gray hair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
trueson1

Re: gray hair

Post by trueson1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:20 pm

An answer for either balding or going gray - to keep you feeling young either way ( didn't mean to be poetic).

If you are balding, Say - "If you want to use your testosterone for growing hair go ahead, I'll use mine for something better".

If you are going gray but not balding, Say - I don't care if it turns, as long as it doesn't turn loose."

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm
I would start with considering a change in hairstyles. Men can often put off the aging effect of the grey hair by 5 or 6 years by a change in hairstyle.

If you buy solid good quality color, most people can DIY. I would consider starting with a shade lighter than your natural color.

I am surprised by the responses here that talk about this being a vanity thing or an outer driven thing etc. In many jobs, it is also a financial thing. I know quite a few teachers who feel strongly that coloring their hair makes their job a lot easier (controlling teenagers who see age as weakness). And there are many industries where looking older can have a detrimental effect on your career. On the other hand, in my twenties, I had a friend who was an audiologist who went prematurely grey. He said it worked well because his predominately older patients quit asking him if he was old enough to be doing the job.
I agree. For some, the social penalties can be detrimental to career (youthfulness is prized in tech), etc., and I suspect it's often harder for women than men, as we're apparently supposed to look 25 forever (but many women dye their hair anyway.)

For others, not as much. In any case, changing hairstyles might be a good start, especially if one is also experiencing thinning hair.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:27 pm

Cut it short and own your look. Instead spend the extra time and money on more visits to the gym. Fake hair color on a man to hide gray is almost always pretty obvious and usually pretty tacky looking. Result most often is folks laughing at your silly attempt at vanity. It also speaks volumes on that individual's priorities and their sense of self worth.

Also see - hair plugs, toupee, and the dreaded comb-over for all the same reasons.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm in my mid-60s, have had a full head of gray hair for about 20 years, and am proud of it.

As I frequently tell my bald(ing) friends, "I'd rather have gray hair than no hair!"
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 pm

My wife was "completely" gray by her late 20's; but if one looks close - even 40 years later - one can see individual hairs that are her original (natural) color. She has continued to look awesome by not trying to cover up an aspect that makes her who she is. Sorry, but toupees, wigs, comb-overs, dyed or transplanted hair look fake to anyone who expresses themselves truthfully. Same with cosmetic surgery. Don't do it.

If you are making up for some disfiguring birth defect that's different.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Started going gray at 21, now almost 37 and probably 90% gray.

Sure, people comment on it, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just gray hair.

People care too much what other people think all the while other people are just as self conscious if not more than them.
Last edited by jehovasfitness on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Embrace the grey. 75% grey at 47.

#2 clipper, right/left ear taper on clipper, every 2-3 weeks. $0

I work with a guy who is probably 50 and had curly, dark brown hair. He dyes it and it ends up darker than his natural hair. You can tell it is dyed from 75 feet away. Embrace the grey.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm a guy...don't care what my hair looks like. My wife cuts my hair, that's it.

exoilman

Post by exoilman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Does gray include silver? :?

Sam

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 pm

The hair on my head is salt and pepper and I kinda like it. When I was in my fifties, my moustache was turning gray and I think it got in the way of my getting a job. So I started using a temporary color for it called Tween Time, still are using it. PS I got good job offers after coloring :wink:
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:00 pm

My husband has been grey on the sides (think Paulie Walnuts from Sopranos) ever since his 20's and now at 42 he is mostly grey with a grey beard. It looks nice on him. I'm 41 and female and have had a few grey hairs for years now, I kind of hope it turns into a nice white/silver color as I think that looks really classy. My brothers slowly went salt & pepper in their 40's so I assume I am going to do the same. I do not plan to dye my hair, I don't even wear makeup. I work in IT and the monitors I stare at for 8+ hours a day don't seem to care so far.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Don't care about gray hair or balding. Don't have them either, yet. So... hard to say. But I drive a beater car and holes with shirts on the weekends. Likely won't care.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Men look nice when they go gray. It’s considered charming by many. No need to bother with dye.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Gray doesn't bother me. But losing it, yeah, I do treat that. That's my own personal war on aging. :twisted:
Last edited by ClevrChico on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm surprised.
63 posts on "gray hair".
Allocation: 5/55/40 :shock:
black, gray, white
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

It's a sign of wisdom. Roll the way you were created and just go with it. I've been slowly graying for the last 10 years and I'm 36. I figure by the time I'm in my mid 40s it'll really show.
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm
PVW wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 pm
atlanta_dad wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm
wife and kids are stressing to color, I am thinking of going for it.
If you give in to this, next thing is they'll be forcing you to trim your ear hair. Where does it end?
Nose hair then back hair then toe hair. I think it ends with toe hair.
No, it ends when they want you to shave your back.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm female and have been dying mine for a long time. If you have short hair with a definite part, be forewarned that you will need to dye it very often or it will be quite obvious that you are dying it.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I took a course called "The Strategy of Career Transition" when I'd been in the Navy for about 20 years. It was to make military folks smart about what they needed to do to successfully find a private sector job. One point the instructor made was that we were all at the age when we were sprouting grey hair and that when job hunting grey=old. He advised us to go the hair colors route so we'd project an image of youthful vitality vs. old retired military guy. This was a longtime time ago but I know that ageism is even more prevalent these days. Don't know if a job change may be in the OP's future; I just pass this on FWIW.

BTW, I didn't take the advice and did fine.
Friar1610

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 pm

"Gray Fox" I've been called :) so no, I can't change.
We moved into a family neighborhood 20 years ago - got to know all our neighbors and very few left. I asked my wife why all the men seem to be going gray while all the women seem not to? I guess men turn gray earlier :)

Nthomas

Post by Nthomas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I’ve been told some young people are dying their hair grey. So I guess our time has come. I’ve been asked by barbers if I dye it this color...I was very confused until I found out it’s a trend now.

Quest80

Post by Quest80 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I think some of you are over analyzing this. If it makes your feel better about yourself and people who you care about like it, then do it. There's no deep meaning to it. And there are products that work very well and don't give the old "dyed hair" look that some of you are talking about. Control GX For Men is a shampoo that is DIY and works very well. You can get it at Walgreens or CVS.

Quest80

Post by Quest80 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm
Rupert wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm
I doubt your claims that no one seems to notice it. I bet they do, and they talk about it behind your back. No one is ever going to tell you it looks bad to your face (except maybe your wife or kids).
If my box dyed hair looked bad or unnatural, my wife would tell me and make me go to a salon. She has not done that yet, so I will keep using the Just For Men boxes.
Exactly. There are lots of guys out there who get rid of their gray and nobody knows it. In my case, my wife would be the first to let me know if it looked fake or bad.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm
..... smart about what they needed to do to successfully find a private sector job. One point the instructor made was that we were all at the age when we were sprouting grey hair and that when job hunting grey=old......
Exactly the point. This is not all about vanity.
With the progress that has been made in age-discrimination laws (employer cannot ask for your d.o.b. on application or while interviewing except in certain very narrow circumstances) why would anyone want to deliberately handicap their chances of landing a job by appearing older?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:46 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:04 pm
Coloring products of the 70s and 80s had heavy metal compounds in them like lead (Pb), so watch out what you do -- if you do anything.
Do you have any recommendations for the coloring products of 2018?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Quest80

Post by Quest80 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:46 pm
livesoft wrote:
Coloring products of the 70s and 80s had heavy metal compounds in them like lead (Pb), so watch out what you do -- if you do anything.

Victoria
Control GX by Just for Men works great.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Quest80 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Victoria
Control GX by Just for Men works great.
Just for Men? I feel excluded.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Maybe a bit off-topic but today a friend was telling me what happened when she went for an MRI last month.
Even tho she had removed all jewelry, didn't have dental work, wasn't wearing nail polish, no plates inserted from surgery, etc etc - the tech kept delaying the start because her screen was detecting metal somewhere on my friend.
They finally tracked it down to the brand of hair spray my friend used (she bought at the salon) had left some sort of deposits on her hair that the MRI machine was picking up as "metal".
So, they had to vigorously brush her hair before the MRI test could begin.
:shock:

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Ron wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 pm
I earned my grey/white hair by a lifetime of experiences (I'm 70 :mrgreen: ); I'm not giving up a current look that took me a lifetime to achieve :beer ...

- Ron
same, but 82 YO.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 pm
"Gray Fox" I've been called :) so no, I can't change.
We moved into a family neighborhood 20 years ago - got to know all our neighbors and very few left. I asked my wife why all the men seem to be going gray while all the women seem not to? I guess men turn gray earlier :)
Logical, but: DW's hair "didn't know she turned 50" ; quite a bit later there is still only a hint of grey. We have time and money by (neither of us) hiding our years of experience.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Maybe a bit off-topic but today a friend was telling me what happened when she went for an MRI last month.
Even tho she had removed all jewelry, didn't have dental work, wasn't wearing nail polish, no plates inserted from surgery, etc etc - the tech kept delaying the start because her screen was detecting metal somewhere on my friend.
They finally tracked it down to the brand of hair spray my friend used (she bought at the salon) had left some sort of deposits on her hair that the MRI machine was picking up as "metal".
So, they had to vigorously brush her hair before the MRI test could begin.
:shock:
This is scary! I want to start coloring my hair but don't want to jeopardize my health. Right now I am thinking of trying natural coloring, e.g., https://www.annmariegianni.com/7-ways-t ... naturally/ . And I am curious if livesoft has any recommendations.

Victoria

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Victoria
Read the labels very carefully. I do not buy these products, but my dad had something years ago and when I read the ingredients I was totally appalled at how they would be considered hazardous waste nowadays and would not be allowed to be washed down a sink.

See, e.g., https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... s-hair-dye
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Victoria
Read the labels very carefully. I do not buy these products, but my dad had something years ago and when I read the ingredients I was totally appalled at how they would be considered hazardous waste nowadays and would not be allowed to be washed down a sink.
Thank you. From my preliminary research, it appears that purchased hair coloring products trade off harmful components for longevity: the longer you want the color to last the more chemical exposure it requires. With hair salons it seems worse: they use strong ingredients to give you the exact color you want.

Victoria

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 pm

I ran into an old friend from college when we were about 55. He mentioned that not only did he color his hair, he made his wife color her fair too. He believes this combats ageism and thinks he has been treated better at work since he started coloring his hair.

I don't color my hair, and have never done so. If I decided to interview for another job, though, I'd probably go to a salon and color my hair first. Then when I got the job, I'd go 'back to my roots'. :wink: :wink:
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 pm

But if you don’t like the look of gray and aren’t old enough that you definitely should be gray, I don’t think dying it is a big deal.

The hassle of doing it would probably be the greatest deterrent for me.

But since I learned that people just assume I dye my hair, I guess I should think about adding some gray highlights!

JT

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 pm

I found two Youtube videos of a guy coloring his friend's hair. Unprofessional but hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGYlf2LM6g - Part 1, using potato skins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YqCYwM3FV8 - Part 2, using coffee and beets

Victoria

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Late thirties and early 40s has been a period of awakening for me - developing my inner self and instilling self confidence. I dont need external input nor do worry about my look and feel in other people's eyes now. I dyed for a few years and am relieved in not wasting my efforts in doing it anymore - prepared to age naturally and it is working extremely well.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Folks,

Due to the family gene, males in my family have gray hair from an early age. My son has some gray hairs since 4 years old.

KlangFool

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 pm

I started getting gray hair, well a strand here and a strand there, at 13. By college I was able to get in clubs without being carded. One particular fraternity brother really rode me about it and I would tell him that when he turned 30 that he would have to part his hair with a marks a lot. Fast forward 10 years when he turned 30 he received a brown marks a lot in the mail. His wife later told me that he muttered my name along with a few other words. 30+ years later my hair is now white and his is flesh colored.

Ahhhh, revenge is sweet!

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 pm

I embrace it.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 pm

A bunch of old farts here! I have zero gray hair.

mespap

Post by mespap » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 am

This past year, I have more gray hairs on top of my head. It used to be mostly on the sides. I never gave it a thought. It doesn't bother me at all.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 pm
Several women we know (in their 60s and 70s) who had dyed their hair for years, recently transitioned to the natural all gray.
Yes, this is a big win. My hair is in much better condition and so much less work since I did this. People who dye their hair are not really fooling anybody. I don't know what I was thinking all those years. It's like wearing a toupee. There's a lot to be said for being who you are.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:25 am

I can’t imagine coloring my hair (Well, I once visualized it, but quickly dismissed the thought). I’m mid-60s with whit patches around sideburns.

In my area, women of all ages seem to color or highlight their hair. According to my wife, probably 95% of women > 20 years old. My wife is a few years older than me, but has boundless energy. Her hair stylist has given her a trademark look with color and highlights that reflect her energy. Of course, this comes at a price, which runs about $275 a month.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:57 am

Turning gray since 16 and was completely gray by 35. Never wanted to dye it and glad I am not bald!

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 am

If you decide to dye it, consider finding a place that uses redken color camo products. Looks very natural from my experience.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 am

Cruise wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:25 am
In my area, women of all ages seem to color or highlight their hair. According to my wife, probably 95% of women > 20 years old.
I doubt that, based on my friends and coworkers. Gray doesn't normally start showing up that early. I looked for statistics, and all I could find was a survey run by Clairol, that not disinterested party.

[Response to OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 am

[Reponse to OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Regarding dying one's hair, maybe only dye it if it makes you happy, not for other people.

Didymograptus

Post by Didymograptus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:28 am

I'm 58 and have been going grey all through my fifties - about 50% grey now.

I really don't care much about it - and anyway my wife says it makes me look extinguished!
The best things in life aren't things

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:36 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm
livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Victoria
Thank you. From my preliminary research, it appears that purchased hair coloring products trade off harmful components for longevity: the longer you want the color to last the more chemical exposure it requires. With hair salons it seems worse: they use strong ingredients to give you the exact color you want.

Victoria
Pregnant women are often told to avoid coloring their hair while pregnant. That tells you something.