Carpet Installers- Tipping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kywildcat

Carpet Installers- Tipping?

Post by Kywildcat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 am

I am having carpet installed through a Lowes (free installation promo). Is there an expectation to tip the installers. I'm a relatively new homeowner and don't have much experience dealing with contractors. Thanks in advance.

dbr

Re: Carpet Installers- Tipping?

Post by dbr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am

I have a tendency to tip roofers, installers, etc., meaning the actual guys that do the work. I guess $20 a person at the end of the day for work that takes all day or a couple of days. It it is a one hour job probably not. My experience is that it has always seemed to be genuinely appreciated. I don't know if it is expected or not. I sometimes tip appliance installers as well, depending on how much grief there is wrestling things into place and my perception of how hard they work to get everything right.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am

I buy lunch for work crews, everyone on the job site. If it's not practical, I give the Foreman some money to hand out to the crews for lunch. Also, provide water, etc, when they are working if I can.
And, thank and praise everyone for good work as much as I can.
Coming from the trades, I know how appreciated these gestures can be.
FWIW, I often get a better finished job for it.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 am

I have never tipped contractors of this sort - for example painters, appliance installers, etc. Not for a standard job.

I would make an exception say for a mover if they managed to maneuver a big piece of furniture through an awkward corridor or up the stairs without dinging the walls. I don't think that is fully baked into their hourly rate or per job fee. Do you have any really heavy furniture that they would need to move to install the carpet?
Last edited by cherijoh on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 am

I usually tip 5/10/20 per person for the guys who show up to do the work. It depends on how dirty/complicated it is and how long it takes.

But, I like the idea of buying lunch more. I think I'll try that next time.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am

If it's once and done job, handled with care (moving furniture, demo, clean up etc) involving 2 guys, I give them a $20 and say Beers on me.
If it's a bigger project, I give $20 to everyone who is not the boss.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am

I only tips installers, etc if they do something that is clearly above and beyond. Otherwise, no.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am

I tip everyone that comes into my home to do work - including the cable guy. If I can afford a nice home in an expensive neighborhood I can afford $100 to $200 a year in tips on the rare occasions I have stuff done. I also buy lunch if it is an all day thing.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 am

For all you tippers. Why not tip them before the job starts. That way they will feel more like doing a good job, or better job. Make that money work for you.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:34 am

I was going to say that this sort of tipping has gotten out of hand but then I realize that I do it myself. :oops: It's usually just one person and $20 "for lunch". However, I have never tipped utility company employees who install cable or television and certainly not the mailman. It's only people who do repairs or similar in my apartment and some of them work for the building so they often won't take any money at the time, so I give it that December instead.

That said, I don't think there is a clear expectation for a cash tip in these situations.
Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 am
For all you tippers. Why not tip them before the job starts. That way they will feel more like doing a good job, or better job. Make that money work for you.
Someone who is going to do a good job is going to do a good job, anyway. Those who are not going to do a good job don't deserve anything extra, especially not up front.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am

Yankuba wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am
I tip everyone that comes into my home to do work - including the cable guy. If I can afford a nice home in an expensive neighborhood I can afford $100 to $200 a year in tips on the rare occasions I have stuff done. I also buy lunch if it is an all day thing.
When I worked for a telecom company, I would never have accepted tips. That would be a reportable concern if I did. Our union had strong warnings against doing so.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 am

No. Besides, you will find out a few years that they didn’t do a very good job. Save that money and put it toward restretching the carpet when it loosens up.

JT

feh

Post by feh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Nope.

Perhaps such tipping is more common in large cities or on the coasts? AFAIK, not something that happens here in the Midwest.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Kywildcat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 am
I am having carpet installed through a Lowes (free installation promo). Is there an expectation to tip the installers. I'm a relatively new homeowner and don't have much experience dealing with contractors. Thanks in advance.
When I was younger, no. Now, yes.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

AAA

Post by AAA » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:28 pm

This type of question has been asked before and, as expected, there are a range of responses from no, it's their job and they are already getting paid, to yes, they did a good job, were courteous and probably don't make a lot of money so why not make their day a little brighter.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am
If it's once and done job, handled with care (moving furniture, demo, clean up etc) involving 2 guys, I give them a $20 and say Beers on me.
If it's a bigger project, I give $20 to everyone who is not the boss.
Ditto

Topic Author
Kywildcat

Post by Kywildcat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm

OP here. I ended up giving the two guys that were here $20. It was a small job and they were only here for 2 hours but they did a good job and took care not to disrupt tiles that were possibly asbestos underneath the old carpet. The tiles were completely in-tact (I checked), but they used glue instead of staples for the padding to not risk cracking the tiles.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I usually give a small tip to the workers directly if it's an appliance/furniture delivery. Skilled trades like plumbers, electricians, etc I usually don't tip. When I had our mud room remodeled over the course of two weeks, I had fresh fruit, snacks, water, and a nice clean restroom for the laborers daily and gave them a large tip at the end. I didn't tip the general contractor though.

When I was a young intern at a tiny company the owner gave me $200 as a surprise Christmas bonus. That was an enormous sum for me at the time and I never forgot that warm feeling at the unexpected generosity, so I try to do the same for people who work for me.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

exoilman

Post by exoilman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am
I buy lunch for work crews, everyone on the job site. If it's not practical, I give the Foreman some money to hand out to the crews for lunch. Also, provide water, etc, when they are working if I can.
And, thank and praise everyone for good work as much as I can.
Coming from the trades, I know how appreciated these gestures can be.
FWIW, I often get a better finished job for it.
j
+1

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 am

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am
Yankuba wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am
When I worked for a telecom company, I would never have accepted tips. That would be a reportable concern if I did. Our union had strong warnings against doing so.
I don't think the mail carriers are allowed to accept tips but ours always did, lol. She used to give us extra Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons and she would make holiday goodie bags for all the children that lived in our building.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 am

If work taking > 2 hrs, or very strenuous, I usually give $10-20 per person (towards lunch). Coincidentally, I had all-day repair work done on our swimming pool this week, and, for the first time ever, they DECLINED my offer, saying "No Thanks, we're good!" They even declined cold drinks, saying they had a cooler on the truck. I did leave them a fantastic online review.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

bac

Post by bac » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:15 pm

I tipped a Roto-Rooter guy $30 when he came to clean out a backed-up sewer line. He went above and beyond, summoning township sewer workers to alert them to problems that were township responsibility and giving them flash drives showing what the hang-up was.

RE: mail carriers. In a couple of cases where the carrier has been on the route long enough to get to know him, I've given non-cash gifts at the holidays (i.e., a couple of bags of Starbucks coffee). I view a monetary gift to a government employee as problematic.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Seth Godin just did a podcast on tipping. It gave me pause to think about when, how, and if tipping should happen. Perhaps it's something that will help you make the decision next time:

https://www.akimbo.me/blog/s2-e3-tips-gifts