Best stroller+infant seat for gravel roads?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
notmyhand

Best stroller+infant seat for gravel roads?

Post by notmyhand » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:30 pm

First baby, the options and prices are mind bogling. I live at the end of a 1000ft gravel driveway so thinking I need one of those jogger type strollers to go over the gravel but having a hard time finding a stroller and a car seat that works with it that is well rated and has side impact protection. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

LeviMama

Re: Best stroller+infant seat for gravel roads?

Post by LeviMama » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Congratulations on your new baby! Strollers and car seats are definitely an area where you get what you pay for, feature wise. All car seats on the market must pass the same safety tests, regardless of $80 or $400 pricetag, but the more pricey ones may offer premium cushioning and fabrics, higher weight and height limits, lighter Weight, easier installation and “tout” extra safety features like load legs and side impact protection (whether these are verified is another story). You absolutely do not need to get a matching brand infant car seat to the stroller as most mid-to-high end stroller brands will also offer car seat adaptors for a nominal price for you to safely click in your other-brand car seat. But also note that the car seat isn’t meant for extended use outside of your vehicle. The head positioning / angle isn’t great for extended use, especially for infants, so if you plan on extended evening walks around the manse look into getting a bassinet attachment so baby can lay flat.

For a stroller to use at home, you will be looking for something with foam or air tires and a solid suspension, preferably adjustable - that will make those bumps (almost) disappear for your sweet cargo. BOB and Mountain Buggy are the brands I would look at first. Costco sometimes sells a BOB stroller in store for a great price, and it may also be available online. I’ve also seen some heavily discounted ones at local Babies R Us stores that are in liquidation. And there’s always resale - check Craigslist or your local parent buy-sell groups on FB for gently used premium baby gear (not the car seat, get that new to ensure it’s never been in an accident!). Car Seat Lady and Car Seats for the Littles are great blogs / FB pages led by certified technicians that review tons of seats and will also give advice on what seats will work best for certain vehicles, budgets etc.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:09 pm

We have a standard stroller and car seat by Graco purchased new. The stroller is only for paved areas and smoothed paved or for when we are out and about shopping and so forth. Then we bought a jogging stroller with actual rubber tires off Facebook marketplace. We watched for ones that were higher end new but got it for about $50. Its wonderful on any surfaces.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm

We used the Chicco Keyfit 35 and BOB Revolution, with car seat adapter. I ran with my son starting around 2 weeks, and this combination was great. I ran on gravel paths regularly, so this should work for you. A few notes:

- if you are going to walk with the stroller you want a swivel front wheel. Running needs a locked wheel to be stable. If you want to do both with the same stroller, you need one that locks/unlocks.

- when the baby gets >17ish lbs, the stoller starts to become a little unstable running since the CoG is so high. Hopefully at this point baby is ready to use the stroller seat.

- the jogger type strollers roll super easy, make sure you use the strap!

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:46 pm

You aren't going to like the price of my suggestion. We used the bob revolution pro. Both of us run a lot. It worked well. It also is expensive. The double is even moreso. :shock:

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 pm

First, congrats on the new baby! As a dad of two littles under 3 at the moment, I would highly recommend the B.O.B. strollers. Yes, they are expensive, and big. We had a single when we had just one child, now we have the double. Wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. It's great for going to parks, walks, the zoo, you name it. They make car seat adapters for the infant carseats for pretty much all the major manufacturers, they just clip into the stroller. They also make a snack tray to snap into the same spot once you remove the adapter for the car seat for when the kid gets older. The only thing it's not great for is if you wanted to use it while shopping. It's size makes it a pain to maneuver around inside stores. My wife just uses an "umbrella" stroller in that situation though, or wears the 1 year old in a carrier. The B.O.B.'s take a beating, so I would just recommend you find one used on craigslist or the like. If it looks like it hasn't been completely abused it will probably last as long as you need it to. My wife is a fan of the Maclaren brand umbrella strollers. We've found all of ours used. I would highly recommend you or your wife join a local facebook buy-sell-trade group for kids stuff. Usually you can find all kinds of killer deals on lightly used stuff. :sharebeer

Balance

Post by Balance » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

We run/walk a lot on paved and gravel trails. We bought a BoB Revolution for our first son and now that we have two, we have a BoB Duallie Revolution. They work great for running and hold their value really well for re-sale. Depending on the accessories you buy, they can get pricey. We bought our first BoB with a big discount at REI and we bought our BoB Duallie during Black Friday on Amazon. You can also check Craigslist and Nextdoor as neighbors are always selling them when their kids get older.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 am

Bob Revolution with infant carseat adapter, hands down. Try Craigslist, local FB resale groups, etc... and you likely can get a decent deal on it.

We had bought ours in 2009 gently used for $250, and used it extensively on all kinds of terrain and conditions for about 8 years. Many times in that we used it as a 'double' by having our older kiddo sit in the 'foot part'. We took it backcountry hiking on rustic trails. We schleped around the city in the snow. After that I was able to sell it for $50 and it still was in pretty darned good condition.

Over the years, we've tried friends strollers for whatever reasons circumstances dictate and nothing has compared to the Bob.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

notmyhand

Post by notmyhand » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks everyone! I've added the BOB rambler travel system to my registry but will be looking for the revolution if I can find it on sale. That price tag! :moneybag Still glad to hear a consensus that it's a good one to use off road. Appreciate the help!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

notmyhand wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am
Thanks everyone! I've added the BOB rambler travel system to my registry but will be looking for the revolution if I can find it on sale. That price tag! :moneybag Still glad to hear a consensus that it's a good one to use off road. Appreciate the help!
BOB also makes a sport utility stroller that would be great for gravel roads. It has a fixed front wheel though, which makes it less versatile than the Revolution. I had the duallie sport utility stroller and didn't find the fixed front wheel to be that big of a deal. I kept a cheap folding stroller in the car for tooling around stores, etc., and just used the BOB for walking/running on streets around the house.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am

'Best?'

If that's really the criteria then the Thule Chariot lineup is hands-down the best active stroller on the market. Thule seems to be marketing these now first as bike trailers, but they were originally, under the Chariot name, sold as running strollers first, and adaptable via separate kits to bike trailer duty, regular stroller duty (via pivoting dual front wheels), even XC-ski duty. We had a double, a single, and a BOB at various points when the kids were younger. The Chariots are a significant step up from the BOB line - as they should be for essentially double the cost of a high-end BOB. Likely overkill though for all but the most active parents.

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 am

Millennial wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm
We used the Chicco Keyfit 35 and BOB Revolution, with car seat adapter.
+1 for BOB + Chicco Keyfit 35. While I live in a city and don't have to deal with gravel, I do have to deal with snowy, frozen over, poorly shoveled sidewalks. You can steer the BOB stroller using only one hand.

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

There is no "Best" stroller as families have different needs. For ours, a carrier is far superior to a stroller in most situations. We used an Ergo with the babies then a larger-size Tula for toddlers. My 2-year-old is regularly carried in the Tula and I can still carry my 4-year-old in it no problem (though rarely needed). I would have no use for a stroller that doesn't fit down a small grocery store aisle or fold up to stow behind a chair in a restaurant (not to mention I need to be able to take it on the subway). We didn't get a stroller until my first was about 4 months old. We have a compact, lightweight one (mountain buggy nano but if I were getting it now I would get a newer brand called zoe that seems similar but cheaper) that has been perfect for the occasions when we do need a stroller. We got the cheapest convertible carseat (Cosco Scenera - $40-45 and made in USA) that works for newborns through 4+ years and never did that carseat snapped on top of stroller thing. But we don't own a car so the carseats are also rarely used.

Obviously the OP is in a different setting but my point is to be wary of anything described as "the best" when your needs/lifestyle might not be the same.

TX_Drew

Post by TX_Drew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm

+1 for the BOB revolution. BTW it stands for Beast of Burden. It’s amazing.

dstac

Post by dstac » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Agree with the BOB. Why? Large rubber tires, shocks, easy rolling & still folds up relatively tight. (Ours was a double.)

We also had another one that was lighter, even larger bicycle wheels, more rigid (& a single). With a fixed front wheel, this was much better for actual running on paved roads. I think it was a Schwinn, but it was a 2nd hand from almost 10yrs ago. (But not as good for "around town" use)

While not great for your road, we also found the caddy carrier handy while in the infant phase. Took up far less space in the car when kiddos are still in the infant carry seat.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 pm

dstac wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm
Agree with the BOB. Why? Large rubber tires, shocks, easy rolling & still folds up relatively tight. (Ours was a double.)

We also had another one that was lighter, even larger bicycle wheels, more rigid (& a single). With a fixed front wheel, this was much better for actual running on paved roads. I think it was a Schwinn, but it was a 2nd hand from almost 10yrs ago. (But not as good for "around town" use)

While not great for your road, we also found the caddy carrier handy while in the infant phase. Took up far less space in the car when kiddos are still in the infant carry seat.
Just an FYI. You can fix the front wheel of the Bob as well for running, or have it rotate.

SelfEmployed123

Post by SelfEmployed123 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 am

Congratulations to you! There are so many baby products that it really is overwhelming.

I'm going to throw a vote in for the Thule Urban Glide. It is excellent. Very large tires and a very sturdy stroller. It is on the pricier side, but in my opinion it is money well spent. You can buy an adapter for it that will fit any car seat. https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Urban-Glid ... B00KNTHISK

Now that it is summer, I'm also going to recommend you look into the Snoozeshade sun cover. It's made of a very breathable material. Fits almost any stroller (including the Thule Urban Glide): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you add a baby registry on Amazon, you can sign up for some excellent coupons (I think 20% off if my memory serves me correctly). It's a very good deal. Also, we were able to buy the Thule Urban Glide on Cyber Monday, which resulted in it being over $100 off.

Congratulations again!
"Get what you can, and what you get hold, 'Tis the stone that will turn all your lead into gold." | -Benjamin Franklin

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 am

I'll add another vote for a BOB. We got a Bob SUV used off Craigslist. They are built to last so no reservations on buying used. Like other posters, we pair that with a cheap lightweight umbrella stroller when tooling around at the mall or someplace you don't want a big ol stroller in the way.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm

My wife thought the BOB was too heavy for her to carry (25 lbs), so we went with the City Mini GT (~20 lbs). We've liked it. Perhaps not as meant for major jogging as the BOB (the wheels are a bit smaller but still large), but we've had no problems with it on tough terrain including gravel, rocks, etc. And the ability for my wife to fold it up, put it in the trunk, take up stairs, etc. outweighed the costs for us. Slightly cheaper too, but not in a totally different atmosphere. It might be slighter narrower too, but not quite sure. It's still decently wide.