"distilled" water for wife's CPAP machine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

"distilled" water for wife's CPAP machine

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm

My wife uses a CPAP machine at night and the one she uses has a container for water. She buys "distilled" water.

Before I suggest this to her - I wonder if the condensed water from a dehumidifier might be satisfactory as a "free" alternative?

Pajamas

Re: "distilled" water for wife's CPAP machine

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

No because the collection container from the dehumidifier will be contaminated.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Only if it’s a steam dehumidifier, not ultrasonic. But it sounds like quite the contraption to save a buck a month or whatever a gallon of distilled water costs. They also make home distilling machines, but the payback for the machine would take 10+ years so I’d say it’s only a good idea if you can’t buy distilled water in your area or something.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

While my instinctual reaction to your question is "no", I honestly am just expressing an opinion without any support.

That said, is finding the distilled water a concern? I buy a gallon of it about once every 2-3 months for $0.78 while I'm out for groceries anyways (my CPAP is the only item I use it for). I get your wife's usage could easily be significantly higher than mine, but are we really talking a difference that isn't in the "noise" range?

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Oh I read it as condensed from a humidifier, oops. I wouldn’t use water from a dehumidifier, it’s nasty, all kinds of dirt and bacteria from the air.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:43 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm
Oh I read it as condensed from a humidifier, oops. I wouldn’t use water from a dehumidifier, it’s nasty, all kinds of dirt and bacteria from the air.
Mine regularly grows mold if not careful. Seems like the opposite of a pure water. more likely to cause new respiratory issues...

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:44 pm

You're talking about a potential cost of savings of maybe, 6 ounces/day at a cost of, say, $1.29/gallon = $0.06/day or $22/year.

Since there is no expectation that people are going to drink, let alone breathe the water condensed in a dehumidifier, there's no reason to expect there's been any attention given to the possible health issues of the same.

Mold, bacteria, and Legionnaire's disease grow in damp places--Legionnaire's specifically in water condensed in air-conditioning system. I would not think of taking the risk of putting water into a system I was going to be breathing out of if I thought there was any possibility of contamination.

By all means go price-shopping on the distilled water.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

TappyGee

Post by TappyGee » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm

I used the water from my under sink reverse osmosis system. It works great and leaves no residue in my tank.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:44 pm
Mold, bacteria, and Legionnaire's disease grow in damp places--Legionnaire's specifically in water condensed in air-conditioning system. I would not think of taking the risk of putting water into a system I was going to be breathing out of if I thought there was any possibility of contamination.
Mine would grow enough slime to plug up a garden hose every so often...

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:55 pm

I was thinking more just of biofilm in the collection container, but Legionella infections infections in particular have been caused by medical equipment, including CPAP machines. I agree that you don't want to increase that specific risk by using water taken from another device that can also harbor Legionella.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

I've been using a CPAP for about 7 years and my annual cost for distilled water is about $11.00 a year - 12 gallons. I also clean the mask and the tank every morning. The hose about once every two weeks. Also change the filters monthly. This is not a device that you would want to skimp on for supplies. Breathing air that's been been humidified with warm water is something that becomes very risky if the water or container becomes contaminated. You're better off saving money on something that isn't essential to your health.

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Don't do it. Treat your wife to some distilled water.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm
My wife uses a CPAP machine at night and the one she uses has a container for water. She buys "distilled" water.

Before I suggest this to her - I wonder if the condensed water from a dehumidifier might be satisfactory as a "free" alternative?
No. The reservoir chamber on the dehumidifier is not sterile, and she'll be breathing in all sorts of unhealthy crud.

I get distilled water for my CPAP by the gallon jug at the local grocery. Be careful to make sure the word "distilled" is on the label. Some say "purified", which is not the same thing.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Very bad idea! Only use real distilled water. Why do you want to save money on such an inexpensive item?

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:17 pm

I am honestly dumbfounded that someone would ask this about something that costs a few pennies a day.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Dehumidifier/Air conditioner condensate is contaminated by dust and other particles in the air passing through?

zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm

I was a Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (sleep tech), albeit many years ago. Your wife inhales water vapor from her CPAP humidifier deep into her lungs. Using anything other than distilled water would be taking a big chance. Also, it's important to keep her CPAP equipment (mask, hose, humidifier) scrupulously clean and free of mold and any other contaminants. Trying to save a few bucks on cheaper water would be foolish.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm

This thread is getting very "medical."
People often hate what they fear

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 pm

OK - better to be "beaten up" here than by my wife ;)

I will say nothing :)

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:59 pm

For me a couple of bucks a month is not worth the risk of a respiratory infection. I use distilled exclusively.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:16 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 pm
OK - better to be "beaten up" here than by my wife ;)

I will say nothing :)
While you’re at it, buy her a cleaner (I think the name is SoClean2). Runs a 10 minute ozone cleaning of the hose, mask, and reservoir every day.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Be grateful that the distilled water doesn't come in little single-use cartridges with one night's supply of distilled water, at $39.95 for a box of 24--with RFID chips in them, of course, so that the machine will only run with genuine manufacturer-branded cartridges.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 pm
Be grateful that the distilled water doesn't come in little single-use cartridges with one night's supply of distilled water, at $39.95 for a box of 24--with RFID chips in them, of course, so that the machine will only run with genuine manufacturer-branded cartridges.
No RFD chips but individual use bottles:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquapap-water-ou ... B01M3U05F0

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 pm
nisiprius wrote:
No RFD chips but individual use bottles:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquapap-water-ou ... B01M3U05F0
I'm never cynical enough.

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:
They're working on it. Should be available within the next 6 months.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 pm

As stated, the water from the dehumidifier is exactly the opposite of sanitary. I have been using a CPAP with humidifier for 10 years. I have always used distilled water, except once when I ran out. I used our very hard tap water, as, as I assumed, it left a mineral scale behind that was difficult to clean. If you have an ALDI near you, they have the lowest price I've found. I think it's $.89/gallon.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Wow, the price of the little bottles of distilled water are EACH several times the price of a gallon! What a ripoff! You could just buy a new gallon bottle each week for the less than the price of those small 11-12 oz bottles—wow!

BL

Post by BL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Agree that you want to keep it as clean as possible and certainly not use old distilled water. There is no point in increasing the risk of pneumonia.

If you must, you could probably collect the leftover water to use in steam cleaners, humidifiers, steam irons, etc., where the vapor doesn't go directly into your lungs.

It is true that it is mostly + or - $1.00, although I found a quick stop where it cost about 3.00. Will try to avoid that if possible. My usual grocery has been out of it twice in a couple months--not sure what is going on there.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 pm

I use water from a reverse osmosis system for the humidifier tank in my CPAP machine. No issues so far. Still have to clean the cartridge a couple times a week, though.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 pm

1. No for good reasons that are already listed.

2. Ask your pulmonologist, or your primary care doc if you don't trust those answers.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 am

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 pm
Wow, the price of the little bottles of distilled water are EACH several times the price of a gallon! What a ripoff! You could just buy a new gallon bottle each week for the less than the price of those small 11-12 oz bottles—wow!
She buys gallon containers of distilled water now.

donall

Post by donall » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am

Really bad idea, just water your plants with the water.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:02 pm

dm200 wrote:

This might be the best thread of the year! :D

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm

TappyGee wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm
I used the water from my under sink reverse osmosis system. It works great and leaves no residue in my tank.
+1

Except with mine the faucet is not under the sink but near the main sink faucet.

Joke... everyone laugh :D

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Something like this and you can recoup your investment after a couple hundred gallons...

http://www.h2olabs.com/p-50-convenient- ... rvior.aspx
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:17 pm
I am honestly dumbfounded that someone would ask this about something that costs a few pennies a day.
You and me, both. I don't even know how the cost of distilled water for a CPAP machine would even hit the radar for a cost savings mechansim and enough so to post on a financial/investing forum.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm
delamer wrote:
You and me, both. I don't even know how the cost of distilled water for a CPAP machine would even hit the radar for a cost savings mechansim and enough so to post on a financial/investing forum.
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves. :beer

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm
SouthernCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm
delamer wrote:
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves. :beer
Not in this instance. Taking care of the pence is likely to cause health issues that require pounds to fix.

RandomPointer

Post by RandomPointer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm

I stopped using humidifier, and I discovered that it took two nights to adjust without it. Sure, in the beginning, my throat was a little bit dry.

Less maintenance for me, and fewer things to buy. @UpperNWGuy, ask your wife if she is willing to try not using humidifier, if that works, that is great.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 pm

RandomPointer wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm
I stopped using humidifier, and I discovered that it took two nights to adjust without it. Sure, in the beginning, my throat was a little bit dry.

Less maintenance for me, and fewer things to buy. @UpperNWGuy, ask your wife if she is willing to try not using humidifier, if that works, that is great.
Whoa.... I think you might be confused. I am not the OP, and I don't have a wife. I do, however, use a CPAP, and I always use it with a humidifier. Without the humidifier, the inside of my nose gets irritated.

RandomPointer

Post by RandomPointer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Whoa.... I think you might be confused. I am not the OP, and I don't have a wife. I do, however, use a CPAP, and I always use it with a humidifier. Without the humidifier, the inside of my nose gets irritated.
My apology. I got confused.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 pm

nisiprius wrote:
:D Not sure I should be laughing. Next thread, how to buy distilled water from Canada.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

I only use sparkling distilled water. I breathe the vapors with my pinky sticking out.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm

My wife has a CPAP that she's used for many years. I just showed her this thread, and she said her CPAP has a water reservoir but that she doesn't fill it, and has never used it.

?? Is this OK ??

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm
My wife has a CPAP that she's used for many years. I just showed her this thread, and she said her CPAP has a water reservoir but that she doesn't fill it, and has never used it.

?? Is this OK ??
I just started using a CPAP 2 months ago. When I picked up the machine. I asked the therapist if it was necessary to use the humidifier. He said no. I have not been putting any water in it. I figure it is the same air I would be breathing if I did not use the machine, so why add moisture?

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves.
Ah, but that's only one member of the pair of contradictory proverbs. The other is "penny wise and pound foolish."

Similarly:

He who hesitates is lost/Look before you leap

Many hands make light work/Too many cooks spoil the broth

Buy low, sell high/Cut your losses and let your profits run

etc.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Ah, but that's only one member of the pair of contradictory proverbs. The other is "penny wise and pound foolish."
I agree that the solution he proposed is not a wise one--you can see above that I responded that way immediately.

However, I'm not sure why people are giving him flack about thinking about a less expensive solution than buying distilled water even if it is only, say, $12 a year. After all, water is often free or nearly so. He asked a legitimate question and got answers. Apparently some people think that the question isn't legitimate.

I don't like spending money if it's not necessary or beneficial to do so, either, and think about even small expenditures. So I'll say it again for extra emphasis:

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 pm

I think the reason for skepticism of the OPs question is that it’s an insignificant amount compared to the risk of not using distilled water. Sure, there are many ways to economize on small things that add up to decent amounts. Health is not one of them. Skip the Starbucks, bring a homemade lunch to work, get basic TV, buy a Kia rather than a Lexus. But try to save $1 a month on something that affects your well being? Better to use your CPAP without the humidifier. Did the once by accident - my mouth was stuck shut when I woke up 🤐.

robertalpert

Post by robertalpert » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm

My older cpap uses a separate stand-alone humidifier in which I use tap water that I change on a daily basis.

But the newer cpap models with integrated humidifier should only use distilled water (to prevent damage to the CPAP unit).

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 pm

dm200 wrote:

OP, thanks for this post. I'm going to show it to my wife because she thinks I'm cheap. :D