Swiss Rail - Point to Point Tickets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rainier

Swiss Rail - Point to Point Tickets

Post by Rainier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:35 am

I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer to this online and when I have asked the SBB questions in the past there always seems to be some misunderstanding.

The real reason I want to know is that I will likely have little time at the airport when I land to talk with the train people before I leave, and I want to go from the airport to my train as fast as possible when I arrive.

I'm landing at Geneva airport in the morning and want to get on a train to Grindelwald, but I would like to visit Interlaken for a few hours (maybe 6 hours or more). Interlaken is a stop on the route where I would normally have to change trains. For my one-way ticket that I buy (Geneva to Grindelwald) can I do a stopover in Interlaken for several hours? Or do I need to buy two tickets, GVA to Interlaken and Interlaken to Grindelwald.

I believe the standard ticket is good for one day so doing the stopover is not an issue, but would like some other thoughts on this.

AerialP

Re: Swiss Rail - Point to Point Tickets

Post by AerialP » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 am

Keep in mind the train from GVA airport is only to the Geneva Central Station, and is free of charge.
You can also get, from a little machine at the airport, a ticket which is specific to tourists and is free of charge and allows 80 minutes of free travel on all public transit in the Geneva area, in case you find a better alternative from a different train station in the metro area.

Is your only destination Grindelwald? In many cases the flexibility of the excellent SwissPass is well worth it, but if you are ONLY going from GVA to Grindelwald then it may not make sense since the most basic flavor of SwissPass is 3 days, although you can choose a 3day consecutive or 3day non consecutive version. I have always enjoyed the SwissPass on my trips there, and felt like I received maximum value simply due to the flexibility and its almost universal acceptance.

If after looking at the options, prices, map, and museum list on https://www.swiss-pass.ch/ and you decide to go for it, I recommend purchasing it via https://www.RailEurope.com and having it mailed to your house well before you depart. I also enjoy the raileurope website simply for planning & pricing guidance before a trip as sometimes the sbb.ch site seems cludgy to me (the only aspect of the Swiss rail system which isn't perfection!).

Wanderlust00

Post by Wanderlust00 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:47 am

It depends on the type of ticket you purchase. There are often cheaper tickets that commit you to a train at a set time (called "Supersaver" tickets). If, however, you just buy the regular price tickets you will be fine; the ticket will just show a date so it's good any time that day.

If you're going to be doing a fair amount of train travel check out the Half Fare travelcard - train tickets add up quickly so it may be worth it.

Have fun, and if you're looking for a hike check out the Eiger Trail!

Joe555

Post by Joe555 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 am

If I recall correctly, the tickets are valid on a specific route for the day listed, so you should be fine to stop in Interlaken.

pilot_error

Post by pilot_error » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:35 am

There is an SBB app that works well for analyzing time tables and options.

Also, when you are at the ticket machine, you can select a "via" city to make sure your route includes interlaken.

Also helpful to know which interlaken station you intend to get off at, simply because there are two.

But I agree you can by one ticket and simply hope off at interlaken for six hours. I recommend the schnapps tasting room.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:11 am

Wanderlust00 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:47 am
It depends on the type of ticket you purchase. There are often cheaper tickets that commit you to a train at a set time (called "Supersaver" tickets). If, however, you just buy the regular price tickets you will be fine; the ticket will just show a date so it's good any time that day.

If you're going to be doing a fair amount of train travel check out the Half Fare travelcard - train tickets add up quickly so it may be worth it.

Have fun, and if you're looking for a hike check out the Eiger Trail!
I did the Eiger Trail last year (35k race)...this year I am doing the 51k race on the other side of the valley in July. I'm only going for five days.

Yes, only really going to Grindelwald. The multi day pass doesn't make much sense. I priced out all my trips and am right at break even with the half fare card so will likely pass on that. Also thought about the Swiss Transfer ticket but I'd rather not have to lock in to that as the price is not that much cheaper than purchasing a full fare ticket.

Thanks all. Should be set with my stopover in Interlaken on a full fare ticket.