Trip to the Steens Mountains in Oregon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
westcoast

Trip to the Steens Mountains in Oregon

Post by westcoast » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm

We are planning a trip to the Steens Mountains in the beginning of July and wondering if anyone on the forum has been there before. Looking for ideas on places to stay with moderate prices and the availability of gas as it looks pretty sparse on a map. thank you for any insight.

Rcf

Re: Trip to the Steens Mountains in Oregon

Post by Rcf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I would suggest staying at the Frenchglen Hotel. It is the nearest hotel, reasonably priced, and historic. I think gas is avaiable nearby.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Small correction. It is one mountain, so Steens Mountain :)

We have been there and want to go back. Lovely "empty" space. We came from the west on Hwy 20 and stayed overnight in Burns (has a bunch of motels) and then drove around the backside of the mountain (Fields-Denio Rd according to Google Maps), getting some gas at the General Store in Fields. Tiny place, also has a restaurant, but make sure you look at the operating hours for the store... gas probably not available after hours.

We spent the second night in Lakeview, OR, and then also explored the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge.

I have heard good things about the Frenchglen hotel mentioned by a previous poster and might check that out on our next trip (needed as we didn't drive to the top of the mountain).

westcoast

Post by westcoast » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, we very much looking forward to the trip. Probably stay in Burns and take the trip around to Fields and up to Frenchglen. The Travel Oregon site was a great help, thanks.

Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Fantastic area, but do not underestimate how remote it is. Lodging/food/fuel options are extremely few and far between. The Frenchglen Hotel is the primary lodging option, and you should plan to do the big family style dining there. Go to Fields Station for milkshakes. Drive to the top of Steens from the west, but also go around to the Alvord Desert, and do a hike up a trail on the east side of the mountain.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 pm

westcoast wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:42 pm
Thank you for the suggestions, we very much looking forward to the trip. Probably stay in Burns and take the trip around to Fields and up to Frenchglen. The Travel Oregon site was a great help, thanks.
Amazing what Google can come up with. I love Oregon, but wasn't familiar with Steen Mountain till now. That and TripAdvisor play big roles in my travel planning. Currently planning Colorado in early July - hope the fires don't interfere. Already have plane tickets, may have to do last minutes revisions.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Oreamnos wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Fantastic area, but do not underestimate how remote it is.
Trips like these are why I have AAA Plus with 100 mile towing. Not that I have needed it so far, but...

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm
Oreamnos wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Fantastic area, but do not underestimate how remote it is.
Trips like these are why I have AAA Plus with 100 mile towing. Not that I have needed it so far, but...
You might want the unlimited plan out there. :happy

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:16 am

MP123 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 pm

You might want the unlimited plan out there. :happy
Heh, I’ve been looking into getting a sat phone ;)