What will (or would) you tip when wages go up?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

What will (or would) you tip when wages go up?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Washington DC voters have just approved (to be phased in over many years)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... eea72dcd85

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... eea72dcd85

barnaclebob

Re: What will (or would) you tip when wages go up?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Well if my tip only went to make it so the owner didn't have to pay is workers as much then zero. What a dumb way to enact a min wage law for service workers.

Many of the restaurants around here ($15 min wage area) now include a mandatory service charge and I leave zero tip for those.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I live in Washington DC and voted in yesterday's primary election. There's a lot of emotion and misinformation on both sides of this issue, so I would hope that any responses are civil and carefully phrased. This topic could easily degenerate into a political discussion.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:10 pm

When we travel, we check* minimum wage laws for the state/ city and tip accordingly. We try to always tip with cash wherever we are.

* The spreadsheet we use for packing/ trip planning includes a link to the Wikipedia entry for wage laws.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:13 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm
I live in Washington DC and voted in yesterday's primary election. There's a lot of emotion and misinformation on both sides of this issue, so I would hope that any responses are civil and carefully phrased. This topic could easily degenerate into a political discussion.
Right.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:27 pm

10% or less.

Or maybe more precisely, whatever the total cost would have been before the law. I don't consider restaurants having higher minimum wage and not depending on tips should mean that I should pay a higher amount to dine out from before when I was giving 20% tips.

lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

20% always, unless there is a service fee. Then nothing. I've never even considered checking wage laws in the US. I do when traveling internationally, but that's rare these days.

They need the money more than I do.

whonoze

Post by whonoze » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

lucky_tech_guy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm
20% always, unless there is a service fee. Then nothing. I've never even considered checking wage laws in the US. I do when traveling internationally, but that's rare these days.

Exactly right!
:sharebeer
Just my two cents | Worth about what two cents can buy nowadays

Chuckyballs

Post by Chuckyballs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Here in California, our servers already make min wage (or more) plus tip. Unless the servers are really bad, I still tip 15-20 percent. Even really bad servers get 10 percent minimum from me.

I was having a conversation with an old friend in KY who was telling me that many restaurants there don't report tips like they are supposed to so most of the waiters/waitresses make like $20 a day on paper then get $100 a day in cash tips. This allows them to qualify for all kinds of welfare type assistance. I don't know how much truth there is to what he was saying.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:08 pm

I have never understood what makes restaurants different from every other kind of business. A company provides goods or services in exchange for the customer's price, out of which costs should be covered with the remainder being profit (assuming a good business model and prices set ‘correctly’ for the market).

The existing law says that restaurants have to make up the difference between tipped-wage + tips received and the legal minimum wage for other workers. So, we pretend that tips are a transaction between the customer and the server, but they function as part of the business's de facto revenue up to that income-threshold for the server. In addition, the perceived quality of service depends also on the chef, dishwashers, bus boys, etc. so the usefulness of tips as a price-signal to encourage good service is dubious.

I think the market is better served by having restaurants play by the same rules as every other business. I currently tip, but will scale back and then eliminate tipping as the higher wage comes into play.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm

lucky_tech_guy wrote:

Exactly. I can't see nickle and dimeing someone depending on if they make $10 or $15 an hour.

Besides that while system is crazy complex. It's almost as nuts as our healthcare system.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote:

Besides that while system is crazy complex. It's almost as nuts as our healthcare system.

At least, so far, we don't tip Physicians, PA, NPs, nurses, phlebotomists, EMTs ... :sharebeer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 pm

As the referenced articles document - some of those relying on tips do very, very well financially - while others do not.

That is consistent with a few folks I encounter who also depend on tips.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Chuckyballs wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm
I was having a conversation with an old friend in KY who was telling me that many restaurants there don't report tips like they are supposed to so most of the waiters/waitresses make like $20 a day on paper then get $100 a day in cash tips. This allows them to qualify for all kinds of welfare type assistance. I don't know how much truth there is to what he was saying.
They'd be taking a huge risk to not report credit card tips, but reporting cash tips is the responsibility of the employee, and the large majority do not report all of them. He was probably exaggerating this.
For jobs that don't require a college education or other qualifications, waiting tables is a really good income. I waited tables in college, almost 20 years ago at a pretty average sports bar. Even back then, I averaged $13-$14 per hour, and that was when most menu items were under $10. These days, servers at fine dining places can easily make $75k+ per year. Even workers at low end chain places are making more than folks working retail, grocery, etc.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:53 pm

To the robot that the restaurant owner purchased, 0. To the server, I don't know... Would it be like Europe?

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Also 20%.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm

Cycle wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:53 pm
To the robot that the restaurant owner purchased, 0. To the server, I don't know... Would it be like Europe?
Why do you discriminate against robots? Don't they have little robots at home to feed? :sharebeer

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm
Cycle wrote:
Why do you discriminate against robots? Don't they have little robots at home to feed? :sharebeer
...and they need it more than you do...

sunshine18

Post by sunshine18 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Unless there is a service fee, 15-20% is a safe bet for me.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Unless there is a service fee, 15%.

KlangFool

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm

annielouise wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:10 pm
When we travel, we check* minimum wage laws for the state/ city and tip accordingly. We try to always tip with cash wherever we are.

* The spreadsheet we use for packing/ trip planning includes a link to the Wikipedia entry for wage laws.
I don't understand.
What exactly does "tip accordingly" mean above?

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm
mouses wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote:

At least, so far, we don't tip Physicians, PA, NPs, nurses, phlebotomists, EMTs ... :sharebeer
Concierge service.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 pm

The wage in the state does not matter to us

Typical For us is minimum 20%. If we have a small order, like a couple of salads, then just a round number, which ends up being in the 25% - 50% range

It’s probably relevant that we are retired and these tipping financial decisions are not material to our financial well-being.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Chuckyballs wrote:
I was having a conversation with an old friend in KY who was telling me that many restaurants there don't report tips like they are supposed to so most of the waiters/waitresses make like $20 a day on paper then get $100 a day in cash tips.
So if they work five days a week they earn about $30K per year total. How much do most of us here make?
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Not sure what a "service fee" is. Many restaurants now have a small area at the bottom of the check with several suggested tip levels - say 15%, $17%, 20% and 22% and the respective dollar amounts. Makes it easier to figure out. And places that use ipads or other portable devices have "suggested" tip amounts you can just tap. Depending on what country you are in tipping varies widely - from US style to tip included an you leave some loose change. Where I draw the line is when places like dry cleaners, bakeries, carry outs and other similar places have tip jars or a tip line on their ipads or their other devices that take charges. I have no idea where the expanded tipping of anyone who does anything as a service deserves a tip for doing their job. Does someone who hands you a box of donuts get a tip? What were they hired to do if not that? We were recently in a restaurant that stated clearly on the bill that their employees were fairly compensated and that tipping was not expected or accepted. Their prices were a bit higher than normal, but not excessive. Frankly, I prefer that practice.

I worked as a waiter in college and was paid next to nothing. Tips were the only real pay and most people did tip reasonably. We tip well in restaurants and that's about it. We also tip for prepared home food deliveries. And for maids in hotel. Not much else. Like I said, I think the number of people who think they deserve tips has gotten out of control.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Tipping rubs me the wrong way for some reason, especially the cup at the end of a place like subway/jersey mikes's/etc, where I stand in line, give guidance on what I want and pay, or Starbucks when I only order a coffee, or a bar or golf course where someone hands be a beer or hot dog.

Having said that, when I go to places with low minimum wage for waiters (other states), I try to be more generous. I also look up the pay for waiters before I travel to make sure they are being paid adequately (either via minimum wage or my tips) In my area (Calif), my buying habits are shifting: eating a little more at home and at lower end places.

I went to In-&-Out burger a short while ago. Young lady at the counter was very, very nice. I would have given her a couple bucks -- she said they weren't allowed to take tips. I went to Chick-Fil-A this week. I would tip there also. The servers there treat people very well. They can use the money, they aren't making $75K per year.

The economics will work out in the end. Increased minimum wage, prices go up to compensate, places with really low profit margins will go belly up, and workers, owners, and customers will be impacted (negatively I expect).
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Now that I am all riled up, there is one other thing: I don't like paying $6 or $7 for a beer (plus 9.5% sales tax :shock: , plus tip. $8 or $9 for a beer worth $1.50? It chaps my hide. I drink water now.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm

lucky_tech_guy wrote:
That's never been a good reason to me. The list of people who need the money more than I do is extremely long. Do you tip the clerk at 7-11? Or the guy who comes to read the meter (if you still have that going on). And why limit to 20%? Give everyone $50, or $100.

It's very likely that everyone I come into contact with, except probably doctors, would need the money more than me.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote:
That's never been a good reason to me. The list of people who need the money more than I do is extremely long. Do you tip the clerk at 7-11? Or the guy who comes to read the meter (if you still have that going on). And why limit to 20%? Give everyone $50, or $100.
It's very likely that everyone I come into contact with, except probably doctors, would need the money more than me.
I am in an aspect of lending - and I was recently shocked at the relatively high income of a young woman who had a lot of income from tips - she is (as best I understand) a bar tender.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm

NYnative wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 pm
Not sure what a "service fee" is. Many restaurants now have a small area at the bottom of the check with several suggested tip levels - say 15%, $17%, 20% and 22% and the respective dollar amounts. Makes it easier to figure out. And places that use ipads or other portable devices have "suggested" tip amounts you can just tap. Depending on what country you are in tipping varies widely - from US style to tip included an you leave some loose change. Where I draw the line is when places like dry cleaners, bakeries, carry outs and other similar places have tip jars or a tip line on their ipads or their other devices that take charges. I have no idea where the expanded tipping of anyone who does anything as a service deserves a tip for doing their job. Does someone who hands you a box of donuts get a tip? What were they hired to do if not that? We were recently in a restaurant that stated clearly on the bill that their employees were fairly compensated and that tipping was not expected or accepted. Their prices were a bit higher than normal, but not excessive. Frankly, I prefer that practice.

I worked as a waiter in college and was paid next to nothing. Tips were the only real pay and most people did tip reasonably. We tip well in restaurants and that's about it. We also tip for prepared home food deliveries. And for maids in hotel. Not much else. Like I said, I think the number of people who think they deserve tips has gotten out of control.
We've taken to ASKING "who gets" the service fee.
Sometimes it's the establishment, with none to the server.
Other times, it's all to the server.
And on the third hand, it's split.
(Does it vary by state or other jurisdiction?)

So we ask, and then tip accordingly.
If it goes to the server, we usually add some little amount if the service was good, and we mention that we've "added a little something anyway".

If it does NOT go to the server, then we are back to the 20% range unless service was bad.

And the occasional time when we'll stop for coffee (with or without a snack), we might leave a tip that is more than the bill, especially if we sat there a while.

Someone asked above, what does it matter whether they need it more...?
Okay... they are helping us to have a better experience (dining, usually). If they help by making that more pleasant rather than "just slapping a plate of food in front of us" or such, then we are happy to "share".
Back in the day, I was a cocktail waitress. Back then, the occasional $5 tip *really* meant something to me... The very rare larger tip (I'm talking about per drink/round, not "end of the evening/tab") was deeply appreciated, more than the person probably imagined.
We assume there are many such people serving us now.
Life isn't fair, but we can help it out just a bit.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:46 pm

wait a minute, some restaurants are adding a service fee and they keep 100% of it? Why would you dine there?

z91

Post by z91 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Oh look, a tipping thread.

I'm sure this thread will end quickly, and with consensus.

I say the above sarcastically, for those that can't detect it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

mayday23 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:46 pm
wait a minute, some restaurants are adding a service fee and they keep 100% of it? Why would you dine there?
Where we have seen this, and in more than one place, is actually room service at hotels.
I'm not sure if we've seen it at free-standing restaurants, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Some (room service) menus are now making this explicit, at least, stating what happens to the "service fee".
Even when it says "all to server", we still ASK them, and hope they are feeling free to verbally tell us if they are getting the money.
But if it's for the "hotel" (or food prep budget or whatever), why don't they just bundle it into the food costs?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Tip, if you want, but if you don't want to tip, YOU are the cheapskate. That is our society. Woven into the fabric of dining out. It is not a nice thing. Once again employers have power given to them by law to pay less tha the general public workers get. And we have swallowed it all through the years. Now we really believe it is our job to supplement their poor wages with our handouts. Which we call tips.
So the restaurants are afraid if they pay more they have to charge more. So be it. Maybe some day we can see how that would work. No service charge please. Just increase the prices to what you need.
Recently back from Scotland. No tipping. All prices clear and include tax. You pay the exact amount on the menu. Your bill does not come with added taxes, tips, service charges or anything.
Here we have this new tendency for an iPad to be at the table and we order and pay off of that. Then, you are supposed to give a tip, same as always. Even though the wait staff has less to do.
Tipping is like the hated bag charge on an airline. However we have managed to neutralize its negative impact by personalizing the tip, whereas the bag charge is corporate. We can hate that.
I hope wages go up. Then no obligation by me and no groveling by the wait staff.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:45 pm

The REAL minimum wage is always ZERO, because business owners aren't forced to hire anyone.

That said, I always tip min wage workers very well because they work hard at crappy jobs.
Funding secured

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm
Tip, if you want, but if you don't want to tip, YOU are the cheapskate. That is our society. Woven into the fabric of dining out. It is not a nice thing. Once again employers have power given to them by law to pay less tha the general public workers get. And we have swallowed it all through the years. Now we really believe it is our job to supplement their poor wages with our handouts. Which we call tips.
So the restaurants are afraid if they pay more they have to charge more. So be it. Maybe some day we can see how that would work. No service charge please. Just increase the prices to what you need.
Recently back from Scotland. No tipping. All prices clear and include tax. You pay the exact amount on the menu. Your bill does not come with added taxes, tips, service charges or anything.
Here we have this new tendency for an iPad to be at the table and we order and pay off of that. Then, you are supposed to give a tip, same as always. Even though the wait staff has less to do.
Tipping is like the hated bag charge on an airline. However we have managed to neutralize its negative impact by personalizing the tip, whereas the bag charge is corporate. We can hate that.
I hope wages go up. Then no obligation by me and no groveling by the wait staff.
I detest the iPad. Local coffee shop has fixed tip amounts (in dollars not percentages). Though the iPad is facing the customer, they are able to see what you tip. As such, I usually tip 50% on a $2 coffee. I do not like it, but I have no spine so :beer

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

I tip 20% and will continue tipping 20% unless/until customs change. If restaurants end up charging more to cover their increased wages, I will factor in the increased prices when deciding how often to eat out and where.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 pm

I would go out far less because the cost of doing so will rise commensurately. And then your tip will be based on that increased cost. No thanks.

I would certainly not tip more than 15% in any event. Probably 10% when the law is fully implemented.

I’ve worked every job in a restaurant other than barkeep and head cook. As a tipped server, your wage was a third of the dishwasher or prep cook, but you made it up tenfold in tips. Maybe more.

Should be interesting as to how it affects the industry. I guarantee the place I worked would have never taken a chance on me as a server under this law. I almost wonder if wait-staff training schools will start popping up.

JT

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm
Cycle wrote:
...and they need it more than you do...
...and they remember forever, unless you degauss them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 pm

I go out to eat rarely, and when I do, it's for the company, not the food. When I am with other people, I tip as the others do.

While my own tip expenses are negligible, I consider it a psychologically flawed practice for two reasons:
1. People are more sensitive to the number of instances than to the amounts. It's cognitively easier to pay a single price for a meal than to split it into the food and the service.
2. The strongest memories of an experience are its peak and end. See Kahneman's experiments with colonoscopy. By expecting tips at the end, restaurants create negative memories. (Mixing colonoscopies and restaurants in the same paragraph is intentional.)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm

20--25% as I now do.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm
in my EMT days I did have one patient try to tip me... a nice old lady. I told her to wait until she saw her bill, and to give it to charity if she still felt compelled. :twisted:

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 pm

I like to cook at home. So I tipped myself a nice set of french copper cookware.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 pm
I like to cook at home. So I tipped myself a nice set of french copper cookware.
Best response yet! This made me laugh. :D

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:22 am

Chuckyballs wrote:
Here in California, our servers already make min wage (or more) plus tip.
Everyone makes at least minimum wage, right? That's why they call it minimum wage. Do you mean "living wage"? I think that's around $15 or so now. But it requires a bit of research since municipalities may impose higher pay than state or county requirements. If it's $15, no tip.

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 am

Depending on how the wage level develops, down to 0%. Plenty of countries combine salaried waiters with decent service and no tipping culture. I follow tipping culture wherever I in the world I go so for now, I’ll adhere to USA tip guidelines in the USA and keep in mind to see what the salaries are like in dc, San Francisco, etc.

My parents always tipped above the expected percentages because, I think, it made them feel good about themselves. That’s a common behavior and has been studied. I feel good tipping exactly the expected amount and saving the rest to spend on something I’ll enjoy more than the act of tipping.

I suppose the trend in the USA will eventually be to salaried servers with tip jars like elsewhere in the economy. Servers will be given more tables and become more efficient while expectations of what a server’s job is will change. And of course, payment will be up front even in nice restaurants.

student

Post by student » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:22 am
Chuckyballs wrote:
Here in California, our servers already make min wage (or more) plus tip.
Everyone makes at least minimum wage, right? That's why they call it minimum wage. Do you mean "living wage"? I think that's around $15 or so now. But it requires a bit of research since municipalities may impose higher pay than state or county requirements. If it's $15, no tip.
I do think Chuckyballs meant minimum wage. At many states, employers do not pay tipped employees regular minimum wage. If tipped employees do not make the regular minimum, I think employers are required to bring the pay up to the regular minimum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

So I think Chuckballs is referring to the fact that there is no difference in the mandated amount for tipped and untipped employees in California. Your point is also correct that everyone makes at least minimum wage if my understanding, that employers need to pay extra even tips are insufficient, is correct. Maybe my understanding is not correct. From the wikipedia page that I posted above, I do not see the "make-up" part for some states.

My next comment is not directed at you. It is just my feeling about the term "living wage." I dislike the term as many do not define it and use it as a battle cry. (Of course, I think you used it very properly as you mentioned the local condition.) It depends how one defines it. On one hand, one can define it as enough to support one person in a frugal lifestyle. I have also seen someone defining it as enough to support a family of four.

Back to the original question. I would probably want to tip less but most likely not feel comfortable enough to make dramatic changes. Maybe just closer to 15% than 20%.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm
annielouise wrote:

I don't understand.
Higher wages = lower tip percent. Normal tipping at home (federal minimum wage) is usually greater than 20%.

Although with my broken stomach, we rarely eat out, even on vacation.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

annielouise wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am
GoldStar wrote:
annielouise wrote:

I don't understand.
Higher wages = lower tip percent. Normal tipping at home (federal minimum wage) is usually greater than 20%.

Lower by how much? Personally I always tip 20% - slightly lower if the service it bad - higher if the service is good. If someone is getting paid minimum wage (below poverty line in some states) I don't change.
If you are lowering the tip based upon minimum wage maybe you should also check with the restaurant owners - they might be paying more than minimum.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:04 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am
annielouise wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am
GoldStar wrote:
annielouise wrote:

I don't understand.

Lower by how much? Personally I always tip 20% - slightly lower if the service it bad - higher if the service is good. If someone is getting paid minimum wage (below poverty line in some states) I don't change.
If you are lowering the tip based upon minimum wage maybe you should also check with the restaurant owners - they might be paying more than minimum.
So, do you tip everyone who works for minimum wage? I don't understand your argument here. If a food server is paid less than 3 bucks an hour (typical in my area), I am going to give a tip of 20% or more. If I travel to a city where they make $15/hr (which is actually more than I made at my last job 3 years ago), I will tip less (10 - 15%). I don't tip the cashier who makes $9 an hour at a local store, do you?
It's kind of a moot point, since, as I said, I only eat out at sit down restaurants a couple of times a year. Nothing saves food dollars like a stomach that hates nearly all food!