed haul, I don't disagree. However, the question is do I replace a perfectly good truck. I definitely would not. But then, he might be trying to justify a fancy new toy. If that is the case, go do it.

I am surprised that they use the same transmission.

FYI - I am car frugle. My daily driver is a low mileage 96 Civic I got 7 years ago from a little old lady - my Mom. Near anything that does not have square wheels works for me. My DW has the newer, its a 2012 model year Explorer.
"smitcat = If the question was what truck is needed haul, I don't disagree."
That is whet the OP asked us as well as a few other things.

"However, the question is do I replace a perfectly good truck. I definitely would not"
That is a question that was asked as well. Good is relative - he may want the differemces in the newer truck or the 'security' of the warrantee while he is traveling afar in early retirement - i just do not know.

"I am surprised that they use the same transmission."
You will likely be really surprises then by the fact that the new 8 speed has had good success in the newer C06 optioned C7 corvettes 650 hp / 650 ft lbs of torque in all but the all out racing applications.
Now if his 2500 had the diesel in it the trans would have been a solid as a rock allison - I had one of those and it worked great for towing in excess of 12,000#'s.

"FYI - I am car frugle. My daily driver is a low mileage 96 Civic I got 7 years ago from a little old lady - my Mom"
I have always been an internal cumbustion fanatic to a certian degree - without actually counting them up am sure we have owned about 40 cars/trucks by now.

Differences make the world go round....