successful chase sapphire paid auto claim with rental abroad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nestor400

successful chase sapphire paid auto claim with rental abroad

Post by nestor400 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 am

hello all,

sorry if this is redundant, but there are endless CSR threads that makes this topic difficult to search.

i was in the caribbean, declined the rental agency insurance - all per protocol with my CSR card. like an idiot, i backed into an unseen jetty of a rock wall and caused $350ish in bumper scratches. showed the rental agency upon return of the vehicle. the agency was very helpful in sending me all of the docs needed in PDF format, including their 350 estimate.

called chase (60 day time frame on claims - i called the 59th day...), answered a few questions over a 7 min phone call. sent me an email to a 3rd party site where i spent roughly 20 mins uploading documents and filling out a few fields (brief description of incident, etc).

was told 8-10 weeks for processing. received an approval email 48 hrs later, and a direct deposit for the $350 48 hours after that. super sweet.

ive read a few CSR threads where people have questions as to what happens with foreign car rentals and potential process if one does have an issue. so, here it is! hope this helps someone!!

caffeperfavore

Re: successful chase sapphire paid auto claim with rental abroad

Post by caffeperfavore » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am

Yes, thank you. This is very helpful as we'll likely be using for an upcoming trip abroad. I hope to hear from others about their experiences with the CSR to add a few more data points.

sonosoldi3112

Post by sonosoldi3112 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 am

Hello

And thank you .... great to know it works .... was not sure about using card for his purpose ... but good to hear of a successful outcome.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

I would have called to raise the claim the day you caused the damage and knew you would be making a claim. There is a short window to start the claim, but the time to get all of the documentation is 365 days I believe. If there is any question I might have caused damage I start a claim. I got burned in Germany years ago when National sent me a bill three months after the rental. Amex wouldn't help since I was beyond the claim period.

The last potential issue was with Sixt in Ireland where they noted a crack on the air dam on return. Car return was slammed and the guy just drove off so I didn't know if they were going to charge me or not. I started a claim with Chase the next day but never heard a word from Sixt, so the claim just expired eventually. I'm guessing they just billed the next person when they had more time to do paperwork.

student

Post by student » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you for the info.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm

I too have had success with CSR foreign rental claim. The only wrinkle was that the documents were all in Icelandic and I had to wait for Chase to get a translator. I was not offered a direct deposit option but a check showed up within a month.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Another data point here but for a different travel insurance reimbursement scenario:

Needed to cancel and change some flights due to spouse becoming ill. It took some legwork gathering all the necessary information (doctor's note, airline cancellation policy and dates of travel and flight numbers) but eventually got reimbursed for all cancellation fees (I received a full credit from the airline for the canceled fare). I got a direct deposit a few weeks later.

More than made up for the fee of this card.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Glad to hear these good news stories. I’ve had the CSR since its inception, but not yet had to use those features.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 pm
Glad to hear these good news stories. I’ve had the CSR since its inception, but not yet had to use those features.
Agree on all points. My hope is that I never need those benefits, but it's good to know they are there and apparently working as advertised.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Good to read and know. But I wonder how it will work when there is a large claim with another vehicle, loss of use and other issues that frequently crop up.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:41 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Good to read and know. But I wonder how it will work when there is a large claim with another vehicle, loss of use and other issues that frequently crop up.
Other vehicle as in you cause damage to some other vehicle with your rental car? CSR doesn't provide liability coverage.

bberris

Post by bberris » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Trip cancellation insurance with Chase sapphire was only partly successful for me. I claimed the full price of my plane tickets (bargain $550 each for MSP to FCO). But they only paid the change fee ($300). Rebooking after we felt good enough to travel would have cost over 1000 each. We did not rebook with that airline but found an even better bargain for late October ($379). I believe they did not comply with the terms of the insurance, and wrote a letter; stil waiting on that.

I don't know whether paid trip insurance would work better.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 pm

No one adds an unlimited non-owner (UNOC) rider to their auto policy?

https://www.creditsesame.com/blog/insur ... insurance/