One handed Android phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

One handed Android phone?

Post by kayanco » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a recent Android phone that can be used with one hand (like the older iPhone 4 with it's 3.5 inch screen).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

unclescrooge

Re: One handed Android phone?

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I can use the new Samsung Galaxy s9 plus with one hand....I think it depends on the size of your hands.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 am

Why isn't a generic Android phone with 5" touchscreen a one-handed phone? I do use a stylus because I can't hit precise points with a finger.
Anyway, the phones are less than 3" wide, so could probably be manipulated using a thumb while laying on the fingers of the same hand.
Last edited by ReadyOrNot on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 am

I've been looking for a good phone bigger than the iPhone SE and smaller than the iPhone 8 with little luck. The iPhone SE is ok, but want a bigger screen without having to go up in phone size. I'm hoping the new iPhone SE 2 or X SE will fit the bill.

The problem is android phones have to beat the 4.7" display size, so 5" is the minimum that can compete with iPhone. Smaller phones are considered budget phones and outfitted with weak processors. You don't want those. [This is not the phone you want https://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wirele ... /240650941 ]

The only decent line I've found is the Sony Xperia, but they're expensive and full of tradeoffs. So I stick with iPhone SE for now.
Whether price is important or not, the fact remains that it's actually the only small flagship-level Android phone around. Apple does its own smaller phone -- the iPhone SE, and the rumoured iPhone SE2, potentially coming later this year -- which is the only other compact handset around to consider. If you're not keen on switching to Apple and you're not taken with the XZ2 Compact, you'll need to work on those thumb exercises as they'll have to stretch further on a bigger phone.
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xper ... ct/review/

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compa ... 0834,10408

GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am

Another option is adding a popsocket to any phone. I personally don't like how it looks, but it makes one handed use a lot easier.

BL

Post by BL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am

GoofyOne wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am
Another option is adding a popsocket to any phone. I personally don't like how it looks, but it makes one handed use a lot easier.
+1
They really are handy for good grip, but also collapse to a slim profile. Available for about 10 bucks, more or less. I have smallish hands and a Moto G5 Plus bought in December; it was pretty cheap for its capabilities.

bgf

Post by bgf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 am

BL wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am
GoofyOne wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am
+1
They really are handy for good grip, but also collapse to a slim profile. Available for about 10 bucks, more or less. I have smallish hands and a Moto G5 Plus bought in December; it was pretty cheap for its capabilities.
just noticed my sister had that on her iphone x, and i had no clue what it was. i thought it was a mount or something for her car while driving... she says its very helpful.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am

In settings on my Samsung Galaxy S9 there is a setting for one handed operation, tho I've never had the need to try it.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobi ... galaxy-s9/

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 am

ReadyOrNot wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 am
Why isn't a generic Android phone with 5" touchscreen a one-handed phone? I do use a stylus because I can't hit precise points with a finger.
Anyway, the phones are less than 3" wide, so could probably be manipulated using a thumb while laying on the fingers of the same hand.
I tried a Galaxy S6 which is 5.1 inch screen. I can't reach the top of the screen easily, especially the top-left corner of an app (some apps have a drop-down there). Difficult to use

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 am

inbox788 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 am
I've been looking for a good phone bigger than the iPhone SE and smaller than the iPhone 8 with little luck. The iPhone SE is ok, but want a bigger screen without having to go up in phone size. I'm hoping the new iPhone SE 2 or X SE will fit the bill.

The problem is android phones have to beat the 4.7" display size, so 5" is the minimum that can compete with iPhone. Smaller phones are considered budget phones and outfitted with weak processors. You don't want those. [This is not the phone you want https://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wirele ... /240650941 ]

The only decent line I've found is the Sony Xperia, but they're expensive and full of tradeoffs. So I stick with iPhone SE for now.
Whether price is important or not, the fact remains that it's actually the only small flagship-level Android phone around. Apple does its own smaller phone -- the iPhone SE, and the rumoured iPhone SE2, potentially coming later this year -- which is the only other compact handset around to consider. If you're not keen on switching to Apple and you're not taken with the XZ2 Compact, you'll need to work on those thumb exercises as they'll have to stretch further on a bigger phone.
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xper ... ct/review/

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compa ... 0834,10408
How do you find 4.7 size for one hand use?
Looks like there is a Samsung phone called Galaxy A3, have you looked into it?

Thanks.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 am

No help but same here. My Moto G 5-inch is the perfect size but I'd like to get a newer one with presumably a longer battery life. But the phones available to me at Consumer Cellular are all bigger or the smaller SE.

I like the Samsung phones like the S8 but they are rather long to put in my pocket like I can with the Moto G.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 am

If the SE is too small (4") and the iPhone 6/7/8 (4.7") is too big, there isn't much in between.

The regular iPhone 8 is still one of the smallest screens left out there. Most are 5", 5.5", 5.7", 6.0", etc.

A black thin case with a black pop-socket might be the best solution. The phone doesn't lay flat on its back with the pop-socket, but it will improve your one-handed-ness.

Blu makes a series of unlocked GSM Android smartphones in a variety of sizes. They are pretty cheap too. Search eBay for the different sizes and prices.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 am

I have the Sony Xperia X Compact (predecessor to the XZ2 Compact mentioned by another poster) and like it a lot. I got it for the same reason you are looking at smaller phones. I don't want to carry a huge phablet but want decent performance. I bought it about a year after it came out and just before its replacement at about 1/2 the price it listed for when it was introduced.

My experience is that it works well as a phone, is big enough to look things up, works well as a GPS system, and takes great pictures. I don't watch movies or play games on my phone so don't need the big screen. Battery life has been decent. Between Android 8's battery management & Sony's smart recharging, it lasts a full day and doesn't seem to have degraded yet.

The one downside is because it has a small market share, there are a limited number of cases available for it. I ended up getting one of those cheap silicone sleeves that has protected it well enough for the 1.5 years I've had it.
Lorne

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 am

tractorguy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 am
I have the Sony Xperia X Compact (predecessor to the XZ2 Compact mentioned by another poster) and like it a lot. I got it for the same reason you are looking at smaller phones. I don't want to carry a huge phablet but want decent performance. I bought it about a year after it came out and just before its replacement at about 1/2 the price it listed for when it was introduced.

My experience is that it works well as a phone, is big enough to look things up, works well as a GPS system, and takes great pictures. I don't watch movies or play games on my phone so don't need the big screen. Battery life has been decent. Between Android 8's battery management & Sony's smart recharging, it lasts a full day and doesn't seem to have degraded yet.

The one downside is because it has a small market share, there are a limited number of cases available for it. I ended up getting one of those cheap silicone sleeves that has protected it well enough for the 1.5 years I've had it.
Does it's camera have optical image stabilization?
Is it an important feature for a camera?

GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 am

XZ1 and XZ2 compact do not have optical image stabilization. It is usually important for low light situations, where the camera shutter has to stay open for longer to capture enough light for the picture, or else there is a chance the picture will come out a little blurry.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Google Keyboard for Android has a one-handed mode. So does SwiftKey. They shrink the keyboard so your thumb doesn't have to traverse the whole width of the phone to reach all of the keys. I find this to be a good compromise over buying a smaller phone, since I still have the bigger screen for when I want it and the one-handed mode can be easily toggled on and off.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 am

jadd806 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am
Google Keyboard for Android has a one-handed mode. So does SwiftKey. They shrink the keyboard so your thumb doesn't have to traverse the whole width of the phone to reach all of the keys. I find this to be a good compromise over buying a smaller phone, since I still have the bigger screen for when I want it and the one-handed mode can be easily toggled on and off.
What do you think is the primary use of bigger screen. I never watch video, so I'm assuming I don't need bigger screen. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 am

kayanco wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 am
jadd806 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am
What do you think is the primary use of bigger screen. I never watch video, so I'm assuming I don't need bigger screen. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.
I find it easier to use when reading (especially non-mobile friendly sites) since you can fit more text on the screen. Less panning/zooming/scrolling. Less page turns in the Kindle app. I also play some games on my phone and find the bigger screen helpful.

If you're just using it for the phone and occasional text messaging it probably doesn't matter to you.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 am

The LG K30?

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm
I can use the new Samsung Galaxy s9 plus with one hand....I think it depends on the size of your hands.
Interesting. I took a look at the S8 and S9, these are incredibly large phones! I'm guessing most people want/prefer bigger screens?? Maybe it's mostly for videos.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am

unclescrooge wrote:
montanagirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 am
No help but same here. My Moto G 5-inch is the perfect size but I'd like to get a newer one with presumably a longer battery life. But the phones available to me at Consumer Cellular are all bigger or the smaller SE.

I like the Samsung phones like the S8 but they are rather long to put in my pocket like I can with the Moto G.
For folks with bigger phones:

How do you use it in the car? I find it too cumbersome ...

Jablean

Post by Jablean » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am

Because that's what they are selling. Got one supposedly free when switched back to Direct TV and ATT Internet. It is supposed to have a split screen (two apps open at once). I've never liked pockets so I have a waist clip case set.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am

kayanco wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am
unclescrooge wrote:
montanagirl wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 am

For folks with bigger phones:

How do you use it in the car? I find it too cumbersome ...
I never use my phone in a moving car when I'm driving. I either wait until I'm stopped, it I pull over.

There are several voice activated features (bixby and Google assistant), but I don't drive enough to bother with them.

There's also an edge bar on the newer Samsungs, where a simple swipe can pull up frequent contacts or apps.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 am

kayanco wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Interesting. I took a look at the S8 and S9, these are incredibly large phones! I'm guessing most people want/prefer bigger screens?? Maybe it's mostly for videos.
I do a lot of reading on my phone. It's easier to see charts on a larger screen. Plus the battery life is better.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am

The Pixel 2 is a manageable screen size (5") and also one of the best phones on the market.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 am
Blu makes a series of unlocked GSM Android smartphones in a variety of sizes. They are pretty cheap too. Search eBay for the different sizes and prices.
Stay away! Blu has been caught multiple times preloading spyware on their phones. Here's the story from last year when Amazon pulled them after they got caught the second time:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/31/1607 ... data-theft

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:19 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Stay away! Blu has been caught multiple times preloading spyware on their phones. Here's the story from last year when Amazon pulled them after they got caught the second time:

Ouch. I hadn't heard that. Never owned a Blu phone myself, but I know some that want to spend as absolutely as little as possible. Thanks for the information.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 am
I've used the 4.7 iPhones and had no problems with one hand use, with occasional hand gymnastics to reach a button. And I like the bigger screens when using phones, but for me it's about the time I'm not using it. Just holding a larger phone is more difficult, and storing it in the pocket is more bulky. If I was constantly using the phone, I'd deal with it, but I try to avoid using my phone for anything but necessary tasks.
bloom2708 wrote:
If the SE is too small (4") and the iPhone 6/7/8 (4.7") is too big, there isn't much in between.

The regular iPhone 8 is still one of the smallest screens left out there. Most are 5", 5.5", 5.7", 6.0", etc
Apple managed to squeeze a 5.5" display into the X, which isn't much larger than the 8. I'm hoping they'll squeeze a 4.5 or 4.7" (or even a 5") display into the SE case (or not much bigger).

Or make it even smaller, back to the iPhone 4 size, so it's just as usable as the current SE but smaller. I wonder how usable a credit card sized smart phone would be. I'd guess it wouldn't work all that great and a watch is way too small for anything other than very basic functions.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

Wow!! Very bad :(

Thanks for sharing this.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 pm
kayanco wrote:
I've used the 4.7 iPhones and had no problems with one hand use, with occasional hand gymnastics to reach a button. And I like the bigger screens when using phones, but for me it's about the time I'm not using it. Just holding a larger phone is more difficult, and storing it in the pocket is more bulky. If I was constantly using the phone, I'd deal with it, but I try to avoid using my phone for anything but necessary tasks.
bloom2708 wrote:

The regular iPhone 8 is still one of the smallest screens left out there. Most are 5", 5.5", 5.7", 6.0", etc
Apple managed to squeeze a 5.5" display into the X, which isn't much larger than the 8. I'm hoping they'll squeeze a 4.5 or 4.7" (or even a 5") display into the SE case (or not much bigger).

Or make it even smaller, back to the iPhone 4 size, so it's just as usable as the current SE but smaller. I wonder how usable a credit card sized smart phone would be. I'd guess it wouldn't work all that great and a watch is way too small for anything other than very basic functions.
I had zero issues using the smaller iPhone 3.5 inch screens. Perfect for my use, occasional article, etc.

I really wish there's a good Android phone in the 4 - 4.5 inch range.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 pm

I use an Alcatel one touch idol 3. Chosen because I carry it in my front pocket, it is slim and I believe 4.5 or 4.7 inches. It was just $100 and unlocked android.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm

inbox788 wrote:
They will not. Multiple reliable sources have confirmed that the iPhone SE replacement that was expected this year has been killed. The current iPhone X will be the smallest member of the new lineup. There will be a slightly larger, cost-reduced version of the X, and a significantly larger X Plus.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:29 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm
inbox788 wrote:
They will not. Multiple reliable sources have confirmed that the iPhone SE replacement that was expected this year has been killed. The current iPhone X will be the smallest member of the new lineup. There will be a slightly larger, cost-reduced version of the X, and a significantly larger X Plus.
Rumors are rumors, but you're probably right. The marketplace is buying larger and larger phones and we ("one handed phone users") are not a big share of the market.

I don't understand this complicated strategy of similar products (iPhone X vs slightly larger cost reduced version). And like when they went with 10.5 vs 9.7 iPad/Pro selling 3 similar models. Feels like they're following Samsung looking for the "perfect" tablet size throwing things up against the wall and seeing what sticks. You can get sizes 7.0, 7.7, 8.0, 8.4, 8.9, 9.7, 10.1, 10.5, 12.2, etc. It's so unApple where they find the perfect size and tell us what it is so we don't have to think about it and choose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_G ... comparison

The marketplace is probably telling us that small one handed phone users aren't buying that many expensive small phones and those that buy phones aren't using them much to buy apps or things. It's not a very lucrative niche and we might become like dinosaurs.

FWIW, if the SE becomes unusable, my fallback is the X, and I'll deal with the bulk.
kayanco wrote:
Not familiar with it, but here's a comparison. Seems like an ok phone, but significant compromises from the flagship phones.
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... 8336#diff-*,*,*

slim

Post by slim » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm

I was in the same boat not long ago. Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact was the smallest with solid performance I could find at the time.

I don't think I've seen anything else as small with modern hardware still. Seems everyone prefers phablets these days.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Some phones let you do a mini screen, it will shrink the size down. my phone does it, but I never use it. then again, I have big hands.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm

slim wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm
I was in the same boat not long ago. Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact was the smallest with solid performance I could find at the time.

I don't think I've seen anything else as small with modern hardware still. Seems everyone prefers phablets these days.
It looked good to me also, except it does not have optical image stabilization, which I believe is a good feature to have.

numberman

Post by numberman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 pm

I'll echo the positive sentiment for Sony's Xperia Compact series. I have a Z3 Compact, and it's possibly the best phone I've had. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is that the usb port is under an annoying flap for its waterproof/dustproof feature (there's a sony-specific magnetic charger that can be used instead for charging, to avoid lifting the flap). More recent models get rid of that, though, and have a normal usb port.

I'm not one to care about camera performance, but others have said it takes good photos. It is old at this point, so it's stuck on whatever android version it's on, but I've never noticed any performance-related issues due to old hardware. Whenever I need to get a new phone, I'll probably get another Xperia Compact (possibly even another Z3 Compact, depending on what the going rate is for the newer models).

Random extra feature: there's a little nook in the frame of the phone where you can insert a wrist strap (like some digital cameras have). I'm probably one of the only Americans that uses it, but I like having it secure on my wrist sometimes, so I don't drop it when taking a picture on the side of a bridge, on a boat, etc.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 am

+1 for the Sony Xperia Compact line. My wife also needs a smaller phone and loves her Z3. They have some hits and misses in that series but usually solid Android devices with good to very good cameras.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am

kayanco wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm
It looked good to me also, except it does not have optical image stabilization, which I believe is a good feature to have.
You're asking a lot to squeeze into a smaller and smaller size. [And you're looking for long battery life, standby and talk times? It's much easier to fit lens modules, batteries and the kitchen sink when you have twice the volume] I looked for ois cameras (far more than I had expected) under 5" screens and came up zip.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Camer ... Camera/OIS

I've been reading that 2GB isn't enough for Android phones (I've been seeing 4GB and 6GB), so looked for 3GB+ phones and came up with over 800+! No shortage to choose from, but pickings from OIS and small size are slim. Forgot about the Samsung A3 (only has 2GB, no OIS), but it's a nice budget midrange small phone.

https://www.androidpit.com/sony-xperia- ... xy-a3-2017