Using deceased mother’s jewelry to create new wedding ring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aprilcpa

Using deceased mother’s jewelry to create new wedding ring

Post by aprilcpa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

A few weeks ago I fell down the stairs and had to have my wedding and engagement ring cut off. Since then, I am considering using the stones from my mom’s wedding/engagement ring and another ring of hers to create a new wedding ring for myself. Obviously I can’t wear all the rings at once. I usually wear my wedding ring on my left hand and my grandmother’s wedding set on my right hand. I have a matching diamond pendant/earring set that also was my grandmother’s so there is no other jewelry I would like at this time.

Has anyone ever done this before? I know two jewelers near me that could do this. Any reasons not to? Honestly the stones are not that large so it would be for sentimental reasons. I do have a daughter and a son (but I would never allow my son to give any of my family’s jewelry to an in-law).

rikki

Re: Using deceased mother’s jewelry to create new wedding ring

Post by rikki » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I used the diamond from my deceased mother's engagement ring to make an entirely new piece of jewelry (a necklace) some years ago. Because it was a large stone, there haven't been very many occasions when I've had a chance to wear it, and it was expensive to have it fabricated.So, I am ambivalent, but my idea had been to honor my mother by wearing it.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm

I had my father's ring made into a keychain fob. I got some credit for the gold I didn't use (I chose a base of silver) but I, too, was surprised at how much the fabrication cost. That said, it was well worth it to me and I got exactly what I wanted.

It brings me a bit of joy (especially on this Father's Day) every time I take my keys out of my pocket!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Raybo that’s very interesting!

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:59 pm

aprilcpa wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm
A few weeks ago I fell down the stairs and had to have my wedding and engagement ring cut off. Since then, I am considering using the stones from my mom’s wedding/engagement ring and another ring of hers to create a new wedding ring for myself. Obviously I can’t wear all the rings at once. I usually wear my wedding ring on my left hand and my grandmother’s wedding set on my right hand. I have a matching diamond pendant/earring set that also was my grandmother’s so there is no other jewelry I would like at this time.

Has anyone ever done this before? I know two jewelers near me that could do this. Any reasons not to? Honestly the stones are not that large so it would be for sentimental reasons. I do have a daughter and a son (but I would never allow my son to give any of my family’s jewelry to an in-law).
My wife had her mother's ring made into a necklace, which she wears close to her heart.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 pm

aprilcpa wrote:
DW did that a few years ago. The jeweler was able to cut up her mother’s ring in segments and put each segment in a new setting. By doing it in that manner it was much more cost effective than resetting all the individual stones...

danielrhall

Post by danielrhall » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm

rikki wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm
I used the diamond from my deceased mother's engagement ring to make an entirely new piece of jewelry (a necklace) some years ago. Because it was a large stone, there haven't been very many occasions when I've had a chance to wear it, and it was expensive to have it fabricated.So, I am ambivalent, but my idea had been to honor my mother by wearing it.
I did something similar. I bought my mother's engagement ring from her estate (paid my two sisters their share) and used the diamond for my fiancé's (now my wife) engagement ring. I then had a jeweler split the remaining gold ring in two and fashioned into two pendants, and presented them to my sisters at my wedding.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 am

I've done some similar custom work with outdated jewelry. I went "over budget" both times but was very happy with the end products that were gifts for my daughters that will carry on for another generation.
If you lose the story behind the jewelry, my fear is it will just be sold for nothing at estate sale when the kids have to clear out my house!
I do have my grandfathers possible wedding ring (he was a railway mechanic and didn't wear one) that my jeweler talked me out of melting- He could tell by the markings it was made prior to the 1940's...instead, when my grandson was born last Oct, we took a picture of him holding the ring in his tiny hand. Plan is to give it to him someday and it will represent 5 generations.

fcox85

Post by fcox85 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:57 am

aprilcpa wrote:

My wife has referred to this as "her favorite kind of recycling." Almost all of her wedding jewelry as well as other purchases are partially made from her mother and grandmother's (both deceased) jewelry:

Engagement Ring - the diamonds from her grandmother's engagement ring were re-set in a custom-made platinum setting w/ additional diamonds in a halo and around the band;
Wedding Ring - we removed the diamond from her mother's engagement ring, the setting was removed and smoothed out, and she now wears this as her wedding band;
Diamond Pendant Necklace (wedding gift) - the diamond from her mother's engagement ring was re-set in a pendant;
Emerald Christmas Present - the original setting from her grandmother's engagement ring I re-set with an emerald (her birthstone) and diamond baguettes to fill the settings where we previously removed the diamonds for her engagement ring.

My opinion is that it is always better to put family heirlooms to use, especially if they carry sentimental value. Otherwise they may just sit around collecting dust. If you have certain elements re-set, you are able to "make it your own" while still paying homage to deceased family members.

Beach376

Post by Beach376 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:40 pm

My 94 year old mom passed recently. Her modest wedding band with channel set diamonds was used with a few additional diamonds and a new band to provide matching wedding bands for both of our daughters who are getting married this year. They are thrilled to have matching rings from Grandma Millie. While the rings are simple and modest, they are very special, sentimental and deeply loved by my daughters.