iPad Pro 12.9": Replacement for Laptop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RooseveltG

iPad Pro 12.9": Replacement for Laptop?

Post by RooseveltG » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm

I have been traveling with an old laptop, smaller iPad Pro and a Kindle. Instead of a new laptop, I am considering replacing all 3 devices with a 12.9 inch iPad and Apple Smart Keyboard. My computing needs consist of Keynote presentations, word processing, email and the web.

I am wondering if anyone who has scrapped their laptop for an iPad/keyboard combination can share their experience. Is this a viable option?

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.

Alexa9

Re: iPad Pro 12.9": Replacement for Laptop?

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I would say no. The keyboards and apps are just not as good as a laptop with a cursor for word processing. That size iPad is a little awkward and heavy to hold as well. The iPad is great for watching a movie on the plane, games for the kids, or browsing, but doesn't fully replace a computer. I think the Kindle App on your laptop could replace the Kindle and a newer laptop could replace the iPad. But, it's very personal and only you can decide.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm

I am so happy with my new MacBook 12" laptop that I may stop using my iPad altogether.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:05 pm

RooseveltG wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm
I have been traveling with an old laptop, smaller iPad Pro and a Kindle. Instead of a new laptop, I am considering replacing all 3 devices with a 12.9 inch iPad and Apple Smart Keyboard. My computing needs consist of Keynote presentations, word processing, email and the web.

I am wondering if anyone who has scrapped their laptop for an iPad/keyboard combination can share their experience. Is this a viable option?

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
I've used Macs for 25+ years exclusively. I've used an ipad for 7 to 8 of those years for business; primarily word processing, spreadsheets, record-keeping, email and internet. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and have found it far more suitable for everything I like/need to do and have pretty much stopped using my iPad. My suggestion for streamlining is to replace everything with a mac laptop.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm
I think the Kindle App on your laptop could replace the Kindle and a newer laptop could replace the iPad. But, it's very personal and only you can decide.
It is, as you say, really personal. But I can’t imagine sitting at the beach with my laptop reading a book. I don’t even like to use my iPad for that. The kindle weighs less and has a better display for outdoor reading.

I often travel just with my regular iPad and my Kindle, but I would not give up my MacBook Pro.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:29 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm
I think the Kindle App on your laptop could replace the Kindle and a newer laptop could replace the iPad. But, it's very personal and only you can decide.
It is, as you say, really personal. But I can’t imagine sitting at the beach with my laptop reading a book. I don’t even like to use my iPad for that. The kindle weighs less and has a better display for outdoor reading.

I often travel just with my regular iPad and my Kindle, but I would not give up my MacBook Pro.
Right. No one thing can do all three but you certainly can't do much with the Kindle other than read if you're looking to just use one device. The kindle app is great for reading in hotel/airplane/home/coffee shop though. In terms of functionality it's roughly Desktop>Laptop>Tablet>Smartphone>Apple Watch>Kindle. I think the Kindle is a great device and you shouldn't get rid of it IF you use it a lot. I know many people that do everything on their smartphones now. I'm at home a lot and don't travel much so I use a desktop the most. It feels good to have the right mix of gadgets and not have stuff you don't use.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm
Right. No one thing can do all three but you certainly can't do much with the Kindle other than read if you're looking to just use one device. The kindle app is great for reading in hotel/airplane/home/coffee shop though. In terms of functionality it's roughly Desktop>Laptop>Tablet>Smartphone>Apple Watch>Kindle. I think the Kindle is a great device and you shouldn't get rid of it IF you use it a lot.
I read a lot. Not necessarily only on my Kindle - I read online stuff on my iPad... eg right now, sitting on my couch. I also like paper books from the library, just not for traveling.

And I have no desire to do everything with one device if that compromises the experience sufficiently. For example, the Kindle doesn’t add sufficient weight or consume a lot of space in my travel bag that I worry about taking it in addition to my iPad and smart phone if I expect to find time for reading. The laptop, on the other hand, stays at home if I am fairly certain I won’t need to do any real work (software engineer). I am willing to compromise on email experience in exchange for not having to carry another 4 lbs of expensive and fragile gear.

My personal choice.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 pm

I keep trying to talk myself into an iPad. I've tried out a few, we have two for the kids.

It's great for entertaining children, but I vastly prefer a 13" MBP for everything else. I bought and returned a 10.5" Pro. Apple did a great job inventing something everyone seems to want but few really need.

kjvm

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:58 am

I have an old Kindle but am pretty much down to iPad for reading books/newspapers/Facebook and a laptop for writing and work-related things. But even to read Bogleheads I use the laptop rather than the iPad, since I find the former so much faster; I go through the Bogleheads index and Control-click on the items that interest me, opening a new tab behind the current tab (in Chrome); then when I have a bunch of threads selected I read them through. This is possible on the iPad but is far slower since the new tabs don't load until they have focus, whereas on the laptop they load in the background.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:31 am

I find my MacBook Pro to be far more useful. I received an iPad as a gift and used it for a few things at first but realized that If I was doing something quick on the go I could use my iPhone and for everything else my laptop was better

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 am

RooseveltG wrote:

Have you looked at the Logitech CREATE? It's better for typing apparently, cheaper, backlit and makes use of the same connection mechanism (which doesn't use bluetooth) but also heavier.

Also, 12" macBook isn't much heavier than a 12.9" iPad pro without any keyboard and a little less than when including the smart keyboard. But if you like the touch screen...

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 am

I'm a big fan of the Windows Surface Pro tablet/PCs. I got one a few months ago and couldn't be happier. It is a Windows PC(once you snap on the magnetic keyboard), and a tablet once you snap the keyboard off, but with full PC functionality. The OS is optimized for touch once there's no keyboard attached. And it actually IS a PC, with full PC functionality whether in tablet or laptop mode. No sneaky Apple shenanigans to get you to buy BOTH a desktop/laptop and an iPad. Everything on a windows desktop works exactly the same on a Surface Pro. I love mine and get the full PC experience on it.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 am

The only thing that can replace a Kindle is a book, as reading on an ipad is a totally different experience.

Books and Kindles print the text on the screen (paper) and the ambient light from your lights or the sun reflects off the surface so you can read. An iPad generates its own light and projects it into your eyes. Kindles that have lights for nighttime reading actually shine the light through the protective glass and down onto the printed text (like a real book, not like an ipad).

What does this mean? Kindles don't generate eye strain like an ipad does.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 am

Would not work for me. I still prefer to read printed books and such. Never got used to Kindle, and even worse on iPad Kindle App. Will use those in a pinch, but avoid them. The iPad is great for many web surfing needs and watching video. I can do 50-75% of what I need on it, but there's still a significant need for a laptop.

The weight of the 12.9 is too heavy for me, but the 10.5 is perfect. I was a fan of the 8" iPad mini when the original iPad weighed twice as much, but now with the iPad weighing in at 1 pound, it's the perfect screen size to weight ratio for me. But I still need my laptop/keyboard. It's not just the keyboard though (that can be fixed by an attachment). It's the software that's just not completely able to take over yet.

Does iOS Safari let you default to "request Desktop site" yet? That's a necessary step towards replacing laptop IMO. And it must work well on vast majority of sites. It's about 80-90% there for me, but it needs to be > 99% (like a chromebook).

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 am

I would say no. In my world a desktop, a larger iPad, an iPad mini, a Kindle, and an iPhone all serve their own purposes and are not interchangeable. Which one's go where at any time is always a choice to be addressed. I suspect the advocates of a real laptop probably have a point, but I don't have a laptop.

I have noticed that the world is full of people who have been conned into horribly non-ergonomic choices for lots of computing tasks and seem to go ahead blissfully convinced everything is fine.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 am

If those are all your needs, then an iPad Pro would definitely work. Blue Woman uses her iPad Pro for reading and annotating documents for work. My mother in law uses her iPad with a keyboard and does a lot of typing on there too. Both of them have Mac laptops that they use for other purposes. Would I do it? No, because I have other needs for my computer. But if you're doing pretty basic stuff then your proposed set up would work just fine.

Blue Man

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 am

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm
I am so happy with my new MacBook 12" laptop that I may stop using my iPad altogether.
The 12" Macbook seems like the best answer for me with the listed tasks. OP, which activities listed ("Keynote presentations, word processing, email and the web.") do you reach for the iPad first? And if you're traveling, keeping things light is important, I would guess you wouldn't have to touch the iPad, but having a backup device that can do some of those tasks while providing entertainment would be something I'd take with me anyway on longer trips. I haven't attempted these type of tasks with a keyboard, but simply played around with them using the onboard keyboard, and didn't think the software/interface was up to the task, even if using an external keyboard.

Do you have an Apple Pencil? Part of my problem is that I have to unlearn things, which makes it harder than someone who's starting new, so these factors and how quickly you adapt may also make a difference in achieving what you're asking.

http://stephenmarsh.wikidot.com/living-with-an-ipad-pro

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:19 pm

A Surface Pro would be a better laptop replacement than an iPad Pro. Also at a much steeper price.

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:21 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:19 pm
A Surface Pro would be a better laptop replacement than an iPad Pro. Also at a much steeper price.
There's a sale looks like through Fathers Day weekend... If the OP is interested might be nice to save a couple hundred bucks on the Surface Pro.

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft- ... o-599-deal

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I used an Android tablet with a bluetooth chiclet keyboard for 90% of my MBA coursework, falling back to laptop or desktop when that didn't fly. It was passable and highly portable. The tablet is currently sitting disassembled on my desk awaiting a new battery to arrive from Asia, so I temporarily killed it in the process of my education.

Fintechnick

Post by Fintechnick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 pm

I think iPad Pro 12.9” is great. For me, ideal combination for personal use is:
- Desktop setup at home. Currently a MacBook plugged into monitor and speakers; formerly a Mac Mini. Would love to get an updated Mac Mini if it is ever produced.
- iPad Pro as the “movable” computer. I have a Logitech keyboard / case combo that is great. Also Apple Pencil is very handy. I agree that the Apple Smart Keyboard is not great, look at the Logitech ones instead.

If you want to use iPad Pro as your mobile computer you need to be prepared to make some changes in your app usage. For example:

Photography: I dropped Adobe and moved everything to Apple Photos w/ iCloud storage. I’m much happier with the change. At this point there is a very good ecosystem of plug-in tools for Photos on both Mac and IOS. And I love having photo library synced across all my devices. Get the Apple camera connector dongle for $29, it’s very handy.

Music: I’m all in on Apple Music. I still have my old iTunes library, synce’d via ITunes Match for $25 a year and that’s a good value. Can only manage metadata from Mac not IOS but I only do that about twice a year at this point.

Email: iOS email app is quite good at this point. Built-in Siri help is subtle but nice. Auto-prompts to add contacts, add calendar events, etc.

Documents: iOS “pretty good” but not hard core. If you are producing hard-core documents, desktop still more efficient. Examples; you can use but not modify style sheets on iOS. Pretty similar story for both MS Office and Apple iWorks. Between the two I prefer the Apple software but work world runs on Office 365 so use that more. I’ve been surprised how good Pages in particular is on iOS. As long as you can set up your style sheets on desktop, then you could easily write entire long-form documents on iOS pages. And iOS also has winners like Ulysses for serious writers, if that’s what you need.

Personal finance software: Quicken and and Banktivity are sub-par on iOS. You’ll want to choose PFS that shines on mobile. I’ve moved to YNAB and Personal Capital and they both shine on mobile. For taxes, I still prefer the desktop version of TurboTax as it supports printing hard copies. I will note that is a commercial choice on part of Intuit and not an iOS device limitation (Intuit wants to charge per return filed, and they can’t do that if the software lets you print).

Note taking: iPad is great! Apple Notes pretty good, but also check out Notability.

Graphics: A very diverse category. For the little bit of graphics work that I do, OmniGraffle and Concepts are good. I’m mostly doing utility work, not serious work. I do know that many commercial artist-types are beginning to make iPad a key part of their workflow. Large screen of the iPad Pro 12.9” is very handy for graphics and photos.

The one category of software that I still iPad to be deficient, is documente scanning. I have one of the Fujitsu desktop scanners, which is great for digitizing everything that comes into the house quickly and easily. It’s still much easier to do that on desktop than iOS.

I have been using iPad so long for “real” work that I occasionally find it awkward to use a MacBook. I’ll find myself reaching up to touch the screen to scroll as I would on my iPad!

All this said, for corporate cubicle work, I’d say laptop still mandatory and iPad is a supplement. Too many enterprise apps that work poorly or not at all on iOS. So if that’s your use case stick with laptop.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:00 pm

RooseveltG wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
For your uses an iPad Pro would be very good.
I have been using Apple products since 2006 and have extremely happy with all.
My wife and I each have a MacBookPro, an ipadPro 10.5 with Apple Pencil, an iPhone 6sPlus, an Apple Watch.
We love the compatibility of all these.
We also have a Surface Pro 4 and like it too. I can use my Apple wireless keyboard with it no problems.
My MBP is my go-to machine when at my desk...hands down the best laptop money can buy IMHO.
I find my iPadPro nice to use at McDonalds, Panera Bread, places that I won’t take my MBP.
In its current configuration my iPadPro will not replace my MBP regardless of what Tim Cook says.
I am typing this reply as I am sitting in my recliner watching the Yankees play Tampa Bay.
Couldn’t imagine the larger, heavier MBP for this.

Good Luck with your choice....the iPadPro is great for most things.

wibadger

Post by wibadger » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 pm

When testing a new device/workflow, you should check the return policies of BestBuy, Apple, etc. You can then get the device and test it during the return period. Actually using the device will be the best way to determine if it satisfies or improves your workflow needs.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:07 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:00 pm

My wife and I each have a MacBookPro, an ipadPro 10.5 with Apple Pencil, an iPhone 6sPlus, an Apple Watch.
We also have a Surface Pro 4 and like it too. I can use my Apple wireless keyboard with it no problems.
My MBP is my go-to machine when at my desk...hands down the best laptop money can buy IMHO.
I find my iPadPro nice to use at McDonalds, Panera Bread, places that I won’t take my MBP.
In its current configuration my iPadPro will not replace my MBP regardless of what Tim Cook says.
I am typing this reply as I am sitting in my recliner watching the Yankees play Tampa Bay.

I can't get comfortable typing from my recliner on an iPad. Touch screen typing is a poor substitute for a physical keyboard. I find it awkward to try and arrange the Smart Keyboard on my lap or half rested on the arm of the recliner while typing. I'm typing this from the arm of my chair on my MBP. The iPad sort of falls over without a dedicated flat surface IMO.

Also - Why would you not take a MBP to Panera Bread? I had taken mine there countless times with no issues. What generation of MBP do you have? The current generation is ridiculously thin and portable.

If you paid about average prices for your tech - each item with the lowest storage, you have $6510 worth of equipment, not counting your Surface Book.

I will only point this out because this is Bogleheads, but you can get a snappy Chromebook with a higher resolution QHD touch screen (Samsung CB Plus) which folds into a tablet for $300. Then you'd have a laptop/tablet for you and your wife for $600. As my MacBook and Apple equipment ages out, I will be purchasing the latest generation of Chromebook. It's getting too hard to justify the cost. Google Photos, Movies Anywhere etc.

kjvm

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks to all who responded.

There is no perfect device that does it all!

Roosevelt.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:07 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
I can't get comfortable typing from my recliner on an iPad. Touch screen typing is a poor substitute for a physical keyboard. I find it awkward to try and arrange the Smart Keyboard on my lap or half rested on the arm of the recliner while typing. I'm typing this from the arm of my chair on my MBP. The iPad sort of falls over without a dedicated flat surface IMO.

Also - Why would you not take a MBP to Panera Bread? I had taken mine there countless times with no issues. What generation of MBP do you have? The current generation is ridiculously thin and portable.
bondsr4me, are you using an external keyboard? What's your preferred device when writing a lot of replys here? For reading BH, the iPad is great, but if I have to write more than 100 characters, I'm with kjvmartin and reach for a Chromebook or Macbook. I've experimented with those 2-in-1, but for me they're the worst of all worlds, not best. Maybe one they, they'll figure it out, but for me, it just hasn't worked, and iPad with keyboard would be no better. I am intrigued with the Apple Pencil, so if that can be used successfully instead of a keyboard for typing, and add to that the notetaking/annotating benefits, it could be a game changer. But alas, I'm not ready to plunk down another $500+ for failed experiment. I'll let the schools try it out first and if it works for them the way the Chromebooks have, then maybe I'll be a later adopter.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/1716 ... dents-2018

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:16 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:07 pm
bondsr4me wrote:

I have a Logitech case with keyboard for my iPad Pro, so it props up pretty easily.

My MBP is a mid 2015.
If you paid about average prices for your tech - each item with the lowest storage, you have $6510 worth of equipment, not counting your Surface Book.
not sure of my investment in technology; don't keep track of it.

I will only point this out because this is Bogleheads, but you can get a snappy Chromebook with a higher resolution QHD touch screen (Samsung CB Plus) which folds into a tablet for $300. Then you'd have a laptop/tablet for you and your wife for $600. As my MacBook and Apple equipment ages out, I will be purchasing the latest generation of Chromebook. It's getting too hard to justify the cost. Google Photos, Movies Anywhere etc.

I am not a Google fan, at least not now anyway. At the present time, we are very happy in the Apple ecosystem...all devices work well together.

kjvm

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 am

My laptop and iPad are for different purposes.
The iPad is my most personal device. I use t a LOT. Browsing, email, etc. light duty things.

The laptop is for more strenuous work. Programming, weaving software, spreadsheets. Anything which is more CPU intensive.

For me the small iPad Pro would be best. The 12.9” is too big for me.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 am
My laptop and iPad are for different purposes.
The iPad is my most personal device. I use t a LOT. Browsing, email, etc. light duty things.

The laptop is for more strenuous work. Programming, weaving software, spreadsheets. Anything which is more CPU intensive.

For me the small iPad Pro would be best. The 12.9” is too big for me.
I work at extremes. For portable use I have dropped down to the iPad Mini for less weight and smaller size. For "real" computing I use a desktop with a big monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Even worse the desktop is a PC though other family members use an iMac. Yes, there is an iPhone as well. That is for when traveling mostly. For reading I still have an original Kindle with the white page screen. Anything bigger is too heavy and the battery runs out too fast. It weighs only 2/3 the weight of the mini. I find it hard to imagine carrying an actual lap top around anywhere, but then I am past traveling on business, so that would be a different case. I don't even carry a cell phone of any kind with me most places most times of the day.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:41 pm

I have a 2016 MacBook with the retina display. It replaced a work iPad with external Logitech keyboard.

Ultimately, my need to use spreadsheets and do a lot of typing/email made the MacBook the better choice.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 pm

The Kindle can easily be gotten rid of. Both the laptop and iPad have that capability.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:05 pm
I've used Macs for 25+ years exclusively. I've used an ipad for 7 to 8 of those years for business; primarily word processing, spreadsheets, record-keeping, email and internet. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and have found it far more suitable for everything I like/need to do and have pretty much stopped using my iPad. My suggestion for streamlining is to replace everything with a mac laptop.
I purchased a MacBook Pro over three years ago and thus far it has been the best laptop or computer I have ever used. I am very happy with everything.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm

I suspect with the use of iCloud, one really does not need a large harddrive any longer. Everything is in the cloud including documents, pictures, music, etc.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
The iPad Pro 12.9 starts around $799 (retail) and goes over $1000. The Surface Pro (newest version) also starts at $799 but with double the iPad's storage.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
Ha! I've used Macs exclusively since 1984, so 34 years :). My 2015 MacBook Pro was/is my "retirement computer", and I maxed out everything, cpu speed, RAM, SSD capacity, and three years later it remains just perfect for everything I do. That said....

I also have an old iPad Mini 2 (the first one with a retina display) and it makes a great sort of Kindle+. Fantastic battery life, over a week in my light usage, and it does lightweight tasks like email, and web browsing. Not as nicely as the laptop, but it is so portable, and...did I mention the batter life?

Two younger friends have switched to iPads for all their work. BUT, you need a good keyboard for that, and Brydge seems to be the choice. I'd consider this approach IF the iPad would sense and work with a mouse/trackpad. Microsoft got this right with Surface, and Apple has gotten it wrong. But the iPad now has MS Office and it can be a productivity/office tool. But once you add the keyboard, you've basically just made the whole thing into a laptop, so why not just get the laptop to begin with?

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 pm

iPad is amazing, and I do a lot of work with it. Since I develop Windows software and run complex scripts, I can't use it for 100% of my workflow but I am getting closer every year.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am

chuckb84 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 pm
keepingitsimple wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:
Ha! I've used Macs exclusively since 1984, so 34 years :).
Dang, you win :sharebeer

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

keepingitsimple wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am
chuckb84 wrote:
keepingitsimple wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:
Just curious, what do you use for spreadsheets on your iPad?
I have used the Apple Numbers when doing small stuff.
I do have Office 365 available too, but not installed on my iPadPro.
I use my Apple Pencil on my iPadPro as a mouse pointer, but mostly my finger.
My goto workhouse is still my MacBookPro (2015).
By far the best laptop on the market IMHO.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am
keepingitsimple wrote:
chuckb84 wrote:
keepingitsimple wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:
I use Apple Numbers, though I don't like it as well as Excel.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am

keepingitsimple wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am
bondsr4me wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am
keepingitsimple wrote:
chuckb84 wrote:
keepingitsimple wrote:

I use Apple Numbers, though I don't like it as well as Excel.
Yes, I agree with this.
I am used to using Excel in my previous life as a financial person.
I do like the idea that Numbers if free, but I don't quack too much about paying for Office 365.
Thanks for the reply.

Post by 2015 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:03 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm
I suspect with the use of iCloud, one really does not need a large harddrive any longer. Everything is in the cloud including documents, pictures, music, etc.
I intend to switch to a Mac in the near future in order to avoid a number of issues with Microsoft (e.g., Windoze 10, update debacles, etc.) that would come with getting another laptop. OTOH, I will never use iCloud as I have no documents in the cloud which haven't been encrypted on my machine first. Google drive allows for 15G of storage and it looks like I'll be using a combination of Apple/Google environments (i.e., my phone is an android). I intend to use LibreOffice for Mac because I've been meaning to get away from MS Office for some time and this will be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Many thanks to all for their very helpful information here as I am approaching this switch from PC to Mac with a bit of trepidation as it will represent a sea change. Thankfully, a friend has sworn by Macs for years.

nasrullah

Post by nasrullah » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:41 pm

RooseveltG wrote:
For me the iPad is the holy grail device. Small, lightweight, great battery, reasonably rugged, built in LTE... GSuite and Office 365 both work great. Couple them with Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc... and you can get everything on the go.

Paul Stamatiou (a designer at Twitter) just made the jump and documented his experience so far here: https://paulstamatiou.com/made-on-an-ipad-pro/

My takeaway on this topic is it's an extremely personal decision. You really have to buy one and try it. It might work for you, it might not. I just haven't been able to make the jump. My productivity loss is just too high going from laptop to iPad. I keep trying, and it's just _almost_ but not quite there for me.

When I'm at my office I use a 27" iMac. When I travel I want a small device that fits with all of my things in a single carryon. The 12.9" is too big for my bag, even the 13" MacBook Pro feels large. I ended up with a 12" MacBook. It's frustrating when working in multiple word docs or spreadsheets but it gets the job done.
"We have a lot to do, and very little time, so we must work slowly." Liviu Ciulei | | Thanks vineviz (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=134698) for the quote.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm
killjoy2012 wrote:
The iPad Pro 12.9 starts around $799 (retail) and goes over $1000. The Surface Pro (newest version) also starts at $799 but with double the iPad's storage.
The key word there is "starts". A Surface Pro is configurable like a laptop. If you can live with the bare bones $799 config - great. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything less than Core i5/7 with a 500GB+ SSD and 16 GB RAM... which puts you easily north of $2k. But it's also a fully functioning laptop replacement, unlike the iPad Pro IMO. If I had a hard budget limit of $800, I'd probably buy the iPad Pro just knowing it's limitations.

I use my iPad for casual Web browsing, gaming, and as my primary compute device when on personal travel. But there's no way I'd even consider trying to replace my work laptop with it, and certainly not my personal desktop. Tablets and serious work just don't jive. And as the OP mentioned needing to do keynote presentations, good luck traveling the world visiting various hotel conference rooms and connecting your Ipad to their projector technology. Getting a Windows laptop working with projectors can be a challenge, let alone a tablet that only has a lightning connector and only talks the iOS ecosystem of protocols. Not to mention running MS PPT on iOS.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 am

nasrullah wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:41 pm
I ended up with a 12" MacBook. It's frustrating when working in multiple word docs or spreadsheets but it gets the job done.
I've also moved away from Excel to LibreOffice because I don't use spreadsheets all that often now. It works ok in Windows and I'm about to see how similar it will be in MacOS. I tried Google Sheets, but Excel and LibreOffice still seem to work faster and have more functionality that I need (or can find more easily). It looks like for iOS, there's only a reader version, but hopefully they're working to being LibreOffice to iOS someday.

You're probably familiar with Spaces, but in case you're not, it can be helpful when working with a smaller screen.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25574?locale=en_US

Between the split views, windows views and switching spaces, there's a lot of room to maneuver. The keyboard shortcuts are very efficient at flipping from one area to another and Mission Control to find something if you have too many windows and spaces.

I'm not having an easy time with Split View on my 9.7" iPad, so they need to improve that before I do more complex tasks on the iPad and I don't suppose the 12.9 is that much better.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm
killjoy2012 wrote:
The key word there is "starts". A Surface Pro is configurable like a laptop. If you can live with the bare bones $799 config - great. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything less than Core i5/7 with a 500GB+ SSD and 16 GB RAM... which puts you easily north of $2k. But it's also a fully functioning laptop replacement, unlike the iPad Pro IMO. If I had a hard budget limit of $800, I'd probably buy the iPad Pro just knowing it's limitations.

I use my iPad for casual Web browsing, gaming, and as my primary compute device when on personal travel. But there's no way I'd even consider trying to replace my work laptop with it, and certainly not my personal desktop. Tablets and serious work just don't jive. And as the OP mentioned needing to do keynote presentations, good luck traveling the world visiting various hotel conference rooms and connecting your Ipad to their projector technology. Getting a Windows laptop working with projectors can be a challenge, let alone a tablet that only has a lightning connector and only talks the iOS ecosystem of protocols. Not to mention running MS PPT on iOS.
An iPad pro will not run the types of apps a Surface will. I don't really think they are comparable. Many apps that you can get won't be as robust on an iPad. If your needs are simple, that might not matter. You can run a full version of Photoshop, software development tools and virtually any serious business application on a Surface. The same isn't true of an iPad. To be honest, given the description of what the OP wants to do, a Chromebook will do that.

Cop51

Post by Cop51 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Ever since the iPhone 6 came out with the bigger screen I stopped using my iPad altogether. My web browsing is done on my phone, my minimal work is done on my 11' MacBook air. I use my kindle bc I read a lot by the pool and on the beach. The iPad is impossible to read on in the sun.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 pm
And as the OP mentioned needing to do keynote presentations, good luck traveling the world visiting various hotel conference rooms and connecting your Ipad to their projector technology. Getting a Windows laptop working with projectors can be a challenge, let alone a tablet that only has a lightning connector and only talks the iOS ecosystem of protocols. Not to mention running MS PPT on iOS.
I haven't had to do this, but I would assume HDMI is fairly standard these days. Can anyone confirm or refute based on recent experience?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/md82 ... av-adapter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6VxFNYqQI

Giving a presentation should be relatively easy, but I don't know about making one on an iOS device, especially a moderate complex one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsr8EW8SPCU

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 pm

I've used various devices here... I find an e-ink Kindle by far the best for reading (I use the kindle app on my phone for when I don't want to carry the kindle out of the house)

Although I have an iPad for light use and travel, I've found that our 13" and 15" MBPs are the best overall devices for us. We use them for most everything else over the iPad. For travel, I also have a very cheap 11" chrome book we won at a school event... I tend to carry it more now.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt