What will (or would) you tip when wages go up?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GoldStar

Re: What will (or would) you tip when wages go up?

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm

annielouise wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:04 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am
annielouise wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am
GoldStar wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm
annielouise wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:10 pm
When we travel, we check* minimum wage laws for the state/ city and tip accordingly. We try to always tip with cash wherever we are.

* The spreadsheet we use for packing/ trip planning includes a link to the Wikipedia entry for wage laws.
I don't understand.
What exactly does "tip accordingly" mean above?
Higher wages = lower tip percent. Normal tipping at home (federal minimum wage) is usually greater than 20%.

Although with my broken stomach, we rarely eat out, even on vacation.
Lower by how much? Personally I always tip 20% - slightly lower if the service it bad - higher if the service is good. If someone is getting paid minimum wage (below poverty line in some states) I don't change.
If you are lowering the tip based upon minimum wage maybe you should also check with the restaurant owners - they might be paying more than minimum.
So, do you tip everyone who works for minimum wage? I don't understand your argument here. If a food server is paid less than 3 bucks an hour (typical in my area), I am going to give a tip of 20% or more. If I travel to a city where they make $15/hr (which is actually more than I made at my last job 3 years ago), I will tip less (10 - 15%). I don't tip the cashier who makes $9 an hour at a local store, do you?
It's kind of a moot point, since, as I said, I only eat out at sit down restaurants a couple of times a year. Nothing saves food dollars like a stomach that hates nearly all food!
The only point I was trying to make is I feel $15 an hour is also a pitifully low wage for waitstaff - doesn't seem a need to drop the tip. Sorry - I didn't mean to sound argumentative. Sorry about the stomach troubles also - must make it hard to travel!

ElJefe302

Post by ElJefe302 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 am

In the words of Mr. Pink “I don’t tip. I don’t believe in it” :mrgreen: I tip 15% unless I receive really bad service.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 am

whonoze wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm
20% always, unless there is a service fee. Then nothing. I've never even considered checking wage laws in the US. I do when traveling internationally, but that's rare these days.

They need the money more than I do.
Exactly right!
:sharebeer
:thumbsup

$80 is about the most my husband and I would spend on a meal around here, so the difference between 15% ($12) or 20% ($16) is minor. It's well within my budget and, having waited tables in college, I know the extra $4 means a lot more to the waiter than it does to me.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 pm

$15 an hour doesn't amount to a lot on an annual basis in the US, no matter how you look at it. There aren't a lot of locations where you can survive on a salary of about $30K a year, before deductions. Whether it's for a waiter, a fast food worker, a cashier or anyone else, it's not a lot. I don't fully understand why we differentiate between wait staff making $15 and hour and dishwashers, fast food workers, janitorial staff, etc. making the same if the minimum wage is raised to that level. With the exception of some high end restaurants, I don't see waiting tables being a lifelong end game profession. In NYC and LA, many wait staff are aspiring actors, artists, etc. OTOH, in small towns and rural areas, waiting may be the only job available. I waited tables at a hotel in college, finished my education and moved on. It wasn't a bad job, but the hours were long and the pay was low, even with tips. The real question, if we want to be intellectually honest, is why do we single out wait staff to be treated any differently than any other minimum wage service provider. Starting TSA airport security personnel don't make much more than $35K a year. They have benefits, but the cost of health insurance, SS, etc. comes out of their pay. Has anyone here ever considered tipping them? What about school crossing guards and school bus drivers - they make very little also? As in, here's $20 for getting my kids to school safely this week. What's more important, keeping your kids safe or getting a hot pizza? In my make believe world, there would be no tips for anything, as in many countries today. You get fair pay to do a job and that's it. OTOH, I've been in many places where tips are really bribes - you want your permit approved? How fast? Even happens in the US.

I do believe that most people chose the jobs they have for whatever reasons they have. If they want to make more money, they need to receive the appropriate education to do so or start their own businesses. Some of the richest people in the world don't have college degrees. Why are they where they are instead of waiting tables? I have nothing against people who chose to wait tables - it's just not our direct responsibility to provide them with a living wage. All that being said, yes, I tip 20% in full service restaurants. More if service is great, less if it's bad. And, no matter where I see them, I ignore tip jars and ipad tip hints in places that are not full service.