Road trip Pennsylvania,Maryland,and DC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
c.coyle

Re: Road trip Pennsylvania,Maryland,and DC

Post by c.coyle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

I made some uncomplimentary remarks up-thread about Lancaster County and "Pennsylvania Dutch Country" and, since I busted on someone else for making unsubstantiated cracks about Philadelphia, I think I should practice what I preach and be more specific. Lancaster County has seen lots of development over the past 30 years, with some questionable planning, and it is no longer pastoral, idyllic, or rural except in the southern tier of the county. Traffic on main routes such as 72, 30, 23, 501, and 897 often crawls.

The touristy part of Dutch Country centers around a romanticized stereotype of the Amish and, to a lesser extent, another plain sect known as the Mennonites. These are good hardworking folks, but they avoid publicity and contact with the outside world. They are pacifists, but not childlike and naive, as tourists seem to expect. You are unlikely to meet or have any sustained interaction with them except maybe at a family-run roadside produce stand. You may pass Amish buggies on the road. You may pass their farms, which are pretty much like other farms except the Amish don't use motor vehicles or electricity. The Mennonites do drive cars, but they must be painted completely black, thus Mennonites are often referred to as "Black Bumpers."

The tourist industry in "Dutch Country" is centered on the Route 30 corridor and a few sterilized and cutesy towns like Intercourse (Where you can buy T-shirts making puns on the town's name). This is where you will find tacky things like Dutch Wonderland amusement park, and the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater, neither of which have much to do with Amish or Mennonites. You'll likely see billboards and signs with cartoonish renderings of "genuine Amish people" in bonnets and straw hats, usually named "Jakie Stoltzfus" or "Sara Peachy." Think Amos & Andy, only Amish. The stores will have butterchurns and washboards out front. The restaurants will have old buggies out front, so you know they are "genuine Pennsylvania Dutch."

I've worked with Amish and Mennonites, they've been my customers and vice versa, and I admire and respect their way of living, so I guess I find the stereotypes rather demeaning.

But if you like kitsch, by all means check out Pennsylvania Dutch Country.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:19 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm
I made some uncomplimentary remarks up-thread about Lancaster County and "Pennsylvania Dutch Country" and, since I busted on someone else for making unsubstantiated cracks about Philadelphia, I think I should practice what I preach and be more specific. Lancaster County has seen lots of development over the past 30 years, with some questionable planning, and it is no longer pastoral, idyllic, or rural except in the southern tier of the county. Traffic on main routes such as 72, 30, 23, 501, and 897 often crawls.

The touristy part of Dutch Country centers around a romanticized stereotype of the Amish and, to a lesser extent, another plain sect known as the Mennonites. These are good hardworking folks, but they avoid publicity and contact with the outside world. They are pacifists, but not childlike and naive, as tourists seem to expect. You are unlikely to meet or have any sustained interaction with them except maybe at a family-run roadside produce stand. You may pass Amish buggies on the road. You may pass their farms, which are pretty much like other farms except the Amish don't use motor vehicles or electricity. The Mennonites do drive cars, but they must be painted completely black, thus Mennonites are often referred to as "Black Bumpers."

The tourist industry in "Dutch Country" is centered on the Route 30 corridor and a few sterilized and cutesy towns like Intercourse (Where you can buy T-shirts making puns on the town's name). This is where you will find tacky things like Dutch Wonderland amusement park, and the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater, neither of which have much to do with Amish or Mennonites. You'll likely see billboards and signs with cartoonish renderings of "genuine Amish people" in bonnets and straw hats, usually named "Jakie Stoltzfus" or "Sara Peachy." Think Amos & Andy, only Amish. The stores will have butterchurns and washboards out front. The restaurants will have old buggies out front, so you know they are "genuine Pennsylvania Dutch."

I've worked with Amish and Mennonites, they've been my customers and vice versa, and I admire and respect their way of living, so I guess I find the stereotypes rather demeaning.

I could not agree more with everything you wrote. That Rt. 30 strip is a tourist trap. You'd never see a local there. The beauty is getting off that road to see the real life. Beautiful people & country. I was born & raised NW Lancaster County. I agree too it is demeaning. My grandfather was German (PA Dutch) & a Mennonite. He farmed most of his life. Work hard, eat good should be our our family crest.
Too soon old, too late smart.

captpete

Post by captpete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Make certain to check out Annapolis! Described as a "quaint little drinking town with a sailing problem".

You can tour the Naval Academy and take a tour on one of the numerous sight seeing cruises. If you'd like a good steak Lewnes Steakhouse in The Maritime Republic of Eastport is a must, best steaks I've ever had. They're pricey though, but worth it. Chick N' Ruth's is more affordable and an Annapolis icon, get a milkshake and a crabcake!

Enjoy

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 am
. . . I live in northeast PA...trust me. Philly is a wreck... . . .
.... I spent 12 years in DC where they have anything and everything.
DC is so great that you now live in Pennsylvania which you dislike instead? Makes sense.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm
drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:18 pm
Be very careful if you venture into the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore. If you want to see the national aquarium, do so only in daylight and stay within crowds. Be gone by dark.
Crime is terrible in that area, tourists are targeted, there have been stabbing deaths. Due to the political mess, the police dept is in constant turmoil, so they can't get a handle on it.
This concern feels exaggerated to me.

At least, I’ve walked around the inner harbor many time at night, both alone and with my family, and have never felt uncomfortable or in danger.

And I haven’t been stabbed to death even once. :happy

Andy.
The Baltimore inner harbor walkway itself is fairly well patrolled at night. Just don't go more than a block away after sunset unless you know exactly what you are doing and have local guidance. Seriously.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:14 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 am
Theres not much in PA...I wouldnt even put it on the list. I live in northeast PA...trust me. Philly is a wreck...pittsburgh is decent but too far away from DC...again, not much to see in pitt. Amish country is lame imo.

You'll just want to focus almost all of your attention on DC. We used to live there for 12 years. Stay in Arlington/rosslyn area a night or two. You can walk over to georgetown, theres roosevelt island, national cemetary. That will consume a day. Hit up all the museums and monuments on the mall for a day or two. If you like aircraft stuff drive out to dulles VA. Massive museum by the airport that people forget about. Its 10x better than the air and space on the mall. They have a space shuttle in there, sr-71, the enola gay, etc etc. Its huge. While you're out there you can hit up wine country in leesburg...its nice. Hit up outlets out there if you need some down time.

As far as maryland goes...you could hit up great falls and ride bikes. Harpers ferry in WV is nice...hike up to the overlook...its cool.
Philadelphia has some historic sites, a couple of great museums. Liberty bell? Independence hall, Betsy Ross house. And more. Is there aJohn Adams house there?

It may not be everyon’s cup of tea, but there would be quite a bit for me to see.

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am
dougger5 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 pm
And if you do venture further south into DE...there's the Dogfish Head Brewery down in Milton. Free hour-long tour of the operation, which includes a flight...if you're into beer.
:sharebeer
The Dogfish Head Brewery tour costs $10 but you get a nice glass. It is interesting.
I believe there are two tiers of tours (yay alliteration!). The paid version is a bit longer and more "behind the scenes."

We were there a few weeks ago and didn't pay a dime. For the flight and the tour, anyway. We did release some funds in the gift shop :mrgreen:
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm

dougger5 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am
dougger5 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 pm
And if you do venture further south into DE...there's the Dogfish Head Brewery down in Milton. Free hour-long tour of the operation, which includes a flight...if you're into beer.
:sharebeer
The Dogfish Head Brewery tour costs $10 but you get a nice glass. It is interesting.
I believe there are two tiers of tours (yay alliteration!). The paid version is a bit longer and more "behind the scenes."

We were there a few weeks ago and didn't pay a dime. For the flight and the tour, anyway. We did release some funds in the gift shop :mrgreen:
Good to know. Now I'll have to take both and compare.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Ok.Thanks for all of the great info to digest and sort.Based upon what I have learned here.......
We are flying into Philly for sure.
Since we get in late we will stay 2 or 3 nights.That leaves us 3 or 4 days until we drive into DC and return rental car.We are staying in DC 5 nights without a car.

So in those 3 or 4 days we would like to see Harpers Ferry,Gettysburg,Baltimore/Maryland,area and if possible a quick stop anywhere in Delaware to cross it off our list.Delaware is not that important if it is a hassle.I guess the Amish country can also be eliminated.

Trying to figure out the most efficient route, use of time and anything else I might be missing.I guess we wil not rent a car until leaving Philly.Thanks again.

Note...we do not dwell too long and usually take pictures and move on pretty quickly.A lot of people would understandably spend a lot of time at places that we would not.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 pm
.....We are flying into Philly for sure.
we will stay 2 or 3 nights.That leaves us 3 or 4 days until we drive into DC and return rental car.....So in those 3 or 4 days we would like to see Harpers Ferry,Gettysburg,Baltimore/Maryland,area and if possible a quick stop anywhere in Delaware to cross it off our list.Delaware is not that important if it is a hassle.....
No hassle at all! If you are driving direct from Philly to D.C. you will take I-95 and pass thru the state of Delaware.
HIp, hip hooray.
If you want to save some $$$ and take the scenic route - watch for the signs on 95 saying "Newark next 3 exits". Then get off at the last exit before I-95 becomes the "JFK Toll Road".
:shock:
(Didn't Ike promise us a nationwide network of Free interstate highways...... :oops:

btw, the Newark in Delaware is not pronounced like the NJ one "Noooerk". In DE it is "New Ark".

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 pm
hoops777 wrote:
we will stay 2 or 3 nights.That leaves us 3 or 4 days until we drive into DC and return rental car.....So in those 3 or 4 days we would like to see Harpers Ferry,Gettysburg,Baltimore/Maryland,area and if possible a quick stop anywhere in Delaware to cross it off our list.Delaware is not that important if it is a hassle.....
No hassle at all! If you are driving direct from Philly to D.C. you will take I-95 and pass thru the state of Delaware.
HIp, hip hooray.
If you want to save some $$$ and take the scenic route - watch for the signs on 95 saying "Newark next 3 exits". Then get off at the last exit before I-95 becomes the "JFK Toll Road".
(Didn't Ike promise us a nationwide network of Free interstate highways...... :oops:

btw, the Newark in Delaware is not pronounced like the NJ one "Noooerk". In DE it is "New Ark".
So in what order should we see Harpers Ferry,Gettysburg and Baltimore area before heading to DC?

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Oooops, read too fast, thought you were going direct from Philly to Washington.
No suggestions there :confused

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 pm

shunkman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm
You may also want to consider flying into Harrisburg, PA (MDT). MDT is a very low stress airport compared to PHL, IAD, or BWI. Not to mention fewer delays. HIA (MDT) is now served by Delta, United, and American, but yes, flight choices are limited. Frontier is starting service in July.

http://www.flyhia.com/
Plus you can see Three Mile Island
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Harrisburg-A ... ng-Station
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

craimund

Post by craimund » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 am

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 pm
drawpoker wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
HIp, hip hooray.

So in what order should we see Harpers Ferry,Gettysburg and Baltimore area before heading to DC?
Philly, Baltimore, Harpers Ferry - mainly interstate so fast but uninteresting. Gettysburg would be off the beaten path if you went this route. Could go Philly to Gettysburg to Harpers Ferry to Baltimore to Annapolis (recommended) then to DC. Would see more countryside (Gettysburg to Harpers Ferry drive would be quite scenic) if you went in this order. Could also see Amish country on drive to Gettysburg.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 am

craimund wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 am
hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 pm
drawpoker wrote:
hoops777 wrote:
HIp, hip hooray.

Philly, Baltimore, Harpers Ferry - mainly interstate so fast but uninteresting. Gettysburg would be off the beaten path if you went this route. Could go Philly to Gettysburg to Harpers Ferry to Baltimore to Annapolis (recommended) then to DC. Would see more countryside (Gettysburg to Harpers Ferry drive would be quite scenic) if you went in this order. Could also see Amish country on drive to Gettysburg.
Thank you.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 pm

If you're coming to Lancaster PA you should realize that in addition to the county (as in Lancaster County), there's also Lancaster City. While it may be small relative to other major metropolitan areas, it's navigable, walkable, very diverse and has historical significance (it was the U.S. capital for one day!). Lancaster was part of the Underground Railroad and Thadeus Stevens hails from Lancaster and the cemetary where his grave is located is only a few blocks from the downtown.

If you're a foodie, you should consider taking a tour that launched last year and has gotten excellent reviews. The tour is called Lancaster County Food Tours. A personal guide walks you through parts of the city and gives you a historical walking tour (3 hours) while you make stops at several establishments and receive portions of samples of food and drinks (they are more generous than you'd expect). The tour for foodies is the Chef's Table. The chefs prepare special samples and explain how they decide to pair different foods/drinks, etc. Lancaster County Food Tours also offer a tour called Market and Beyond which makes stops at several food places where you get samples of items like whoopie pie, Foltz's pretzels, olive oil/vinegar tastings, etc. There's also a new tour that started this year called Pub and Grub. The website and trip advisor reviews are below (they were featured on the news a couple times, I believe clips are viewable from the webiste or possibly their facebook page which you can access through their website). They also offer tours in Lititz which is a half hour or so north of Lancaster City:

https://www.lancofoodtours.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... vania.html

Lancaster city also has an antique row, a gallery row (many local artists) and many dining establishments of varying price, quality and ethnicity. We have a vegetarian vietnamese restaurant (Sprout), a good indian restaurant (Himalayan grill) which serves some goat dishes in addition to chicken, lamb, veg. We have an excellent french bistro and bakery (Barbaret) run by a nice couple of the same name from France and so on.

Lancaster has a small art museum on the east side of the city (lancaster museum of art) and displays at the art college downtown. Charles Demuth's museum is also downtown.

You can PM me if you want any more info. Have a great trip!
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm

There are lots of small pockets of Amish communities in PA. I live in Punxsutawney and we have Amish buggies passing through all the time. 1-1/2 hours northeast of Pittsburgh. This isn’t the Amish Country you’re dreaming of though - if you want tourism go to Lancaster.

canderson

Post by canderson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm

I’m very late to this thread but am a Harrisburg resident.

Go to Lititz. Combine it with a drive through Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Nickle Mine. Hit up Lancaster Central Market (oldest in the country) first.

If you love Capitol buildings, come to Harrisburg. It’s the prettiest in this country. I work there and every day am inspired by it.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 pm
If you're coming to Lancaster PA you should realize that in addition to the county (as in Lancaster County), there's also Lancaster City. While it may be small relative to other major metropolitan areas, it's navigable, walkable, very diverse and has historical significance (it was the U.S. capital for one day!). Lancaster was part of the Underground Railroad and Thadeus Stevens hails from Lancaster and the cemetary where his grave is located is only a few blocks from the downtown.

If you're a foodie, you should consider taking a tour that launched last year and has gotten excellent reviews. The tour is called Lancaster County Food Tours. A personal guide walks you through parts of the city and gives you a historical walking tour (3 hours) while you make stops at several establishments and receive portions of samples of food and drinks (they are more generous than you'd expect). The tour for foodies is the Chef's Table. The chefs prepare special samples and explain how they decide to pair different foods/drinks, etc. Lancaster County Food Tours also offer a tour called Market and Beyond which makes stops at several food places where you get samples of items like whoopie pie, Foltz's pretzels, olive oil/vinegar tastings, etc. There's also a new tour that started this year called Pub and Grub. The website and trip advisor reviews are below (they were featured on the news a couple times, I believe clips are viewable from the webiste or possibly their facebook page which you can access through their website). They also offer tours in Lititz which is a half hour or so north of Lancaster City:

Lancaster city also has an antique row, a gallery row (many local artists) and many dining establishments of varying price, quality and ethnicity. We have a vegetarian vietnamese restaurant (Sprout), a good indian restaurant (Himalayan grill) which serves some goat dishes in addition to chicken, lamb, veg. We have an excellent french bistro and bakery (Barbaret) run by a nice couple of the same name from France and so on.

Lancaster has a small art museum on the east side of the city (lancaster museum of art) and displays at the art college downtown. Charles Demuth's museum is also downtown.

Thank you!

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Thank you!All Of you are making my to do list longer and longer :happy

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Also late to the thread but this is what I would do...

In Philly, make sure you do at least these things:
- Liberty Bell
- Independence Hall
- Museum of the American Revolution
- Reading Terminal Market (food!)
- Art Museum or something else along the Ben Franklin Parkway. Eastern State Penitentiary is also nearby and will be running their annual Terror Behind the Walls Halloween Haunted House if that's your thing.

DAY 1: Philly to Kennett Square, PA

Leave Philly after AM rush hour and head west on I-76 (Schuylkill Expressway) to King of Prussia. Walk around for a few hours at the mall, see a bunch of high end stores and have lunch. It's one of the largest malls in the country and something to see if you haven't been there before.

Leave around 1ish and go south on US202/PA100 to the childhood home of the DuPonts: Winterthur http://www.winterthur.org.

Stay until they close then drive north 20 minutes to another DuPont treasure: Longwood Gardens https://longwoodgardens.org/. It will be too late to see the gardens but you'll be in time to catch the fountain show after dark. Eat at the 1906 Restaurant inside Longwood and time your reservation so you can see the fountains. Double check their schedule, I usally go in the Summer and not sure of their hours in the Fall.

Stay overnight in Kennett Square, PA which is just outside Longwood. It's a small town with good restaurants and a main street.

DAY 2: Kennett Square, PA to Gettysburg, PA

If you want to back track slightly (or if you nix the mall and have extra time on DAY 1): Visit the Brandywine River Art Museum to see the paintings of Andrew Weyth and squeeze in a tasting at Chadds Ford Winery or Penns Woods Winery.

Head west to Gettysburg, PA. Take US1 south to Oxford, then west on PA472/PA372/PA24 which will take you through a lot of farming areas and you'll be sure to see Amish horse drawn carriages. Some of the shopping areas have tie-up areas for parking a horse and buggy. This is probably a 3 hour drive, more if you stop for food or to see any attractions. Depending on what time you arrive in Gettysburg, you may catch a battlefield tour that day or just relax in town and start fresh the next morning. There are a lot of restaurants and civil war themed stores to keep you busy.

Stay overnight in Gettysburg.

DAY 3: Gettysburg, PA to Harpers Ferry, WV

Gettysburg guided tour. Give this a full day and be prepared to do some walking. It's been years since I did a tour so I'll defer to others on this. From here I can't give too many details except that'd I'd go to Harper's Ferry and stay overnight somewhere in that area. Never been, but looks to be an hour or so south.

DAY 4: Harpers Ferry, WV to Annapolis, MD

Tour Harper's Ferry. Have an early dinner and drive ~2.5 hours to Annapolis, MD and stay overnight.

DAY 5: Annapolis, MD to Washington, DC

Visit the Naval Academy, walk the historic downtown. Eat dinner in Annapolis then drive the 2 hours into DC, hopefully avoiding too much traffic.

For one of your 5 days in DC I'd probably catch a day trip tour to Baltimore. I enjoyed touring Ft. McHenry and walking Fells Point years ago, but not so much the aquarium or inner-harbor which were overcrowded the few times we visited.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 am

WaffleCone wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 pm

- Liberty Bell
- Independence Hall
- Art Museum or something else along the Ben Franklin Parkway. Eastern State Penitentiary is also nearby and will be running their annual Terror Behind the Walls Halloween Haunted House if that's your thing.

Leave Philly after AM rush hour and head west on I-76 (Schuylkill Expressway) to King of Prussia. Walk around for a few hours at the mall, see a bunch of high end stores and have lunch. It's one of the largest malls in the country and something to see if you haven't been there before.

Leave around 1ish and go south on US202/PA100 to the childhood home of the DuPonts: Winterthur http://www.winterthur.org.

Stay until they close then drive north 20 minutes to another DuPont treasure: Longwood Gardens https://longwoodgardens.org/. It will be too late to see the gardens but you'll be in time to catch the fountain show after dark. Eat at the 1906 Restaurant inside Longwood and time your reservation so you can see the fountains. Double check their schedule, I usally go in the Summer and not sure of their hours in the Fall.

Stay overnight in Kennett Square, PA which is just outside Longwood. It's a small town with good restaurants and a main street.

If you want to back track slightly (or if you nix the mall and have extra time on DAY 1): Visit the Brandywine River Art Museum to see the paintings of Andrew Weyth and squeeze in a tasting at Chadds Ford Winery or Penns Woods Winery.

Head west to Gettysburg, PA. Take US1 south to Oxford, then west on PA472/PA372/PA24 which will take you through a lot of farming areas and you'll be sure to see Amish horse drawn carriages. Some of the shopping areas have tie-up areas for parking a horse and buggy. This is probably a 3 hour drive, more if you stop for food or to see any attractions. Depending on what time you arrive in Gettysburg, you may catch a battlefield tour that day or just relax in town and start fresh the next morning. There are a lot of restaurants and civil war themed stores to keep you busy.

Gettysburg guided tour. Give this a full day and be prepared to do some walking. It's been years since I did a tour so I'll defer to others on this. From here I can't give too many details except that'd I'd go to Harper's Ferry and stay overnight somewhere in that area. Never been, but looks to be an hour or so south.

Tour Harper's Ferry. Have an early dinner and drive ~2.5 hours to Annapolis, MD and stay overnight.

Visit the Naval Academy, walk the historic downtown. Eat dinner in Annapolis then drive the 2 hours into DC, hopefully avoiding too much traffic.

For one of your 5 days in DC I'd probably catch a day trip tour to Baltimore. I enjoyed touring Ft. McHenry and walking Fells Point years ago, but not so much the aquarium or inner-harbor which were overcrowded the few times we visited.
Wow.Thank you.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am

Philadelphia in the summer is definitely something you need to experience. Amazing food/restaurant scene, lots of beer gardens, Fairmount Park (favourite parts are Boathouse Row and Forbidden Drive in Wissahickon Creek...you can do an Indego bikeshare for cheap and see a lot of the park) is the country's largest urban park, Old City is filled with history and relics from the founding of our country, and Philly is the 3rd largest downtown in the country with endless things to do, and it's the country's only UNESCO World Heritage City. www.visitphilly.com and www.uwishunu.com may have even more ideas for you.

In addition to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia is a must see. World's largest collection of impressionist/post-impressionist art. Monets, Van Goghs, Matisses, etc. Eastern State Penitentiary (the world's first penitentiary), as previously mentioned, is open year-round and has self-guided tours.

Longwood is nice if you live in the area, but don't bother with it as it's out of the way and will eat up an entire day when you can do much more by staying an extra day in Philadelphia. Morris Arboretum is much more accessible if you're into nice gardens/estates (and check out the beautiful neighborhood of Chestnut Hill if you're there). Whatever you do, do NOT go to King of Prussia mall as the poster above recommended. It's just a bunch of stores in a large mall; do you really want to spend your vacation in a mall? There's literally nothing else to do in KOP, and the restaurants there are mediocre at best.
Last edited by ArmchairArchitect on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 am
WaffleCone wrote:

- Liberty Bell
- Independence Hall

Wow.Thank you.
Gettysburg has segway tours as well.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

WaffleCone wrote:

Longwood is beautiful, but be sure to check their website before you go. Sometimes there are special events that require timed reservations. They also have some events that are for members only. If you arrive at 0900 on a Tuesday, you will have no problems. If you get there on a Friday or Saturday night when there is a fountain show, you might be turned away without a previous reservation.

greenwaves

Post by greenwaves » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Thank you!

Great ideas for downtown Lancaster. I would add a visit to the Heritage Press Museum at 346 North Queen Street if you have any interest in the history of Letter Press Printing. The hobbyists/experts that run this place are thoroughly entertaining and educational with hands on demonstrations filled with humor and interesting facts. We allotted 30 minutes and ended up spending over an hour. A hidden gem.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am
Philadelphia in the summer is definitely something you need to experience. Amazing food/restaurant scene, lots of beer gardens, Fairmount Park (favourite parts are Boathouse Row and Forbidden Drive in Wissahickon Creek...you can do an Indego bikeshare for cheap and see a lot of the park) is the country's largest urban park, Old City is filled with history and relics from the founding of our country, and Philly is the 3rd largest downtown in the country with endless things to do, and it's the country's only UNESCO World Heritage City. www.visitphilly.com and www.uwishunu.com may have even more ideas for you.

In addition to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia is a must see. World's largest collection of impressionist/post-impressionist art. Monets, Van Goghs, Matisses, etc. Eastern State Penitentiary (the world's first penitentiary), as previously mentioned, is open year-round and has self-guided tours.

Longwood is nice if you live in the area, but don't bother with it as it's out of the way and will eat up an entire day when you can do much more by staying an extra day in Philadelphia. Morris Arboretum is much more accessible if you're into nice gardens/estates (and check out the beautiful neighborhood of Chestnut Hill if you're there). Whatever you do, do NOT go to King of Prussia mall as the poster above recommended. It's just a bunch of stores in a large mall; do you really want to spend your vacation in a mall? There's literally nothing else to do in KOP, and the restaurants there are mediocre at best.
Thank you.I am thinking about going to Harrisburg now,so just have to figure out the timing and where to stay.
When I travel I guess my main objective is to see other communities and how people live day to day that is different from the Bay Area.Not that big on art and museums.I enjoy a nice small town with special character or quirks more than a Van Gogh.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm
ArmchairArchitect wrote:

Thank you.I am thinking about going to Harrisburg now,so just have to figure out the timing and where to stay.
When I travel I guess my main objective is to see other communities and how people live day to day that is different from the Bay Area.Not that big on art and museums.I enjoy a nice small town with special character or quirks more than a Van Gogh.
Well, Philadelphia is a city of small, close-knit neighborhoods each with their own character, so I highly recommend checking out distinct nieghborhoods in the city such as Society Hill, Queen Village, Fairmount, Fishtown, and Chestnut Hill.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:

Nothing else to do? Not if you are interested in American history and our national parks. 5 minutes away and you are in Valley Forge National Historical Park, which is gorgeous and overflowing with history. Be sure to check out the visitor center first to get oriented. This is where George Washington's army spent the winter/spring of 1777-8 and almost froze.

As for restaurants, I would consider Creed's to be far far above "mediocre at best."

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Longwood is nice if you live in the area, but don't bother with it as it's out of the way and will eat up an entire day when you can do much more by staying an extra day in Philadelphia. Morris Arboretum is much more accessible if you're into nice gardens/estates (and check out the beautiful neighborhood of Chestnut Hill if you're there).
Morris Arboretum is very nice and we go frequently, but it is NOT Longwood or Winterthur. Lots of people who are spending a few days in Philly take a day trip to Longwood, about an hour outside of town. For the OP, even more relevant since they're taking a road trip south ultimately to DC.
ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Whatever you do, do NOT go to King of Prussia mall as the poster above recommended. It's just a bunch of stores in a large mall; do you really want to spend your vacation in a mall? There's literally nothing else to do in KOP, and the restaurants there are mediocre at best.
Crazy or not, people actually take "vacations" _to_ KOP mall. I've been there ad nauseum times and it's same-ole same-ole now, but for the first time a lot of out of towners like it. OP is from the west coast, so lots of shopping out there too. Wanted to mention it. Different strokes, easy to omit. Also, lots of good restaurants out there. Not small boutique chef places like in the city but good eats none-the-less. (I wouldn't visit just for the food)

OP will need to make some decisions no doubt, the area offers a lot. My thinking in recommending Longwood/Winterthur over Valley Forge: they will be in Philly for several days learning about American History. They will be in Gettysburg on a battletfield, and again in Harper's Ferry for another civil war era attraction. Then the Naval Academy in Annapolis. This is a lot of military and history to sink yourself into in just a few days. A detour through the Brandywine Valley (Longwood, Chadds Ford, Kennett Sq.) will be a change of pace: wine tastings, beautiful fountains, magnificant estates, etc. You don't need to be an art mueseum type to enjoy those. I'm not a museum type myself. Then, taking an off-the-beaten-path drive into Gettysburg from the west will keep them away from major highways and tourist traps and allow them to see the more rural, farming parts of PA (and the Amish). And check off Delaware and WV off their list of states to visit.

Harrisburg is a nice location too. Definietly tour the capital. However you go, if this is a road trip and you want to see the state, avoid the turnpike and US322 or you'll just see the same stuff you see in every city. If you're near York, might want to consider the Harley Davidson Factory tour.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:17 am

If you do the Gettysburg to Harpers Ferry route, consider the Civil War Medical Museum in downtown Frederick, MD - unique!

http://www.civilwarmed.org/nmcwm/

Frederick also has several very good eating places (e.g. Isabella's, Volt, Lucky Corner, Tasting Room) and pubs (e.g. Brewers Alley), many along the main street, Market.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:19 am

WaffleCone wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 pm
ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Longwood is nice if you live in the area, but don't bother with it as it's out of the way and will eat up an entire day when you can do much more by staying an extra day in Philadelphia. Morris Arboretum is much more accessible if you're into nice gardens/estates (and check out the beautiful neighborhood of Chestnut Hill if you're there).
Morris Arboretum is very nice and we go frequently, but it is NOT Longwood or Winterthur. Lots of people who are spending a few days in Philly take a day trip to Longwood, about an hour outside of town. For the OP, even more relevant since they're taking a road trip south ultimately to DC.
ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Whatever you do, do NOT go to King of Prussia mall as the poster above recommended. It's just a bunch of stores in a large mall; do you really want to spend your vacation in a mall? There's literally nothing else to do in KOP, and the restaurants there are mediocre at best.
Crazy or not, people actually take "vacations" _to_ KOP mall. I've been there ad nauseum times and it's same-ole same-ole now, but for the first time a lot of out of towners like it. OP is from the west coast, so lots of shopping out there too. Wanted to mention it. Different strokes, easy to omit. Also, lots of good restaurants out there. Not small boutique chef places like in the city but good eats none-the-less. (I wouldn't visit just for the food)

OP will need to make some decisions no doubt, the area offers a lot. My thinking in recommending Longwood/Winterthur over Valley Forge: they will be in Philly for several days learning about American History. They will be in Gettysburg on a battletfield, and again in Harper's Ferry for another civil war era attraction. Then the Naval Academy in Annapolis. This is a lot of military and history to sink yourself into in just a few days. A detour through the Brandywine Valley (Longwood, Chadds Ford, Kennett Sq.) will be a change of pace: wine tastings, beautiful fountains, magnificant estates, etc. You don't need to be an art mueseum type to enjoy those. I'm not a museum type myself. Then, taking an off-the-beaten-path drive into Gettysburg from the west will keep them away from major highways and tourist traps and allow them to see the more rural, farming parts of PA (and the Amish). And check off Delaware and WV off their list of states to visit.

Harrisburg is a nice location too. Definietly tour the capital. However you go, if this is a road trip and you want to see the state, avoid the turnpike and US322 or you'll just see the same stuff you see in every city. If you're near York, might want to consider the Harley Davidson Factory tour.
Thanks for the update.Makes a lot of sense.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 am

c.coyle wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

I think you covered it. My family is German and settled in PA so we probably qualify as part of the PA Dutch community on the whole. As people in this area know, PA Dutch does not mean Amish or Mennonite, both of which are religious sects that try to live the same way they did upon arrival. They work hard to stay isolated and their own dialect of German helps. Non Mennonites and non Amish that speak this language are becoming increasingly rare. My maternal grandparents were fluent in PA German as well as English. My fraternal grandfather learned it as his business sold heavily to them.

My only interaction with them has been roadside produce stands and the crew of young men that framed my house.

I grew up surrounded by Mennonite farms. My grandfather was close friends with one Mennonite family as evidenced by turnout at his funeral.

The tourist stops have zero to do with the actual community as near as I can tell.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you.
I was not planning on spending time in Amish country,but just wanted to basically drive through.I hate tacky tourist crap.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 am

hoops777 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am
Thank you.
I was not planning on spending time in Amish country,but just wanted to basically drive through.I hate tacky tourist crap.
There is nothing unique about "Amish country"; typically looks just like many other rural areas. East of Cleveland you can drive through many Amish communities and you'd never know unless there was a horse drawn buggy on the road.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:26 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thank you.
From Route 30 west of Exton make a right turn onto 10 ( Octorara Trail) CVS pharmacy on the corner to 340 (Old Philadelphia Pike) until the intersection of Route 30 west, about 25 min ride. We go this way several times a month and you will see Amish buggies along the way, this past Sunday we saw 39! The countryside is beautiful with many farms and old homes. Stop in Intercourse and take your photo in front of the sign ( if going west on 340 the sign is after going through town on your left).

Do not use Route 30 it is full of tourist traps and you will not see any Amish.

Following the above once in Lancaster pick up Route 283 to Harrisburg....have fun.
Last edited by TLC1957 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:35 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 am
hoops777 wrote:
Thank you.
There is nothing unique about "Amish country"; typically looks just like many other rural areas. East of Cleveland you can drive through many Amish communities and you'd never know unless there was a horse drawn buggy on the road.
I would agree. Take a look at a buggy or two, don't spend any money in the tourist areas, and head into the City of Lancaster. We have a lot more early American history around here than just the Amish... Robert Fulton, James Buchanan (who gets a bad rap but was actuslly a decent president), etc. If you like fine xusuine stay away from the country buffets and head into the city. Thank me later.

-TheDDC

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:26 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Thank you.
From Route 30 west of Exton make a right turn onto 10 ( Octorara Trail) CVS pharmacy on the corner to 340 (Old Philadelphia Pike) until the intersection of Route 30 west, about 25 min ride. We go this way several times a month and you will see Amish buggies along the way, this past Sunday we saw 39! The countryside is beautiful with many farms and old homes. Stop in Intercourse and take your photo in front of the sign ( if going west on 340 the sign is after going through town on your left).

Do not use Route 30 it is full of tourist traps and you will not see any Amish.

Following the above once in Lancaster pick up Route 283 to Harrisburg....have fun.
Thanks

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Most of the recommendations have already been made.

I usually through in some recommendations to catch a home Phillies :annoyed / Flyers / Sixers / Eagles :beer game, but the timing is wrong for all four teams.

As for night life in Center City, check out South Street.

Caution (really): Do not stray outside the tourist areas, especially at night.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 am

If you decide you need a Cheesesteak from Philly (it's not called a Philly steak sandwich, by the way, just a cheesesteak) please avoid Geno' s and the other downtown places that everyone from out of town goes to. They're tourist traps with made up "rules" for ordering. It's stupid.

Any sandwich shop in the area can probably make you a decent Cheesesteak, though I'd look for an Italian place. It really just needs to be in the area, not the city.

Also, I'm 44 and not once have I had a Cheesesteak made with Cheez Wiz. That's disgusting. White American cheese is what you want, with fried onions. I prefer no sauce and add ketchup after I get it.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm
Most of the recommendations have already been made.

I usually through in some recommendations to catch a home Phillies :annoyed / Flyers / Sixers / Eagles :beer game, but the timing is wrong for all four teams.

As for night life in Center City, check out South Street.

Caution (really): Do not stray outside the tourist areas, especially at night.
A Sixers ticket will be expensive after they sign Lebron :D Just kidding,sort of.They could but unlikely.

PJmillennial

Post by PJmillennial » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am

I live in Lancaster and agree that you should avoid the touristy Amish sites. It's a poor display of the real Amish way of life. I would suggest you drive the country side and visit some of the smaller towns. Lititz is really great, I believe it was one of the top voted small towns a year ago.

Lancaster city is a real gem. It's got Central Market which, as mentioned, is the oldest in the country. If you go on a market day you will see some real Amish working some stands.

Rachel's Creperie and Café on Orange are my two favorite breakfast places. Its an easy city to walk around and it doesn't have the tourist trap feel at all.
Lancaster Dispensing Co is right next to Central Market and should be reopened after a bad fire by the time you come to town. They have pretty good food in a neat environment.
The Stockyard Inn if my go to if you want a nice dinner spot. It has a neat history as a stockyard and, you guessed it, an inn. James Buchanan owned it for a time as well. They have the best aged Delmonico steak you will have. I know that's a big claim but if you have it you will agree. So good that I've used my "fun money" to get it.

Night life is pretty good too. The Fulton theater has really top notch productions and its a neat historic building. Tellus360 has 3 different bars on three levels and usually multiple live bands. You might want to check their lineup as they also hold concerts routinely. The rooftop bar gives a nice view of central square, although it might not be opened that late in the season.

If you need any recommendations I would be happy to see what I can come up with. Lancaster is a great town and everyone who comes to visit seems to appreciate it.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm

PJmillennial wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am
I live in Lancaster and agree that you should avoid the touristy Amish sites. It's a poor display of the real Amish way of life. I would suggest you drive the country side and visit some of the smaller towns. Lititz is really great, I believe it was one of the top voted small towns a year ago.

Lancaster city is a real gem. It's got Central Market which, as mentioned, is the oldest in the country. If you go on a market day you will see some real Amish working some stands.

Rachel's Creperie and Café on Orange are my two favorite breakfast places. Its an easy city to walk around and it doesn't have the tourist trap feel at all.
Lancaster Dispensing Co is right next to Central Market and should be reopened after a bad fire by the time you come to town. They have pretty good food in a neat environment.
The Stockyard Inn if my go to if you want a nice dinner spot. It has a neat history as a stockyard and, you guessed it, an inn. James Buchanan owned it for a time as well. They have the best aged Delmonico steak you will have. I know that's a big claim but if you have it you will agree. So good that I've used my "fun money" to get it.

Night life is pretty good too. The Fulton theater has really top notch productions and its a neat historic building. Tellus360 has 3 different bars on three levels and usually multiple live bands. You might want to check their lineup as they also hold concerts routinely. The rooftop bar gives a nice view of central square, although it might not be opened that late in the season.

If you need any recommendations I would be happy to see what I can come up with. Lancaster is a great town and everyone who comes to visit seems to appreciate it.
Thanks.I will look up where Lititz is

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:28 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm
PJmillennial wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks.I looked up Lititz and that is the type of place we like to visit.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Another vote Lititz wife loved the shops, one street several blocks with unusual nice shops and restaurants right off 30 take 501 North can easy spend a few hours here ( plenty of benches for the male in the family to sit on while females shop.....lol).

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

canderson wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm
... Lititz. Combine it with a drive through Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Nickle Mine. .....
Am curious why you recommend Nickle Mine and the horror associated with that settlement.
Are you suggesting the site of the Amish schoolhouse where the mass killings took place is now an historic spot?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:08 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm
canderson wrote:
... Lititz. Combine it with a drive through Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Nickle Mine. .....
Am curious why you recommend Nickle Mine and the horror associated with that settlement.
Are you suggesting the site of the Amish schoolhouse where the mass killings took place is now an historic spot?
The area was scenic before and remains a scenic area to drive through. You may shun the area if you choose, but I would recommend driving through as well if you are interested in the area with its rolling hills, quaint farms, and winding roads. Virginia Tech remains a beautiful campus and amazing school and I wouldn’t avoid it, even though there is horror associated with it too.

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:40 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm
canderson wrote:
Because it’s a drop-dead gorgeous area, the school has been demolished and all traces removed, and didn’t think about that tragic day nor should anyone.

If you want to avoid areas in America were there was once a shooting, you’ll have a very small footprint to explore.

Lancaster County has moved on. As should we all.