iPad/iOS - feature or bug?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

iPad/iOS - feature or bug?

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:07 am

I finally decided to ditch my failing Nexus 9 and bought a 2018 iPad. I am generally happy with it but it does have one quirk I am not happy with.

When I read a web site (e.g. Bloomberg, Washington Post ..) where the home page is longer than one screen, naturally, I scroll down to the sections not shown. If I click and link to a story, no problem. When I hit the back button to go back to the home screen the page re-loads from the top. Not only am I not at the point where I first departed but the entire page is reloading images and all. This is a nuisance for me at this point - but if I were working with a metered or very slow internet connection I'd be a bit peeved.

I have been unable to find any settings that change this behavior.

Any thoughts?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

HueyLD

Re: iPad/iOS - feature or bug?

Post by HueyLD » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting. I don't have that problem with my 5th Gen. iPad.

The latest iOS version is 11.4.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 am

Might be something unique to version 6. Next time I have a chance to swing by the Apple Store I'll round up a nerd and see if he/she knows.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

Might be a setting to do with back/forward cache in Safari. You could try it in the Chrome App and see if it is different.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 am

Instead of tapping the link, tap and hold/press to open the menu. Open in new tab or add to reading list. Do that for all links of interest and then go through them at your leisure.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:13 am

I can confirm this does not occur with my previous generation iPad Pro on the sites you mention.

If you have a lot of other programs recently opened, web browsers in iOS do not handle running out of memory well since there is no 'page file' to expand to. If the device is low on memory, every page you go to will have to re-load. I'll admit I haven't typically seen this behavior in iOS in many years unless you have a very large number of tabs open. Still you might try closing all other programs or re-starting and see if the problem goes away.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am
Might be a setting to do with back/forward cache in Safari. You could try it in the Chrome App and see if it is different.
I should have mentioned that it behaves this way for both Safari and Chrome; I had this same thought when I first noticed it in Safari.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am

I could only make it happen on a different iOS device when I used private browsing. Are you using settings that are restricting the information needed to take you back to the point you were at?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 am

Katietsu wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am
I could only make it happen on a different iOS device when I used private browsing. Are you using settings that are restricting the information needed to take you back to the point you were at?
I'm using the settings that were in place when I initialized the device.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am

It might be the ads that are changing. I'd call it a bug! Will have to look more into it. I've been using Safari more than Chrome these days because of the ability to turn off all autoplay videos with better success. Hopefully they help get this nonsense out of control.

FWIW, if I turn off the Wifi when you hit the back button, it changes things (speeds things ups).

Also, I'm not noting a full refresh, but some sites have a bar and take 10 seconds to go back (2 seconds without wifi). I'm put back near the area I was, not exactly but definitely not at the top. iOS 11.2.5 here on Air 2.

It may depend on the website and how they treat the back button.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/878 ... is-clicked
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/338 ... -when-used

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am
Interesting. I don't have that problem with my 5th Gen. iPad.

The latest iOS version is 11.4.
Me either. The iPad I am using is an older iPad Pro.

Perhaps in stead of touching the link hold it down aand lift up. You will get a choice -I pick open in a new tab. The first page remains open.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

OP, does it happen on this website? Or is it only on those infinity pages where things keep loading as you scroll?

Might be related to issue discussed in message below. Might be a site specific issue that depends on web site implementation; the worst kind to fix.
Recent change in WebKit:

WebKit wrote:
The network cache should ignore "no-cache" and "must-revalidate" as
Cache-Control policy for history navigations to avoid unnecessary
revalidation in this case. Our memory cache already behaves this way.
On history navigation, our disk cache implementation currently
revalidates unconditionally resources if "cache-control: no-cache" is
used. It also revalidates expired resources if "cache-control:
must-revalidate" is used. This is sub-optimal.
RFC 7234 does not require us to do so [1]:
"""
User agents often have history mechanisms, such as "Back" buttons and
history lists, that can be used to redisplay a representation
retrieved earlier in a session.
The freshness model (Section 4.2) does not necessarily apply to
history mechanisms. That is, a history mechanism can display a
previous representation even if it has expired.
"""
Chrome and IE9+ [2] already ignore "cache-control: must-revalidate" on history navigation.
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... #p28693541
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1272101

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm
OP, does it happen on this website?
I'll check

edit: it does not do this on this site; I checked a couple other sites (e.g. Arstechnica - doesn't do it there either. Appears to be a site specific issue. Thanks for the reference.

Maybe I should check another browser like Opera.

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 pm

You might try adjusting the settings on Safari to open links in a new tab instead. Also, rather than hitting the back button, you can swipe right, starting on the bezel. This, as far as I can tell, restores the previous page without refreshing from the website.