Surprise - Costco sells - but does not install vehicle batteries

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Surprise - Costco sells - but does not install vehicle batteries

Post by dm200 »

Glad I checked before I went there - surprised that Costco does not install car batteries. :(
EagertoLearnMore

Re: Surprise - Costco sells - but does not install vehicle batteries

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Unfortunately not installed at Costco.

Sam's Club does install and sell batteries.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Good to know.

Wouldn't it be easy for most people to do it themselves?

I like interstate battery because it is near my house, it is a small shop, and they change out the battery for you. I can be in and out in less than 10 minutes.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Costco Tire Center's tasks are extremely limited. In my area, they install new tires, perform rotation, balancing and puncture repairs. That's about it.

They don't do alignments that are critical to keep the tires wear even. In my area with subpar road condition, annual alignment is a must and many tire shops offer "lifetime" alignment for a few hundred dollars.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I usually buy my batteries and Farm & Fleet and they install for you. But yes, I have swapped a battery or two out myself and it is easy.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Takes 10 min to install a new battery. Would you pay others $50 install fee?
sport

Post by sport »

Changing a battery is easy, but it can be dangerous if done improperly.
feehater

Post by feehater »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am Takes 10 min to install a new battery. Would you pay others $50 install fee?
Most places do it for free. Including stores like Napa, advance Auto parts, etc.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am Takes 10 min to install a new battery. Would you pay others $50 install fee?
Who charges $50 to do that? Auto Zone does it for free if you buy your battery there.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

the $50 is included in NAPA and AutoZone battery price. It is usually $50 more than Costco one. If you want low price with free install, go to Sam's. I like Costco one because their battery is from Johnson Control and generous return policy.
snowman

Post by snowman »

feehater wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 am
Most places do it for free. Including stores like Napa, advance Auto parts, etc.
That's true. They also charge a lot more for the battery.

It's 2 nuts, 2-3 wrench turns each. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Plus, Costco has the most liberal exchange policy - there is no testing by the store whether the battery should really be replaced and credit given. You bring it in, get the credit at the return counter, buy a new one, and out you go.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

I would guess that the cost of storage and disposal of the old batteries is likely what Costco is trying to avoid.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

With all the new electronic systems on cars these days are there special precautions or procedures that must be taken when changing out a battery if self-changed? I would assume (hopefully properly) that any shop would know how to handle all the various issues that could arise if there are any.
Tom D.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

FreemanB wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:13 am I would guess that the cost of storage and disposal of the old batteries is likely what Costco is trying to avoid.
I have bought plenty of batteries at Costco - they have a batt return policy and core charge there similar to Walmart and others.
Oil return policy as well if you buy lube oil there.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Rupert wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am Who charges $50 to do that? Auto Zone does it for free if you buy your battery there.
Only if the battery is "under the hood".
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Battery change out is pretty easy if and only if a person has 1) the strength and agility to lift a 35-50 lb battery in and out of the engine bay and 2) the skill set to remove old battery safely, and insure the battery is installed securely and properly (including not shorting out the battery or other electronic parts that can easily be damaged ($-$$$).

I love Costco for almost every thing but for car batteries they are not a good option. I have bought batteries at Walmart for 20 years. Walmart actually sells good quality batteries at reasonable prices and quickly installs them at no extra charge.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am Battery change out is pretty easy if and only if a person has 1) the strength and agility to lift a 35-50 lb battery in and out of the engine bay and 2) the skill set to remove old battery safely, and insure the battery is installed securely and properly (including not shorting out the battery or other electronic parts that can easily be damaged ($-$$$).

I love Costco for almost every thing but for car batteries they are not a good option. I have bought batteries at Walmart for 20 years. Walmart actually sells good quality batteries at reasonable prices and quickly installs them at no extra charge.
Also a great time to clean your Battery Terminals and clamps.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/deal-battery-corrosion/

Just like any car or home repairs, be prepared, take your time and enjoy learning something.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am Battery change out is pretty easy if and only if a person has 1) the strength and agility to lift a 35-50 lb battery in and out of the engine bay and 2) the skill set to remove old battery safely, and insure the battery is installed securely and properly (including not shorting out the battery or other electronic parts that can easily be damaged ($-$$$).
If you install it yourself - you need to get ris of the old one.
Therapist Investor

Post by Therapist Investor »

FreemanB wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:13 am I would guess that the cost of storage and disposal of the old batteries is likely what Costco is trying to avoid.
I believe Costco does take the old batteries back to recycle. You can also return the battery no questions asked.
"Get what you can, and what you get hold, 'Tis the stone that will turn all your lead into gold." | -Benjamin Franklin
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am
Which are you know is very easy to do. Just return it to Costco for a core credit. If you prefer, you can also take it to Autozone or other auto parts stores, even if you didn't buy your battery there. Autozone received my last old airplane battery.
sport

Post by sport »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am
Costco charges a "core charge" which is refunded if you return the old battery to their store. They take care of disposal.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

It would never cross my mind to have someone else replace my battery. Even if bought at autozone or the like.

I typically save the $25 overcharge and buy at Costco, though.

JT
PVW

Post by PVW »

Car batteries are easily recycled. Some sources claim they are the most recycled items in the world with a 99% recycle rate. Many places will pay you for used lead acid batteries.

I just dropped one off at a major auto parts retailer. I think they would have given me a $10 gift card, but I was happy to be rid of it and didn't stick around to wait for it.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

PVW wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 pm
Car batteries are easily recycled. Some sources claim they are the most recycled items in the world with a 99% recycle rate. Many places will pay you for used lead acid batteries.

I just dropped one off at a major auto parts retailer. I think they would have given me a $10 gift card, but I was happy to be rid of it and didn't stick around to wait for it.
Not only are they easily recycled, they are a double-threat environmental hazard if disposed of incorrectly.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Depends on your car. Sure, the manual part is simple, but some cars (BMW) require battery registration which is a quick programming. Without it, there can be charging issues.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

That depends on where you battery is located. If removing a wheel and the air cleaner housing is required like on last car, then no--Autozone et al do not replace for free. If it is in a simple location, then they will replace for no additional cost.

But the "free" install may require paying significantly more money than just buying the JC manufactured battery at Costco and installing yourself. Costco will recycle your battery (and refund core charge if you bring either a receipt). I bought my last battery from Costco and I'm not even a member---I used a Costco Cash Card as a non-member since Costco's policy does not require membership for purchases with a Cash Card.

Costco sells motor oil and car wax products too, but they don't apply them to your car either. No surprise about vehicle batteries.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

SelfEmployed123 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 amI believe Costco does take the old batteries back to recycle. You can also return the battery no questions asked.
Ahh, didn't know they took the old ones. Hmm, not sure why they don't install them then.(I'm sure there's a monetary reason though)
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

It seems like batteries are being placed all over cars these days. My Infiniti was buried in the upper passenger side. My BMW is in the trunk.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

One trick of doing your own is to use a memory saver plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet to maintain your radio presets and other computer memory while you are swapping the main battery. Last time I rigged my own with a nine volt battery and old phone charger. Just cut off the phone end, strip the wires back a bit, and tack soldered it directly to the battery. Just make sure it is plugged into an "always on" outlet and not one that switches with the ignition.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

tev9876 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am One trick of doing your own is to use a memory saver plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet to maintain your radio presets and other computer memory while you are swapping the main battery. Last time I rigged my own with a nine volt battery and old phone charger. Just cut off the phone end, strip the wires back a bit, and tack soldered it directly to the battery. Just make sure it is plugged into an "always on" outlet and not one that switches with the ignition.
Sounds like a bit more work than what I do....I simply connect my battery charger to the car before I remove the old battery, and then remove it after the new battery is installed.

BTW I just bought a battery at Costco yesterday. It would have cost an additional $15 had I not handed them my old battery.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Not all batteries are easy to remove - some are very difficult and require the use of a battery puller.
My Jeep Rubicon is one of those vehicles - and the battery was not available at Costco.
Autozone had the Jeep battery and the counter guy came out and did the install - free - and virtually no waiting for him to get to it.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Costco info by others is correct - they sell but do not install batteries. They take back your old battery and the core return fee is refunded.

Two things to note - their batteries are not fully charged when sold. So you will have to take a 30min trip out or run your car for 30 mins to fully charge the new battery.

Honda (at least my 2010 CRV) has a 'magic code' you need to enter into your radio/entertainment console in order to get it working again. The standard place dealers put the sticker with the magic code is on the edge of the glove box. Seems it's to render the device unusable if removed (think theft), removing the battery triggers something so the system will not work again without the magic code entered when prompted. As me how I know... :)
dbr

Post by dbr »

I would be with the people who may prefer that a mass retailer not attempt to install the battery.

It might not even be completely stupid with a current model vehicle under warranty to have a dealer do it so there is no dispute about who caused what to stop working. My position is a little jaded having endured problems with a faulty new car OEM battery. At least I came out of it at zero cost in dollars.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am Just like any car or home repairs, be prepared, take your time and enjoy learning something.
As i seem to recall, we have replaced one battery in the last fifteen years. On a Prius, where it isn’t under the hood and not a standard sized battery. Not a particularly useful skill we learned, since we no longer have a Prius. I generally prefer to learn things that are of more frequent use, though admittedly it didn’t take very long to learn this. About as long as glancing over this thread and deciding to respond here, I guess ;)
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dbr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am I would be with the people who may prefer that a mass retailer not attempt to install the battery.
It might not even be completely stupid with a current model vehicle under warranty to have a dealer do it so there is no dispute about who caused what to stop working. My position is a little jaded having endured problems with a faulty new car OEM battery. At least I came out of it at zero cost in dollars.
I purchased one at CarQuest - and they came out to my car in the parking lot and installed it. We shall see.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 am
SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am Just like any car or home repairs, be prepared, take your time and enjoy learning something.
As i seem to recall, we have replaced one battery in the last fifteen years. On a Prius, where it isn’t under the hood and not a standard sized battery. Not a particularly useful skill we learned, since we no longer have a Prius. I generally prefer to learn things that are of more frequent use, though admittedly it didn’t take very long to learn this. About as long as glancing over this thread and deciding to respond here, I guess ;)
When I say learn I don't necessary mean retain. Its nice to give our brains something different than what we are accustomed to! :sharebeer
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

snowman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am
That's true. They also charge a lot more for the battery.

It's 2 nuts, 2-3 wrench turns each. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Plus, Costco has the most liberal exchange policy - there is no testing by the store whether the battery should really be replaced and credit given. You bring it in, get the credit at the return counter, buy a new one, and out you go.
It *is* very easy, just so long as you don't own certain European brands (BMW is one example) that require a special dealer reset of the onboard computer after changing the battery.

Another suggestion is to make sure you have any necessary security codes for the radio, etc before changing. Other than that pretty much anyone with a basic wrench can do it.
sport

Post by sport »

The standard caution applies: When doing anything with an auto battery, be sure to wear eye protection. Acid is the obvious possible hazard. However, if things are not done properly, it is possible for the battery to explode. You don't want a piece of plastic shrapnel projected into your eye.

In a previous life, I was an auto battery engineer. I developed devices to minimize the occurrence of battery explosions.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

sport wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm The standard caution applies: When doing anything with an auto battery, be sure to wear eye protection. Acid is the obvious possible hazard. However, if things are not done properly, it is possible for the battery to explode. You don't want a piece of plastic shrapnel projected into your eye.
In a previous life, I was an auto battery engineer. I developed devices to minimize the occurrence of battery explosions.
One good reason I had CarQuest install mine :)
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I got a lot of weird (envious?) looks from people (mostly guys) when I bought my last battery from an Auto Parts store since a young female did the installation. I asked her if auto work ran in the family but she was the only one that did it (her father was a CPA). I figured if I was going to let a guy do it, in this day and age, I wasn't going to tell her not to do it.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
z91

Post by z91 »

rich126 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:23 pm I got a lot of weird (envious?) looks from people (mostly guys) when I bought my last battery from an Auto Parts store since a young female did the installation. I asked her if auto work ran in the family but she was the only one that did it (her father was a CPA). I figured if I was going to let a guy do it, in this day and age, I wasn't going to tell her not to do it.
Good. We need more women doing jobs like that. I don't care who does the work as long as they are competent.

Similarly I bought a water heater from Home Depot a few years ago. Never bought one before so I just got there with my flatbed cart, stood there confused for 10 minutes on how I was gonna load it up, and a female associate does the whole thing for me with ease. She simply slid the unit around and knew about the control point (the side of the box to NOT lay it on), and got me out of there in a few minutes. She even loaded it up in my car for me. Again, doesn't matter to me who does the job as long as they do it, and do it RIGHT.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I'd kind of like to "see the paperwork" on there being a large hidden installation charge at auto parts stores. I wouldn't doubt that Costco might be cheaper, but they are on lots of things. Has anyone done a real comparison for batteries of similar features and warranty?
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:52 pm I'd kind of like to "see the paperwork" on there being a large hidden installation charge at auto parts stores. I wouldn't doubt that Costco might be cheaper, but they are on lots of things. Has anyone done a real comparison for batteries of similar features and warranty?
Oh yes - I am 100% sure that there was a markup on my CarQuest battery purchase to cover their costs of "free" installation.
mikep

Post by mikep »

My costco battery died after 2 years 11 months.. 1 month before the 3 year warranty expired. They gave me a full refund and the new battery was $1 cheaper. No where else in America can you return an old battery without it being tested, get a new battery, $1 and a fresh 42 month warranty.
SanityCheck

Post by SanityCheck »

AAA has a battery service....they will come to your house and change it in the driveway. Price was the same as buying a battery at a store. Batteries are made my Interstate (I believe) and come with a good warranty. Used them twice....very happy :happy
In the process of changing the battery.....they hook up a temporary one (to save all your car / radio settings).
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

SanityCheck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:35 pm AAA has a battery service....they will come to your house and change it in the driveway. Price was the same as buying a battery at a store. Batteries are made my Interstate (I believe) and come with a good warranty. Used them twice....very happy :happy
In the process of changing the battery.....they hook up a temporary one (to save all your car / radio settings).
yes - two or three years ago I used this handy service from AAA
sport

Post by sport »

SanityCheck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:35 pm AAA has a battery service....they will come to your house and change it in the driveway. Price was the same as buying a battery at a store. Batteries are made my Interstate (I believe) and come with a good warranty. Used them twice....very happy :happy
When you compared AAA price to other places, did you also compare battery ratings? The batteries may look the same on the outside, but there can be a world of difference on the inside. Higher ratings mean better performance and longer life. A battery with lower ratings is often a false economy.

When I was in that business, we had batteries with 7 small plates per cell and some with 15 large plates per cell in the same group size. The group size is what fits your car. We had product lines that were "economy" grade, "original equipment" grade, "premium" grade, and "super premium" grade. There were even instances where two grades were the same and the only differences were price and warranty. The lesson to be learned from all this is to select batteries by ratings, not price or warranty.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am Glad I checked before I went there - surprised that Costco does not install car batteries. :(
Uhhhhh..... two bolts and maybe a wingnut? I guess I'd argue if you can't install a battery maybe you shouldn't be driving a car. I put it in the same category as checking the oil and filling the gas tank, and I'm no mechanical genius. Maybe there are some batteries that aren't super easy, but I've neer owned a car with one that wasn't VERY straightforward. If you can jump a car, you can change the battery.

At any rate, if you're not comfortable with it, don't buy from Costco. As noted above, there are MANY places to buy a battery where the shop will install it and dispose of the old one.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

dm200 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:52 pm I'd kind of like to "see the paperwork" on there being a large hidden installation charge at auto parts stores. I wouldn't doubt that Costco might be cheaper, but they are on lots of things. Has anyone done a real comparison for batteries of similar features and warranty?
Oh yes - I am 100% sure that there was a markup on my CarQuest battery purchase to cover their costs of "free" installation.
That's not exactly a comparison. What are the CQ and Costco equivalent ones, and how much difference was there?
sport

Post by sport »

White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm I guess I'd argue if you can't install a battery maybe you shouldn't be driving a car.
If you are young and strong, this might be valid. If you are elderly, or have a bad back, lifting a 30 to 40 lb. battery in and out of a car might not be possible.