Surprise - Costco sells - but does not install vehicle batteries

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Flymore

Re: Surprise - Costco sells - but does not install vehicle batteries

Post by Flymore » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Costco auto does not sell the battery for my wife's car, a 2012 Chevy Malibu so had to go elsewhere. :shock: :oops:
The guy behind the counter at Costco told me he could try and match it, but no thanks the car has a battery box and must fit in it exactly so I went elsewhere. This battery was nothing to install, very basic three bolts done.

They did have a Interstate battery for my Impala at a good price and I got it. There are youtube videos on installing a battery in your car and I followed them. I've read that some auto parts stores will not install a battery in a Chevy Impala as the battery fits partially inside the passenger fender, it was sorta like a scene from big-time wrestling. After an hour, I won. :D

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:33 pm

sport wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm
I guess I'd argue if you can't install a battery maybe you shouldn't be driving a car.
If you are young and strong, this might be valid. If you are elderly, or have a bad back, lifting a 30 to 40 lb. battery in and out of a car might not be possible.
I say this is completely wrong. If you own a car you should have AAA. You never will know when the car will break down and you need a tow. Another good use of AAA is they offer bettery service. Your battery dies they come test the charging system and if it's the battery they will replace it. I have used them 4 times with my family cars.

Sure, it may cost a little more than going to Discount Auto Parts. But what will I do when I am stuck with no tools in the car to change the battery. And how will I get to the store if my battery is dead. Then the time it takes for someone to bring me tools. Then drive me to the store. Drive back and install the new battery. I just had one replaced last week when the car died at home. Sure I could change the batter but AAA got here in 30 min. and took care of the problem for $125.00

Also, would I expect my wife to change her batter when it died at work. It was easy for her. Call AAA. DONE

MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 pm

EagertoLearnMore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am
Unfortunately not installed at Costco.

Sam's Club does install and sell batteries.
Not completely true. Sam’s Club is like all the others, they won’t change it if they have to go through something else to get to it now.

I had bought a battery for my Odyssey from them, and they installed it. The battery died within two years so I went back for the warranty. That was the weirdest exchange. They gave me cash back for previous price and made me buy a new battery at current price instead of exchanging 1 for 1.
Then they did not want to install it because of their new policy about not being easily accessible. I had to argue with a manager that this is an exchange and they should put it back. Their argument was that it was a return and new purchase and they couldn’t install it per new policy. I had to eventually sign a handmade waver that they were not responsible for anything breaking or they would have made me call a tow truck.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

sport wrote:
I guess I'd argue if you can't install a battery maybe you shouldn't be driving a car.
If you are young and strong, this might be valid. If you are elderly, or have a bad back, lifting a 30 to 40 lb. battery in and out of a car might not be possible.
Right on, sport! But elderly doesn't necessarily mean weak. And let's not forget the bit about losing radio settings etc if you aren't aware of that.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Battery experiences will vary greatly, but unless you have contrary experience with a particular model:

- You definitely want to keep power to the ecu, radio etc. It seems that some people report mixed results with the 9v power supplies so now you've got to have a second 12v battery. Or you need some combination of cables long enough to reach another car.

- You have to be prepared for battery access requiring considerable disassembly (maybe a wheel, inner fender, etc.)

Also working with batteries can be dangerous. I was about to take my car to get a replacement battery because I could tell from the cranking sound that it needed one, and when I tried to start the car, the battery exploded into tiny pieces. It was like a cannon firing - sharp pieces of the plastic case and battery acid flew everywhere. But even if that doesn't happen you have to be careful with the cables to avoid damaging the electronics, especially when you're keeping power to the system while you're changing the battery.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 am
tev9876 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am
One trick of doing your own is to use a memory saver plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet to maintain your radio presets and other computer memory while you are swapping the main battery. Last time I rigged my own with a nine volt battery and old phone charger. Just cut off the phone end, strip the wires back a bit, and tack soldered it directly to the battery. Just make sure it is plugged into an "always on" outlet and not one that switches with the ignition.
Sounds like a bit more work than what I do....I simply connect my battery charger to the car before I remove the old battery, and then remove it after the new battery is installed.

BTW I just bought a battery at Costco yesterday. It would have cost an additional $15 had I not handed them my old battery.
I don't think a charger is designed to be attached to the vehicle electronics without the battery as part of the circuit. I'm not an expert but that strikes me as having potential to severely damage the electronics. Hopefully an expert can comment.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am
Glad I checked before I went there - surprised that Costco does not install car batteries. :(
Uhhhhh..... two bolts and maybe a wingnut? I guess I'd argue if you can't install a battery maybe you shouldn't be driving a car. I put it in the same category as checking the oil and filling the gas tank, and I'm no mechanical genius. Maybe there are some batteries that aren't super easy, but I've neer owned a car with one that wasn't VERY straightforward. If you can jump a car, you can change the battery.

At any rate, if you're not comfortable with it, don't buy from Costco. As noted above, there are MANY places to buy a battery where the shop will install it and dispose of the old one.
I didn't realize that people actually took their car or truck to have a battery replaced. But then again, I have also learned on BH that people don't do their own brakes or change their own oil.... who knew?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am
Takes 10 min to install a new battery. Would you pay others $50 install fee?
In our area installs are free.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
10 minutes to install a battery sure. But how long does it take to get a ride to the store. It's not like every dead battery happens in front of someones house?

AAA my friends saves time. Time equals money.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:
10 minutes to install a battery sure. But how long does it take to get a ride to the store. It's not like every dead battery happens in front of someones house?

I agree that AAA is the answer if you find yourself with a dead battery on the side of the road. I've had scores of cars since my first in 1971, and more than half were purchased used. I probably changed the battery in a couple dozen cars. I only remember being stranded once and that was at home.

My point is simply that if you have a reasonable awareness of the condition of your car, you shouldn't find yourself with a dead battery in need of replacement. Almost always your car will show signs that a battery is ready to replace, and they occur well before it will strand you on the road. You just need to read those signs and replace proactively.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am
My point is simply that if you have a reasonable awareness of the condition of your car, you shouldn't find yourself with a dead battery in need of replacement. Almost always your car will show signs that a battery is ready to replace, and they occur well before it will strand you on the road. You just need to read those signs and replace proactively.
I don't agree with that. Several times for me the first indication a battery gave was "dead as a hammer".

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

I have a mini jump starter similar to the one at the link below that I keep in my car. I've used it to jump my own and others' vehicles. I just used it yesterday to start a guy's pickup in the Wendy's parking lot. When I was in the hospital for a few days my wife put it in her purse so she could use it to power her phone and stream YouTube TV without having to worry about being near an outlet. It works great!

I had been watching for one a few years ago after reading about them and one day noticed one at Costco for $40 (a steal) so I jumped on it (sorry for the pun). :D

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000mAh ... mp+starter
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

It is not just about money and time. for many people, it is just a hobby and fun to DIY.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am
neilpilot wrote:
I don't agree with that. Several times for me the first indication a battery gave was "dead as a hammer".
You can also replace a battery proactively, based on time, mileage, and climate. When the battery gets "old", you know it will need to be replaced before too long anyway. Besides, the cost of a battery is small compared to the cost and inconvenience of getting stuck. As a battery engineer, that is what I do.

However, we have had this discussion before, and I do not want to get into it again.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
You can also replace a battery proactively, based on time, mileage, and climate. When the battery gets "old", you know it will need to be replaced before too long anyway. Besides, the cost of a battery is small compared to the cost and inconvenience of getting stuck. As a battery engineer, that is what I do.
However, we have had this discussion before, and I do not want to get into it again.
Right - I always say I will do this "next time" - after I have been stranded.

On the other hand, at the recommendation of the shop she took "her" car to this week - had the battery replaced.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm not surprised. One of our cars is German, and to the unfamiliar, changing the battery without a service manual would not go well. One surprise is that that power steering reservoir is clipped to the battery case. (And that's just for starters. :-) )

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am
Yeah, but you'd need to be keeping track of that stuff. The majority of times that the battery has just flat out failed it's been in my garage. Which is not a bad place for that to happen. One time I was at work and got a jump, then drove to the auto parts store. That's the thing about having owned vehicles for 40 years, I've gone through a number of batteries.

I'd guess it would be difficult to use the warranty with proactive swap, although that doesn't amount to much on an older battery.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Where I live we're lucky to get 3 years out of a new battery and usually don't get that much. I've learned to shop for the best warranty. The last new one I purchased had a 3-year free replacement warranty and I got the free replacement at about 30 months (it's then pro-rated to 100 months). That happened to be at the dealer.

Although I'm perfectly capable, that's another reason I don't install the new battery myself. If they install it the re-installation is also covered by the warranty. When our batteries die it's HOT and not a pleasant environment to be doing car maintenance.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am
Glad I checked before I went there - surprised that Costco does not install car batteries. :(
Surprise - Costco isn't the only option when it comes to buying batteries

There are other, more deserving retailers out there.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 pm

sport wrote:
That's a heck of a battery. Most are 15 lbs. The spare tire weighs more than that. But you've demonstrated one reason why AAA stays in business!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 pm
sport wrote:
That's a heck of a battery. Most are 15 lbs. The spare tire weighs more than that. But you've demonstrated one reason why AAA stays in business!
You may need to re-calibrate.

The Duralast I put in my SUV last year is 54 lbs. https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 6945_25697

I then checked my riding lawnmower battery at Lowes, and it is 17 lbs.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm

That's what I get for trusting Google. Carsdirect.com says 15 lbs.

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintena ... lar-models

They say some are 6-7. But they're apparently talking about empty ones. They admit the full ones are more. So, you win, I lose.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

samtex

Post by samtex » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

mhc wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am
Good to know.

Wouldn't it be easy for most people to do it themselves?

I like interstate battery because it is near my house, it is a small shop, and they change out the battery for you. I can be in and out in less than 10 minutes.
I purchased an Interstate battery from Costco at a considerable discount, installation isn't difficult in most cases. The catch is, it's only warrantied at Costco and for 36 months - free replacement, if I remember correctly.

Samtex

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Twice I got a slight indication of slow cranking and was was headed to buy a new battery but had to make a couple of stops along the way - and didn't make it. So, not much warning at all.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm

sport wrote:
I have found that, apart from the ease of access, the battery itself can vary significantly in the ease of installation. The Hondas and Scion that I own have batteries that have plastic handles integrated for lifting them. Also, those batteries are not too heavy and the battery boxes do not require too much leaning. Our 2006 Ford Five Hundred is another matter. Not only is the battery substantially heavier, but there is no handle and it takes a whole bunch of finger strength to lift it out without a battery lifter. Also, that vehicle requires much more bending of my back to reach the battery box. Changing that battery is not something that I relish, even though I like most work on my vehicles.
indexonlyplease wrote:
I am pretty sure in my town that I could beat AAA in dealing with a battery issue. It is not a big town. If I am on the road and I can't jump start the car - with one of the modern lithium ion "cubes - then I guess I have an issue. That has never happened to me. I do not have AAA, but I have a number on the back of my insurance card that I can call. Other than that, I guess I would have to start figuring something out. I did get to take a detour through some parts of West Virginia yesterday and I can imagine that that would have been a place that would not have been easy to find a solution to such a problem.
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 pm
I know that you have already seen that this is not entirely correct. For most of my vehicles this seems very accurate, but not for our Ford sedan. I guess the heavy ones do not just have to be in large SUVs.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I say this is completely wrong. If you own a car you should have AAA. You never will know when the car will break down and you need a tow. Another good use of AAA is they offer bettery service. Your battery dies they come test the charging system and if it's the battery they will replace it. I have used them 4 times with my family cars.

Sure, it may cost a little more than going to Discount Auto Parts. But what will I do when I am stuck with no tools in the car to change the battery. And how will I get to the store if my battery is dead. Then the time it takes for someone to bring me tools. Then drive me to the store. Drive back and install the new battery. I just had one replaced last week when the car died at home. Sure I could change the batter but AAA got here in 30 min. and took care of the problem for $125.00

Also, would I expect my wife to change her batter when it died at work. It was easy for her. Call AAA. DONE

It's not 1980 anymore. Most insurance policies offer roadside services for a fraction of the cost of AAA.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

AAA batteries get bad reviews because they are of poor quality.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 am
indexonlyplease wrote:

It's not 1980 anymore. Most insurance policies offer roadside services for a fraction of the cost of AAA.
This is true and I had the insurance roadside on my car years ago. Then I broke down. Has to find a tow truck company on my phone. Then I had to pay with my credit card. Then I had to request reimbursement from State Farm. What a pain. AAA is a hundred dollars a year. I used then 4 times for batter replacement and 2 times to tow car to dealer and 1 time to change flat tire. This is on 4 family cars. Never problems and well worth the money to take care of a problem..

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 am
indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

When I am stuck in a parking lot with a dead battery I really don't car about my battery review. Just need new one. Also, there warranty is good and I have had no problems with the 4 I have replace in my cars. Also, what would my wife or someones wife do when the car battery is dead?

Way over thinking for a $100 a year.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am
This is true and I had the insurance roadside on my car years ago. Then I broke down. Has to find a tow truck company on my phone. Then I had to pay with my credit card. Then I had to request reimbursement from State Farm. What a pain. AAA is a hundred dollars a year. I used then 4 times for batter replacement and 2 times to tow car to dealer and 1 time to change flat tire. This is on 4 family cars. Never problems and well worth the money to take care of a problem..
That doesn't sound like the State Farm service these days.

https://www.statefarm.com/claims/get-ro ... assistance

It's like my insurance and many others that work like AAA. You call the number on the insurance card or use an app and they dispatch someone to your location. Unless it's outside of the policy limits, you pay nothing and make no reimbursement requests.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Twice I got a slight indication of slow cranking and was was headed to buy a new battery but had to make a couple of stops along the way - and didn't make it. So, not much warning at all.
Exactly what happened to me. AAA (with a slight delay) gave me a jump - and I was OK for a few days until I bought a new battery CARQUEST 36 month for about $160 - installed.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:57 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am
denovo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 am
indexonlyplease wrote:

Maybe your insurance company sucks. I've used it several times with two different companies and it worked just like AAA, I call them , give my location, and what I need, and they send a truck and no money changes hands.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:59 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 am
denovo wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

When I am stuck in a parking lot with a dead battery I really don't car about my battery review. Just need new one. Also, there warranty is good and I have had no problems with the 4 I have replace in my cars. Also, what would my wife or someones wife do when the car battery is dead?

I don't think calling roadside or getting jumpstarted varies by sex.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm

denovo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:59 pm
indexonlyplease wrote:
denovo wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:

A real man walks five miles up hill both ways to get a battery and return to the car and has already lost three fingers due to frost bite putting them in. A real man would also change the oil and the plugs while he is at it.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 pm

denovo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:59 pm
indexonlyplease wrote:
denovo wrote:
indexonlyplease wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:

Well - getting "jump started" for or by sex - where do I "sign up"??

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:13 pm

indexonlyplease wrote:
sport wrote:

Another AAA experience here. Just had 2 new AAA batteries put in my diesel truck. I had 2 Costco batteries in it before and they died prematurely so I was not going to do that again (dead batteries in 10 degree weather is no fun) I wanted Deka this time by east penn manufacturing and it turns out that AAA uses rebranded batteries by East Penn (100% USA made).

AAA was $5 less per battery than the local Deka dealer. They came to my house and put them in, took the cores away and I have a 3 year 100% warranty, prorateable to 6 and they will meet you roadside at no additional cost if you have a battery failure.

I have now had Costco batteries fail prematurely in 3 vehicles. You can tout price all you want but I can tell ya, when your stranded you could care less about $30 more you spent on a Deka.